I'm probably out with NBA after tonight...

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

JustOneFix
Analyst
And1: 408

I'm probably out with NBA after tonight... 

Post#1 » by JustOneFix » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:23 pm

I have absolutely no idea who am i going to follow, for who am i going to cheer once the Blazers finish us. Not just this playoffs, but in the future as well. After like decades of being basicaly an NBA fanatic, this is the first time I'm completely losing any interest. I know I'm in deep minority but I think this is the weakest era in the last 30 or 40 years of this league. I just don't like these new stars. Greek Freek is a great player, but not really exciting to watch. Harden's phenomenal guard but with his 20 threes a night, he's just making me sleep. Kevin Durant is a pus**y and there is no way I can ever root for him after what he did to this team (and league in general). Ben Simmons is supposed to be some kind of next Lebron and the guy can't hit a backboard, Jokic's legs and arms are flying all over the place and the guy looks like a dumb truckdriver and actually reminds me of Big Country Revees with a better shooting touch. I grew up on in Isiah, Jordan, Sprewell, Barkley, Shaq, KG and a phenomenal 96 class (Iverson, Nash, Bryant, Ray Allen) and these new generation of players are just not aestheticly appeling to me.

And the worst part is how everyone plays the same. SInce the nerds with their algorithms got in the driver seats, the league is completely uniformed. In the past, there were fast, there were slow teams. There were shooting and there was inside scoring teams. Veteran teams as well as young ones. Defensive, slow teams and offensive, fast team. Now, they are all the same. Run, run run, 3's, 3's, 3's...boring as hell.

This team, with all it's flaws, was one of the last exciting things in this league for me. But Westbrook dissapointed me so much and the team overall failed so miserably that I just can't root for them anymore. So, I have absolutely no idea what else could I do now. I'll probably take a closer look at the Rockets and GS series, but other then that, I think I'm done with the league...
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Re: I'm probably out with NBA after tonight... 

Post#2 » by slick_watts » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:33 pm

bruh why is sprewell in there with those other guys.
JustOneFix
Analyst
And1: 408

Post#3 » by JustOneFix » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:35 pm

slick_watts wrote:bruh why is sprewell in there with those other guys.

You didn't like Spree? C'mon man, the guy was electric...
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Post#4 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:36 pm

I’ve never been able to turn off/on being a fan. I might not watch as regularly but I can’t just quit on a team or pick another one. Even before the thunder I was a very weak blazers fans but I wasn’t committed. It’s just a strange concept to me.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,018

Post#5 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:26 pm

Yeah well I will wait this offseason before deciding what I'm going to do but It's pretty certain that following the Thunder lately (and the NBA) is more about being stressed, pissed and disappointed. We still had great moments this year (MVPG, some great games with game winners etc). We knew our roster was limited and we depended a lot on Paul George but never thought it would be that bad in the end. 2 terrible and frustrating years in a row (I won't count 2017 because it was a beauty to watch Westbrook MVP season and our roster was too bad to make something better in the postseason)
Thundershock88
Starter
And1: 2,234

Post#6 » by Thundershock88 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:17 am

I won't stop being a Thunder fan, but I can tell you that I won't put myself through watching them next year with the same coach and roster.
MrPerfect1
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,425

Post#7 » by MrPerfect1 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:04 am

Why don't you like watching Giannis?

-He plays with a High Degree of Skill
-Plays with Passion at both ends of the floor
-Has a very high BB IQ. Almost always makes the right play
-Is a Great Passer
-Has a few unbelievable highlights each game
Osirus89
Starter
And1: 2,016

Post#8 » by Osirus89 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:30 am

You'll probably have more fun watching the playoffs from this point on without having a team in the mix. Especially a team like this one that isn't fun to watch in a playoff setting. Unless you are cheering for a title contender it always reaches this point for most fans. We've been watching Lebron battle Golden State for the last 4 years. Golden state will be there in the end, but there will be an entirely new representative for the East this year. That's pretty interesting.

Golden state is going to take it more than likely but Giannis is a pretty cool dude and actually has a legit chance of making it to the finals for Milwaukee for the first time probably since they had Kareem. There is also going to be a lot of salt between Boston, Philly, Toronto, and Milwaukee. That alone should make things fun.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Post#9 » by Old Man Game » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:34 am

The new nba shoot only 3s and layups wouldn't be so boring if our team were actually good at it. In rare nights the shots fall it's incredibly exciting.

Sent from my Pixel using RealGM mobile app
oreojenkins
Sophomore
And1: 140

Post#10 » by oreojenkins » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:10 pm

JustOneFix wrote:I have absolutely no idea who am i going to follow, for who am i going to cheer once the Blazers finish us. Not just this playoffs, but in the future as well. After like decades of being basicaly an NBA fanatic, this is the first time I'm completely losing any interest. I know I'm in deep minority but I think this is the weakest era in the last 30 or 40 years of this league. I just don't like these new stars. Greek Freek is a great player, but not really exciting to watch. Harden's phenomenal guard but with his 20 threes a night, he's just making me sleep. Kevin Durant is a pus**y and there is no way I can ever root for him after what he did to this team (and league in general). Ben Simmons is supposed to be some kind of next Lebron and the guy can't hit a backboard, Jokic's legs and arms are flying all over the place and the guy looks like a dumb truckdriver and actually reminds me of Big Country Revees with a better shooting touch. I grew up on in Isiah, Jordan, Sprewell, Barkley, Shaq, KG and a phenomenal 96 class (Iverson, Nash, Bryant, Ray Allen) and these new generation of players are just not aestheticly appeling to me.

And the worst part is how everyone plays the same. SInce the nerds with their algorithms got in the driver seats, the league is completely uniformed. In the past, there were fast, there were slow teams. There were shooting and there was inside scoring teams. Veteran teams as well as young ones. Defensive, slow teams and offensive, fast team. Now, they are all the same. Run, run run, 3's, 3's, 3's...boring as hell.

This team, with all it's flaws, was one of the last exciting things in this league for me. But Westbrook dissapointed me so much and the team overall failed so miserably that I just can't root for them anymore. So, I have absolutely no idea what else could I do now. I'll probably take a closer look at the Rockets and GS series, but other then that, I think I'm done with the league...

Yeah I'm not a fan of the Warriors era either. Ultimate results are foregone conclusions, it's too hard for bad teams to become good teams, it's just not exciting. I'd never drop the Thunder, I just don't pay attention to the rest of the league.

I actually do enjoy the statistical side of basketball now, but I LOATHE the way 90%+ of social media fans act/think/treat the game. One big groupthink party. Westbrook sucks because he can't shoot, that was a good shot for Lillard because he's 60%+ on 30'+ 3s (pay no mind to it being 7' longer than 30' and a sample of < 20 lol), and just the general nuthugging of whatever player is the current darling + absolute hating on anyone that isn't approved by the cool kids. Westbrook can be a truly awful shooter and still be pretty good. Lillard's shot could be less than optimal even if it went in. Etc. It shouldn't bother me, and the problem is with me really not them, but the lack of critical thinking drives me crazy and it's soooo prevalent and overwhelming. Either you fall in line with the majority or you're an idiot.

And the flopping is out of control. It really is a turnoff. Wish the league would make flopping subject to video review with punishment being a technical foul. Lillard had an all-time game last night, and it was hard for me to get past the fact that he spent 10% of it on his back. He's supposed to be this ice cold gangster on the court, but he spends so much time flailing and whining. (I'm not saying Westbrook et al don't flail or cry, just using Lillard as an example.) Bring back the physicality; I want to see more alpha stuff. The refs are bad enough, we don't need to let them get tricked with no recourse.
SecondTake
Veteran
And1: 1,493

Post#11 » by SecondTake » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:50 pm

The rest of the playoffs are going to be super tough to watch. GSW vs HOU and GSW vs MIL are the only series I'm probably going to watch. Without OKC out there though the excitement is gone.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#12 » by Sinobas » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:06 pm

I don't blame you. It's hard to cheer for a team that is full of jerks and can't get out of the first round (been there with the jailblazer era). RW seems like a sociopath. Paul George...I felt bad for him after he broke his leg, but after what I witnessed in this series, I wouldn't care if he shattered his leg again.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#13 » by Pillendreher » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:21 pm

Osirus89 wrote:You'll probably have more fun watching the playoffs from this point on without having a team in the mix. Especially a team like this one that isn't fun to watch in a playoff setting. Unless you are cheering for a title contender it always reaches this point for most fans. We've been watching Lebron battle Golden State for the last 4 years. Golden state will be there in the end, but there will be an entirely new representative for the East this year. That's pretty interesting.

Golden state is going to take it more than likely but Giannis is a pretty cool dude and actually has a legit chance of making it to the finals for Milwaukee for the first time probably since they had Kareem. There is also going to be a lot of salt between Boston, Philly, Toronto, and Milwaukee. That alone should make things fun.

So I guess I'm the only one who does not match another NBA game until the next season starts? I could root for other teams in the postsesaon in 2010 because I knew the Thunder would be back and all, but now...I just can't bring myself to root for whatever squad when we're already done because of our own ignorance and incompetence.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#14 » by Pillendreher » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:23 pm

Old Man Game wrote:The new nba shoot only 3s and layups wouldn't be so boring if our team were actually good at it. In rare nights the shots fall it's incredibly exciting.

Sent from my Pixel using RealGM mobile app

I think some sort of course correction is necessary. All this volume chucking from long distance introcudes too much volatility. And furthermore, it's become too easy to overcome bad defense if you can just win a shootout.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,487

Post#15 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:51 pm

Pillendreher wrote:So I guess I'm the only one who does not match another NBA game until the next season starts? I could root for other teams in the postsesaon in 2010 because I knew the Thunder would be back and all, but now...I just can't bring myself to root for whatever squad when we're already done because of our own ignorance and incompetence.

I probably won't watch any. I might watch a game or two if something seems interesting, but not in much of a rooting capacity. Give me a Denver/GS game 7 and I'll watch and root for Denver. Maybe if a team from the East can win 3 in the Finals I'll tune in to root for them to finish off GS.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Osirus89
Starter
And1: 2,016

Post#16 » by Osirus89 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:00 pm

Sinobas wrote:I don't blame you. It's hard to cheer for a team that is full of jerks and can't get out of the first round (been there with the jailblazer era). RW seems like a sociopath. Paul George...I felt bad for him after he broke his leg, but after what I witnessed in this series, I wouldn't care if he shattered his leg again.

Just going to report this and not make a snarky comment that derails the thread. Goodbye
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,487

Post#17 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:08 pm

SecondTake wrote:The rest of the playoffs are going to be super tough to watch. GSW vs HOU and GSW vs MIL are the only series I'm probably going to watch. Without OKC out there though the excitement is gone.

From a basketball standpoint with OKC out the is excitement in every series. OKC is one of the worst teams to watch in the NBA. The defensive "scheme" is painful to watch. The offense is ugly, clumsy and pathetic. Russ puts on a show, but that show is largely entertaining because of how ugly it is to watch. A player is getting a triple double while playing the worst version of basketball possible from a team winning standpoint. You watching a glorious train wreck.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
SecondTake
Veteran

Post#18 » by SecondTake » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:55 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
SecondTake wrote:The rest of the playoffs are going to be super tough to watch. GSW vs HOU and GSW vs MIL are the only series I'm probably going to watch. Without OKC out there though the excitement is gone.

From a basketball standpoint with OKC out the is excitement in every series. OKC is one of the worst teams to watch in the NBA. The defensive "scheme" is painful to watch. The offense is ugly, clumsy and pathetic. Russ puts on a show, but that show is largely entertaining because of how ugly it is to watch. A player is getting a triple double while playing the worst version of basketball possible from a team winning standpoint. You watching a glorious train wreck.

I'm not saying that there aren't better teams. But I'm not invested in any of them. I don't spend fourth quarters fighting heart attacks when it goes to the wire, I don't yell if a team starts throwing it away or cheer if another wins. I'll watch for the good basketball, but I won't be emotionally invested which takes a lot of the fun out of it. With the thunder every 48 minute game is like a cardio workout for my heart. That's why I like to pair their games with some weight lifting to blow off steam during timeouts. With everyone else? It's just good basketball to watch, but I'm not "in it"
SecondTake
Veteran

Post#19 » by SecondTake » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:02 pm

MrPerfect1 wrote:Why don't you like watching Giannis?

-He plays with a High Degree of Skill
-Plays with Passion at both ends of the floor
-Has a very high BB IQ. Almost always makes the right play
-Is a Great Passer
-Has a few unbelievable highlights each game

I don't know man. Why don't some people like vanilla ice cream? It's smooth, it's sweet, it's succulent when it melts in your mouth.

There's watching random basketball to watch a good game. Then there's being a fan and cheering for a specific team to play a good game - whether or not they do.

But if GSW make the finals I'll be watching and rooting for whoever the heck is our last hope for knocking KD out.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#20 » by Sinobas » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:39 pm

Osirus89 wrote:
Sinobas wrote:I don't blame you. It's hard to cheer for a team that is full of jerks and can't get out of the first round (been there with the jailblazer era). RW seems like a sociopath. Paul George...I felt bad for him after he broke his leg, but after what I witnessed in this series, I wouldn't care if he shattered his leg again.

Just going to report this and not make a snarky comment that derails the thread. Goodbye

Report me for what? I'm just trying to sympathize with the original poster. I've been through a similar situation as a Blazer fan, where the team simply becomes unlikeable.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder