ImageImageImageImage

What do you want our roster/starting lineup to look like at the start of next season?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,922

Re: What do you want our roster/starting lineup to look like at the start of next season? 

Post#21 » by MagicMatic » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:42 pm

DJ/ Fultz
Brogdon / #16 NAW
Isaac/ Iwundu
AG /
Birch/ Bamba

Draft NAW or Langford at #16.
Draft Edwards, Okeke, or Horton Tucker at #46.

We let Vuc walk. If not, sign him with the intent to trade before the deadline next season.

Move Fourniers contract. If not, make him come off the bench filling in for Ross.

Maybe resign Ross depending on the number. Probably not.

That’s a realistic strategy that could happen. What will happen? We bring back everybody and nothing changes.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,064

Re: What do you want our roster/starting lineup to look like at the start of next season? 

Post#22 » by The Real Dalic » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:11 pm

If we strike out in FA and don't land a Kemba type player, than I try to re-sign Vuc and Ross and keep building on what we have. However, AG is a player and has been by far the best Magic player when it matters most, which is the playoffs. He needs to be here for the long haul and try to get other players as good as him and that want to win and aren't afraid of the spotlight like him.

If we can't sign Ross and Vuc, I'd be alright with it and just let all the young guys go ham. Let AG, Fultz, Isaac, and Bamba take over and we can decide if we want to keep Fournier by mid-season.

However, I feel like we need to run the offense through Gordon from now on and live with the mistakes until he either becomes a star, or we find one. Gordon and Vuc are equals and should both be getting as many touches as possible.

But after watching these playoffs, I'm convinced more than ever that AG is the best player on this extremely young roster.

Tldr; Keep building on what we have. Try to re-sign Vuc and Ross without hamstringing ourselves. If not, it's fine. Let AG take the reins.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154

Post#23 » by zaymon » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:18 pm

I dont think next year is best time to make drastic changes. We shouldnt rush anything just becouse we made playoffs or becouse we are getting destroyed by Raptors. We have so many promising lottery picks that bottoming now is crazy. We should resign our assets and move them in 2-3 years if needed. Vucevic on 22-25 M a year is asset, Ross on 10-12 M is asset. Best case scenario is Fultz getting healthy( and happy). We saw what competent shot creator gives us in game 1. Good replacement for Ross this year- Brogdon, Bogdanovic, Lamb, Rivers.

Fultz/Dj/Briscoe
Fournier/NAW
Gordon/Ross
Isaac/2nd rnd
Vucevic/Bamba.

2020/2021 we say bye bye to Mozgov, possibly move Vucevic and sign what we need to contend
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,282

Post#24 » by pepe1991 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:36 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:If we strike out in FA and don't land a Kemba type player, than I try to re-sign Vuc and Ross and keep building on what we have. However, AG is a player and has been by far the best Magic player when it matters most, which is the playoffs. He needs to be here for the long haul and try to get other players as good as him and that want to win and aren't afraid of the spotlight like him.

If we can't sign Ross and Vuc, I'd be alright with it and just let all the young guys go ham. Let AG, Fultz, Isaac, and Bamba take over and we can decide if we want to keep Fournier by mid-season.

However, I feel like we need to run the offense through Gordon from now on and live with the mistakes until he either becomes a star, or we find one. Gordon and Vuc are equals and should both be getting as many touches as possible.

But after watching these playoffs, I'm convinced more than ever that AG is the best player on this extremely young roster.

Tldr; Keep building on what we have. Try to re-sign Vuc and Ross without hamstringing ourselves. If not, it's fine. Let AG take the reins.

However, AG is a player and has been by far the best Magic player when it matters most, which is the playoffs. He needs to be here for the long haul and try to get other players as good as him and that want to win and aren't afraid of the spotlight like him.

Let's pump a breaks for a second.
Gordon is shooting well for 3 ( 56% that's crazy ) BUT he is only averaging 16 ppg in playoffs.
Also two times he scored 20 and 25 , team lost by 22 and by 29 points.
In two games that were close he scored 10 and 10, shooting 3-10 and 4-10 from the floor.

He had AMAZING third quater last night, and i don't want to take it for him , but at that point game was already pulling toward the end ( team down 16 almost whole time ). In two of 4 games he had worst +/ - , and both that games happend to be games where he scored the most.

He is really good role player, but claiming he is next star is same claim that has been repeated to oblivion since 2014 and proven wrong every year. Year in and year out.

To make things worst, him, Vuc and DJ actually have best offensive rating in playoffs, however 3 of them also have the worst defensive raing. All Magic 5 starters have worst net rating on a team, and that's just reality of current situation. Playing better, more talented team.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#25 » by fendilim » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:56 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
Mauro Pedrosa wrote:Fultz
Realistically Fournier
Isaac
Gordon
Bamba

Apparently Orlando had an opportunity to dump Fournier at deadline and opted not to (Kyler).

Kinda gives me "realistic" hope that we look to deal him this summer and not have to mortgage half of our roster/assets to do so.

For who though? Fournier as a salary dump? The team was trying to make a run for the playoffs. Fournier is having a down year this year, you don't base your decision on half a season (trade deadline), when the guy has pretty much been a vital part of the offense, and you will move him for a salary dump in the midst of a playoff run.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#26 » by fendilim » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:00 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
fendilim wrote:Stretch Mozgov.

Max DLo.

Resign Vuc. And TRoss

Vuc/Bamba
Isaac/
Gordon/Ross
Fournier/Ross
DLo/DJ

Not even considering Fultz atm. Better build a team without considering he is fully healed to start the season.

and then you woke up :lol:

See there's this thing called cap space, that we dont have to make this even remotely possible.

Events that would need to happen for us to open max cap space.

We do not resign Vucevic

We do not resign Ross

Stretch Mosgov

Dump Augustine or Fournier as a pure salary dump (obviously Fournier would be ideal in this situation, but Augustine probably nets us a small asset).

Now ask yourself what player would want to play for us when we just let go of our all-star and we're heading towards a 30 win season?
Stretch Mozgov, dump DJ and dump Grant. Thats around 15 million worth of salaries.VUc and Tross are also expiring deals as well. So you just re-sign them after signing Dlo.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,077

Post#27 » by bigdogdylan5 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:01 pm

Tell me if I am crazy but I really want to see what Birch can do as starter and big contributor. If I am being honest I want to let Vuc go and start Birch with Bamba backing him up. Signing Vuc for 20 mil+ feels stupid to me for investing that much into a position that has become the least important and having two cheap guys who I believe can hold it down. Using that money and investing in way more important backcourt makes way to much sense to me.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#28 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:10 pm

fendilim wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
Mauro Pedrosa wrote:Fultz
Realistically Fournier
Isaac
Gordon
Bamba

Apparently Orlando had an opportunity to dump Fournier at deadline and opted not to (Kyler).

Kinda gives me "realistic" hope that we look to deal him this summer and not have to mortgage half of our roster/assets to do so.

For who though? Fournier as a salary dump? The team was trying to make a run for the playoffs. Fournier is having a down year this year, you don't base your decision on half a season (trade deadline), when the guy has pretty much been a vital part of the offense, and you will move him for a salary dump in the midst of a playoff run.

Well I never said I did not agree with the decision, but if his salary is the culprit of us not being able to offer a max contract to a true game changer this summer then I dump him without any hesitation.

and by the looks of it his salary directly effects our chances of being true potential suitors for any big time players (this summer and the next).

IMO if you can dump him without giving up any significant assets you do it.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#29 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:25 pm

fendilim wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:

Max DLo.

Resign Vuc. And TRoss

Vuc/Bamba
Isaac/
Gordon/Ross
Fournier/Ross
DLo/DJ

Not even considering Fultz atm. Better build a team without considering he is fully healed to start the season.

and then you woke up :lol:

See there's this thing called cap space, that we dont have to make this even remotely possible.

Events that would need to happen for us to open max cap space.

We do not resign Vucevic

We do not resign Ross

Stretch Mosgov

Dump Augustine or Fournier as a pure salary dump (obviously Fournier would be ideal in this situation, but Augustine probably nets us a small asset).

Now ask yourself what player would want to play for us when we just let go of our all-star and we're heading towards a 30 win season?
Stretch Mozgov, dump DJ and dump Grant. Thats around 15 million worth of salaries.VUc and Tross are also expiring deals as well. So you just re-sign them after signing Dlo.

That's not how the salary cap works my friend :lol:

As it stands currently we are NEGATIVE 40m coming into summer.

If we renounce Vucevic and Ross we lose their cap holds.

The absolute ONLY realistic way to offer a max contract this summer would be the following..

We stretch Mozgov

We renounce everyone but Birch. This includes Vucevic and Ross.

We dump Augustine as a pure salary dump.

These events will open up around a little over 34m

There is no other realistic way.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#30 » by Max Power » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:36 pm

If it’s me I’m honestly resigning Vuc and Ross. We got to the playoffs on their backs offensively. Now that we’ve seen playoffs again I really don’t want to take a step back for the sake of seeing if Bamba can become our center of the future. You keep the guy who’s sure fire and that’s been Vuc.

We need to add a scorer and a big guy to add toughness in the paint. Those have been our glaring weaknesses vs the Raptors. Jiwol mentioned a trade for Bradley Beal I loved. I go all in on that.

My first move is to package Fournier and Bamba and a frp for some kind of offensive upgrade. Beal would be great, so would Kemba if we could find ways to get it done. But we’re probably looking at 2020 before we can grab a name free agent. Let’s not regress in the meantime, the better we are when that day comes the more attractive we are. So my roster next year looks something like this:

C: Vuc/Birch/Mozgov
F: Gordon/Jefferson
F: Issac/Draft Pick/free agent
G: Fultz/Ross
G: Draft Pick or Free Agent /Augustine/MCW

I could see us making a trade also but can’t predict what other than Fournier being involved. I think the Magic will look at depth improvements along with cheap pieces that score and defend. The goal will be slight improvement on this year in order to attract a major piece next summer.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,077

Post#31 » by bigdogdylan5 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:01 pm

Max Power wrote:If it’s me I’m honestly resigning Vuc and Ross. We got to the playoffs on their backs offensively. Now that we’ve seen playoffs again I really don’t want to take a step back for the sake of seeing if Bamba can become our center of the future. You keep the guy who’s sure fire and that’s been Vuc.

We need to add a scorer and a big guy to add toughness in the paint. Those have been our glaring weaknesses vs the Raptors. Jiwol mentioned a trade for Bradley Beal I loved. I go all in on that.

My first move is to package Fournier and Bamba and a frp for some kind of offensive upgrade. Beal would be great, so would Kemba if we could find ways to get it done. But we’re probably looking at 2020 before we can grab a name free agent. Let’s not regress in the meantime, the better we are when that day comes the more attractive we are. So my roster next year looks something like this:

C: Vuc/Birch/Mozgov
F: Gordon/Jefferson
F: Issac/Draft Pick/free agent
G: Fultz/Ross
G: Draft Pick or Free Agent /Augustine/MCW

I could see us making a trade also but can’t predict what other than Fournier being involved. I think the Magic will look at depth improvements along with cheap pieces that score and defend. The goal will be slight improvement on this year in order to attract a major piece next summer.

I really don't think its smart at all to sell low on Bamba. You don't select him if you are going to panic and just dump him after one year. You knew he was raw you knew he was going to be a project. Its like being in the stock market and selling off after a big drop in the market. The worst thing you can do.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#32 » by drsd » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:50 pm

pepe1991 wrote:1) resign Vučević on 4 years $85-90M ...

You are at least 15M short here.

And it is the 5th year that gets this deal done.

5-for-125

That is the bargain deal for Orlando.

drsd
RealGM

Post#33 » by drsd » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:52 pm

This is absurd for me. i) Mozgov could actually be healthy next year. ii) His contract expires so why stretch.

drsd
RealGM

Post#34 » by drsd » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:54 pm

jayrehme wrote:vuc and augustin out of the starting lineup... they'd be great role players off the bench

Vučević had a top-30 NBA year this year. One could argue that he was a top-10 player.

yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#35 » by yoyojw17 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:18 pm

zaymon wrote:I dont think next year is best time to make drastic changes. We shouldnt rush anything just becouse we made playoffs or becouse we are getting destroyed by Raptors. We have so many promising lottery picks that bottoming now is crazy. We should resign our assets and move them in 2-3 years if needed. Vucevic on 22-25 M a year is asset, Ross on 10-12 M is asset. Best case scenario is Fultz getting healthy( and happy). We saw what competent shot creator gives us in game 1. Good replacement for Ross this year- Brogdon, Bogdanovic, Lamb, Rivers.

Fultz/Dj/Briscoe
Fournier/NAW
Gordon/Ross
Isaac/2nd rnd
Vucevic/Bamba.

2020/2021 we say bye bye to Mozgov, possibly move Vucevic and sign what we need to contend

I agree with you on the direction. We are still not in a position to make drastic changes and hand things over to the youngems. No matter how I look at it... Fournier and Vuc are major pieces that brought this jump to the team.... vuc being the one who I would like to keep intact as much as possible. Jeremy lamb as people have suggested could fit right into the starting SG position. But needless to say.. part of the cultural shift and team dynamic starts with those 2 guys... and after the experience we are gaining in this offseason push... their continuity would be great to have as the others develop. Fournier had a down year... and even in a down year... his numbers aren't terrible at all.

If fultz is healthy and can give us what I hope he can... everything changes drastically for everyone on both ends of the court. so yes... if alleviated of certain pressures … the entire complexion of the starting unit can be changed by next year.

If they think that there is a light at the end of the tunnel filled with rainbows and ish…. then we are going all in with him at the PG position. With all the mystery from before... I know it's hard for many to put faith into him... but geez... he will be a total game changer for us. Was a gamble.... but the payoff can prove to give us some exponential growth.

and a quality guard would be great to get in this years draft. there are a few that I got my eye on... and one should be there at 16. and yes... if Bol bol falls... screw it.... his talent is undeniable.... just gambling with his body for a bit. I'm not a dr. but if they give thumbs up.... why not.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Post#36 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:21 pm

drsd wrote:

5-for-125

That is a 3 year cap killing, 8-10th seed deal for Orlando.

Anything above 100M is an overpay for this current Magic team. If another team Values Vuc at 25+M a year it’s because they already have star 1&2 with role players 3&4.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#37 » by j-ragg » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:36 pm

drsd wrote:

5-for-125

What a bargain :lol:
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,387

Post#38 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:09 pm

drsd wrote:
jayrehme wrote:vuc and augustin out of the starting lineup... they'd be great role players off the bench

Vučević had a top-30 NBA year this year. One could argue that he was a top-10 player.

The regular season matters very little
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,282

Post#39 » by pepe1991 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Mauro Pedrosa wrote:
drsd wrote:

The regular season matters very little

Playoffs don't have that big of an infulence on salary. if it did, T mac would be payed as role player for whole career, and in reality at one point he was i think highest payed basketball player in the world. Never passed first round as starter in his career.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Post#40 » by cedric76 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:31 pm

I expect us to lose vuc, hopefully we can work on a sign and trade and get a young pf with potential

I also expect us to trade Evan in Feb in a similar way we traded Arron Afflalo (for a young Evan Fournier)

1 year huge contract to Ross

Fultz. Dj. Brisco
Evan. Fultz. #16. Ross
Isaac. Iwundu
Ag. PF(via vuc trade). Vet PF
Mo. Birch. Moz
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon