not to blame for current circumstances but must prove herself this summer
25%

Total votes: 64

TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Re: Questioning Jeanie’s ability to be the owner the Lakers need 

Post#21 » by TylersLakers » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:54 am

She's not qualified unless she goes outside the organization and brings in Bob Meyers, Masai Ujiri or someone of that nature.. which I have hope they'll do. If she doesn't and it's some sort of combination of Kurt Rambis and Rob Pelinka, a different Buss sibling needs to step up and organize a sale or kick her in the ass enough for her to make changes.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,504

Post#22 » by zimpy27 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:21 am

Slava wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's all well and good but if you're only going to bother looking in your saved phone contacts then the search net isn't exactly broad.

She's only limited by who she can find, maybe she's just terrible at finding people.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#23 » by Slava » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:27 am

Yeah it is kind of scary what her interpretation of best people is.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#24 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:39 pm

Cafu wrote:I think she is more than qualified, all those years working in the organization, showed Jimmy the door that made her a lioness, not an naive owner, respected around the league... BUT qualified and still doing a bad job is 100% possible.

People talking about her didn’t come to Jerry West when he was available but if my memory is right, West was available soon after she gave Magic the key to the franchise and you don’t bring another cook to the kitchen at that time.

Hiring Maginka was an unqualified disaster and unfortunately revealed her worst tendencies and weaknesses. I believe the general consensus she is a smart person overall and qualified to run the business side, but apparently not the basketball side. And if she doesn't now bring in an experienced front office executive to help right the ship, it shows she didn't learn from it. That's a big problem.

I don't know about the timing, but Jerry West was basically the best of all possible worlds solution for Jeannie. An ex-Laker great with a long history of front office success who wants to come back to the franchise, honestly how do you improve on that? Even if Magic had already been hired, Jeannie should have brought him in as a consultant, just as he is now with the Clippers. And if things were looking good in a couple of years, yes then Jerry retires and Magic is the man. But look at how fast Magic bailed, in retrospect him and Jeannie were way in over their heads on this.

There were recent reports that Jerry was never gonna be brought back in though due to bad blood between him and Jeannie.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#25 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:47 pm

Kilroy wrote:There's really no need to look completely outside of the Lakers past for the new Leadership... There's a lot of well qualified past Lakers that could take this to the promised land...

So I think that concept is a little troll/hater-ish...

The problem is that Jeannie hasn't shown any sign she has any idea what to look for in a new President... Magic was the easy/safe bet because on top of superficially seeming qualified and being a fan favorite, he immediately took the pressure off of her because she wouldn't have to lead with him on the team...

So now, it's put-up or shut-up time...

She has every right to own the team at the moment, but if she makes a bad choice with the FO, that could change in a couple months...

She either needs to pick the right guy, or start being a much more vocal owner from an on the court perspective...

Hire whoever, but then be on their ass all season in the press, stating expectations etc... Show you know and give a **** basically.

You're right, it's not that she specifically HAS to go outside. But her problem is that apparently she specifically HAS to go inside, and really whiffed on her picks.

People are mainly suggesting outsiders because those are some obvious great candidates, and because its the Lakers we presume they will listen to an offer.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#26 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:51 pm

Cafu wrote:I think she is more than qualified, all those years working in the organization, showed Jimmy the door that made her a lioness, not an naive owner, respected around the league... BUT qualified and still doing a bad job is 100% possible.

People talking about her didn’t come to Jerry West when he was available but if my memory is right, West was available soon after she gave Magic the key to the franchise and you don’t bring another cook to the kitchen at that time.

I feel she is somewhat blamed unfairly because she is a woman ( I don’t want to get there but it is my feeling).
Her biggest mistake until now is trusting Magic but heck, I think more than half of us thought that was a good idea.
Bring fresh and charming images for the franchise after being not even get a meeting with the FA of being laughed at after the meeting.
Who Could not imagine that after the LeBron signing it went downhill fast.

But after all I agree that this is the time for her to prove doubters wrong, the fans will not tolerate another mistake and the media will jump on her at the very first chance.

A lot of people did, after seeing the other moves they started making (I'm not claiming to be one of them.) But by All-Star break the cracks really started to show.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,632

Post#27 » by Pointgod » Thu May 2, 2019 12:36 pm

Jeanie is 1000 times better than Jim Buss
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#28 » by myersia » Thu May 2, 2019 3:12 pm

I believe in Jeanie

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,633

Post#29 » by danfantastk32 » Thu May 2, 2019 5:02 pm

Well, I for one think the conversation is a waste of time. She's not selling the team. The family is not selling the team.

I think she's great at the side of the business she's generally been doing. She aughta stick to that, and get someone else to run the team. Guess what? That's exactly what she's trying to do! So we're all good on that account.

The team was constructed fairly bad....but there was never any pretense that it was anything but waiting till the next year. But for some injuries....the entire narrative in Laker land is very different. The narrative WAS very different in Dec. We were talking potential top-4 spot....could we knock off one of the 3 / 4 seeds. With a 'rental' roster.

Jeanie needs to find a good President/GM. It's what she wants to do. It's not like she insists on running basketball operations despite ineptitude. Being "owner" of the Lakers is easy.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,466

Post#30 » by dockingsched » Thu May 2, 2019 5:08 pm

I don’t know why people think she’s “great” at the business side. Not saying she’s not, just that she gets credit for it without any real reason. Lakers business success is basically guaranteed no matter who runs the operation.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#31 » by Kilroy » Thu May 2, 2019 5:16 pm

myersia wrote:I believe in Jeanie
Pointgod wrote:Jeanie is 1000 times better than Jim Buss

Because Tits...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#32 » by danfantastk32 » Thu May 2, 2019 6:15 pm

dockingsched wrote:I don’t know why people think she’s “great” at the business side. Not saying she’s not, just that she gets credit for it without any real reason. Lakers business success is basically guaranteed no matter who runs the operation.

She has (maybe had - at this point) the largest TV contract. Had highest revenues as a team, etc. The back end of the Lakers had been great, they sell out for years...get top $$ for seats, do lots of promotional stuff, events, alot of charity work. She's liked throughout the league, and respected.

Pick whatever word you wanna use....and while it may be "shooting fish in a bucket" in your eyes.....she's been doing it perfectly well. Not much better you can do than #1.

That's why I think she's great at the business side.
machine18
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#33 » by machine18 » Thu May 2, 2019 7:06 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
dockingsched wrote:I don’t know why people think she’s “great” at the business side. Not saying she’s not, just that she gets credit for it without any real reason. Lakers business success is basically guaranteed no matter who runs the operation.

She has (maybe had - at this point) the largest TV contract. Had highest revenues as a team, etc. The back end of the Lakers had been great, they sell out for years...get top $$ for seats, do lots of promotional stuff, events, alot of charity work. She's liked throughout the league, and respected.

Pick whatever word you wanna use....and while it may be "shooting fish in a bucket" in your eyes.....she's been doing it perfectly well. Not much better you can do than #1.

That's why I think she's great at the business side.

This all seems like it would run itself essentially. Is it really her negotiating skills that produced a substantial tv contract? Is it her marketing work that is the cause of selling out seats? You can claim yes, and I would easily claim no and I suppose we wouldn't be able to completely disprove each other.
But what we do have to go off of is how situations like the hunt for a new POBO is being handled. By the fact that we are targeting a coach first before addressing it tells me it is not being handled well. Having to see Linda/Kurt Rambis attached to every Laker decision instills in me a lack of confidence that she has any idea at all what she is doing on the business side.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#34 » by danfantastk32 » Thu May 2, 2019 10:16 pm

machine18 wrote: This all seems like it would run itself essentially. Is it really her negotiating skills that produced a substantial tv contract? Is it her marketing work that is the cause of selling out seats? You can claim yes, and I would easily claim no and I suppose we wouldn't be able to completely disprove each other.

Donald Sterling says hi.
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Questioning Jeanie’s ability to be the owner the Lakers need 

Post#35 » by myersia » Thu May 2, 2019 10:27 pm

Kilroy wrote:
myersia wrote:I believe in Jeanie
Pointgod wrote:Jeanie is 1000 times better than Jim Buss

Because Tits...

Why did I laugh out loud at this post? 32 years old...god I need to mature

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,025

Post#36 » by RamonSessions7 » Fri May 3, 2019 1:02 am

danfantastk32 wrote:
machine18 wrote: This all seems like it would run itself essentially. Is it really her negotiating skills that produced a substantial tv contract? Is it her marketing work that is the cause of selling out seats? You can claim yes, and I would easily claim no and I suppose we wouldn't be able to completely disprove each other.

Donald Sterling says hi.

Sterling owned a c-level nba franchise and was a not too hidden racist. Barring that, I’d agree that we’d be getting a substantial media deal regardless because basically all large market teams do.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#37 » by Vae Victus » Sun May 5, 2019 7:51 pm

And now look at where the Clippers are now, under Ballmer.

Brought in the best talent that was available. Pounced on bringing in the Logo when the opportunity dropped in his lap and in 2 years transitioned from Lob City (that he originally inherited from Sterling) to potentially the New World Order (if they do something insane like nab both KD and Kawhi).

If the Logo pulls off his usual magic and convinces the superstar talent to come, and start dominating, all while Jeannie and whoever she hires flails around and fails to bring in help for Lebron, in about 3-4 years there's a legit chance Los Angeles will turn into a Clipper basketball town.

There will be a 10 year generational shift where the Clips had Lob City ---> 2 year retool ---> New World Order (just a pithy phrase im using as a stand in for whatever cute phrase the Clips promo dept comes up with) vs 10 years of the Lakers, Kobe tailend of career where he was decent Era (2 years) - Blockbuster Tank Masta General Era (BScott, DLo, Ingram, Lonzo drafts) - Old Man Lebron Era. If the Lakers dont sign anyone, itll literally just be Lebron being a 1 man show and we all know he aint gonna win jack by himself at his current age. Hell we're getting alot of news similar to what we heard during the tailend of the Kobe Era. No superstars wants to come in and play under Kobe/Lebron's shadow. THEY want to own the team, thus the Lakers with Lebron are unlikely to get the top end impact talent to come. Which would be an unmitigated disaster.

Things looked pretty decent at the start of the season. It was a throwaway year in that no chance to win a title, but give all the young bucks shots and PT to develop and Lebron will take a step back to preserve his body, all while coasting to a low playoff seed. Instead the complete opposite has happend (young players getting hurt with severe potential chronic injuries, Klutch Saga undermining the FO, and Lebron showing his age) AND all the additional dysfunction in the Front Office with Magic quitting out of hte blue, why would any top tier FA come join this dumpster fire.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#38 » by danfantastk32 » Tue May 7, 2019 4:20 am

RamonSessions7 wrote: Sterling owned a c-level nba franchise and was a not too hidden racist. Barring that, I’d agree that we’d be getting a substantial media deal regardless because basically all large market teams do.

Feels like you made my point. Bad owner blew it.....I guess those lucrative deals don't "just happen".
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,025

Post#39 » by RamonSessions7 » Tue May 7, 2019 2:01 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
RamonSessions7 wrote: Sterling owned a c-level nba franchise and was a not too hidden racist. Barring that, I’d agree that we’d be getting a substantial media deal regardless because basically all large market teams do.

Feels like you made my point. Bad owner blew it.....I guess those lucrative deals don't "just happen".

And I concede that Jeanie definitely did better than one of the worst owners among her contemporaries, still wouldn’t say that puts her at average. From a business standpoint, making money for the franchise is a great bar to have. If the balance sheets are your marker for good owner as a fan, then she’s got some credentials. I’ll be judging her on team success and so far, at best, results are highly inclusive since we’ve been pretty bad.
machine18
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#40 » by machine18 » Tue May 7, 2019 4:36 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:

In what world could have the Clippers demanded a Lakers level of media deal? You do realize that more goes in to it than simply your location? Popularity/fan base/franchise worth/etc plays in to why the Lakers could achieve that type of deal. It's not that impressive in my opinion when the most successful, star fueled franchise in the league's existence gets the best media deal.

But yes, for your argument's purposes, let's just label them both as 'large markets' and act as if they could both realistically vie for the same media deal and only achieve it by the skill of the front office.

Too bad Ballmer doesn't have Jeanie's moxie and negotiating prowess! He could have really gotten ahead in life if so!

Return to Los Angeles Lakers