Magic Johnson Says He's Still Helping Lakers, Communicating With Them Daily

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Magic Johnson Says He's Still Helping Lakers, Communicating With Them Daily 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:25 pm

Magic Johnson was interviewed by TMZ and continued to explain his decision to leave the Los Angeles Lakers. Johnson was asked if he would have done anything differently with the Lakers. 

“No. The same,” Johnson said. “Everybody knows I love the Lakers, and so I’m gonna always help them. Like right now, I’m gonna still help them. I love my team, I love my franchise, and I love this city.

“You have to do things sometimes on your own terms. It doesn’t matter what other people think, see? And I’m that guy. But I’m still helping them. It’s almost like I never left (laughs). I’m still talking to them every day,” Johnson continued. “I’m gonna help them get the Lakers back right, you can believe that.”

Johnson went on to repeat the notion that he still talks to the Lakers daily despite resigning at the end of the regular season.

“I love Jeanie,” Johnson said. "I’m trying to help. Listen, I may not be in there physically, but I’m still there.”

Via Harrison Faigen/Silver Screen & Roll

GordanFreeman
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,165

Re: Magic Johnson Says He's Still Helping Lakers, Communicating With Them Daily 

Post#2 » by GordanFreeman » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:09 pm

This dude has no shame.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,787

Post#3 » by RoyceDa59 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:30 pm

Best way Magic could help the Lakers is to stay completely away from the team. He's better off as a non-official team figure head.
Go Raps!!
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#4 » by likashing » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:21 pm

Still tampering on behalf of the Lakers without an official title?
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,128

Post#5 » by Plutonashfan » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:26 pm

Lakers are a mess. This man his no shame and wants to tamper and collide on behalf of this carny show. Wish the league could do something like threaten a lifetime ban if he starts talking to player under contract but I know they can't.
The Champ is HERE!!!
getitdone323
Sixth Man
And1: 2,760

Post#6 » by getitdone323 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:03 pm

Plutonashfan wrote:Lakers are a mess. This man his no shame and wants to tamper and collide on behalf of this carny show. Wish the league could do something like threaten a lifetime ban if he starts talking to player under contract but I know they can't.

idk about that. His best asset is his charm and personality, he couldnt use it as the PBO to recruit because its illegal. With no ties to lakers org as an employee, he can tamper freely. Its a win-win. He doesnt make any critical decisions for LAL but he can go out recruit players freely.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#7 » by kenwood3333 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:58 pm

I hope Lakers is not listening to him, because under his leadership, the Laker became a bigger mess than before.
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#8 » by Disinformation » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:00 pm

likashing wrote:Still tampering on behave of the Lakers without an official title?

Well, as far as I can tell, tampering was the only real skill he brought to the job so...probably. :lol:
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#9 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:03 pm

I don't really care what Magic does from here on out but he forfeited all rights to ever criticize any move the Lakers f/o makes for the rest of his life imo when he resigned the way he did.
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,198

Post#10 » by BNM » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:12 pm

Helping???

The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#11 » by The Laker Kid » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:29 pm

Tampering.. without getting fined
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
RoundMound
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#12 » by RoundMound » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:02 pm

HOF great player, lousy coach, GM, and talk show host.
DarkoNeedsAfro
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,239

Post#13 » by DarkoNeedsAfro » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:04 pm

Daily? So he's communicating with them more now than before he quit? Strange.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#14 » by Sam195 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:10 pm

LMFAO Magic is really a team player less than 24hrs after he resigned from the Lakers President Post he joined Ice Cube's Big3 ownership group that is trying to buy 23 FOX local sports networks that the Justice Department/SEC is forcing Disney to sell which was a major condition to approve Disney's $71B purchase of Fox. Reports are that after the Yankees initiated their right of first refusal to buy out the Yes Network (yankees/brooklyn nets games) the rest of the rights package though still valuable attracted less bidders and may actually sell for a bargain price below how much Disney appraised the value at in their initial purchase price which got upped even more when Comcast made a rival bid. Magic saw an opportunity to make some long term $$$ over captaining the Lakers disaster so he bailed - one thing he learned being apart of lakers both the teams and the front office is that their local tv rights deal the largest in the league with Time Warner is what feeds both the Buss family's bellies and their egos. Now Magic wants in on the action - I don't think the nba would let him own television rights of rival teams while he is the President of the Lakers so he had to dip regardless.
CH Smoot
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#15 » by CH Smoot » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:28 pm

Love you Magic. Miss you.
tasball
Senior
And1: 57

Post#16 » by tasball » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:09 pm

new position - Chief Tamperer
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#17 » by BigHustle » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:19 am

Sam195 wrote:LMFAO Magic is really a team player less than 24hrs after he resigned from the Lakers President Post he joined Ice Cube's Big3 ownership group that is trying to buy 23 FOX local sports networks that the Justice Department/SEC is forcing Disney to sell which was a major condition to approve Disney's $71B purchase of Fox. Reports are that after the Yankees initiated their right of first refusal to buy out the Yes Network (yankees/brooklyn nets games) the rest of the rights package though still valuable attracted less bidders and may actually sell for a bargain price below how much Disney appraised the value at in their initial purchase price which got upped even more when Comcast made a rival bid. Magic saw an opportunity to make some long term $$$ over captaining the Lakers disaster so he bailed - one thing he learned being apart of lakers both the teams and the front office is that their local tv rights deal the largest in the league with Time Warner is what feeds both the Buss family's bellies and their egos. Now Magic wants in on the action - I don't think the nba would let him own television rights of rival teams while he is the President of the Lakers so he had to dip regardless.

Most logical post I have read on the lakers in a long time. Always follow the money!
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#18 » by nedleeds » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:25 am

Hey he's probably there about as often as when they were paying him $10 million a year, so he's not lying.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#19 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:39 am

They call him Magic because he magically killed his teams chances of developing a contending roster :lol:
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
Ben Simmons
Starter
And1: 1,077

Post#20 » by Ben Simmons » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:41 am

He's untouchable :ouch:

Return to Wiretap Discussion