ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Playoffs Rd 1 Game 5: Nets @ Sixers 8:00pm

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: NBA Playoffs Rd 1 Game 5: Nets @ Sixers 8:00pm 

Post#221 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:38 am

MrDollarBills wrote:I don't think one of the takeaways from this is that we do not need size. We got absolutely mauled.

Now, did Ed Davis going down have something to do with that? Yes. But I still believe we need to invest in the frontcourt this offseason.

we need allen and kurucs to bulk up. id be shoked if we signed a big thats over 6/8" or so unless its to replace ed davis
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#222 » by MGrand15 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:54 am

MrDollarBills wrote:I don't think one of the takeaways from this is that we do not need size. We got absolutely mauled.

Now, did Ed Davis going down have something to do with that? Yes. But I still believe we need to invest in the frontcourt this offseason.

Yeah the front office would be insane to not look to add more size. We don't have to completely ditch our identity but letting bigs consistently and effortlessly go for 30 and 15 just isn't a winning formula. We can't properly run our defense when we're turning iso postups into easy layups.

At that point, you throw regular analytics out the window. An average post up is inefficient offense but that's only if you're giving up a contested hook shot or fadeaway. If we're letting that turn into an automatic bucket, it breaks our defense.

Assuming we keep Ed Davis, we need to go for a 3rd center that can hang with bigger centers. Play him based on matchups if needed but we need an option.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,827

Post#223 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:57 am

Prokorov wrote:

we need allen and kurucs to bulk up. id be shoked if we signed a big thats over 6/8" or so unless its to replace ed davis

Yeah they need to get bigger, we should expect some reasonable progress from them weight wise but they're both some ways away from hitting their grown man weight phase, so we definitely need someone that can come in and bang with bigger players.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#224 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:58 am

MGrand15 wrote:

Yeah the front office would be insane to not look to add more size. We don't have to completely ditch our identity but letting bigs consistently and effortlessly go for 30 and 15 just isn't a winning formula. We can't properly run our defense when we're turning iso postups into easy layups.

At that point, you throw regular analytics out the window. An average post up is inefficient offense but that's only if you're giving up a contested hook shot or fadeaway. If we're letting that turn into an automatic bucket, it breaks our defense.

Assuming we keep Ed Davis, we need to go for a 3rd center that can hang with bigger centers. Play him based on matchups if needed but we need an option.

agreed. The identity of the Nets is still a work in progress so there are room for tweaks and new wrinkles and if that means carrying 3 centers I'm all for it.

I don't mind sticking to analytics in terms of what the Nets want as far as shot selection goes but if we can get a stretch 4 that can put up some buckets that would take a lot of pressure off of Russell/LeVert/Dinwiddie.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#225 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:07 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Yeah they need to get bigger, we should expect some reasonable progress from them weight wise but they're both some ways away from hitting their grown man weight phase, so we definitely need someone that can come in and bang with bigger players.

have never disagreed with your more on anything. i respect you and your opinions, just think you are dead wrong. especially after this team just proved to you they dont need to go that route, with a +14 win season and 42 wins exceeding expectations with guys like dudley, graham, and kurucs manning PF
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#226 » by LOUiS-D » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:13 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Great season everyone.

Looking forward to some lively off season discussion.

I have no ill will towards the Sixers and will probably be rooting for them to make the Finals.

I too have no ill will towards the sixers.

Spoiler:
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 645

Post#227 » by NetsJets » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:15 am

I’m very proud of my guys. I pretty much knew this was gonna be a loss and the Sixers played like a team hungry and closed us out like a contender should. Kudos to them. Hopefully in 2021 we’re in their position closing out a lesser opponent at home in a game 5 or even sweeping an opponent. But for now we’re still a work in progress but we have a foundation in place we just need the right pieces.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#228 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:19 am

MGrand15 wrote:

they project allen to get bigger and stronger. thats their solution. they might draft an allen type/clone to be 3rd center or replace davis ig he isnt back. i doubt they sign someone.
Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#229 » by Aussienet3 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:05 am

Yuck!!
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#230 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:23 am

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

have never disagreed with your more on anything. i respect you and your opinions, just think you are dead wrong. especially after this team just proved to you they dont need to go that route, with a +14 win season and 42 wins exceeding expectations with guys like dudley, graham, and kurucs manning PF

That's fine, but I think for this team to take another step upward we'll definitely need to add a significant free agent at forward and also add another big that can defend. We'll see what Marks ultimately does, but I think the physical disparity between us and Philly was shown to be too much to handle.

SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#231 » by SpeedyG » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:23 am

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Depending on what happens with FA...

I expect the Sixers to stay in tact.

Milwaukee will bring back Giannis and Lopez.

Toronto's length with Siakam (who btw took that next step in the playoffs) and Kawhi plus Gasol (albeit he's getting older) and Ibaka.

Orlando's size hurt us with Vuc (who would have looked like an MVP in the playoffs against us vs the version we saw vs Gasol). And they got the length/athleticism of Isaac and Gordon.

Atlanta is going to develop into a terror soon with John Collins, who absolutely destroyed us every time we played.

Whether it is by draft or FA or internal improvement, we ABSOLUTELY need to get bigger and stronger at the 4/5 or we will get crushed again

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Post#232 » by Keith Van Horn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:12 pm

I wonder how the series would've panned out if Ed Davis was healthy and Kenny went to start him over Allen in a few games. I bet we would've got at least 1 more win...
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,471

Post#233 » by GoSixersBro » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:46 pm

FrenchNBAFan wrote:Sixers fan singing " Brooklyn sucks " after booing their team lmao

also we don't need to tank 71 years to grow up

4 seasons* :D
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#234 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:12 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:
FrenchNBAFan wrote:Sixers fan singing " Brooklyn sucks " after booing their team lmao

four years ago the Nets and Sixers were at the bottom of the eastern conference. yesterday our teams just finished a playoff series that was featured heavily on national television.

Despite the bad blood that went down, I think we can appreciate all of this and how far both franchises have come in such a short time. You guys are ahead of the curve, but we're not going away, you can believe that.

GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,471

Post#235 » by GoSixersBro » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:35 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:

four years ago the Nets and Sixers were at the bottom of the eastern conference. yesterday our teams just finished a playoff series that was featured heavily on national television.

Despite the bad blood that went down, I think we can appreciate all of this and how far both franchises have come in such a short time. You guys are ahead of the curve, but we're not going away, you can believe that.

Okay, that's good and all. Just doing my duty to educate when fans of other teams and Michael Wilbon blatantly lie about how long the tank or the process took.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#236 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:35 pm

SpeedyG wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Toronto's length with Siakam (who btw took that next step in the playoffs) and Kawhi plus Gasol (albeit he's getting older) and Ibaka.

Orlando's size hurt us with Vuc (who would have looked like an MVP in the playoffs against us vs the version we saw vs Gasol). And they got the length/athleticism of Isaac and Gordon.

Atlanta is going to develop into a terror soon with John Collins, who absolutely destroyed us every time we played.

Whether it is by draft or FA or internal improvement, we ABSOLUTELY need to get bigger and stronger at the 4/5 or we will get crushed again

Marks/Kenny are fine with that and waiting until allen/kurucs get bigger or a young rookie we draft this year gets bigger. we are WAY ahead of schedule in their minds with 0 urgency. marks say on joe and even they are sitll 3 years away in their rebuild.

we wont add size, we likely get smaller if anything
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#237 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:38 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:

Okay, that's good and all. Just doing my duty to educate when fans of other teams and Michael Wilbon blatantly lie about how long the tank or the process took.

I was trying to be civil, but you can carry on being a dick about it I suppose. You do a good job maintaining the rep that precedes the fans of Philadelphia sports.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#238 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:39 pm

Prokorov wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Marks/Kenny are fine with that and waiting until allen/kurucs get bigger or a young rookie we draft this year gets bigger. we are WAY ahead of schedule in their minds with 0 urgency. marks say on joe and even they are sitll 3 years away in their rebuild.

I will bet you right now, avatar or sig bet, that we get some size infusion :nod: lets get some action going for the summer.

SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#239 » by SpeedyG » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:43 pm

Prokorov wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

That's fine but you can't stay with the same expectations. They may have thought we were ahead of schedule and didn't expect us to be in playoffs until 2 years from now but here we are...

The bill are coming due in the form of Russell's deal this off season and Caris next.

We can't come back next season and win 42 games, have same negatives and be like "well...thats fine, were still ahead 1 year"

No, we're ahead of projection this season.

This is like the Wolves. They made the playoffs last season, lock up their core.

And this season, they were a relative mess in a tough west.

Yet, universally their season is viewed as a disappointment.

This team can't step back next season and it be viewed as natural progression simply because two years ago they thought we were three years away.

Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#240 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:07 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:Depending on what happens with FA...

I will bet you right now, avatar or sig bet, that we get some size infusion :nod: lets get some action going for the summer.

I'm in with these parameters:

We will not bring in anyone over 6'8" or 6'9" unless it is a rookie we draft at 27 or later.
We will not bring in a player over 6'9" unless its a minimum salary player to replace ed davis who we cant retain for cap purposes
We will not bring in a player over 6'8" unless it is someone who plays less then 100 minute son the year racking up DNPs (Like faried)

in other words, same as last offseason/season

Return to Brooklyn Nets