Cavaliers Already Receiving Trade Interest On J.R. Smith's Contract

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Cavaliers Already Receiving Trade Interest On J.R. Smith's Contract 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:51 pm

The Cleveland Cavaliers are already receiving trade calls on J.R. Smith. The Cavaliers believed they would receive better offers for Smith and his unique contract in the offseason rather than the trade deadline.

Smith's contract counts for more than $15 million for trade purposes but the receiving team will only be committed to paying him $3.8 million. Smith's contract with grandfathered into the current CBA when it comes to salary matching. The receiving team can stretch Smith's $3.8 million over three years to create even more cap space.

“We have a trade chip in JR Smith, and his contract, where we can take on some money that other teams are trying to get some cap relief from,” general manager Koby Altman said Friday. “We are actually the only team in the NBA that can provide guaranteed cap relief until July 1. We can guarantee that right now and we actually had a phone call (Thursday) on that trade chip, so, we’re going to keep on being aggressive adding those assets because we do eventually want to consolidate and be really good at some point.”

The Cavaliers are seeking a first round pick from a team looking to create cap space.

Via Chris Fedor/Cleveland Plain Dealer

LukaMagic
Senior
And1: 679

Re: Cavaliers Already Receiving Trade Interest On J.R. Smith's Contract 

Post#2 » by LukaMagic » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:36 pm

Let me guess, the Lakers are one of the teams interested? I am hearing that Thompson is also available.. :D
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#3 » by Rek » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:31 pm

LukaMagic wrote:Let me guess, the Lakers are one of the teams interested? I am hearing that Thompson is also available.. :D

Why? Lakers don't need cap space. They need an all-star willing to take it.
LukaMagic
Senior
And1: 679

Post#4 » by LukaMagic » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:46 pm

Rek wrote:
LukaMagic wrote:Let me guess, the Lakers are one of the teams interested? I am hearing that Thompson is also available.. :D

Why? Lakers don't need cap space. They need an all-star willing to take it.

They won't be stretching him. LeBron will make sure JR&Klutch get their share of the pie.. :wink:
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#5 » by mg » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:50 pm

It'll be some team that needs capspace to sign a FA this summer (Brooklyn? Dallas?) or a team that needs to clear a contract to stay out of the lux tax (Charlotte? Mia? Minn? Portland?)
andyjinkim
Freshman
And1: 5

Post#6 » by andyjinkim » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:44 pm

mg wrote:It'll be some team that needs capspace to sign a FA this summer (Brooklyn? Dallas?) or a team that needs to clear a contract to stay out of the lux tax (Charlotte? Mia? Minn? Portland?)

100% not going to Brooklyn, he doesn't fit the culture and we don't need a SG.
andyjinkim
Freshman

Post#7 » by andyjinkim » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:45 pm

this was my immediate first thought lol. los angeles cavalierssss
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#8 » by likashing » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:56 pm

For a split second I thought some teams wanted JR as a player instead of just using him to shred salaries.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Not2BeBothered
Junior
And1: 314

Post#9 » by Not2BeBothered » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:36 pm

andyjinkim wrote:
mg wrote:It'll be some team that needs capspace to sign a FA this summer (Brooklyn? Dallas?) or a team that needs to clear a contract to stay out of the lux tax (Charlotte? Mia? Minn? Portland?)

It wouldn’t be to play him, it would be to get out of Allen Crabbe contract, Nets can attach nugget’s 1st round pick
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#10 » by Fresh360Waves » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:42 pm

andyjinkim wrote:

Nets would just release him plus I don't think he'd like playing for the Nets anyways. It would mean he'd actually have to play within a system and play defense.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#11 » by Fresh360Waves » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:44 pm

Lakers make the least sense. We don't need to shed any contracts.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#12 » by BigHustle » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:22 am

Brings back fond memories of the finals when JR forgot how much time was on the clock and make lbj so mad. Was that last year?

How time flies when you’re watching lbj implode a franchise.
andyjinkim
Freshman

Post#13 » by andyjinkim » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:20 pm

Fresh360Waves wrote:
andyjinkim wrote:

Nets would just release him plus I don't think he'd like playing for the Nets anyways. It would mean he'd actually have to play within a system and play defense.

As a Nets fan I appreciate this haha

Return to Wiretap Discussion