ImageImageImageImageImage

2018-19 Rookies (Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Landry Shamet & Jerome Robinson)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Shai Ain't No Zo 

Post#281 » by Ranma » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:09 am

I disagree with the notion that Shai has a higher ceiling than Lonzo because of the latter's athleticism and court vision. However, I will say that Shai has the higher floor and is more likely to reach his potential. SGA is the safer bet as a reliable option and still has plenty of upside in his game, which definitely makes him the more valuable proposition if choosing between the two.

Read on Twitter

Adam Caparell, Complex.com (4/22/19)
“Before he even stepped into training camp I watched film of him with my best friends,” Clippers guard Patrick Beverly said after Game 4. “This kid is going to be special. You see the grind throughout the year and he embraces it. He loves the grind. Whether it’s up or down, coaches, they on him like they’re supposed to be. He never folds.”

Getting an endorsement like that from one of the NBA’s all time grinders is great, but the Canadian showed NBA observers plenty of glimpses of future greatness throughout a quietly impressive campaign. Only scratching the surface of how complete a player he can be, SGA probably exceeded outside expectations of how impactful he would be in his first year, even though Clippers coach Doc Rivers thought the kid had star written all over him before the season started. Gifted offensively, with incredible length, he came into the league with a rep of being an incredibly hard worker and finished ninth in rookie scoring, playing in all 82 games, 73 of which he started.

There are plenty of reasons why the Clippers will be among the most attractive destinations for high-level free agents. Los Angeles, as a city and place to live, sells itself. Rivers is widely revered. The organization has invested in every level of player development. They're hoping to open their own arena in a handful of years. And the Clippers are the exact opposite of the dysfunctional Lakers right now and don't have a 35-year-old superstar in LeBron James who will always be catered to first and foremost. Make sure you have the young and talented roster, with Gilgeous-Alexander high at the top of that list, as another big reason why free agents will be crushing on the Clippers come July. Because who wouldn't want to partner with the best young point guard in LA on the verge of blowing up?

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander Is a Big Reason Why Free Agents Will Be Crushing on the Clippers
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Rome's Resiliency 

Post#282 » by Ranma » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:23 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Mirjam Swanson, Orange County Register (4/23/19)
Robinson, meanwhile, kept working in the background. Hindered early on by a strained muscle in his foot, which he described in January as such “an awkward and weird injury” that doctors wanted him to take his time letting it heal.

But by all indications, Robinson maintained focus and kept working: “I think the biggest thing is playing your game and not forcing anything. Staying positive. Some nights you’re going to get one shot, some nights you might get six, seven, eight shots,” he said in January. “So it’s just staying with it and knowing that when things come your way, you just play.”

“He’s gone through all the things he needs to go through to become that. He went down to the G League, played well, played hard. He works hard here. He puts in work in the game, learning the system, learning the difference between college and the pros. I couldn’t be happier with him.”

Jerome Robinson’s Resilience Impresses Clippers
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: Rome's Resiliency 

Post#283 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:42 pm

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Mirjam Swanson, Orange County Register (4/23/19)
Robinson, meanwhile, kept working in the background. Hindered early on by a strained muscle in his foot, which he described in January as such “an awkward and weird injury” that doctors wanted him to take his time letting it heal.

But by all indications, Robinson maintained focus and kept working: “I think the biggest thing is playing your game and not forcing anything. Staying positive. Some nights you’re going to get one shot, some nights you might get six, seven, eight shots,” he said in January. “So it’s just staying with it and knowing that when things come your way, you just play.”

“He’s gone through all the things he needs to go through to become that. He went down to the G League, played well, played hard. He works hard here. He puts in work in the game, learning the system, learning the difference between college and the pros. I couldn’t be happier with him.”

Jerome Robinson’s Resilience Impresses Clippers

Glad people recognize the talent, skill, and work ethic.

I wonder what he’d look like if he was drafted to Philly (read: a franchise that didn’t use redundant talent as an excuse not to play a rookie) and “learn” from Redick.

We have an issue and competition at the 2 spot as far as I’m concerned going into next season...with Sham, of course, being in the lead at this point.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,035

Re: The Clippers select Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Jerome Robinson 

Post#284 » by JazzUte88 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:06 am

I've seen both Ball & SGA (on Sunday) play live this year. I think SGA has the better chance to be the better overall player, but Ball has more potential that I think he probably won't live up to.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,196

Post#285 » by Clemenza » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:43 am

UtahJazzFan88 wrote:I've seen both Ball & SGA (on Sunday) play live this year. I think SGA has the better chance to be the better overall player, but Ball has more potential that I think he probably won't live up to.

I think Ball needs to be on a different team to reach his full potential. The Lakers aren't developing anybody these days
poultryfan
Senior
And1: 875

Post#286 » by poultryfan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:28 pm

UtahJazzFan88 wrote:I've seen both Ball & SGA (on Sunday) play live this year. I think SGA has the better chance to be the better overall player, but Ball has more potential that I think he probably won't live up to.

I've pretty much flipped my opinion on both. I thought Lonzo would end up as a Kidd like player but he has below average burst, his handles are too loose, and nobody respects his shot so he can't really attack the rim consistently. He's still young and can improve but I think his ceiling is much lower than I had originally projected. Great floor IQ and an elite defender though.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#287 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:07 pm

Clemenza wrote:

I think Ball needs to be on a different team to reach his full potential. The Lakers aren't developing anybody these days

A guy like Luke Walton was never going to cultivate the talent out of him or an Ingram.

He has a ton of “vets” around him that play hard/ that he can learn from.

Means nothing when you have chicken **** for coaching/ schemes/ etc. etc.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#288 » by Vae Victus » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:24 pm

If Lonzo and SEGA switched places i wouldnt be suprised one bit if Lonzo's game grew and SEGA becomes stagnant.

Team developmental staff is so goddamn important.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,196

Post#289 » by Clemenza » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:31 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Clemenza wrote:

A guy like Luke Walton was never going to cultivate the talent out of him or an Ingram.

He has a ton of “vets” around him that play hard/ that he can learn from.

Means nothing when you have chicken **** for coaching/ schemes/ etc. etc.

Plus LeBron dribbling the air out of the ball every position aka "Bron ball" doesn't help the kids at all. The only players who benefit playing with Bron is spot up shooters.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#290 » by mttwlsn16 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:31 am

Vae Victus wrote:If Lonzo and SEGA switched places i wouldnt be suprised one bit if Lonzo's game grew and SEGA becomes stagnant.

Team developmental staff is so goddamn important.
What's the E for? Never heard of him as SEGA.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Ranma
RealGM

"E" in "SEGA" 

Post#291 » by Ranma » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:42 am

mttwlsn16 wrote:What's the E for? Never heard of him as SEGA.

It's just filler to spell out something similar to a vanity license plate like "LVMACHN". I've actually read and heard a few people refer to Shai as "SEGA", but it's usually in this forum and on the radio during play-by-play of a Clippers game.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#292 » by QRich3 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:43 am

I hate the SEGA thing, feels so forced to me. Hope it never catches on.
Ranma
RealGM

Shai + Shams = Shazam! 

Post#293 » by Ranma » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:59 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#294 » by wco81 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:25 am

Got to watch a lot of SGA for the first time in this series.

He shot with very good efficiency during the season and improved it in his first playoff series. It's a great credit to him and the coaching staff that his shot selection is very good. He'll shoot mostly when he's got a lot of separation or has had a chance to set his feet.

He's only 20 and this is his rookie year so there's still a lot of room for improvement over an impressive rookie campaign. But there are some questions about how his game will scale, as he gets more FGAs. As a rookie, he's on a bit of a leash, with a lot of good vets on the team, making him 3rd or 4th scoring option in many instances.

In particular he looks for favorable matchups, trying to take smaller guards into the paint, pushing off with one hand and shooting from that separation. It's smart that he's able to push off most of the times without getting called for it. Again, a lot of it may be coaching, having him only take real good looks. The push off with the off arm didn't work against bigger defenders, Klay or bigger.

I'm sure the Clippers want to see him diversify his game more, looking to post up guards -- he's got good length and looks like great wingspan. He's got a lot of room to increase his strength and optimize his athleticism. A lot of the times when he goes to the rim, he's pulling crafty moves with the ball fakes and such. With his size, he should be able to finish over people and also create separation using his dribble against larger defenders.

His game currently is similar to Jarret Jack and Livingston earlier in his career. They both go after smaller guards and work themselves into the lane to do it. But he can do a lot more than that if he gets stronger and optimizes his explosiveness.

In normal progression, you'd expect a player who played well as a rookie to get more touches as his career progresses. But Clippers have a lot of mouths to feed as far as who gets a lot of touches.

Especially if they land one or two big fish in free agency this summer.

But next season or two, vets like Gallinari and Williams may not be on the team so SGA should get more touches as his career progresses. He'll try to diversify his game more, such as midrange pullups if the Clippers have the paint occupied by a low-post scoring threat.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#295 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:36 pm

I want Shamet to take the next step next year.

Kid was a PG in college and did way more off the bounce in college than he does now. He’s more than just running off pin downs.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#296 » by TheNewEra » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:16 pm

So proud of all three rookies. Don’t think SGA will get the credit but I don’t see this season being what it was if we had to stick with Beverly and Bradley all year
Ranma
RealGM

Shamet Talks Topics 

Post#297 » by Ranma » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:42 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#298 » by mkwest » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:49 pm

Read on Twitter
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#299 » by wco81 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:37 am

Bridges is an interesting place.

Big time finisher so could end up being a high level 3 and D wing.

But I guess Charlotte and the Clippers could both use a PG more.
Ranma
RealGM

Coaches Respectively on Shai and Shams 

Post#300 » by Ranma » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:43 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers