Tom Coughlin Appears To Violate Rules On Voluntary Workouts

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Tom Coughlin Appears To Violate Rules On Voluntary Workouts 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:03 pm

The NFL declined to comment on comments made by Tom Coughlin about the absences of players for voluntary workouts with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

“We’re close to 100 percent attendance — and quite frankly all of our players should be here,” said Coughlin.

From Article 21, Section 5(a) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement: “No Club official may indicate to a player that the Club’s offseason workout program or classroom instruction is not voluntary”

“All our players should be here” represents an in-plain-sight indication that the sessions aren’t voluntary.

The union pushed back twice in 2017 against aggressive efforts from Coughlin to get around the rules.

Via Mike Florio/Pro Football Talk

mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Re: Tom Coughlin Appears To Violate Rules On Voluntary Workouts 

Post#2 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:56 pm

You want to get paid the big bucks? Do the little things, like show up when your boss thinks you "should" be there. Simple.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,962

Post#3 » by Cassius » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:38 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:You want to get paid the big bucks? Do the little things, like show up when your boss thinks you "should" be there. Simple.

What if your boss is a jerk who doesn't obey the rules like not paying overtime? Would you show up for voluntary training?
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#4 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:28 pm

Cassius wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:You want to get paid the big bucks? Do the little things, like show up when your boss thinks you "should" be there. Simple.

What if your boss is a jerk who doesn't obey the rules like not paying overtime? Would you show up for voluntary training?

Yes. It's about TEAM first. And the guys who ARE there. You got rich playing a GAME. Show up and play.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,962

Post#5 » by Cassius » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:26 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Cassius wrote:

Yes. It's about TEAM first. And the guys who ARE there. You got rich playing a GAME. Show up and play.

It's still a job. That was my point about overtime. We can walk it all the way bank from investment bankers making $200K out of college to the fast-food worker making slightly more than minimum wage. No matter what my job is, someone in a worse position can always tell me to show up and work/fry/play because I'm rich in comparison to them.

If I'm a mid-to-late round pick, I'm not rich and have a three-four year career ahead of me. That voluntary time can (and probably should) be used to prep for the next stage in life, or at least enjoy the current one. And... and this is just personal... I've stopped considering getting rich playing a game a luxury. I doubt more than 1% of people on this site have done as much physically demanding training for a month of their entire lives... let alone for most of their childhood, to get ahead in life.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#6 » by cheese318 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:59 pm

Cassius wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
Cassius wrote:

It's still a job. That was my point about overtime. We can walk it all the way bank from investment bankers making $200K out of college to the fast-food worker making slightly more than minimum wage. No matter what my job is, someone in a worse position can always tell me to show up and work/fry/play because I'm rich in comparison to them.

If I'm a mid-to-late round pick, I'm not rich and have a three-four year career ahead of me. That voluntary time can (and probably should) be used to prep for the next stage in life, or at least enjoy the current one. And... and this is just personal... I've stopped considering getting rich playing a game a luxury. I doubt more than 1% of people on this site have done as much physically demanding training for a month of their entire lives... let alone for most of their childhood, to get ahead in life.

Pretty sure Coughlin is calling out Jalen Ramsey who was a top pick in the NFL Draft. He’s been paid millions already. He wants a new contract and this is his way of trying to get one. There is many ways to say to negotiate but in the NFL not showing up can be a double edged sword for the player. Bell would say it doesn’t work even though he said he would’ve come back last season and PIT wouldn't put in contract they cannot franchise him again. What a sham of an organization using the tag for something that it was never truly meant for. If Ramsey was a QB he would be getting offers through the moon so he comes back ASAP.

Position is very important when it comes to importance over the team accepting certain behavior. Ben Rothlisberger got away with murder when he was younger and now he pushes character issues and liabilities to the young guys on his team but doesn’t remember how big of a schmuck he was years ago.
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion