ImageImageImageImageImage

Assuming Durant leaves...build next years team.

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Re: Assuming Durant leaves...build next years team. 

Post#161 » by Phase 3 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 8:38 pm

On his radio show today, Greg Papa threw out 2 names to keep an eye on in free agency.

Javale McGee and Rajon Rondo(as Livingston replacement).

Not sure if he’s hearing that from someone or what. Just passing it along. Fwiw, I would love to bring back Javale and Rondo would be a nice weapon off the bench. Could really use an another playmaking point guard on the roster.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,235

Post#162 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 8:47 pm

Rondo's on-off numbers are horrible this season.

I don't think McGee's numbers are great either.

I think they will try to go with Jones again and if McGee is willing to play on minimum contract, he'd be a backup and wouldn't get as many minutes as he's getting with the Lakers.
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#163 » by Phase 3 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 12:45 am

Jones is not better than McGee. If they can get McGee back, they should do it.

As to Rondo, It depends on what happens with KD and Boogie. If both those guys leave in free agency, I would think the Warriors would spend the MLE on a starting small forward. Maybe someone like Rudy Gay.

Curry/Klay/Gay/Draymond/Mcgee...with Iguodala and vet minimums/young players off the bench. Not great but might be the best they can do if they lose KD and Cousins.

If KD decides to unexpectedly stay, then Rondo on the taxpayer mle makes a lot of sense imo. Curry/Klay/KD/Draymond/McGee with Rondo, Iguodala, and Looney off the bench. That team would be nasty. Too bad KD is likely to leave.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#164 » by likashing » Fri Apr 5, 2019 4:02 am

Doubt McGee will come back unless we give them the starting job. He said he went to the Lakers because of a bigger role. I don’t think he is interested in the backup C again.

He is better than Jones but I am not sure if Kerr and Myers are ready to give up on him yet.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
chef_martin
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#165 » by chef_martin » Fri Apr 5, 2019 4:03 am

Looking at the free agents available to replace Durant is pretty slim pickings. There's Demarre Carroll, Bojan Bogdanovic, Terrance Ross, Al-Farouq Aminu, Rodney Hood, Wilson Chandler, Trevor Ariza, Jeff Green and Rudy Gay. Aminu/Carroll/Chandler/Green are pretty much straight 4's in the NBA right now. Bojan is probably out of our price range even with the full Non-Tax MLE. Rodney Hood has notable anxiety issues in big games, which makes him a wildcard. That pretty much leaves us with Ariza, Gay or Ross. However, I don't think that either of those three players will be willing to take the Tax-Payer MLE. So the question becomes, if Durant leaves can we clear enough money to use the Non-Tax MLE, sign Klay and Kevon and stay under the hard cap.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#166 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Apr 5, 2019 5:27 pm

I'd take Dwight Powell on the MLE. He has a player option, but I think he'll turn it down and test the waters since he's coming off a good year.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#167 » by xdrta+ » Fri Apr 5, 2019 5:39 pm

chef_martin wrote:Looking at the free agents available to replace Durant is pretty slim pickings. There's Demarre Carroll, Bojan Bogdanovic, Terrance Ross, Al-Farouq Aminu, Rodney Hood, Wilson Chandler, Trevor Ariza, Jeff Green and Rudy Gay. Aminu/Carroll/Chandler/Green are pretty much straight 4's in the NBA right now. Bojan is probably out of our price range even with the full Non-Tax MLE. Rodney Hood has notable anxiety issues in big games, which makes him a wildcard. That pretty much leaves us with Ariza, Gay or Ross. However, I don't think that either of those three players will be willing to take the Tax-Payer MLE. So the question becomes, if Durant leaves can we clear enough money to use the Non-Tax MLE, sign Klay and Kevon and stay under the hard cap.

It looks very tight and probably not possible to me. The most recent projections put the cap at $109M, the tax level at $132M, which would put the Apron about $138M. Asuming Livingston is let go ($2M guaranteed), there are 5 guaranteed salaries, total = $82M. Add $32M for Klay = $114M. Let's keep McKinnie, $1.5M, and Looney, $2.5M? = $118M.

That leaves questions on Cook, (QO $1.9M) and Bell (QO $1.8M). Assume they're renounced, we have 8 players, team salary = $118. Add $1.5M, cap hold for 1st round pick, about $4M cap hold for incomplete roster charge, combined mid-level and BAE cap hold = $12M, which would put the team salary about $135M for cap purposes during the off-season. You still need to sign 6 players to get to 14. It's much more realistic to use the taxpayer mid-level and have the flexibility to go over the Apron.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#168 » by Mylie10 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 2:33 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:I'd take Dwight Powell on the MLE. He has a player option, but I think he'll turn it down and test the waters since he's coming off a good year.

Love Dwight Powell and I've always wanted him on a low cost deal. I'm not sure I'd give him the MLE. We may need that for our next starting small forward.

We also have to give Looney a boost, so don't forget that.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
TinoDubs
Junior
And1: 45

Post#169 » by TinoDubs » Sat Apr 6, 2019 5:37 pm

+ Hope Klay wont make any of the all-NBA/all-defensive teams this year so we won't have to give him the superMAX.
+ try to sign Cousins
+ trade Draymond? It will be hard, b/c you have to take back a 15-20m players from other team, who can fill up the def hole like #23. This team needs Draymond.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#170 » by Mylie10 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 6:02 pm

TinoDubs wrote:+ Hope Klay wont make any of the all-NBA/all-defensive teams this year so we won't have to give him the superMAX.
+ try to sign Cousins
+ trade Draymond? It will be hard, b/c you have to take back a 15-20m players from other team, who can fill up the def hole like #23. This team needs Draymond.

Why wouldn't you want Klay to get the larger max payment?

I seriously doubt Cousins comes back.

And they aren't trading Draymond, and would be dumb to, unless the wheels completely come off during this post season.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#171 » by xdrta+ » Sat Apr 6, 2019 6:20 pm

TinoDubs wrote:+ Hope Klay wont make any of the all-NBA/all-defensive teams this year so we won't have to give him the superMAX.
+ try to sign Cousins

Making all-NBA Defensive team won't qualify him for supermax. And if he does make all-NBA they don't have to offer him supermax. They can still offer much more than any other team without making him a designated player.

As above, virtually no chance Cousins comes back, and I doubt trading Draymond is even discussed in the front office.
chef_martin
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#172 » by chef_martin » Sat Apr 6, 2019 11:50 pm

xdrta+ wrote:It looks very tight and probably not possible to me. The most recent projections put the cap at $109M, the tax level at $132M, which would put the Apron about $138M. Asuming Livingston is let go ($2M guaranteed), there are 5 guaranteed salaries, total = $82M. Add $32M for Klay = $114M. Let's keep McKinnie, $1.5M, and Looney, $2.5M? = $118M.

That leaves questions on Cook, (QO $1.9M) and Bell (QO $1.8M). Assume they're renounced, we have 8 players, team salary = $118. Add $1.5M, cap hold for 1st round pick, about $4M cap hold for incomplete roster charge, combined mid-level and BAE cap hold = $12M, which would put the team salary about $135M for cap purposes during the off-season. You still need to sign 6 players to get to 14. It's much more realistic to use the taxpayer mid-level and have the flexibility to go over the Apron.

Well, you can also opt not to use the BAE and stretch Livingston which creates about $4.8 million. The point is that to replace Durant with a starting-level small forward, the Warriors have to use the Non-Tax MLE. If Durant leaves, I don't think the Warriors can take a year to rebuild on the fly. We don't know how many more years Steph is gonna be MVP caliber and Draymond All-Star caliber. Gotta strike while the iron is still hot.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#173 » by xdrta+ » Sun Apr 7, 2019 12:22 am

chef_martin wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:It looks very tight and probably not possible to me. The most recent projections put the cap at $109M, the tax level at $132M, which would put the Apron about $138M. Asuming Livingston is let go ($2M guaranteed), there are 5 guaranteed salaries, total = $82M. Add $32M for Klay = $114M. Let's keep McKinnie, $1.5M, and Looney, $2.5M? = $118M.

Well, you can also opt not to use the BAE and stretch Livingston which creates about $4.8 million. The point is that to replace Durant with a starting-level small forward, the Warriors have to use the Non-Tax MLE. If Durant leaves, I don't think the Warriors can take a year to rebuild on the fly. We don't know how many more years Steph is gonna be MVP caliber and Draymond All-Star caliber. Gotta strike while the iron is still hot.

It might be possible, but once you use the Non-Taxpayer MLE, you're hard-capped at the Apron, which could make it very difficult to fill out the roster. You can't go over $138M for any reason.
TinoDubs
Junior
And1: 45

Post#174 » by TinoDubs » Sun Apr 7, 2019 12:26 am

Mylie10 wrote:
+ try to sign Cousins

Why wouldn't you want Klay to get the larger max payment?

That would save us 5-6M a year in cap each year.
squarepimpin
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#175 » by squarepimpin » Sun Apr 7, 2019 5:38 am

KD leaving will be a problem to our championship goals - because we were strength in numbers - we only lost the 2nd title cause Curry, Iggy, bogut, and bullsh*t call on Draymond. That being said - NO ONE IS SAVING MAX CAP SPACE for Draymond therefore we should not pay him max either despite the fact he is worth it to us... .IF KD leaves, try to get a S&T out of it, then make the decision to let Draymond go and rebuild.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#176 » by likashing » Sun Apr 7, 2019 6:17 am

I’ll let them win this one first and see what KD does. 3-peat. 4 rings in 5 seasons.

The ppl who think they know don’t know ****.

They couldn’t predict KD joining the Warriors.

Then they say the Warriors can’t afford maxing out both Klay and KD and the upcoming payroll and repeater tax, and they are wrong again.

Now they have stopped talking about the payroll, and move on to KD is done with the Warriors and will leave even the Warriors can pay and keep all the stars around him.

The naysayers just keep making up new reasons this dynasty will be over. Their story lines keep changing and they don’t know ****. Let’s see if they are wrong again or not.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#177 » by Mylie10 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:51 pm

I am guaranteeing that Mo Speights is on the team again next year for vet minimum.

Also want to add Aminu if KD takes off.
Khoee wrote “
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#178 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:14 pm

think we'll actually get Boogie back on a discount now, this will be our team

Steph
Klay
Dre
Dray
Boogie

Looney
Bell
McKinnie
Evans
Jones (wish we could cut ties, but we're stuck with him)

I'd add:
D. Powell (MLE)
Javale
McConnell
Rabb

+ our 1st round draft pick = 15
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#179 » by GswStorm3 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:01 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:think we'll actually get Boogie back on a discount now, this will be our team

Steph
Klay
Dre
Dray
Boogie

Looney
Bell
McKinnie
Evans

I'd add:
D. Powell (MLE)
Javale
McConnell
Rabb

You need more than that at SF.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#180 » by Samurai » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:44 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:think we'll actually get Boogie back on a discount now, this will be our team

Steph
Klay
Dre
Dray
Boogie

Looney
Bell
McKinnie
Evans

I'd add:
D. Powell (MLE)
Javale
McConnell
Rabb

If no one will make an offer for Cousins due to his torn quad, I wonder if he would sign a vet minimum to come back and rehabilitate again?

Return to Golden State Warriors