ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Acuna's extension close to what we can expect for Vlad, Bo?

Moderator: JaysRule15

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,448

Is Acuna's extension close to what we can expect for Vlad, Bo? 

Post#1 » by dagger » Tue Apr 2, 2019 4:27 pm

Acuna is in the majors, of course, and raking

This would seem to set a ceiling for extensions, more so than the White Sox with Eloy. Perhaps the two deals set a range in which rookie extensions will settle.

Read on Twitter
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Re: Is Acuna's extension close to what we can expect for Vlad, Bo? 

Post#2 » by vaff87 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 4:29 pm

Those two haven't played a game in the majors, yet. So who knows?
vaff87
RealGM

Post#3 » by vaff87 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 4:31 pm

This takes away two free agency years, right?
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,448

Post#4 » by dagger » Tue Apr 2, 2019 4:39 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
vaff87
RealGM

Post#5 » by vaff87 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 4:42 pm

Damn, what a deal for the Braves. 8 years + two team options.
torontoaces04
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#6 » by torontoaces04 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 4:44 pm

AA killing it
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 119,974

Post#7 » by JaysRule15 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 4:59 pm

Amazing deal for the Braves. Even if Acuna isn't worth it (which is doubtful), you're not paying a whole lot.
torontoaces04
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#8 » by torontoaces04 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 5:46 pm

JaysRule15 wrote:Amazing deal for the Braves. Even if Acuna isn't worth it (which is doubtful), you're not paying a whole lot.

Acuna could outperform this contract after 3 years.

Unbelievable deal
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,047

Post#9 » by Schad » Tue Apr 2, 2019 9:33 pm

Hard not to get the sense that players/agents think that they're not going to exactly run roughshod in the next CBA negotiations, despite how quickly things have shifted toward the owners.

I'd throw that deal at Vlad day one (8 years/$100m was kinda my benchmark, and the two option years are spectacular), and I increasingly wonder whether he might take it, family money or no.
**** your asterisk.
vaff87
RealGM

Post#10 » by vaff87 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 9:34 pm

I believe guys like Vlad and Bo will prioritize happiness and winning over money. We just have to ensure they like it here.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,929

Post#11 » by Ado05 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 10:06 pm

**** it, give Vlad 200 million for 15 years yolo
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#12 » by The_Hater » Tue Apr 2, 2019 10:23 pm

Let’s hope Guerrero and Bichette are good enough to deserve that extension.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#13 » by Skin Blues » Wed Apr 3, 2019 1:11 pm

Schad wrote:Hard not to get the sense that players/agents think that they're not going to exactly run roughshod in the next CBA negotiations, despite how quickly things have shifted toward the owners.

I'd throw that deal at Vlad day one (8 years/$100m was kinda my benchmark, and the two option years are spectacular), and I increasingly wonder whether he might take it, family money or no.

Offer it to him a couple weeks before the projected Super 2 deadline. I think that's legally as close as you can get to extortion!
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#14 » by Tanner » Wed Apr 3, 2019 6:22 pm

Acuna signed for $100k. He probably has no idea what his actual value is and just took the money when it was there for him.

Vlad signed for $4 mil and Bichette signed for $1.1 mil. Both have successful and multi millionaire fathers who played in the majors. Don't think Shapiro is going to be able to take advantage of these kids like AA did with Acuna. I think with Bo there might be a chance to sign him to a reasonable extension, but Vlad will laugh at Acuna money.
vaff87
RealGM

Post#15 » by vaff87 » Wed Apr 3, 2019 6:26 pm

Acuna has an agent, you know?

And why do people seem to think guys who grew up rich are going to be greedier?
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Schad » Wed Apr 3, 2019 6:32 pm

Acuna is represented by Greg Genske's agency; Jays fans might recognize him as Vernon Wells' agent at the time that he signed his mega-deal. I sincerely doubt that Acuna had no idea of his value and simply signed whatever paper was in front of him.
**** your asterisk.
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#17 » by Tanner » Wed Apr 3, 2019 6:51 pm

Then his agent did him dirty. Either way, it's not good for him.

Elite players still get paid. They always will. Acuna isn't some low ceiling prospect who had a good year and cashed out. He could have been a free agent at age 27, after making $50-60 mil in arb, and got a contract that would have killed what he's been guaranteed now for essentially all of his 20's.

That was an irresponsible signing on his part. And you're kidding yourself if you think environment has nothing to do with signing contracts. If I was 20 and someone said I'll give you a million dollars a year for 10 years, I would have jumped on it because I never saw that type of money before. But if I grew up wealthy, and knew I was worth 3 times that amount, then why the hell would I sign it when waiting a few years would have meant way more? Perspectives matter.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#18 » by Skin Blues » Wed Apr 3, 2019 6:53 pm

vaff87 wrote:Acuna has an agent, you know?

I think the "he probably has no idea what his actual value is and just took the money when it was there for him" comment was referring to when he signed for $100K.

And it's not about guys with rich fathers being greedy, it's about the money not being life-changing for them. Vlad and Bo are not hurting for cash right now. They have low risk aversion. Vlad much more so than Bo. So, we might be able to get Bichette to sign one of these 8 year deals with team options. I don't see it with Vlad, though.
vaff87
RealGM

Post#19 » by vaff87 » Wed Apr 3, 2019 7:02 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
vaff87 wrote:Acuna has an agent, you know?

I think the "he probably has no idea what his actual value is and just took the money when it was there for him" comment was referring to when he signed for $100K.

And it's not about guys with rich fathers being greedy, it's about the money not being life-changing for them. Vlad and Bo are not hurting for cash right now. They have low risk aversion. Vlad much more so than Bo. So, we might be able to get Bichette to sign one of these 8 year deals with team options. I don't see it with Vlad, though.

It wasn't.

AS I've said before, I think for guys like that happiness and winning are bigger priorities than money. So I think if they're happy and like it here, they'll be willing to sign an extension.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Schad » Wed Apr 3, 2019 7:06 pm

Tanner wrote:Then his agent did him dirty. Either way, it's not good for him.

Elite players still get paid. They always will. Acuna isn't some low ceiling prospect who had a good year and cashed out. He could have been a free agent at age 27, after making $50-60 mil in arb, and got a contract that would have killed what he's been guaranteed now for essentially all of his 20's.

That was an irresponsible signing on his part. And you're kidding yourself if you think environment has nothing to do with signing contracts. If I was 20 and someone said I'll give you a million dollars a year for 10 years, I would have jumped on it because I never saw that type of money before. But if I grew up wealthy, and knew I was worth 3 times that amount, then why the hell would I sign it when waiting a few years would have meant way more? Perspectives matter.

There's nothing irresponsible about it. Here's the thing: whether you're Acuna or Vlad or whoever, $100m in guaranteed money is still a lot. Acuna could have done what a number of other early-career players have, which is to effectively sell part of his future contractual rights to get paid immediately (ie., sign over 10% of his career earnings for $20m); he did not. He and his agent thought it was better for them to take that money immediately, and there is a reason.

That he signed isn't naivete or a terrible agent. There has been a rush of players signing long-term extensions that feel below-market, and the obvious answer is that they expect current trends to continue or accelerate, and possibly suspect that there will be labour strife in the not-too-distant future. It is a hedge against the unknown where they lock in the bit where he never has to think about money in more than oblique terms ever again.
**** your asterisk.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays