Kevin Durant Not Expected By 'Most In NBA' To Re-Sign Regardless Of Playoff Result

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Kevin Durant Not Expected By 'Most In NBA' To Re-Sign Regardless Of Playoff Result 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:33 pm

Tim Kawakami of The Athletic reports "most people in the NBA don't expect (Kevin) Durant to re-sign with the Warriors no matter what happens in the playoffs."

Durant has been strongly linked with the New York Knicks for months.

Kawakami suggests Durant's teammates with the Warriors are essentially attempting to overlook that issue to remain focused on trying to win the title this season.

"It’s the tacit bargain that I believe the Warriors’ headliners all made — hang together to give their shot for a three-peat and then if Durant leaves, he leaves with no apologies necessary. But there’s inherent tension in that, too, of course," writes Kawakami.

Kawakami also argues that Durant has been willing to accept that the Warriors' offense runs best through Stephen Curry and Draymond Green, but that he's their failsafe. Kawakami unofficially terms it as the 'Warriors' Grand Compromise'.

Via Tim Kawakami/The Athletic

cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Re: Kevin Durant Not Expected By 'Most In NBA' To Re-Sign Regardless Of Playoff Result 

Post#2 » by cheese318 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:43 pm

Wow I am befuddled. I thought this was KD’s team the whole time. The best player in the NBA and the team runs better with him being a “failsafe” how humbling
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
GusT15
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,270

Re: Kevin Durant Not Expected By 'Most In NBA' To Re-Sign Regardless Of Playoff Result 

Post#3 » by GusT15 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:03 pm

cheese318 wrote:Wow I am befuddled. I thought this was KD’s team the whole time. The best player in the NBA and the team runs better with him being a “failsafe” how humbling

KD may be a lot of things but dumb is not one of them.

Of course he knows it's Steph's team,he knows he's just the luxury that wins them the ring in 4 or 5 instead of 7.

And that's why he's on record saying he's not as happy with his rings and his FMVP's as he thought he'd be.It didn't make him feel "complete" as a ball player.

I'm just glad the league had to endure the Curry/KD led Warriors for only 3 years and not longer.
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by cheese318 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:13 pm

GusT15 wrote:
cheese318 wrote:Wow I am befuddled. I thought this was KD’s team the whole time. The best player in the NBA and the team runs better with him being a “failsafe” how humbling

Of course he knows it's Steph's team,he knows he's just the luxury that wins them the ring in 4 or 5 instead of 7.

And that's why he's on record saying he's not as happy with his rings and his FMVP's as he thought he'd be.It didn't make him feel "complete" as a ball player.

I'm just glad the league had to endure the Curry/KD led Warriors for only 3 years and not longer.

Just remember KD is mentally weak. Let’s see him shock the world and stay in GSW so they could be the greatest team ever assembled. That’s what I would be selling him if I were GSW when he is about to leave this summer. For all the hate he has to endure in 10-20 years it will be more praise than hate for the accomplishments the team would have completed. Question for all the people who discuss GOAT all the time. If KD won 7-8 titles in GSW will he ever be in context for GOAT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
GusT15
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,270

Post#5 » by GusT15 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:19 pm

cheese318 wrote:
GusT15 wrote:

Just remember KD is mentally weak. Let’s see him shock the world and stay in GSW so they could be the greatest team ever assembled. That’s what I would be selling him if I were GSW when he is about to leave this summer. For all the hate he has to endure in 10-20 years it will be more praise than hate for the accomplishments the team would have completed. Question for all the people who discuss GOAT all the time. If KD won 7-8 titles in GSW will he ever be in context for GOAT?

That's the thing though,they already sold him the the greatest team ever assembled argument,and he went along with it,and by all sources he's still not happy with his accomplishments.
That's why i think he's as good as gone.

Either way,the Warriors would have 2 more years of dominance after this one,which means they would slow down at 5 for KD even if they kept the same team.

Time is unbeatable,once Curry reaches 34 and KD 33 they'll slow down as a natural outcome.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,811

Post#6 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:57 pm

This is all BS. If I were in his shoes, I'd stay and try to win 7 championships.

And I'm actually rooting for the Knicks. It's what he should do.
SAKURABA216
Starter
And1: 817

Post#7 » by SAKURABA216 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:07 pm

This is stupid. How could it be any other way? Durant is one of the best 1-on-1 players while Steph and the others play within a system and score in transition. When the play breaks down, they can give it to Durant to try to create something out of nothing, but it can't work the other way. If they start by running the ball through Durant there just isn't enough time to run a play or score in transition when the entire defense has already set up.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#8 » by tigerae » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:17 pm

If he stays he would never be in the conversation of the GOAT. No matter how many championships they win as a team. Would they be considered as one of the best teams right up there with Russell's Celtics, of course, but he would always be known as the superstar that joined a 73 win team who won a championship the year before in his prime to win a championship. The team that eliminated his Thunder, no less. He joined "the enemy."

The GOAT conversation is about "leading" a team to championships. Russell, Jordan, Kobe, LBJ and others in that conversation have all done that and more.

KD is very upset that he's not in that conversation as he believes he should be and he won't be until he can lead a team to at least a championship (likely multiple championships) to start being in that conversation.

Honestly, I think even Curry is a bit upset as well that KD has won the Finals MVP trophies. I remember his reaction after Game 3 last year when he tried to have a good game but just couldn't get it going. Most players would be a little upset at themselves but would be ecstatic that they are now up 3-0 in the Finals.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#9 » by hyberx » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:24 pm

By the expectation of 'Most In NBA', Paul George is now playing with LeBron on the Lakers.
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by cheese318 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:28 pm

SAKURABA216 wrote:

This is stupid. How could it be any other way? Durant is one of the best 1-on-1 players while Steph and the others play within a system and score in transition. When the play breaks down, they can give it to Durant to try to create something out of nothing, but it can't work the other way. If they start by running the ball through Durant there just isn't enough time to run a play or score in transition when the entire defense has already set up.

Hoopzilla wrote:
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by cheese318 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:32 pm

hyberx wrote:By the expectation of 'Most In NBA', Paul George is now playing with LeBron on the Lakers.

Exactly....

Hoopzilla wrote:
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#12 » by Vegeta10176 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:51 pm

cheese318 wrote:
hyberx wrote:By the expectation of 'Most In NBA', Paul George is now playing with LeBron on the Lakers.

Exactly....

He is gone..
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by Vegeta10176 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:55 pm

cheese318 wrote:
SAKURABA216 wrote:

So you are stating KD cannot create anything he’s just a spot up shooter? I am sure he loves the analysis. Keep the hot takes coming

KD is not a point guard who controls plays like LBJ not is he a spot up shooter even this guys post says KD creates a shot.. KD and Kawhi are both like that.. They create their own shot hence not spot up shooters.. I guess you can't read the guys post?
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by Vegeta10176 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:55 pm

cheese318 wrote:
SAKURABA216 wrote:

So you are stating KD cannot create anything he’s just a spot up shooter? I am sure he loves the analysis. Keep the hot takes coming

KD is not a point guard who controls plays like LBJ nor is he a spot up shooter even this guys post says KD creates a shot.. KD and Kawhi are both like that.. They create their own shot hence not spot up shooters.. I guess you can't read the guys post?
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,328

Post#15 » by ShotCreator » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:35 pm

Yeah he's gone. It's pretty obvious when it's like this as far as league-wide rumours are concerned. The insiders just don't know where with a certainty. Though NYK is probably it.
Swinging for the fences.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 617

Post#16 » by alienpick » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:02 pm

GusT15 wrote:
cheese318 wrote:
GusT15 wrote:

That's the thing though,they already sold him the the greatest team ever assembled argument,and he went along with it,and by all sources he's still not happy with his accomplishments.
That's why i think he's as good as gone.

Either way,the Warriors would have 2 more years of dominance after this one,which means they would slow down at 5 for KD even if they kept the same team.

Time is unbeatable,once Curry reaches 34 and KD 33 they'll slow down as a natural outcome.

When you really want something and find an easy and effortless way to get it, it’s never going to mean as much as when you put in the hardwork and EARN it. That’s KDs issue. In his heart he knows he cheated and short cutted his goal of winning a championship. In his heart he feels like he didn’t earn it. That’s why he’s going to leave.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#17 » by Spud2nique » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:28 pm

Cupcake Durant.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,523

Post#18 » by dice » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:34 pm

tigerae wrote:If he stays he would never be in the conversation of the GOAT. No matter how many championships they win as a team. Would they be considered as one of the best teams right up there with Russell's Celtics, of course, but he would always be known as the superstar that joined a 73 win team who won a championship the year before in his prime to win a championship. The team that eliminated his Thunder, no less. He joined "the enemy."

The GOAT conversation is about "leading" a team to championships. Russell, Jordan, Kobe, LBJ and others in that conversation have all done that and more.

errr...kobe is decidedly not in the GOAT conversation. he's not even in the GOHT (greatest of his time) conversation
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,523

Post#19 » by dice » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:41 pm

cheese318 wrote:

Exactly....

you're telling us that plans can change? even at the last minute? :o

KD has given every indication that he is gone other than outright saying it...actually, check that...he did say it. on the court after a dust-up with draymond. on camera
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#20 » by 23artest23 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:57 pm

If he weren't leaving, he wouldn't be putting up with all the media, questions, problems, ect. that arise from the whole ordeal. He says he doesn't like it or appreciate this of he were staying, he would say so and put an end to it. No doubt he is leaving.

Return to Wiretap Discussion