ImageImageImageImage

What should Orlando do with Vuc?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

What to do with Vuc after the season?

Sign him at all cost
19%
Sign him only for the right price
46%
Let him walk it is time to let Me Bamba grow
20%
Try to sign and trade him
10%
Sign Vuc and trade Mo Bamba
4%

Total votes: 125

KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Re: What should Orlando do with Vuc? 

Post#181 » by KillMonger » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:59 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Solid Snake wrote:Bamba needs to play behind vuc he isn't ready yet, anybody should be able to see that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
I'm sure Weham will have to look at all the free agent centers. I don't think it has to be Vuc. Vuc is probably looking for something long term and we might be looking for a one year with a team option.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Not in love or even infatuated with the other options out there... I guess the argument then become better vs cheaper..... Because I'm looking at free agent centers and looking at a combo of age and skill I don't really see anyone better.... However cheaper is a different story..... We can let vuc walk and be a 25-30 win team again that's fine for some people I guess... For me personally I'm tired of losing and having no reason to watch the games.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Jaxfann
Senior
And1: 40

Post#182 » by Jaxfann » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:03 am

Let him walk - did not show me enough resolve in the current playoff series.

Excellent finesse player - but too easily shut down with double team pressure!
NBlue
Rookie
And1: 714

Post#183 » by NBlue » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:21 am

Can I change my vote? **** Vooch.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#184 » by MoMM » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:43 am

Still keeping Vuc, I don't wanna be a 25-30 wins team anymore.

If we keep making the playoffs and being eliminated in the 1st round, I'm OK with that for some years. We won't win a NBA Championship anyway, our goal is 2030 :laugh:
jayrehme
Sixth Man
And1: 508

Post#185 » by jayrehme » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:58 am

Vucevic is a Kanter, Okafor, Greg Monroe type of center... offense off the bench
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#186 » by ezzzp » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:12 am

Bensational wrote: Paying Vuc big money to continue as the primary option on this team is a risk, in playoff terms. It has to come coupled with a plan to get a bonafide #1 option alongside him.

There is plenty of evidence showing Vucevic could be a solid #2-#3 guy. He just isn't a #1 guy, but that doesn't mean I would let the asset walk without return.

The Magic without Vucevic is almost certainly a lottery team for at least a couple of seasons. They instantly become a very undesirable free agent destination. No quality free agent is signing to a small market team that just hit the restart button.

Essentially that route means we're waiting 3 years for Fultz/JI/Bamba to be Aaron Gordon's age and very likely similar development stage...and that's IF they pan out. At that point Gordon will enter unrestricted free agency, which for most players on their 3d contract means he's very unlikely to resign.

Personally I would retain Vucevic and Ross. The first and second years of their contracts don't really matter how much. The key is the 3d/4th year. The contract needs to be structured so that its very tradable on the back end...similar to Aaron Gordon's. Or even better a 2+1 type contract.

That gives the young players time to develop under a competitive context, plus it gives the FO assets to trade in case a #1 option type player hits the trade market.
J_Magic
Starter
And1: 166

Post#187 » by J_Magic » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:34 am

Basically, this playoff would have decided if he was a 30 million player or a 20 million. Heck, even if we missed the playoffs, he may have got 25 + million.

I think we can resign him for 4 years at 80 million. I'm not sure if other teams will offer comparable numbers.
He is good value even if he didn't perform well vs the Raptors. Gasol just has his number.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#188 » by Bensational » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:25 am

ezzzp wrote:
Bensational wrote: Paying Vuc big money to continue as the primary option on this team is a risk, in playoff terms. It has to come coupled with a plan to get a bonafide #1 option alongside him.

There is plenty of evidence showing Vucevic could be a solid #2-#3 guy. He just isn't a #1 guy, but that doesn't mean I would let the asset walk without return.

The Magic without Vucevic is almost certainly a lottery team for at least a couple of seasons. They instantly become a very undesirable free agent destination. No quality free agent is signing to a small market team that just hit the restart button.

Essentially that route means we're waiting 3 years for Fultz/JI/Bamba to be Aaron Gordon's age and very likely similar development stage...and that's IF they pan out. At that point Gordon will enter unrestricted free agency, which for most players on their 3d contract means he's very unlikely to resign.

Personally I would retain Vucevic and Ross. The first and second years of their contracts don't really matter how much. The key is the 3d/4th year. The contract needs to be structured so that its very tradable on the back end...similar to Aaron Gordon's. Or even better a 2+1 type contract.

That gives the young players time to develop under a competitive context, plus it gives the FO assets to trade in case a #1 option type player hits the trade market.

The magic without Vuc aren't a certainty to be a lottery team, unless you expect the team to remain idle on making other changes along with letting him walk? The Magic with Vuc also aren't a certainty to be a playoff team - the league will change this offseason, other teams will become more competitive, and we'd lack the financial flexibility to add talent through free agency.

Keep Vuc or not, I think both options work. One thing is, he won't be a trade asset once he's resigned. Teams just don't give up much of anything for C's on large contracts unless they're expiring. That's fine though, as long as he doesn't regress to the standard he's shown more frequently throughout his career than he has this season. He would still be a BIG plus in our level of competitiveness, that can't be denied.

There's options either way though. I don't think there's a bad move to be made on the front of keeping him or letting him go. The backcourt is the primary concern. Upgrading that should be priority number 1.
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#189 » by woosah » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:41 am

Dmagic wrote:Let vooch go but he may stay realizing the market won't overpay but either way we should pay max to Julius randle .

I like Randle, but NAH.
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#190 » by MagicMatic » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:39 am

MoMM wrote:Still keeping Vuc, I don't wanna be a 25-30 wins team anymore.

If we keep making the playoffs and being eliminated in the 1st round, I'm OK with that for some years. We won't win a NBA Championship anyway, our goal is 2030 :laugh:

:nonono:

:noway:
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#191 » by MagicMatic » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:47 am

Bensational wrote:
ezzzp wrote:

The magic without Vuc aren't a certainty to be a lottery team, unless you expect the team to remain idle on making other changes along with letting him walk? The Magic with Vuc also aren't a certainty to be a playoff team - the league will change this offseason, other teams will become more competitive, and we'd lack the financial flexibility to add talent through free agency.

Keep Vuc or not, I think both options work. One thing is, he won't be a trade asset once he's resigned. Teams just don't give up much of anything for C's on large contracts unless they're expiring. That's fine though, as long as he doesn't regress to the standard he's shown more frequently throughout his career than he has this season. He would still be a BIG plus in our level of competitiveness, that can't be denied.

There's options either way though. I don't think there's a bad move to be made on the front of keeping him or letting him go. The backcourt is the primary concern. Upgrading that should be priority number 1.

My line of thinking with this is that if we can’t upgrade positions of need, then we don’t bring Vuc back on anything more than 2 years. I’m even hesitant to say that considering how he “showed up” in the playoffs.

No way should a 28 year old Center, in the league today, be paid a high amount for an extended contract. Not worth it. I wouldn’t even want Embiid or Adams at a high rate considering they will probably be both out of the league in a few years with how they are holding up. We need to find an alternative and stop relying on 90s basketball to win us games.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,529

Post#192 » by Rainwater » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:47 am

I really don't understand why people think Vuc will take a short term contract. This will be his last big payday, his contract will be a long one.
Maikson
Sophomore
And1: 158

Post#193 » by Maikson » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:41 am

After this playoffs series:

If he wants a long contract offer him 50/5 :lol: I know Gasol was a bad matchup, but jeez that was a poor display of playoff basketball by an all-star. 20 quarters played and he stepped up in what? 2 of them? 10%?
Studying English, please correct my mistakes if possible :)
BlueBalls
Sixth Man
And1: 669

Post#194 » by BlueBalls » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:52 am

Fire his ass.

And why do the poll choices always suck?
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#195 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:21 pm

I will be extremely surprised if the Magic don't make Vucevic a competitive offer to remain the starting C of this basketball team.

Doesn't mean he will for sure stay, but I am struggling to envision a scenario where the Magic don't at least attempt to build off this year's progress.

Letting Vucevic walk, even if it has merits over the long-term, would do enough damage in the short-term that I don't think Weltman and Hammond are going to let it happen.
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 427

Post#196 » by T-Cat » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:25 pm

I really think the front office is going to sign and trade him to the highest bidder.

He can get max money this way and we get a player we need in the process.

Spurs could use Vucevic and we get DeMar DeRozan.

Hornets get Vucevic and we get Walker.

Warriors get Vucevic and we either Durant or Thompson at max contacts (depending if either wants to join us this summer).

But I think the goal around draft time is to shed unnecessary salary and players of this team, to entice possible free agents.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#197 » by j-ragg » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:53 pm

T-Cat wrote:I really think the front office is going to sign and trade him to the highest bidder.

Warriors get Vucevic and we either Durant or Thompson at max contacts (depending if either wants to join us this summer).

But I think the goal around draft time is to shed unnecessary salary and players of this team, to entice possible free agents.

So we can basically have anyone in the league for him? Awesome!!
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#198 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:06 pm

T-Cat wrote:I really think the front office is going to sign and trade him to the highest bidder.

Just a heads up for you, but this isn't at all how sign and trades work because of Base Year Compensation (BYC) rules.

"If a player is being signed-and-traded via Early Bird or Bird rights by a team above the salary cap, gets a raise of at least 20%, and his salary is worth more than the minimum, his cap figure for salary-matching purposes will be affected. For the team acquiring him, his full salary would apply in a trade. For the team trading him, he would count for his previous salary or 50% of his new salary, whichever is greater."

So to make a long story short, if Vucevic signs for 25M, the most the Magic could take back in a trade would be 12.5M.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#199 » by pepe1991 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:00 pm

You can't sign and trade somebody without him giving green light to trade.
So not only that return would be smaller salary player, it would also have to to a team he wants to go.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#200 » by MoMM » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:07 pm

Seriously? Sadly you didn't propose Vuc for LeBron, that would be a done deal too.

Return to Orlando Magic