ImageImageImageImageImage

The Troy Brown Thread

Moderators: montestewart, nate33, LyricalRico

User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 54,149
And1: 8,403
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#381 » by nate33 » Mon Mar 4, 2019 3:26 pm

Interesting article at NBCSports about Troy Brown and his lack of minutes:

"One thing with developing a player, you just don't give a player minutes. If you do that, you basically lose your team. These players have gotta earn it," Brooks said.

"I've coached young players and your young players have to earn it and they have to earn it every day in practice. Troy has earned respect from the players by practicing every day and not saying a word, just keeping his head to the ground and keep charging ahead."

Brooks' suggestion that he could lose the team if he played Brown too much early on warranted a follow-up. The comments shed light on why Brown hasn't been playing for much of this season, despite him showing flashes previously when given the chance to play.

It turns out, Brown hasn't been playing solely because he doesn't have a consistent shot, turns the ball over or is overmatched defensively. Much of it apparently relates to the principle of paying your dues.

Brooks now believes Brown has taken his lumps enough to get some playing time.

"It's 60 games in. He's earned it. Players see young players and how they work. Players know the difference when you're giving guys minutes just because they were an early draft pick. You play a guy that earned it. As a player, that's what you want. You want to earn opportunities. And Troy has earned some minutes," Brooks said.


I don't necessarily agree with Brooks' methods, but at least he has a consistent methodology. Ultimately, Brown has learned that he's never going to be given anything without earning it, and the other players get the message as well. That said, I had a hard time with Ron freaking Baker getting minutes over Brown during the middle of the season. That was indefensible.
User avatar
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 18,950
And1: 1,851
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
       

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#382 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 4, 2019 3:56 pm

With the exception of Porter Jr who is hurt, and Jerome Robinson who appears to not be playing much, everyone drafted ahead of Brown has been playing regular minutes. The whole 'earn it' crap is bull. You draft a kid that high, the expectations from everyone is for him to play. We're not talking about him replacing Ariza in the starting lineup, but find a way to carve a 12-15 minute role for him.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
Posts: 26,606
And1: 4,552
Joined: Jul 12, 2003
Location: Boardman gets paid!

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#383 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Mar 4, 2019 4:10 pm

I will say this, while I don't particularly love Brooks' stance, it's obvious from space that Ernie projects that same belief but isn't going to stick his neck out ever, if he doesn't have to. He traded Porter at the deadline but made sure he got Parker back. He could have traded Ariza at the deadline but he didn't. He could have very easily cleared some roster space and made it obvious that he was positioning for more PT for Brown but he didn't. Ernie absolutely buries his draft picks on the roster. It's what he does. It took injuries to Dwight and Ian and some particularly exceptional play just to get Thomas Bryant to 19 mpg. Brooks very clearly didn't have that same stance in OKC, though a lot of that had to do with Presti loading the roster up with lots of rookie scale players. Ernie loves to avoid any potential conflict if he can so he's going to build a team built surrounding seniority and NBA traditions. That he's doing that in an era when successful teams tend to be breaking longstanding NBA beliefs and traditions doesn't seem to matter to him one whit. He's one of the longest tenured executives for a reason, after all.
Bucket! Bucket!
User avatar
Illmatic12
General Manager
Posts: 9,442
And1: 7,766
Joined: Dec 20, 2013
 

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#384 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Mar 4, 2019 4:16 pm

Endless Loop wrote:There's a great article in today's Wall Street Journal about a $60 a year iPhone app called HomeCourt that uses some sort or other of artificial intelligence and computer vision to help players analyze and improve their shooting. It keeps a history about shot mechanics. The article talks about an 11 year old girl who uses it and now is ranked #3 in a national ranking of Class of 2025 (!!??) recruits. She tracks everything, even down to leg launch angles, etc.

With this sort of data available to seventh graders for $60 a year, is it really unreasonable to think that Brown can improve his jumper?

Surely an organization that's going to be paying one of its players $40 million a year is using this sort of analytics. Is there any reason we ever should see any NBA player with poor shot mechanics?

Steve Nash was one of the creators of that app.. I saw him hawking it a few years ago saying it would be the next big thing, didn't realize it had taken off now. Very cool!

Read on Twitter



Side note but Steve Nash has to have one of the most interesting post-NBA careers out there:


-He is a soccer analyst for B/R (apparently soccer was Nash's first love . I've heard him call some Champions League games, he is a bit of a Tottenham Spurs homer but knowledgeable enough)
-Co-owns an MLS soccer franchise
-First ballot entry to the Basketball HOF in 2018
-He's a consultant for the Golden St Warriors and has gotten to work intimately with possibly the greatest pro sports teams of all time (and though he never won as a player, he is on the list of GSW staff members who get championship rings)
-Has many successful investments, including that HomeCourt app
-Long track record of charitable works and was named as an honorary Canadian citizen under the Order of British Columbia

And it's not like he retired early. The man was a starting NBA point guard until age 40!
User avatar
Illmatic12
General Manager
Posts: 9,442
And1: 7,766
Joined: Dec 20, 2013
 

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#385 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Mar 4, 2019 4:46 pm

Rafael122 wrote:With the exception of Porter Jr who is hurt, and Jerome Robinson who appears to not be playing much, everyone drafted ahead of Brown has been playing regular minutes. The whole 'earn it' crap is bull. You draft a kid that high, the expectations from everyone is for him to play. We're not talking about him replacing Ariza in the starting lineup, but find a way to carve a 12-15 minute role for him.

Just to play devil's advocate here - on draft day wasn't most of this board saying Brown Jr was a project, a reach and that the Wizards already had a logjam at his position? And is the 15th pick really that high? It's the lowest lottery pick.

All the players taken ahead of Brown were drafted to young rebuilding teams where they had no competition for minutes. Troy came to a team that had a number of veteran guards/wings. I don't think that comparison is valid because he has a very unique situation.

I think this is one of those things that you just have to accept when it comes to old school coaches.
Most would agree that Dave Joerger is doing a great coaching job in Sacramento right? Well early in the season he wasn't giving consistent minutes to Marvin Bagley and that's someone who was a #2 overall pick:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kings-upset-with-dave-joergers-use-of-marvin-bagley-iii-could-make-coaching-change-per-report/

I would bet that the majority of NBA head coaches in this league , if they were coaching Washington's roster wouldn't have given Brown significant minutes to this point.
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 15,149
And1: 3,276
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#386 » by dckingsfan » Mon Mar 4, 2019 5:25 pm

So this is probably silly but... first I agree with Illmatic (that isn't the silly part :D).

It is that I think Brown should (also) take some of Randall's minutes. He seems to be able to handle the ball well against pressure without turning the ball over and seems to be able to guard quick NBA guards.
User avatar
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 18,950
And1: 1,851
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
       

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#387 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 4, 2019 6:28 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:With the exception of Porter Jr who is hurt, and Jerome Robinson who appears to not be playing much, everyone drafted ahead of Brown has been playing regular minutes. The whole 'earn it' crap is bull. You draft a kid that high, the expectations from everyone is for him to play. We're not talking about him replacing Ariza in the starting lineup, but find a way to carve a 12-15 minute role for him.

Just to play devil's advocate here - on draft day wasn't most of this board saying Brown Jr was a project, a reach and that the Wizards already had a logjam at his position? And is the 15th pick really that high? It's the lowest lottery pick.

All the players taken ahead of Brown were drafted to young rebuilding teams where they had no competition for minutes. Troy came to a team that had a number of veteran guards/wings. I don't think that comparison is valid because he has a very unique situation.

I think this is one of those things that you just have to accept when it comes to old school coaches.
Most would agree that Dave Joerger is doing a great coaching job in Sacramento right? Well early in the season he wasn't giving consistent minutes to Marvin Bagley and that's someone who was a #2 overall pick:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kings-upset-with-dave-joergers-use-of-marvin-bagley-iii-could-make-coaching-change-per-report/

I would bet that the majority of NBA head coaches in this league , if they were coaching Washington's roster wouldn't have given Brown significant minutes to this point.


Bagley was an ownership thing. They pretty much told the coach to play him and he's been a monster since he got consistent playing time. Brown needs developing, but you can't develop him if he rots on your bench. He should have gotten Dekker's minutes, Wesley Johnson, Ron Baker, etc.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,396
And1: 1,555
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#388 » by doclinkin » Mon Mar 4, 2019 9:49 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Endless Loop wrote:There's a great article in today's Wall Street Journal about a $60 a year iPhone app called HomeCourt that uses some sort or other of artificial intelligence and computer vision to help players analyze and improve their shooting. It keeps a history about shot mechanics. The article talks about an 11 year old girl who uses it and now is ranked #3 in a national ranking of Class of 2025 (!!??) recruits. She tracks everything, even down to leg launch angles, etc.

With this sort of data available to seventh graders for $60 a year, is it really unreasonable to think that Brown can improve his jumper?

Surely an organization that's going to be paying one of its players $40 million a year is using this sort of analytics. Is there any reason we ever should see any NBA player with poor shot mechanics?

Steve Nash was one of the creators of that app.. I saw him hawking it a few years ago saying it would be the next big thing, didn't realize it had taken off now. Very cool!

Read on Twitter



Side note but Steve Nash has to have one of the most interesting post-NBA careers out there:


-He is a soccer analyst for B/R (apparently soccer was Nash's first love . I've heard him call some Champions League games, he is a bit of a Tottenham Spurs homer but knowledgeable enough)
-Co-owns an MLS soccer franchise
-First ballot entry to the Basketball HOF in 2018
-He's a consultant for the Golden St Warriors and has gotten to work intimately with possibly the greatest pro sports teams of all time (and though he never won as a player, he is on the list of GSW staff members who get championship rings)
-Has many successful investments, including that HomeCourt app
-Long track record of charitable works and was named as an honorary Canadian citizen under the Order of British Columbia

And it's not like he retired early. The man was a starting NBA point guard until age 40!


And he has said he would like to both coach and be a GM some day. What I was saying in the next Coach thread: I'd love to be the team that gives him a try-out. I think he was one of the most interesting and intelligent figures in the game when he was playing. Thoughtful and willing to discourse on any topics, even politics, especially politics, and willing to take a viewpoint that does not hue to orthodoxy. That's the sort of mindset I'd like in both Coach and GM-- someone willing to take risks and deal with the consequences.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 54,149
And1: 8,403
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#389 » by nate33 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:39 pm

It's small sample size theater, but:

Read on Twitter
prime1time
Rookie
Posts: 1,041
And1: 607
Joined: Nov 02, 2016
         

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#390 » by prime1time » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:29 am

nate33 wrote:It's small sample size theater, but:

Read on Twitter

Brown Jr. has potential. His size, length and quickness lets us use him to guard other teams pig's. Then offensively he can use his size to score in the post. His ball handling, and attack moves need work but the thing I like is that he tries to do actual moves. If he works on his game, he might end up being a really solid player.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,131
And1: 5,282
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#391 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:23 pm

nate33 wrote:It's small sample size theater, but:

Read on Twitter

It's the Beal effect - even more powerful than the Wall effect! Beal passes out Snickers bars to everyone who gets on court with him. Actually, Beal does help by drawing double-teams.

Troy's a liability on defense, but that's to be expected for a 19 year old in the NBA. Glad that he's FINALLY getting consistent playing time. He's smart and has solid defensive tools, so the experience gives him a chance to develop into a solid defender.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 12,087
And1: 3,778
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#392 » by payitforward » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:40 am

Just saw this....

Illmatic12 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:With the exception of Porter Jr who is hurt, and Jerome Robinson who appears to not be playing much, everyone drafted ahead of Brown has been playing regular minutes. The whole 'earn it' crap is bull. You draft a kid that high, the expectations from everyone is for him to play. We're not talking about him replacing Ariza in the starting lineup, but find a way to carve a 12-15 minute role for him.

Just to play devil's advocate here - on draft day wasn't most of this board saying Brown Jr was a project, a reach and that the Wizards already had a logjam at his position?...

No, "most of the board" wasn't saying any of that. I was saying it, & Dat was saying it. "Most of the board" were crowing about what a great pick he was -- as they would have crowed no matter who we'd picked at that spot. Especially given that not one of them had called for us to draft Troy in the run-up to the draft -- not a single one.

Illmatic12 wrote:And is the 15th pick really that high? It's the lowest lottery pick.

Can you find me another #15 pick in the last 10 years who was on his team's roster, played as well as Troy has played, yet played this few minutes? Why no, no you can't.

Illmatic12 wrote:All the players taken ahead of Brown were drafted to young rebuilding teams where they had no competition for minutes. Troy came to a team that had a number of veteran guards/wings. I don't think that comparison is valid because he has a very unique situation.

Like Gilgeous-Alexander on the Clippers? & how about guys taken *after* Brown, taken lower & to much better teams than ours, who have played a ton of minutes?

As to our being a team with veterans, do you mean Austin Rivers who stunk up the joint from day one & with unceasing regularity until he was traded? Or Oubre?

Illmatic12 wrote:I think this is one of those things that you just have to accept when it comes to old school coaches.

Really? Do all "old school coaches" lose as many games as we have lost & don't adjust their rotations?

Illmatic12 wrote:Most would agree that Dave Joerger is doing a great coaching job in Sacramento right? Well early in the season he wasn't giving consistent minutes to Marvin Bagley and that's someone who was a #2 overall pick

What in h#ll does it matter what Dave Joerger was doing? If you see someone p#ss in their soup before sitting down to lunch, do you do the same thing?

Illmatic12 wrote:I would bet that the majority of NBA head coaches in this league , if they were coaching Washington's roster wouldn't have given Brown significant minutes to this point.

We have a good roster? Is that what you mean? That must be why we're 30-43, right?

I mean... it's not like we're a terrible team like the Sixers who played Landry Shamet 21 minutes a game after taking him #26 in the draft. & we're certainly a much better team than the Pels who have played an undrafted rookie almost twice as many minutes as we've played Brown -- right? Or that worthless team the Houston Rockets & their undrafted rookie who has played more minutes than Troy -- right?

Many teams that are better than the Washington Wizards -- some of them *much* better -- have played rookies taken after Troy Brown Jr. -- some of them *much* later -- more than the resident idiots have played Troy Brown -- some of them *a whole lot more.*

In short, sorry, BS.
Pay no attention to the remarks above. Or, per Ruzious: "PIF, ...the best part of your posts is your tagline."
NatP4
General Manager
Posts: 8,449
And1: 2,195
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
         

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#393 » by NatP4 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:48 am

nate33 wrote:Interesting article at NBCSports about Troy Brown and his lack of minutes:

"One thing with developing a player, you just don't give a player minutes. If you do that, you basically lose your team. These players have gotta earn it," Brooks said.

"I've coached young players and your young players have to earn it and they have to earn it every day in practice. Troy has earned respect from the players by practicing every day and not saying a word, just keeping his head to the ground and keep charging ahead."

Brooks' suggestion that he could lose the team if he played Brown too much early on warranted a follow-up. The comments shed light on why Brown hasn't been playing for much of this season, despite him showing flashes previously when given the chance to play.

It turns out, Brown hasn't been playing solely because he doesn't have a consistent shot, turns the ball over or is overmatched defensively. Much of it apparently relates to the principle of paying your dues.

Brooks now believes Brown has taken his lumps enough to get some playing time.

"It's 60 games in. He's earned it. Players see young players and how they work. Players know the difference when you're giving guys minutes just because they were an early draft pick. You play a guy that earned it. As a player, that's what you want. You want to earn opportunities. And Troy has earned some minutes," Brooks said.


I don't necessarily agree with Brooks' methods, but at least he has a consistent methodology. Ultimately, Brown has learned that he's never going to be given anything without earning it, and the other players get the message as well. That said, I had a hard time with Ron freaking Baker getting minutes over Brown during the middle of the season. That was indefensible.


this is so ridiculously stupid
User avatar
Illmatic12
General Manager
Posts: 9,442
And1: 7,766
Joined: Dec 20, 2013
 

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#394 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:35 pm

payitforward wrote:Just saw this....

Illmatic12 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:With the exception of Porter Jr who is hurt, and Jerome Robinson who appears to not be playing much, everyone drafted ahead of Brown has been playing regular minutes. The whole 'earn it' crap is bull. You draft a kid that high, the expectations from everyone is for him to play. We're not talking about him replacing Ariza in the starting lineup, but find a way to carve a 12-15 minute role for him.

Just to play devil's advocate here - on draft day wasn't most of this board saying Brown Jr was a project, a reach and that the Wizards already had a logjam at his position?...

No, "most of the board" wasn't saying any of that. I was saying it, & Dat was saying it. "Most of the board" were crowing about what a great pick he was -- as they would have crowed no matter who we'd picked at that spot. Especially given that not one of them had called for us to draft Troy in the run-up to the draft -- not a single one.

Illmatic12 wrote:And is the 15th pick really that high? It's the lowest lottery pick.

Can you find me another #15 pick in the last 10 years who was on his team's roster, played as well as Troy has played, yet played this few minutes? Why no, no you can't.

Illmatic12 wrote:All the players taken ahead of Brown were drafted to young rebuilding teams where they had no competition for minutes. Troy came to a team that had a number of veteran guards/wings. I don't think that comparison is valid because he has a very unique situation.

Like Gilgeous-Alexander on the Clippers? & how about guys taken *after* Brown, taken lower & to much better teams than ours, who have played a ton of minutes?

As to our being a team with veterans, do you mean Austin Rivers who stunk up the joint from day one & with unceasing regularity until he was traded? Or Oubre?

Illmatic12 wrote:I think this is one of those things that you just have to accept when it comes to old school coaches.

Really? Do all "old school coaches" lose as many games as we have lost & don't adjust their rotations?

Illmatic12 wrote:Most would agree that Dave Joerger is doing a great coaching job in Sacramento right? Well early in the season he wasn't giving consistent minutes to Marvin Bagley and that's someone who was a #2 overall pick

What in h#ll does it matter what Dave Joerger was doing? If you see someone p#ss in their soup before sitting down to lunch, do you do the same thing?

Illmatic12 wrote:I would bet that the majority of NBA head coaches in this league , if they were coaching Washington's roster wouldn't have given Brown significant minutes to this point.

We have a good roster? Is that what you mean? That must be why we're 30-43, right?

I mean... it's not like we're a terrible team like the Sixers who played Landry Shamet 21 minutes a game after taking him #26 in the draft. & we're certainly a much better team than the Pels who have played an undrafted rookie almost twice as many minutes as we've played Brown -- right? Or that worthless team the Houston Rockets & their undrafted rookie who has played more minutes than Troy -- right?

Many teams that are better than the Washington Wizards -- some of them *much* better -- have played rookies taken after Troy Brown Jr. -- some of them *much* later -- more than the resident idiots have played Troy Brown -- some of them *a whole lot more.*

In short, sorry, BS.


Troy Brown will end up playing nearly twice as many minutes as Otto Porter did as a rookie . Otto turned out okay wouldn’t you say?

Troy is 19yo, he’s fine. He will play 10-15 years in this league at a high level. There are many problems with Brooks but this ? It is a non-issue to me.
User avatar
DCZards
Head Coach
Posts: 7,434
And1: 1,942
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Location: The Streets of DC

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#395 » by DCZards » Tue Apr 2, 2019 3:17 pm

[url]
Read on Twitter
[/url]
prime1time
Rookie
Posts: 1,041
And1: 607
Joined: Nov 02, 2016
         

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#396 » by prime1time » Tue Apr 2, 2019 4:29 pm

It's tough to understate the impact that Bradley has had on our young players. He's embraced being a leader and Troy and Thomas have clearly followed in BRad's footsteps. It's easy to look at both Troy and Thomas and conclude that they'd both have successful seasons regardless of where they land. This would be a major misread. Rookies need to come into the right environment. The vibe around this team from where it was at the beginning of the season to where it is now is night and day. I actually enjoy watching the Wizards now.

The criticism of Scott Brooks handling of Troy Brown Jr., is unwarranted. We have no idea if Troy was ready to play in November. And failure for a rookie could have a negative impact on his long term growth. What we do know is that when Scott put him in the lineup Troy Brown Jr. has performed. I look forward to seeing what an off-season of working on his game can do. Coming off the two best games of his career should bring him a lot of confidence going into the off-season.

Personally I think Troy should focus on his shooting, his ball handling, finishing at the rim and the pick and role.I can see him as a low double digit scorer maybe like 11/12, 4 and 6 next year (his rebounding is actually a very underrated aspect of his game). With his moments here and there. But I'm interested to know what other people are thinking now. What's his ceiling?

During the draft people were throwing out Andre Igoudala comparisons. But Troy's 3-point form looks good, and if you go back to interviews during the draft process he's always been confident in his shot.

I remember being fascinated watching this interview after we drafted him. Here's an 18 YO at the time talking about shot selection.



I love his backdoor cut at 57 seconds, I also love his behind the back pull-up at 2:15 and obviously I loved the steal on Jokic at 2:46 and another backdoor cut at 2:57. Brown Jr. as a rookie does so many small things that it's hard for me not to get excited about his potential. He does make mistakes defensively and he needs to clean that up.

https://youtu.be/z9IXTOGKguQ?t=10

Another play where he goes behind the back into a jumper. It's good that he makes it but even more importantly look at how smooth he looks.

The NBA is obsessed with athleticism and being an above the rim player, but if I had to choose between Troy Brown Jr. and a player like Josh Jackson I'm taking Troy Brown Jr.

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/01/16/examining-troy-brown-important-wing-skills/
Here's a good read up on Troy Brown Jr. from before the draft.
Questions about Brown’s scoring ability are legitimate. He’s going to depend on tough shots to score with the ball in his hands, and he’s far from a knockdown shooter off the ball. However, he has moments where his first step looks fairly explosive, and once he’s in the lane he’s a threat both as a scorer and passer. Despite doubts about his explosiveness, Brown has succeeded on a per-possession basis when he attacks the bucket this season; it’s the jumper that is pulling his efficiency down. Nailing down a consistent three-point shot is going to be the most important part of his development. Brown is not likely to ever be a go-to guy in the NBA, or even a second or third option. That considered, if he can get to shooting 37-38% from three, he will bring real offensive value as a versatile role player.

Troy Brown fits the mold of a classically underrated wing player in many ways. He’s just average in terms of explosiveness and he struggles to beat NBA athletes off the dribble, so it’s easy to overlook him in favor of the flashy dunkers at his spot. Still learning as a playmaker and inconsistent as a jump shooter, the skill portions of his game are far from developed. But I’ll bet on Brown’s IQ, rebounding ability, positional size, athletic flashes, natural touch, and shooting potential. There are few secondary handlers in the NBA with his defensive versatility and even fewer who can also space the floor. If past drafts can teach us anything, it should be not to overrate athleticism when it comes to wing prospects. Every team could use a guy like Troy Brown to create shots for others, lock down multiple spots on defense, crash the glass, and fill any number of roles on both ends of the court.
prime1time
Rookie
Posts: 1,041
And1: 607
Joined: Nov 02, 2016
         

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#397 » by prime1time » Tue Apr 2, 2019 4:35 pm

Also, for what it's worth, the game I went to a couple weeks ago, Troy was engage the entire time. Every timeout he was coming to the bench and asking questions. Every good play he would get up and clap. The explosiveness and above the rim finishing will likely never happen, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Troy Brown Jr. develop into a good NBA player. If his 3-point shot becomes consistent so that he can space the floor off-ball and force teams to close-out hard when he's at the three point line I can envision him being a legit 3rd option on a championship team. And that's not even talking about his passing. Very excited to see Troy develop over the next couple of years.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,131
And1: 5,282
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#398 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 2, 2019 5:34 pm

prime1time wrote:Also, for what it's worth, the game I went to a couple weeks ago, Troy was engage the entire time. Every timeout he was coming to the bench and asking questions. Every good play he would get up and clap. The explosiveness and above the rim finishing will likely never happen, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Troy Brown Jr. develop into a good NBA player. If his 3-point shot becomes consistent so that he can space the floor off-ball and force teams to close-out hard when he's at the three point line I can envision him being a legit 3rd option on a championship team. And that's not even talking about his passing. Very excited to see Troy develop over the next couple of years.

Yeah, he's got a very high BBIQ on the offensive end - passes well and doesn't turn the ball over. He's especially good in transition - makes the right decisions and finishes well. Not the typical EG pick - I think Ernie did well on this pick - not a homerun but a solid double in the gap.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 12,087
And1: 3,778
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#399 » by payitforward » Tue Apr 2, 2019 5:37 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Just saw this....

Illmatic12 wrote:Just to play devil's advocate here - on draft day wasn't most of this board saying Brown Jr was a project, a reach and that the Wizards already had a logjam at his position?...

No, "most of the board" wasn't saying any of that. I was saying it, & Dat was saying it. "Most of the board" were crowing about what a great pick he was -- as they would have crowed no matter who we'd picked at that spot. Especially given that not one of them had called for us to draft Troy in the run-up to the draft -- not a single one.

Illmatic12 wrote:And is the 15th pick really that high? It's the lowest lottery pick.

Can you find me another #15 pick in the last 10 years who was on his team's roster, played as well as Troy has played, yet played this few minutes? Why no, no you can't.

Illmatic12 wrote:All the players taken ahead of Brown were drafted to young rebuilding teams where they had no competition for minutes. Troy came to a team that had a number of veteran guards/wings. I don't think that comparison is valid because he has a very unique situation.

Like Gilgeous-Alexander on the Clippers? & how about guys taken *after* Brown, taken lower & to much better teams than ours, who have played a ton of minutes?

As to our being a team with veterans, do you mean Austin Rivers who stunk up the joint from day one & with unceasing regularity until he was traded? Or Oubre?

Illmatic12 wrote:I think this is one of those things that you just have to accept when it comes to old school coaches.

Really? Do all "old school coaches" lose as many games as we have lost & don't adjust their rotations?

Illmatic12 wrote:Most would agree that Dave Joerger is doing a great coaching job in Sacramento right? Well early in the season he wasn't giving consistent minutes to Marvin Bagley and that's someone who was a #2 overall pick

What in h#ll does it matter what Dave Joerger was doing? If you see someone p#ss in their soup before sitting down to lunch, do you do the same thing?

Illmatic12 wrote:I would bet that the majority of NBA head coaches in this league , if they were coaching Washington's roster wouldn't have given Brown significant minutes to this point.

We have a good roster? Is that what you mean? That must be why we're 30-43, right?

I mean... it's not like we're a terrible team like the Sixers who played Landry Shamet 21 minutes a game after taking him #26 in the draft. & we're certainly a much better team than the Pels who have played an undrafted rookie almost twice as many minutes as we've played Brown -- right? Or that worthless team the Houston Rockets & their undrafted rookie who has played more minutes than Troy -- right?

Many teams that are better than the Washington Wizards -- some of them *much* better -- have played rookies taken after Troy Brown Jr. -- some of them *much* later -- more than the resident idiots have played Troy Brown -- some of them *a whole lot more.*

In short, sorry, BS.

Troy Brown will end up playing nearly twice as many minutes as Otto Porter did as a rookie . Otto turned out okay wouldn’t you say?

Troy is 19yo, he’s fine. He will play 10-15 years in this league at a high level. There are many problems with Brooks but this ? It is a non-issue to me.

How long have you been a Wizards fan? Why didn't Otto play as a rookie? He was injured. Totally irrelevant.

That said -- I agree that there's reason to have solid hopes for Troy Brown Jr.
Pay no attention to the remarks above. Or, per Ruzious: "PIF, ...the best part of your posts is your tagline."
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 12,087
And1: 3,778
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#400 » by payitforward » Tue Apr 2, 2019 6:09 pm

Ruzious wrote:
prime1time wrote:Also, for what it's worth, the game I went to a couple weeks ago, Troy was engage the entire time. Every timeout he was coming to the bench and asking questions. Every good play he would get up and clap. The explosiveness and above the rim finishing will likely never happen, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Troy Brown Jr. develop into a good NBA player. If his 3-point shot becomes consistent so that he can space the floor off-ball and force teams to close-out hard when he's at the three point line I can envision him being a legit 3rd option on a championship team. And that's not even talking about his passing. Very excited to see Troy develop over the next couple of years.

Yeah, he's got a very high BBIQ on the offensive end - passes well and doesn't turn the ball over. He's especially good in transition - makes the right decisions and finishes well. Not the typical EG pick - I think Ernie did well on this pick - not a homerun but a solid double in the gap.

Dat & I were both quite critical of the pick of Troy Brown, & (without speaking for him) I imagine we still feel the same way.

There's a difference between a pick (an asset you expend for a benefit) on the one hand & a player on the other hand. I was pretty sure we could have used the #15 pick to get 2 lower R1 picks or at least 1 of those & a high R2 pick. In particular I discussed trading the #15 to the Hawks for #19 & #30 or for #19 & #34.

We might still have gotten Troy Brown but also gotten either Omari Spellman or Mitchell Robinson. Or we might have gotten Huerter & Spellman. Or if it had been #30 & 34 (tho I don't think I would have made exactly that trade -- maybe needed '19 R2 pick as well) we might have gotten Spellman & Robinson.

Of course, I don't know which if any of those trades would actually have been available, & at the time I didn't know exactly what players would be there. What I can say for sure is that last year like this year we were badly in need of an infusion of young talent. For that reason, this year like last year, I think we'd be wise to trade down.

Still, at least we got a guy who looks to be quite promising (as do Huerter, Shamet, Spellman, Robinson & several other players. It was a deep draft. Too bad we didn't come away with 2 young players....
Pay no attention to the remarks above. Or, per Ruzious: "PIF, ...the best part of your posts is your tagline."

Return to Washington Wizards