ImageImage

OT: Music Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#721 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:21 pm

ackypoo wrote:smashing pumpkins siamese dream is a 10/10 album. the guitar tone on it is absolutely incredible and the songs are all fantastic.

its too bad billy corgan is such an absolute douchebag and hasnt put out any relevant music in the past 20+ years. but...if they did an anniversary tour for this album, id probably have to pay to see it. its easily in my top 10 of all time.

I got back into some old Pumpkins and specifically this album due to laughing at the timing of music and release of this tweet like 20 times on Opening Day for baseball.

Other than being maybe too young for the really early stuff like Gish, I obviously love prime Pumpkins.

Thoughts on Corgan:

1. I liked Adore and even Machina to an extent.
2. ZWAN was actually awesome.
3. Everything since the "reunion" has been utter trash (to be fair, I've only listened like twice).

Read on Twitter
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,588

Post#722 » by tski1972 » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:22 pm

this one is getting multiple plays in my house.....

http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,741

Post#723 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:26 am

Not really the demo she's going for but gotta admit. Billie Eilish's album slaps.
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#724 » by BuckHole » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:23 pm

Not an interesting post, but I feel as lost in today’s music as I imagine WW2 era people felt about 70s glam, 70s punk, and 80s hair metal. I’ve looked away from the contemporary scene for less than a decade, and I can’t enjoy it, and I don’t want it. I’m a old guy who enjoys music from an era gone by; mostly 50s jazz and 70s disco/funk pop. I don’t dig esoteric lyrics (sans Steely Dan) or excessive misogyny or violent themes. I’m happy you enjoy it, but it’s not for me. Lamentations from a nearly 50 year old.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,348

Post#725 » by ackypoo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:47 pm

BuckHole wrote:Not an interesting post, but I feel as lost in today’s music as I imagine WW2 era people felt about 70s glam, 70s punk, and 80s hair metal. I’ve looked away from the contemporary scene for less than a decade, and I can’t enjoy it, and I don’t want it. I’m a old guy who enjoys music from an era gone by; mostly 50s jazz and 70s disco/funk pop. I don’t dig esoteric lyrics (sans Steely Dan) or excessive misogyny or violent themes. I’m happy you enjoy it, but it’s not for me. Lamentations from a nearly 50 year old.

Music is my favorite thing. There is new music you would like. It is hard to find. I want to try to help, or give it a shot.

chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,561

Post#726 » by chonestown » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:26 pm

ackypoo wrote:Music is my favorite thing. There is new music you would like. It is hard to find. I want to try to help, or give it a shot.

Those are all great. You ever check out Tommy Guerrero? He's done stuff with Ray Barbee and the M2. He put out a terrific record on MoWax that is one of my favorite comfort food records regardless of time, genre, etc.

Khruangbin should be more than a closely-held secret among the big-eared, but alas.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,348

Post#727 » by ackypoo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:32 pm

chonestown wrote:
ackypoo wrote:Music is my favorite thing. There is new music you would like. It is hard to find. I want to try to help, or give it a shot.

Those are all great. You ever check out Tommy Guerrero? He's done stuff with Ray Barbee and the M2. He put out a terrific record on MoWax that is one of my favorite comfort food records regardless of time, genre, etc.

Khruangbin should be more than a closely-held secret among the big-eared, but alas.

i will definitely check it out. i am not a jazz person typically, but that chaz bundick and the mattson 2 randomly came on some list i was listening to and got me into the mattson 2. whats the name of the tommy guerrero album? a little bit of something or soul food taqueria?

similarly to how duane denison of the jesus lizard gets me to listen to the denison kimball trio which is more avant garde jazz, maybe? i dont know.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,561

Post#728 » by chonestown » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:13 pm

ackypoo wrote:
chonestown wrote:

i will definitely check it out. i am not a jazz person typically, but that chaz bundick and the mattson 2 randomly came on some list i was listening to and got me into the mattson 2. whats the name of the tommy guerrero album? a little bit of something or soul food taqueria?

similarly to how duane denison of the jesus lizard gets me to listen to the denison kimball trio which is more avant garde jazz, maybe? i dont know.

Tommy Guerrero is more of Khruangbin, all vibe and it will register either immediately with you or it won't. "Little Bit of Something" is the record, though he is consistent. He lets the seams show, so it has it has this unfussy straightforwardness. Pretty interesting dude, was skateboarding royalty as a member of Bones Brigade and music has been a great second act for him. Mattson 2 could play circles around him, but they are on a simpatico wavelength.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,431

Post#729 » by emunney » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:30 pm

Can't say I've listened to an instrumental prog rock LP before, but a friend gave me this to listen to during work the other day and it kinda slaps

Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,588

Post#730 » by tski1972 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:34 pm

emunney wrote:Can't say I've listened to an instrumental prog rock LP before, but a friend gave me this to listen to during work the other day and it kinda slaps

Instrumental, yet has a "Parental Advisory" sticker. :dontknow:
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#731 » by stellation » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:22 am

Listening to Depeche Mode's Violator, god damn that album is all killer no filler.
#FreeChuckDiesel
jmart762
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#732 » by jmart762 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:05 pm

Any thoughts on summer fest? I've never been but might make the journey to go see The Lonely Island.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#733 » by crkone » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:09 pm

jmart762 wrote:Any thoughts on summer fest? I've never been but might make the journey to go see The Lonely Island.

They've got a good mix. They're giving away weekday tickets seemingly everywhere so I'll hit it up during the week sometime.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
jmart762
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#734 » by jmart762 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:14 pm

crkone wrote:
jmart762 wrote:Any thoughts on summer fest? I've never been but might make the journey to go see The Lonely Island.

They've got a good mix. They're giving away weekday tickets seemingly everywhere so I'll hit it up during the week sometime.
I've only had people try to steer me away, but I think the lineup is promising.

Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,169

Post#735 » by Iheartfootball » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:15 pm

Has anyone listened to the two new Broken Social Scene EP's? They aren't always in my regular rotation but since I've been waiting a while for new stuff from some other bands to come out (Vampire Weekend, Tame Impala) I thought I'd give them a shot. Nothing earth shattering but some easy casual listening. Give it a shot if you haven't.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#736 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:57 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:Has anyone listened to the two new Broken Social Scene EP's? They aren't always in my regular rotation but since I've been waiting a while for new stuff from some other bands to come out (Vampire Weekend, Tame Impala) I thought I'd give them a shot. Nothing earth shattering but some easy casual listening. Give it a shot if you haven't.

I was only a casual fan of theirs from ~10-15 years ago and mostly because I like Metric and Stars. Had kinda lost touch unless something from You Forget It In People would randomly come up on Spotify. But the new EP is good which directed me to Hug Of Thunder, which also is good.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,587

Post#737 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:14 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:Has anyone listened to the two new Broken Social Scene EP's? They aren't always in my regular rotation but since I've been waiting a while for new stuff from some other bands to come out (Vampire Weekend, Tame Impala) I thought I'd give them a shot. Nothing earth shattering but some easy casual listening. Give it a shot if you haven't.

I have not yet. I used to be a big fan of theirs (YFIIP is an all-timer for me), but when they hibernated for about a decade I kind of lost touch with them and never picked them back up. I should check them out.

I'm currently loving Cape Francis.

stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#738 » by stellation » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:46 am

I'd have few problems with someone throwing the keys to the world to Chuck D and saying "****'s getting crazy, want to take her for a spin?"
#FreeChuckDiesel
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#739 » by Badgerlander » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:41 pm

Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
vegaspacker
Analyst
And1: 963

Post#740 » by vegaspacker » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:11 pm

This is more for the Aussies, my cousin has been in music for many years has a label in the midwest. He engineered with Arrested Development, the Bodeans among others back in the day. Done a bunch of Indie things and what have you, spotify/itunes stuff, etc.

I know a few of his Queensland peeps. A band called The Silencio has been together for a while, and the base player jammed with my band the week before one of my 'old' band's gigs here in Vegas.

The initial genre of their music was described to me as Acoustic Death Metal. I found a few vids on the webs.

They are a bit more progressive now, but I appreciate the chunes. This was released this March.

The base player's sister who I also know did make a mark in the Netherlands club scene back in 2014. This is one of her big hits, and I am just curious if the down-unders ever heard any of this.

Really great people, that's what I got.
I needs shades for this future thing we owning..... 8-) 8-) 8-)

Return to Milwaukee Bucks