ImageImageImage

Fanbase Rookie Approval Rating: Collin Sexton

Moderator: ijspeelman

Do you approve or disapprove of the Collin Sexton pick?

Approve
54%
Disapprove
29%
Undecided
18%

Total votes: 28

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Fanbase Rookie Approval Rating: Collin Sexton 

Post#1 » by EvanZ » Sun Dec 9, 2018 5:32 pm

Hey so I'm embarking on a litte project to compile fanbase approval ratings for the rookies your team drafted (or traded for on Draft night). Very simple poll like a Presidential approval. Use whatever subjective or objective criteria you feel is necessary to decide.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Fanbase Rookie Approval Rating: Collin Sexton 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Sun Dec 9, 2018 5:40 pm

You won't get many real cavs fans votes here since most have bailed during the aftermath of another James deparature.
Sexton is progressing ahead of schedule, and only a Cavs hater would say otherwise at this juncture.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#3 » by EvanZ » Sun Dec 9, 2018 6:17 pm

Stillwater wrote:You won't get many real cavs fans votes here since most have bailed during the aftermath of another James deparature.
Sexton is progressing ahead of schedule, and only a Cavs hater would say otherwise at this juncture.

Why would "real" Cavs fans ever bail? I was a "real" Warriors fan for 30 years in good times and bad (mostly bad). It's the bandwagoners that come and go depending on success.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#4 » by Stillwater » Sun Dec 9, 2018 9:42 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Stillwater wrote:You won't get many real cavs fans votes here since most have bailed during the aftermath of another James deparature.

Why would "real" Cavs fans ever bail? I was a "real" Warriors fan for 30 years in good times and bad (mostly bad). It's the bandwagoners that come and go depending on success.

Band wagoners were the majority of posters on these forums imo in last few years. There is a CLE site for die-hards to pump their chests together with little rational debate and there are no real discussions at all right now on here besides a few of us.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#5 » by Stillwater » Sun Dec 9, 2018 9:43 pm

Who disapproved and made no comment... like I said Cavs haters will kill this poll.
cavs4872
Senior
And1: 242

Post#6 » by cavs4872 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:02 pm

Leaning towards approve, but can't give it 100%, so undecided.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#7 » by JonFromVA » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:23 pm

I approve. Collin has a lot of stuff to work on, but he's already shown he belongs in the league. What's not to like about Collin at #8?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:25 am

EvanZ wrote:

This is inappropriate Stillwater and you know better. A lot of Cavs fans primarily use RealCavsFan.com

As far as Sexton, he was a great pick. The only other guy available in that range was even a consideration is Bridges.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:41 am

^yep some drop off in Cavs fans on here is to be expected I guess during a losing season...is all I meant.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#10 » by JonFromVA » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:36 pm

Stillwater wrote:^yep some drop off in Cavs fans on here is to be expected I guess during a losing season...is all I meant.

RCF gets a massive drop off as well. A lot of fans will simply tune out a tank, and that's not exclusive to RealGM.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#11 » by Stillwater » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:03 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:^yep some drop off in Cavs fans on here is to be expected I guess during a losing season...is all I meant.

RCF gets a massive drop off as well. A lot of fans will simply tune out a tank, and that's not exclusive to RealGM.

Makes sense I guess.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#12 » by JonFromVA » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:14 pm

Also while Collin is doing pretty well as a rookie, he hasn't seemed to capture the attention of the fan base like Irving or James did once upon a time. I think a lot of fans wrote him off because they were hoping for ... somebody else in the draft. Not that SGA, Wendell Carter or Michael Porter Jr would be drawing hordes down to the Q... Even if Trae Young fell to us, fans were pretty divisive with him, and would be going back & forth non-stop between his terrible shooting .vs. his promising play-making.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#13 » by Stillwater » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:21 pm

Most fans I speak to outside of online forums know damn well the draft although a great way to acquire future assets is not something they get too excited about, because unless you are drafting a upperclassman who can come in right away and produce ( which is usually not the case for teams in the lottery) There is always a delay in the type of return the org gets and so drafting a player with Sextons work ethic etc is far more hopeful than say a great shooter with a bad motor.
I think if Lebron was staying and had said as much, without the successful moving of the pick they would have drafted Mikal to provide immediate help. Drafting Sexton was the smartest move they could have made esp considering Lebron left.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#14 » by JonFromVA » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:59 am

Stillwater wrote:Most fans I speak to outside of online forums know damn well the draft although a great way to acquire future assets is not something they get too excited about, because unless you are drafting a upperclassman who can come in right away and produce ( which is usually not the case for teams in the lottery) There is always a delay in the type of return the org gets and so drafting a player with Sextons work ethic etc is far more hopeful than say a great shooter with a bad motor.
I think if Lebron was staying and had said as much, without the successful moving of the pick they would have drafted Mikal to provide immediate help. Drafting Sexton was the smartest move they could have made esp considering Lebron left.

You may be right, but I would have hoped they still drafted Sexton. The Cavs never have anything left in the tank when LeBron leaves, because they never pay anything forward. You've got to take the hit on young talent, coach 'em up, find ways they can help, and then you get your payoff later.

The Spurs "wasted" a season of Tim Duncan and David Robinson the year they drafted Parker as they lost in the second round; but Pops stuck with him and they won a championship the following season. Ginobili was a 25 year old rookie that season still learning the NBA, but Pops actually increased his minutes during the playoffs.

We desperately need a real GM, a real coach, a real scouting dept, and a commitment to player development.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 1, 2019 5:18 pm

An excerpt:

Collin Sexton, if we’re honest, belongs on NBA’s all-rookie first team

Three​ months​ ago Cavaliers​ coach Larry​ Drew probably​ would not​ have​ voted​ for Collin Sexton.

Same for​ his​ teammates.​​

Sexton’s a lock to make one of the two teams. But, if we’re all being honest here, he should be chosen in the top five. Why? He convinced his toughest critics.

“One hundred percent, I respect how he’s responded,” Kevin Love said.

Sexton’s accomplishments as a rookie, from a historical context, should make him a shoo-in for first team.

Sexton has his warts. He’s played every game for a bad team, as in, the third-worst in the NBA. He’s a point guard and he really struggles to move the ball, averaging just 2.8 assists, and his defensive rating (117.0) is among the worst in the league. Then again, he plays for the worst defensive team in the league overall. It’s no surprise that a shortish, wiry, barely 20-year-old has had some rough nights in the pick-and-roll.

“He’s had a great second half,” Love said. “It’s all about how you finish, too. He’s had some statistics for rookies that nobody, that few guys have done. Like I said, you trend like that in your rookie year and you can’t name enough guys at the top, I think for sure.
The Athletic
WestbrookLove
Sophomore
And1: 131

Post#16 » by WestbrookLove » Thu Apr 4, 2019 4:37 am

I like Collin and thought the knee-jerk criticism he received from many fans early on was shallow. Unlike, say, a certain Andrew Wiggins, this guy has a motor and cares. He's clearly willing to learn and get better.

That being said, I'm still not sure what his NBA ceiling is. I want to see him more with Love next season. Want to see how he continues to develop.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#17 » by gflem » Sat Apr 6, 2019 1:17 pm

WestbrookLove wrote:I like Collin and thought the knee-jerk criticism he received from many fans early on was shallow. Unlike, say, a certain Andrew Wiggins, this guy has a motor and cares. He's clearly willing to learn and get better.

That being said, I'm still not sure what his NBA ceiling is. I want to see him more with Love next season. Want to see how he continues to develop.

I agree with you on his ceiling. I thought for the first 2/3 of the season he would be nothing more than a poor man's Jeff Teague, but I didnt think it would be fair to a 20 year old to say something like that. But he seems to have figured out a few things. His shooting has been far better than the experts predicted, so in all I think his rookie season has been promising for us Cavs fans.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#18 » by Stillwater » Sat Apr 6, 2019 3:23 pm

Cavs need a 19 year old LOB catching Machine that can run with Sexton...his dime rate would have been blown up just like Youngs was with Collins in ATL. Young is overrated and it's so bad now I even want to believe I've missed something.
Sexton was and remains the better prospect once he develops as he has already shown the work ethic and results etc
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#19 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 9, 2019 7:34 pm

^Snatch up Jaxson Hayes as your lob threat and let this develop into the next great rivalry in the East.

Stillwater
RealGM

Post#20 » by Stillwater » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:49 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:^Snatch up Jaxson Hayes as your lob threat and let this develop into the next great rivalry in the East.

[url]
Read on Twitter
[/url]

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers