ImageImageImage

Justin Patton got waived. He's available!

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,137

Justin Patton got waived. He's available! 

Post#1 » by Calinks » Wed Apr 3, 2019 6:17 pm

When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Re: Justin Patton got waved. He's available! 

Post#2 » by minimus » Wed Apr 3, 2019 6:33 pm

Calinks wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/justin-patton-to-be-waived-by-76ers/

The window is open for the return XD

Would love him back to MIN if he is healthy.
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Re: Justin Patton got waived. He's available! 

Post#3 » by SmokeyPaw » Wed Apr 3, 2019 7:13 pm

Some of the sixers fans who watched his g league games were imoressed with his passing, much like we were a year ago. Bit perplexed by sixers move - is monroe eligible for playoffs? I'd like to see him back at any rate.
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#4 » by SmokeyPaw » Wed Apr 3, 2019 9:31 pm

Ok monroe is playoff eligible so it makes sense now.
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#5 » by LibertyPrime » Wed Apr 3, 2019 10:13 pm

Sure, why not? Taj is hurt and Dieng is not playing super well. We might as well bring him back into the fold and see if he can show anything in these last few games. Always liked what I saw of Patton's game.
"The last domino falls here!"
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#6 » by Jedzz » Wed Apr 3, 2019 11:13 pm

LibertyPrime wrote:Sure, why not? Taj is hurt and Dieng is not playing super well. We might as well bring him back into the fold and see if he can show anything in these last few games. Always liked what I saw of Patton's game.

Dieng has played especially well in his limited minutes this spring. Still. Bring Patton back and give him a turn. If nothing else it will feel like we lost less in that trade. Who knows. Maybe he's finally ready to play. Can he get here by tonight? 48 minutes straight.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,137

Post#7 » by Calinks » Wed Apr 3, 2019 11:53 pm

Are we able to resign him at all this season since we traded him?
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#8 » by TheDominator273 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 1:48 am

Calinks wrote:Are we able to resign him at all this season since we traded him?
As long as he's cleared waivers I believe he's fair game for us to sign.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#9 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 4, 2019 3:27 am

I'd take him back!
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#10 » by Grits n Gravy » Thu Apr 4, 2019 6:03 am

Bring him back god dam it. Give him a foot transplant and we're golden.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 787

Post#11 » by vagelis » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:32 pm

I believe that he has the tools to become a very good player.
He just needs luck.
I would give him a contract , he worths the risk(if it is any risk to pay a very low contract that he will probably ask)
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#12 » by Jedzz » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:38 pm

The team needs depth at PF/C. He seems to fit the bill if he's willing to come back. Frankly, with probably no money at all available to sign someone like Taj, the Wolves PF position might really need the help. Also, if they happen to trade Dieng like they have been trying to do, they will definitely need someone at C.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#13 » by Killboard » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:06 pm

Jedzz wrote:The team needs depth at PF/C. He seems to fit the bill if he's willing to come back. Frankly, with probably no money at all available to sign someone like Taj, the Wolves PF position might really need the help. Also, if they happen to trade Dieng like they have been trying to do, they will definitely need someone at C.

He isnt a PF in todays league and there were a lot of impact signings for the min at C. Is one of the reason why teams dont want Dieng even in a exchange for a similar overpaid wing. I agree we need to have a new PF for next season. KBD is a good project but we need reliable talent if we want the playoffs. We can use the MLE or pick a big like Clarke, PJ Washington o Grant Williams if there is not top guards of our like.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#14 » by KGdaBom » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:27 pm

Killboard wrote:
Jedzz wrote:The team needs depth at PF/C. He seems to fit the bill if he's willing to come back. Frankly, with probably no money at all available to sign someone like Taj, the Wolves PF position might really need the help. Also, if they happen to trade Dieng like they have been trying to do, they will definitely need someone at C.

He isnt a PF in todays league and there were a lot of impact signings for the min at C. Is one of the reason why teams dont want Dieng even in a exchange for a similar overpaid wing. I agree we need to have a new PF for next season. KBD is a good project but we need reliable talent if we want the playoffs. We can use the MLE or pick a big like Clarke, PJ Washington o Grant Williams if there is not top guards of our like.

I still have some hope for Dario, but Brandon Clarke is out there and 50% chance we can have him at 10-11. I think Washington and Williams go later. You didn't mention Doumbouya and I think he could be there for us as well.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#15 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:48 pm

vagelis wrote:I believe that he has the tools to become a very good player.
He just needs luck.
I would give him a contract , he worths the risk(if it is any risk to pay a very low contract that he will probably ask)

That's what I say. He would be very low risk, and would be super cheap. I think he has an ideal how to get and stay healthy. What harm could it do? We need to fill out the roster, and I expect several changes this off season.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#16 » by Jedzz » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:19 pm

Killboard wrote:\
He isnt a PF in todays league

Why is that? Todays league is "positionless" and who's better for that than a guy who grew up a guard and then grew into a Centers frame? What does someone like Saric do that Justin could not? Besides the obvious of playing through pain.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#17 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:21 pm

Jedzz wrote:

Why is that? Todays league is "positionless" and who's better for that than a guy who grew up a guard and then grew into a Centers frame? What does someone like Saric do that Justin could not?

For some reason, a majority of NBA fans today seem to think anyone 6'10" or taller isn't meant to be a PF in today's game.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#18 » by Killboard » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:30 pm

Jedzz wrote:

Why is that? Todays league is "positionless" and who's better for that than a guy who grew up a guard and then grew into a Centers frame? What does someone like Saric do that Justin could not? Besides the obvious of playing through pain.

First, its only my opinion. Im just giving my reasons why I dont think is smart to play him at the 4.

Positionless yes. But that isnt because you can play anyone at any position and get positive results. Is because you want guys who are good playing multiple positions, be switchy on defense (good wingpsans) and can play on or off the ball.

The assumption "he isnt a PF in today league" is a generalization based on archetypes. Anyone can play at any position, there is no rules for that. But trends exists. PF above 7 feet tall are wierd, there are just a few examples of positive players. But most of them are good outside shooters and can play defense around screens or switch on guards with no problems. That's where the league is going.

And regarding to what Saric can do... he is a good volume and % 3pt shooter. He is an above average passer for the position and is a good team rebounder. Patton hasnt proven to do anything of that.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#19 » by minimus » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:17 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Why is that? Todays league is "positionless" and who's better for that than a guy who grew up a guard and then grew into a Centers frame? What does someone like Saric do that Justin could not?

For some reason, a majority of NBA fans today seem to think anyone 6'10" or taller isn't meant to be a PF in today's game.

I believe that it depends on talent of bigmen. If a bigman is a talented player he can fit as second bigman in lineup. If both are talented then I don't see any issue at all playing them together at least for some short periods of time.

We can see BOS playing Baynes and Horford, UTA going big with Favors and Gobert, DET with Griffin and Drummond. SAS played LMA with Gasol.

I am a big fan of Patton talent. From what I see he doesn't lack talent, he just need to stay healthy. If healthy he can be paired with KAT easily. If he turns into a starter we will need to adjust our team offense and defense to explore his size, mobility. Just like every good team does. Not every team has Harden or Greek Freak or trio KD, Curry, Thompson.

This guy is still worth a chance.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#20 » by Jedzz » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:30 pm

Killboard wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

First, its only my opinion. Im just giving my reasons why I dont think is smart to play him at the 4.

Positionless yes. But that isnt because you can play anyone at any position and get positive results. Is because you want guys who are good playing multiple positions, be switchy on defense (good wingpsans) and can play on or off the ball.

The assumption "he isnt a PF in today league" is a generalization based on archetypes. Anyone can play at any position, there is no rules for that. But trends exists. PF above 7 feet tall are wierd, there are just a few examples of positive players. But most of them are good outside shooters and can play defense around screens or switch on guards with no problems. That's where the league is going.

And regarding to what Saric can do... he is a good volume and % 3pt shooter. He is an above average passer for the position and is a good team rebounder. Patton hasnt proven to do anything of that.

I wish we saw more volume from Saric shooting 3s. He attempted something like 3.5 a game since January. That's like 5 or 6 points a game. How exactly is Patton supposed to prove anything in this league not really playing yet? From what I've heard, the only thing he didn't prove in the d league was rebounding. What he needs is a chance to play. Imagine if he came back and played well enough to hold a roster spot and Jimmy also left the 6ers in FA. We could look back on the trade with smiles.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves