ImageImageImageImage

What should Orlando do with Vuc?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

What to do with Vuc after the season?

Sign him at all cost
19%
Sign him only for the right price
46%
Let him walk it is time to let Me Bamba grow
20%
Try to sign and trade him
10%
Sign Vuc and trade Mo Bamba
4%

Total votes: 125

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,124

Re: What should Orlando do with Vuc? 

Post#41 » by pepe1991 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 1:18 pm

2017 lottery
Fultz - 1# pick traded
Ball 2# pick - involved in trade talks
Tatum - 3rd pick, involved in trade talks
Jackson- 4th pick, if needed will be part trade
Frank Ntilikina- 8th pick, involved in trade talks
Dennis Smith, 9th pick -traded

2016 lottery
2# pick Ingram inovlved in trade talks
3rd pick Brown inovlved in trade talks
4th pick Bender without contract
5th pick Dunn traded
8th pick Chriss traded twice
Polti, Maker and Sabonis (9,10,11 picks ) all traded

Teams trade their picks to upgrade roster every year. There is nothing shocking about it.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,829

Post#42 » by Last Guardian » Sat Apr 6, 2019 1:53 pm

Fultz, Isaac, AG and Bamba with Clifford coaching is very interesting, but I would like to see our playoff performance (if we make it, no jinx here) before formulating an opinion.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,943

Post#43 » by p0peye » Sat Apr 6, 2019 1:59 pm

If we were not invested into developing Bamba, but all-in on playoffs from the start, Birch would easily block Bamba's growth. Based on current performance, Bamba is 3rd string C going into next season but will be getting 20mpg as high pick with impressive ceiling.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,408

Post#44 » by Rainwater » Sat Apr 6, 2019 3:50 pm

I love how people are judging Mo off his first year. Give him some time.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,663

Post#45 » by MagicMatic » Sat Apr 6, 2019 4:00 pm

Resign him for a reasonable price, let him play into next season, and then trade him.

You have to retain him as an asset if his asking price isn’t absurd. What is the market on Centers anyway? It can’t be that crazy considering the position isn’t even that valuable in comparison.

I disagree that the timetable for Bamba dictates what we do with Vuc. Orlando would be wasting time and money, floating around .500, missing out on lottery talent, and running the same slow/ soft ass offense through Vuc. (Orlando is last in getting to the line and one of the slowest in Pace of Play).

Bamba and Birch are a more than serviceable front court. More importantly, we need back court that can create offense and get to the free throw line. Time to join the rest of the league with a modern offense, because we aren’t going to be missing that much defensively without Vuc.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#46 » by MagicMatic » Sat Apr 6, 2019 4:31 pm

Knightro wrote:
OrlandO wrote:Always so over the top. There is a scenario where we re-sign Vuc for the present and develop Bamba for the future.

100% this.

Bamba is 20 years old and the Magic have him under control for the next four years after this one.

If they retain Vuc, then Bamba plays as a backup for 15-20 minutes a night for the time being. That’s about all he’s really capable of anyway at this time, so what’s the problem?

Once Vucevic’s new contract runs out, Bamba - who will be all of 24 years old if Vucevic plays out a 4 year deal - can take the reigns and be the center for the next 5-7 years.

Beyond that, just because Vucevic signs a 4 or even 5 year deal (I don’t expect this, but it’s possible) doesn’t mean he is guaranteed to be in Orlando that entire time.

If two years from now Bamba is looking like Gobert with a 3PT shot and the Magic can’t afford to keep him off the court, then you just trade Vucevic away and get the Bamba era started earlier.

Yeah let’s concede to paying a guy millions of dollars, for multiple years, to a non-contending team, because we want to “wait for Bamba”. We will be in the middle of the pack doing nothing for another 4 years instead of solving this roster.

Even if he didn’t play it out entirely, people are acting like Bamba is completely incapable. Rookies are rarely ever good, but they don’t absolutely require years of coming off a bench to assimilate perfectly. The point is that the rest of this roster isn't talented enough to justify our top lottery pick to be playing spot minutes for the least valuable position on the court. Birch already has that covered.

Move one of them, or you have devaluing assets either with Vuc’s age/price or time on Bamba’s rookie deal. Orlando doesn’t have the luxury to sit on their hands while also fielding the worst back court in the league.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#47 » by MagicFan101 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 5:19 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Knightro wrote:
OrlandO wrote:Always so over the top. There is a scenario where we re-sign Vuc for the present and develop Bamba for the future.

100% this.

Bamba is 20 years old and the Magic have him under control for the next four years after this one.

If they retain Vuc, then Bamba plays as a backup for 15-20 minutes a night for the time being. That’s about all he’s really capable of anyway at this time, so what’s the problem?

Once Vucevic’s new contract runs out, Bamba - who will be all of 24 years old if Vucevic plays out a 4 year deal - can take the reigns and be the center for the next 5-7 years.

Beyond that, just because Vucevic signs a 4 or even 5 year deal (I don’t expect this, but it’s possible) doesn’t mean he is guaranteed to be in Orlando that entire time.

If two years from now Bamba is looking like Gobert with a 3PT shot and the Magic can’t afford to keep him off the court, then you just trade Vucevic away and get the Bamba era started earlier.

Yeah let’s concede to paying a guy millions of dollars, for multiple years, to a non-contending team, because we want to “wait for Bamba”. We will be in the middle of the pack doing nothing for another 4 years instead of solving this roster.

Even if he didn’t play it out entirely, people are acting like Bamba is completely incapable. Rookies are rarely ever good, but they don’t absolutely require years of coming off a bench to assimilate perfectly. The point is that the rest of this roster isn't talented enough to justify our top lottery pick to be playing spot minutes for the least valuable position on the court. Birch already has that covered.

Move one of them, or you have devaluing assets either with Vuc’s age/price or time on Bamba’s rookie deal. Orlando doesn’t have the luxury to sit on their hands while also fielding the worst back court in the league.

A 28/20 mpg distribution between Vuc and Bamba with Birch (if we can keep him) playing mop up duty at PF/C for his usual 10-12 minutes is the right method.

Bamba has work to do physically. He will be 22 years old entering the 3rd year of a new Vuc deal. As a key rotation player and spot starter for two years he will have plenty of time to develop. If entering that 3rd year we know Bamba is our big man of the future then Vuc can be moved. It doesn’t have to be for fair talent value. Clearly some $$ and minutes has value as well.

But this is why I am dead set on a 3 year deal for Vuc. Absolutely nothing more (unless 4th is a team option).
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#48 » by Skin » Sat Apr 6, 2019 5:23 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Skin wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Haven't been able to or havn't wanted to? Someone has to make you an offer you want. Do you have a list in front of you of every trade conversation we have had over the Vuc era?

Yup. As a matter of fact, I do.

"Hi, this is Rob Hennigan. I've got an amazing trade offer for you... Nikola Vucevic for" *click dialtone*

"Hi, this is Alex Martins. I've got an amazing trade offer for you... Nikola Vucevic for" *click dialtone*

"Hi, this is Jeff Weltman. I've got an amazing trade offer for you... Nikola Vucevic for" *click dialtone*

lol, helpful. Thanks.

So this is what you think of a player you want to give $120M to?

We cannot lock ourselves into Vuc on a major deal. That just cannot happen. If another team wants to max him out or anything near it then best wishes to ya big man.

We've seen him being on the trade block... been linked to on the WT news before.

I don't want to give him that. That's what I think he'll be able to get. At least we both agree that's too much and would let him walk at that price.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#49 » by Skin » Sat Apr 6, 2019 5:42 pm

Vuc will not take a 2 or 3 year deal. I think we're at least have to move past that. Kings, Mavs even Lakers could be chasing him.... but Kings for sure.

Read on Twitter
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#50 » by drsd » Sat Apr 6, 2019 7:05 pm

Catledge wrote:I think $131m is too much. Giving him $28m in his first year is one thing, but I think the Magic would have to insist on bigger per-year decreases. I think you would have to bring down the number by $2m each year so that you are down around $20m or lower in the last year.

That the cap is not rising and then actually decent helps this narrative. There is a lot less chance a team will offer 25M a year on 4-years with the cap news.

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#51 » by tiderulz » Sat Apr 6, 2019 7:49 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Resign him for a reasonable price, let him play into next season, and then trade him.

You have to retain him as an asset if his asking price isn’t absurd. What is the market on Centers anyway? It can’t be that crazy considering the position isn’t even that valuable in comparison.

I disagree that the timetable for Bamba dictates what we do with Vuc. Orlando would be wasting time and money, floating around .500, missing out on lottery talent, and running the same slow/ soft ass offense through Vuc. (Orlando is last in getting to the line and one of the slowest in Pace of Play).

Bamba and Birch are a more than serviceable front court. More importantly, we need back court that can create offense and get to the free throw line. Time to join the rest of the league with a modern offense, because we aren’t going to be missing that much defensively without Vuc.

his price will start at $25+mil/yr over at least 4 years. is that reasonable for you?
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 717

Post#52 » by CZ Eddie » Sat Apr 6, 2019 7:49 pm

We need to have Bamba be the starter during his last year on the rookie deal, so we can see if we want to keep him.
So let's sign Vooch through that year. Then we can decide on one or the other the following summer.
Keep your politics out of my sports
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#53 » by MagicMatic » Sat Apr 6, 2019 8:42 pm

tiderulz wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Resign him for a reasonable price, let him play into next season, and then trade him.

his price will start at $25+mil/yr over at least 4 years. is that reasonable for you?

Reasonable equals either being able to move him without taking bad money back, or not being burdened by his contract should his production decline.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#54 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat Apr 6, 2019 8:43 pm

So, the Resigns to not resigns is 43 to 13. Still some haterz gonna hate.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#55 » by tiderulz » Sat Apr 6, 2019 8:46 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Reasonable equals either being able to move him without taking bad money back, or not being burdened by his contract should his production decline.

thats not an answer. I gave you a starting figure. Is that amount acceptable to you?
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#56 » by OrlandO » Sat Apr 6, 2019 8:55 pm

Rainwater wrote:I love how people are judging Mo off his first year. Give him some time.

Who's not giving him time? Only 2 people voted trade Bamba.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#57 » by MagicMatic » Sat Apr 6, 2019 9:00 pm

tiderulz wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
tiderulz wrote:his price will start at $25+mil/yr over at least 4 years. is that reasonable for you?

thats not an answer. I gave you a starting figure. Is that amount acceptable to you?

Its an answer, just not the answer you want.

Capela makes 15/5
Jokic makes 25/4

So, Vuc making more than Jokic without the supporting cast is less ideal. Jokic is also 4 years younger.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#58 » by zaymon » Sat Apr 6, 2019 9:01 pm

I would be against resigning Vuc if we didnt have ways to get better but we sure have. Imagine us 2 years from now with Vuc, money from Mozgov, developed longbois and seasoned playoff veterans. I think we can be attractive for some stars.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#59 » by tiderulz » Sat Apr 6, 2019 9:18 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Capela makes 15/5
Jokic makes 25/4

So, Vuc making more than Jokic without the supporting cast is less ideal. Jokic is also 4 years younger.

sounds like a no
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#60 » by MagicMatic » Sat Apr 6, 2019 9:54 pm

tiderulz wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
tiderulz wrote:thats not an answer. I gave you a starting figure. Is that amount acceptable to you?

Capela makes 15/5
Jokic makes 25/4

sounds like a no

Correct. I’d be leaning toward no. Again, if the plan was to sign him to a “friendly” deal knowing we were moving him for comparable money - then sure.

What do you think?

Return to Orlando Magic