ImageImageImage

Welcome Jonah Bolden

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Re: Welcome Jonah Bolden 

Post#361 » by rzzzzz » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:44 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:After last night, do you think Bolden becomes a regular in our rotation?

He was the difference in last nights win. Tempting to think this was the break out performance that bought him a legitimate shot at regular playing time. We can only wait to see how Brett responds.
phillychuck
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#362 » by phillychuck » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:02 pm

He should be getting more run than he does. He's the best back-up vs. mobile 5's. Boban is fine in very short runs for an offensive jolt.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Post#363 » by kuclas » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:13 pm

Bolden is getting better. He won us the game last night. Difference maker.

Just don’t think brett brown trusts him. Cause of defensive lapses we’ve seen throughout the season and his foul rate. But he shot the ball well from outside. Defended well and was active. He should be the option behind embiid vs mobile backups centers. I don’t think he strong enough to defend against true 5s yet. He can’t defend Marc gasol or brook lopez. They are simply too big for him. And sixers had to help with some double teams last night.

But that’s cherry picking. He’s shown enough to play over boban when the tempo dictates. I think he’s a better option vs the Atlanta Hawks tomorrow night.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#364 » by rzzzzz » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:38 pm

kuclas wrote:Bolden is getting better. He won us the game last night. Difference maker.

Just don’t think brett brown trusts him. Cause of defensive lapses we’ve seen throughout the season and his foul rate. But he shot the ball well from outside. Defended well and was active. He should be the option behind embiid vs mobile backups centers. I don’t think he strong enough to defend against true 5s yet. He can’t defend Marc gasol or brook lopez. They are simply too big for him. And sixers had to help with some double teams last night.

But that’s cherry picking. He’s shown enough to play over boban when the tempo dictates. I think he’s a better option vs the Atlanta Hawks tomorrow night.

He's been shooting the 3 so well that I wonder about giving him some minutes at the 4, creating space for the big guy and maybe sneaking in for some weak side help.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#365 » by Foshan » Mon Apr 1, 2019 2:44 am

rzzzzz wrote:
kuclas wrote:Bolden is getting better. He won us the game last night. Difference maker.

This is where I would love to see him.

I still think sliding Scott into the starting line up, to run JJ off the bench with Bolden st the 4 will slice a lot of both lines defensive issues.

He's been shooting the 3 so well that I wonder about giving him some minutes at the 4, creating space for the big guy and maybe sneaking in for some weak side help.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#366 » by hookshot199 » Mon Apr 1, 2019 12:55 pm

Foshan wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:

This is where I would love to see him.

I still think sliding Scott into the starting line up, to run JJ off the bench with Bolden st the 4 will slice a lot of both lines defensive issues.

Am interested to hear your comment? I happen to agree with rzzzzz that there should be certain situations where Bolden matches up than others on the roster because of his athleticism. I also believe, as someone posted, that Amir might be a better matchup against traditional centers. This is my problem with Brown. It's all or nothing. The night before we played the Timberwolves, Anthony Toliver went three for four from on 3's against Golden State. He's not a great 3-point shooter, but he's someone you have to guard. If Embiid had played and Bobi and/or Amir were his backup for the evening, why wouldn't you consider putting Boden on Toliver?

On "load management": Before Embiid went down the first time, he played 39, 42, 33, 32, 37 and 34 minutes in the six preceding games. So then we get Brown's speech about load management before Embiid came back. So, first game back against Indiana: 28 minutes, a blowout for us. Then: 34, 36, 36, 41 and 35 minutes before pulling him with 6:57 left in the Orlando game at 31 minutes. Had we been competitive, add 3, 4 or 5 minutes and we're in the 34-35 range. What part of "load management" didn't Brown get?

I don't know what appropriate "load" is for a guy with an injury history like Embiid, but I always assumed that 30 was a reasonable target.

Rich Hoffman asked the right question: "Hard to say how much of his heavy early schedule contributed to this, but you would think moving forward there needs to be more rest sprinkled throughout the 82 games."
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#367 » by agiaco » Mon Apr 1, 2019 2:48 pm

Boban is a likable guy, but he's more of a liability on D than he is a paint protector. Correct me with stats if I am wrong though. Just looks too slow and out of position on D most of the time. Bolden provides more offense now with his shooting. At worst, I hope Bolden gets at least the same playing time as Bobi going forward.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,746

Post#368 » by Negrodamus » Sun Apr 7, 2019 7:20 pm

Read on Twitter
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#369 » by GeorgeMarcus » Mon Apr 8, 2019 6:59 am

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Damn, alright Jonah. Weird they compared him to Butler though :lol: Not like he's known as an outside threat.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,705

Post#370 » by the_process » Mon Apr 8, 2019 12:05 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Damn, alright Jonah. Weird they compared him to Butler though :lol: Not like he's known as an outside threat.

One guy who should be shooting threes isn't. And another guy who shouldn't be shooting threes is.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#371 » by Chris76 » Mon Apr 8, 2019 1:25 pm

agiaco wrote:Boban is a likable guy, but he's more of a liability on D than he is a paint protector. Correct me with stats if I am wrong though. Just looks too slow and out of position on D most of the time. Bolden provides more offense now with his shooting. At worst, I hope Bolden gets at least the same playing time as Bobi going forward.

I liked seeing Bolden and Bobi or Embiid playing together. His defense and rebounding helps a lot.

Bolden, Simmons, and Embiid could be a very good big lineup. It makes other teams put a smaller defender on Simmons, which he abuses. However, this takes Redick out, which seems wrong with his great shooting. Tough decisions for BB.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#372 » by Negrodamus » Mon Apr 8, 2019 2:09 pm

the_process wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

One guy who should be shooting threes isn't. And another guy who shouldn't be shooting threes is.

We actually need both to be shooting threes at a solid clip if we're expecting them to be on the court with Simmons.
TJ McGODnell
Sophomore
And1: 162

Post#373 » by TJ McGODnell » Mon Apr 8, 2019 2:18 pm

Bolden is shooting %44 over the last 3 months (2.7 shots per game).

%45 over the last 1 month (3.2 shots per game).

%46 over the last fortnight (4 shots per game).
#1 fan of the 6'2 white GOAT.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,592

Post#374 » by sixerswillrule » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:17 pm

93% of his shots are at the rim or from three. Can't get much higher than that.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,705

Post#375 » by the_process » Mon Apr 8, 2019 4:42 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
the_process wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

We actually need both to be shooting threes at a solid clip if we're expecting them to be on the court with Simmons.

Agreed. I was more going for why that comparison was made by that Twitter user.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#376 » by GeorgeMarcus » Mon Apr 8, 2019 9:17 pm

the_process wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Over his career Butler has been solid from 3, even if it's on low volume. I don't think he needs to shoot less. Embiid on the other hand...
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#377 » by Negrodamus » Mon Apr 8, 2019 11:54 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
the_process wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

Over his career Butler has been solid from 3, even if it's on low volume. I don't think he needs to shoot less. Embiid on the other hand...

Embiid is shooting threes because people are letting him shoot threes. That's a result of playing him with Simmons.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#378 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Apr 9, 2019 5:59 am

So is Bolden a better power-forward or centre? Regardless, he's really done well this season and If he continues down this path then he's going to be a very good player moving forward.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#379 » by Foshan » Tue Apr 9, 2019 8:15 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:So is Bolden a better power-forward or centre? Regardless, he's really done well this season and If he continues down this path then he's going to be a very good player moving forward.

I really like him at PF, weak side shot blocker type that stretches the floor. Not sure the numbers bear that out though.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,714

Post#380 » by phillynative » Tue Apr 9, 2019 10:15 am

Foshan wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:So is Bolden a better power-forward or centre? Regardless, he's really done well this season and If he continues down this path then he's going to be a very good player moving forward.

I really like him at PF, weak side shot blocker type that stretches the floor. Not sure the numbers bear that out though.

This I always thought he was a 4. He can defend 4/3 better than centers IMO. And now that hes knocking down his shot there would be no reason not to play him at the 4 other than a necessity. He has solid length and quickness but he has a small frame and gets into foul trouble easily maybe playing him a the 4 more will help negate that

Return to Philadelphia 76ers