ImageImageImageImageImage

Luke Walton to be hired as Sacramento's new head coach

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,232

Re: Luke Walton to be hired as Sacramento's new head coach 

Post#41 » by blind prophet » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:49 pm

I'm curious what odds you guys give this civil suit to be resolved before the season starts?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#42 » by City of Trees » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:05 pm

BoogieTime wrote:There is a good piece on SactownRoyalty about the Kings should be looking to dismiss him, as the case looks to hang over the franchise either way
Firing someone with no priors based on an accusation sounds like SactownRoyalty stuff.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,431

Post#43 » by codydaze » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:28 pm

This is just a tricky situation all the way around. The best thing to do is just let this play out and wait to see what comes of it. You don't want to make any kind of reactionary move either way, I think the organization is handling it well. They are supporting Luke while also acknowledging they are willing to part ways if he's found guilty.

I don't think this reflects poorly on the organization, it was reported pretty much immediately that the Warriors didn't know about this when it happened while he was an assistant there and the Lakers didn't either. Just have to let this play out and see what comes of it. If we do end up parting ways, I don't think the job is any less desirable than it was before Luke was hired.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#44 » by City of Trees » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:42 pm

codydaze wrote:This is just a tricky situation all the way around. The best thing to do is just let this play out and wait to see what comes of it. You don't want to make any kind of reactionary move either way, I think the organization is handling it well. They are supporting Luke while also acknowledging they are willing to part ways if he's found guilty.

I don't think this reflects poorly on the organization, it was reported pretty much immediately that the Warriors didn't know about this when it happened while he was an assistant there and the Lakers didn't either. Just have to let this play out and see what comes of it. If we do end up parting ways, I don't think the job is any less desirable than it was before Luke was hired.
100% agree.

The Kings have positioned themselves to make a clean break anytime they want.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#45 » by BoogieTime » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:05 pm

Also factoring in, if they can’t void his contract, this ownership group isn’t known as having deep pockets. That is still 20+ down the drain
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#46 » by City of Trees » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:31 pm

Didn't Sam Amick say the Kings have an out written in Walton's contract? I'm pretty sure I heard it on ESPN 1320
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#47 » by City of Trees » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:38 pm

4 to 5 years? If that's the case it's time to move on once the NBA investigation ends. At best Walton is damaged goods.

Read on Twitter
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,847

Post#48 » by dckingsfan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:43 pm

I think Walton gets off with no penalty unless some other women step forward. Then the #metoo will make sure something is done.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#49 » by BoogieTime » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:44 pm

Kings/NBA joint investigation. Problem is, the grade A replacements could be snatched up with the multitude of teams without coaches
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#50 » by sacking123 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:01 pm

BoogieTime wrote:Kings/NBA joint investigation. Problem is, the grade A replacements could be snatched up with the multitude of teams without coaches

They sure will be. Looks like Hornacek might luck into another gig if he gets the assistant role.

For the time being though Luke’s the coach and they should be planning like he’s going to be for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#51 » by bleeds_purple » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:32 pm

simonbampfield wrote:
bleeds_purple wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:If it does become a settlement out of court or something of that nature, then he should absolutely be dismissed.

Something like 95-99% of civil lawsuits end in settlement. The expectation from the judge when any case is filed is that it will be settled.

Absolutely. And I think everyone would have said this is exactly how this was going to end.
However Luke's lawyer is directly quoted as saying
“These claims are false and Luke’s innocence will be proven in court. Yesterday’s press conference was a poorly staged attempt to portray the accuser as a viable spokesperson for an important movement. Her lawyers want to create a public circus to distract from their complete lack of evidence to support their outrageous claims. We will not try this case in the media or pay them a dime.”

If Luke settles this, there is no doubt about it, he is guilty, this isn't a case of, well it's just easier for it to go away, Baute has put an end to that.

Do you really think he's going to hold a press conference saying anything else? Obviously you are not going to publicize your litigation strategy. And obviously you are not going to publically state this claim has any merit or that you are willing to pay anything. The lawyer's goal is to settle for the minimum possible (well, other than racking up fees along the way :lol:).

Every single case starts with the defense attorney saying "your client's claims have absolutely no merit, your client is a liar, and you should dismiss the case."
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,431

Post#52 » by codydaze » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:34 pm

simonbampfield wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Kings/NBA joint investigation. Problem is, the grade A replacements could be snatched up with the multitude of teams without coaches

They sure will be. Looks like Hornacek might luck into another gig if he gets the assistant role.

For the time being though Luke’s the coach and they should be planning like he’s going to be for a long time.

FWIW, Hornaceck actually did a decent job in Phoenix until they butchered his roster. They won 48 games starting Miles Plumlee at center. The NY situation wasn't any better with the Rose/Noah/Melo "super team". When he had those guard oriented, fast paced teams he was much better and he'd probably do well with our roster.

Obviously that's not taking into account the personality issues he seems to have which would be the bigger issue though.
bleeds_purple
Analyst

Post#53 » by bleeds_purple » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:35 pm

blind prophet wrote:I'm curious what odds you guys give this civil suit to be resolved before the season starts?

If this was filed in Stanley Mosk it will take years and years. That place is a circus.

Edit:

My curiosity got the best of me and I decided to look up the case. The case number is 19STCV14022. You can look it up here: http://www.lacourt.org/casesummary/ui/index.aspx?casetype=civil

Of interesting note is the fact that they have a non-jury trial set for October 2020. Its not in Stanley Mosk which is the worst in terms of delays but Spring Street isn't much better.
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by sacking123 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:58 am

bleeds_purple wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:
bleeds_purple wrote:
Something like 95-99% of civil lawsuits end in settlement. The expectation from the judge when any case is filed is that it will be settled.

Absolutely. And I think everyone would have said this is exactly how this was going to end.
However Luke's lawyer is directly quoted as saying
“These claims are false and Luke’s innocence will be proven in court. Yesterday’s press conference was a poorly staged attempt to portray the accuser as a viable spokesperson for an important movement. Her lawyers want to create a public circus to distract from their complete lack of evidence to support their outrageous claims. We will not try this case in the media or pay them a dime.”

If Luke settles this, there is no doubt about it, he is guilty, this isn't a case of, well it's just easier for it to go away, Baute has put an end to that.

Do you really think he's going to hold a press conference saying anything else? Obviously you are not going to publicize your litigation strategy. And obviously you are not going to publically state this claim has any merit or that you are willing to pay anything. The lawyer's goal is to settle for the minimum possible (well, other than racking up fees along the way :lol:).

Every single case starts with the defense attorney saying "your client's claims have absolutely no merit, your client is a liar, and you should dismiss the case."

Baute didn't hold a press conference. He sent out a media release. No they shouldn't publicize ANYTHING other than the obligitory Luke's innocence. "Luke is a caring husband and father and these accusations have come as a complete shock to him and his family. We look forward to having our day in court to clear Luke's name."
Instead Baute went out of his way to announce that Luke's innocence will be proven in court.

What I'm saying only has to do with if Luke wants to remain the Kings' coach. IMO he needs prove his innocence. As I said, rightly or wrongly.

I don't buy that settling this out of court doesn't mean he's guilty or not guilty. If you're innocent and again, his lawyer says they have proof, then not only take it all the way and prove it, but bring about a counter claim. If it comes out they really don't have proof then the Kings can't keep him on as coach.

Initially I thought Baute may have been trying to buy some time for Luke, knowing it would take a number of years, however the NBA and the Kings will be asking Baute about this evidence in their own investigation so we could get a good handle on it either way.

Again, I'm coming from the angle of Luke as the Kings' coach. IMO there is no way he can settle this out of court and continue on. The Kings will go from this absolutely having nothing to do with them to taking the absolute brunt of the PR hit that the Warriors and/or Lakers would have been taking and essentially undoing all of the great work that has been done over the last couple of years.

In terms of the investigation I wonder if the NBA will be able to get their hands on text messages, emails from that far back like they did with the Lakers tampering investigation given their roles at the time. Not sure how far back this sort of thing can be kept or whether it's there somewhere for life.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#55 » by enderwilson » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:14 am

codydaze wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:

FWIW, Hornaceck actually did a decent job in Phoenix until they butchered his roster. They won 48 games starting Miles Plumlee at center. The NY situation wasn't any better with the Rose/Noah/Melo "super team". When he had those guard oriented, fast paced teams he was much better and he'd probably do well with our roster.

Obviously that's not taking into account the personality issues he seems to have which would be the bigger issue though.

My feelings exactly...
...minus the personality issues which I'm not familiar with. Hopefully he's been able to use the last year off to reflect on his success and failures in order to become a better coach.
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#56 » by becorz » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:19 am

City of Trees wrote:Didn't Sam Amick say the Kings have an out written in Walton's contract? I'm pretty sure I heard it on ESPN 1320

You certainly could of heard something about this, but Amick was on the NBC Sports California Kings podcast, recorded on Wednesday, and on that podcast he said he didn't know if a clause like that was in the contract. He then said he would be surprised if it wasn't, but you never know.
bleeds_purple
Analyst

Post#57 » by bleeds_purple » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:13 pm

simonbampfield wrote:What I'm saying only has to do with if Luke wants to remain the Kings' coach. IMO he needs prove his innocence. As I said, rightly or wrongly.

I strongly disagree. I think the court case should basically be ignored by the team and league. They should do their own investigation come to their own conclusions and act accordingly.
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#58 » by sacking123 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:58 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:What I'm saying only has to do with if Luke wants to remain the Kings' coach. IMO he needs prove his innocence. As I said, rightly or wrongly.

I strongly disagree. I think the court case should basically be ignored by the team and league. They should do their own investigation come to their own conclusions and act accordingly.

That's included in what I said. The NBA/Kings will be asking Baute what this proof is. If the NBA/Kings believe that's enough that he is innocent of the allegations, then yes he will stay on. If they don't bring evidence IMO he won't survive as the Kings' coach. You can't build and base a team and franchise around good character and being a good person and then turn around and sign a coach that flies in the face of that. It's not going to be a good look and will be a stain on the Kings organisation.
I think Vlade will be fine with just paying her out and keeping Luke FWIW, I'm just saying it's not the right thing to do.

Isn't it funny that if Vlade had waited a little longer and interviewed more candidates and took his time, the Kings wouldn't be in this mess. Not going to knock Vlade for going with his guy as I think it's one of his strengths.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,847

Post#59 » by dckingsfan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:41 pm

simonbampfield wrote:
bleeds_purple wrote:

That's included in what I said. The NBA/Kings will be asking Baute what this proof is. If the NBA/Kings believe that's enough that he is innocent of the allegations, then yes he will stay on. If they don't bring evidence IMO he won't survive as the Kings' coach. You can't build and base a team and franchise around good character and being a good person and then turn around and sign a coach that flies in the face of that. It's not going to be a good look and will be a stain on the Kings organisation.
I think Vlade will be fine with just paying her out and keeping Luke FWIW, I'm just saying it's not the right thing to do.

Isn't it funny that if Vlade had waited a little longer and interviewed more candidates and took his time, the Kings wouldn't be in this mess. Not going to knock Vlade for going with his guy as I think it's one of his strengths.

I think there is another option here for the Kings. They wait and see if any more allegations pop up.

If it is just one - then the proof has to come from the one that brings the suit in legal terms. In the court of public opinion - if it is just he said/she said - I don't think anything changes. Clearly this isn't good for the Kings - it's no man's land.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#60 » by BoogieTime » Wed May 1, 2019 6:03 am

At least Messina could still be there if at the end of this joint Kings/NBA Luke is let go. I don’t think any other team has seriously reached out. Shocked at some of these candidates out here. Monty Williams? After his lovely first stint?

Joerger getting no play. The guys over at Sacrownroyalty thought he was a hot commodity. It will be a minute for him. I didn’t want him fired, but his name is a bit tainted from being unceremoniously dropped

Return to Sacramento Kings