ImageImageImageImage

Mo Bamba's future with Orlando?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Message Boar
Starter
And1: 1,599

Re: Mo Bamba's future with Orlando? 

Post#61 » by Message Boar » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:29 pm

Mo's future with Orlando is basically the same as the day he was drafted by WeHam. Maybe a slightly more pessimistic version of it since it does look like he will need time to develop further. If he'd have been a home run pick who's ready to star(t) sooner rather than later, we probably would've known by now.

I might be overly optimistic because he was the guy that I wanted given what was available to us at our pick last year, but I don't fully agree with the people who claim he looked terrible this year (yes, Birch is more beneficial for winning games now). He was often saddled with having Grant as his PG, he could've had 2 buckets a game more if he played with someone who knew how to throw a decent lob pass. I was pleasantly surprised with his shooting and how generally athletic he looked.

Assuming we're successful in keeping Vucevic, he should be the backup center again next season and learn behind Nik. Obviously he could help himself by getting stronger and more aware of where he needs to be on the court, among other things. Now the fact that he doesn't have awesome defensive instincts nor a great motor are probably things you can never fully coach out of him, but he can still be an effective player for us in the future. Should he develop to the point that he clearly should be starting by year 3 or year 4, they will probably look into trading Nik to open up that spot. In that case I hope we keep Nik in the loop and work with him to find a destination that he likes, given everything he has done for this franchise.

P.S. I have this pipe dream where Mo learns Kareem's unstoppable skyhook, that could be such a weapon for him. But there's probably a reason that no one has been able to remotely replicate it. It needs to be mentioned that Kareem's immense height/length (~7'3) is a big reason why it was so unstoppable though (other players had it in his time, but none became legends with it). But if Bamba could ever learn that with his length and smooth athleticism, it might work for him too if he can develop the necessary touch.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,908

Post#62 » by Knightro » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:35 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Right. If we are to assume that was the plan, then what does that mean when we hand Vuc a 4-5 year deal?

Value and minutes distribution matters in the nba, especially if you are a team that doesn’t land big name free agents. Anyone saying otherwise isn’t being realistic or placing necessary value on high lottery picks.

All it means is that plans can and do change when things that are really unexpectedly positive happen.

If Vucevic is actually going to be a 10 WS, 6.5 BPM guy for the next 2-4 seasons, then you just resign him and deal with the consequences of Bamba being a backup for that time frame.

Like... I really get what you're saying, but the fact that Vucevic played like a top 15 NBA player actually matters a lot in this case. It's not like Bamba is being blocked by some schlub. If Vucevic had played poorly or even played like the rest of his career, they'd have either traded him or let him walk this summer. But he didn't. He was awesome and that's a very good thing for the Magic overall.

You say the Magic wasted a lottery pick, I say the Magic got some extremely good fortune (assuming Vuc can maintain this year's production and it wasn't a fluke) have the luxury of bringing their lottery pick along at whatever speed they want or trading him away for value.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,079

Post#63 » by SOUL » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 pm

I think the stability of Vuc's play is a bigger question than Mo Bamba's future here. Bamba will get a chance until he proves he's a capable starter, or unless we get a deal we can't pass up for Bamba. Seems simple enough.

I don't think it's just easy to assume that Vuc will be the same player after a few years of decline prior to this. I hope he is, but again, that's what worries me about a longer contract. That's why I don't mind paying him a lot of money for two or so years, but not giving him the 4 years that he's looking for. The problem is that if he's looking for this to be his last big contract, he's not going to do that.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#64 » by Bensational » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:45 pm

All these conversations really need to wait until after the playoffs. These are the performances that matter, and they'll shape the future.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#65 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 7, 2019 7:42 pm

Magic fans,

I come in peace, mi amigos.

I'm curious how much the Orlando Front Office (and fanbase) value Mo Bamba at this point.

Could he be acquired, or is he an untouchable part of the team's future?

Atlanta currently projects to have multiple top-10 selections in the 2019 draft.

Would the Dallas Mavericks pick (projected to be 9-11) be a decent starting point in trade talks for MO Bamba?
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#66 » by Skin » Tue May 7, 2019 8:10 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Magic fans,

I'm curious how much the Orlando Front Office (and fanbase) value Mo Bamba at this point.

Atlanta currently projects to have multiple top-10 selections in the 2019 draft.

Would the Dallas Mavericks pick (projected to be 9-11) be a decent starting point in trade talks for MO Bamba?

Welcome. I think a lot will be determined based on whether or not the Magic bring back Vucevic.

If they bring him back on a big time deal, then we should trade Bamba. If Atlanta's pick would put us in position to draft DeAndre Hunter, I would imagine that our Front Office would pull off that deal. Hunter's 7'2 wingspan at the SG/SF position alone would get them buzzing at the thought. By the time they complete their evaluation of him, they'd be drooling and hoping Bamba alone would be enough. But if they couldn't secure Hunter, I don't know if they would pull off a trade for another other player in that draft range.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#67 » by cedric76 » Tue May 7, 2019 8:14 pm

I m pretty sure that bamba is not on the trading block

Isaac + bamba r in the plan of our gm
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#68 » by zaymon » Tue May 7, 2019 8:24 pm

Its very hard to find offensively skilled big man who can protect the paint, dont get torched at the perimeter and dont downsize in the process. Bamba is very raw right now, but he is really unique. Only unique player i see in this draft is Zion. Our FO is very high on Bamba, and they said many times resigning Vucevic has nothing to do with Mo future with this team. From interviews after the draft you can see Weltman was higher with Bamba than with Young and maybe even Doncic. You cant predict if Bamba will be star or not but i think our FO values Bamba more than anyone on your team.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,297

Post#69 » by NotACat » Tue May 7, 2019 8:33 pm

He's definitely seen as part of the future, but the cost to acquire him is a lot higher than that. If he gets moved, I doubt its for draft picks. It'd likely be as part of a bigger deal to net us a young budding star.
Black Lives Matter
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#70 » by Max Power » Tue May 7, 2019 9:06 pm

I think we should keep Bamba, and I believe we will. In limited minutes he averaged what? 7ppg and 5rpg? As a rookie playing behind a center who had the season of his career I’ll take that. I think Bamba will improve with more court time, just like Issac has. I would be much more interested in Bamba being Vuc’s primary backup than Birch. Birch is almost as bad as Deshawn Stevenson was at missing wide open layups. Birch, a decent athlete and ok defender and energy guy, but offensively he’s pretty much useless.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#71 » by Def Swami » Tue May 7, 2019 9:14 pm

Vucevic's contract status has no bearing on Bamba. Bamba will be here unless the Magic have an offer for a star scorer/playmaker in their mid-20's who is under contract for at least 2 seasons. Bamba and Isaac represent the future of the Magic and the Magic aren't going to sell any part of it just because Vucevic may be here for the next 1-3 seasons.
Skin
RealGM

Post#72 » by Skin » Tue May 7, 2019 9:19 pm

Def Swami wrote:Vucevic's contract status has no bearing on Bamba. Bamba will be here unless the Magic have an offer for a star scorer/playmaker in their mid-20's who is under contract for at least 2 seasons. Bamba and Isaac represent the future of the Magic and the Magic aren't going to sell any part of it just because Vucevic may be here for the next 1-3 seasons.

Vucevic is not signing a 1-2 year contract. If he signs for 3, then ok... maybe Bamba stays.

But the question is why would it be bad to trade him for a Top pick in this year's draft if we can get someone like DeAndre Hunter who could start sooner than Bamba?
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#73 » by tiderulz » Tue May 7, 2019 9:19 pm

Skin wrote:

Welcome. I think a lot will be determined based on whether or not the Magic bring back Vucevic.

If they bring him back on a big time deal, then we should trade Bamba. If Atlanta's pick would put us in position to draft DeAndre Hunter, I would imagine that our Front Office would pull off that deal. Hunter's 7'2 wingspan at the SG/SF position alone would get them buzzing at the thought. By the time they complete their evaluation of him, they'd be drooling and hoping Bamba alone would be enough. But if they couldn't secure Hunter, I don't know if they would pull off a trade for another other player in that draft range.

I can see this. Imagine bringing in both Hunter and NAW to go with the existing team.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,125

Post#74 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 7, 2019 9:28 pm

I don't think Bamba will on trade block any time soon, regardless of Vučević situation.
IF Vučević resigns, Bamba will be his 18-22 mpg backup and part time starter if injury strikes.
If Vučević walks, Birch will play starter min, maybe off bench, but Bamba will be still for his own sake, limited on 25-26 mpg at max. Probably even less.

Just like Weltman said, Bamba's path has nothing to do with Vučević, they understand they have project and it will need time. How much will he improve is on him.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Skin
RealGM

Post#75 » by Skin » Tue May 7, 2019 9:29 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Skin wrote:

I can see this. Imagine bringing in both Hunter and NAW to go with the existing team.

Or Hunter and Bol Bol (to replace Bamba).

Day dream time is over kids. I was thinking about it because it sounded almost too easy. No way does ATL give us that kind of pick for Bamba.
Skin
RealGM

Post#76 » by Skin » Tue May 7, 2019 9:30 pm

pepe1991 wrote:I don't think Bamba will on trade block any time soon, regardless of Vučević situation.
IF Vučević resigns, Bamba will be his 18-22 mpg backup and part time starter if injury strikes.
If Vučević walks, Birch will play starter min, maybe off bench, but Bamba will be still for his own sake, limited on 25-26 mpg at max. Probably even less.

Just like Weltman said, Bamba's path has nothing to do with Vučević, they understand they have project and it will need time. How much will he improve is on him.

Again, you're not thinking beyond next year. If Vuc signs a 4 year deal, in what year does Bamba start?
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#77 » by Def Swami » Tue May 7, 2019 9:57 pm

Skin wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Vucevic's contract status has no bearing on Bamba. Bamba will be here unless the Magic have an offer for a star scorer/playmaker in their mid-20's who is under contract for at least 2 seasons. Bamba and Isaac represent the future of the Magic and the Magic aren't going to sell any part of it just because Vucevic may be here for the next 1-3 seasons.

Vucevic is not signing a 1-2 year contract. If he signs for 3, then ok... maybe Bamba stays.

But the question is why would it be bad to trade him for a Top pick in this year's draft if we can get someone like DeAndre Hunter who could start sooner than Bamba?

Vucevic will probably get 3 or 4 years, but that doesn't mean he'll see all of it through here in Orlando. If the Magic front office were to have their way, they'd hope that Bamba develops into the star role they've longed for and makes Vucevic expendable to help shore up their weaknesses. That should be all of our hopes.

My issue in trading Bamba is all in the reasoning. The Magic shouldn't be trading someone who is possibly a better prospect for another one just because the other one may fill a void. If the Magic are high on one of the prospects in that range and feel confident that their career trajectory is at least similar or better than Bamba's, then they should go for it (on more thought, I could see them doing this for someone like Darius Garland or Coby White). But if it's solely to fill a void and because Vucevic is starting, then I don't believe that is the sound reasoning to do a deal like that.

Again, both Bamba and Isaac are in the plans for the Magic for the next 7ish years if all goes according to plan. They along with Fultz represent the real chances of developing star talent at the moment. In some ways, they're each kind of like a lottery ticket and we're all praying one hits. Hammond used his draft picks the same way in Milwaukee. There was an SI story a couple years ago where they interviewed Hammond and talked about how hard it is to land star talent in a small market town and how they had to take risks in the fringe lottery on guys and hope one pans out.

Unfortunately, for every Greek Freak, there's a Thon Maker, but this is how Hammond has used the draft. Antetokounmpo wasn't really considered a good NBA player until his late 3rd season and 4th seasons in the league. The development of his body over that time has been a big factor. They're hoping something similar can happen for Bamba or Isaac, and even Fultz. At the same time, they'd like to remain competitive and continue to collect assets, which is why I beleive it's preferable to them to keep Vucevic on a decent contract while developing Bamba at the same time.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,125

Post#78 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 7, 2019 10:06 pm

Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:I don't think Bamba will on trade block any time soon, regardless of Vučević situation.

Again, you're not thinking beyond next year. If Vuc signs a 4 year deal, in what year does Bamba start?

He was not playable this year.
He won't turn into starting level C any time soon. Better than Vučević maybe ever. Once he becomes, if he becomes, start him .But it probably won't happen in next 3 years anyway.
This overvalue of draft picks just to jusfty selection is beyond me.
By same logic Nuggets should still shove some fool over Jokić because Jokić wasn't lottery pick "and you gotta play them".

Also we are talking about Vučević on $22-25 M a year, as i posted 2 days ago, he will be payed just in a range like most others, non superstars get. If Bamba turns into something elite, you can always trade Vučević down the road.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Skin
RealGM

Post#79 » by Skin » Tue May 7, 2019 10:22 pm

Def Swami wrote:
Skin wrote:

Vucevic will probably get 3 or 4 years, but that doesn't mean he'll see all of it through here in Orlando. If the Magic front office were to have their way, they'd hope that Bamba develops into the star role they've longed for and makes Vucevic expendable to help shore up their weaknesses. That should be all of our hopes.

My issue in trading Bamba is all in the reasoning. The Magic shouldn't be trading someone who is possibly a better prospect for another one just because the other one may fill a void. If the Magic are high on one of the prospects in that range and feel confident that their career trajectory is at least similar or better than Bamba's, then they should go for it (on more thought, I could see them doing this for someone like Darius Garland or Coby White). But if it's solely to fill a void and because Vucevic is starting, then I don't believe that is the sound reasoning to do a deal like that.

Again, both Bamba and Isaac are in the plans for the Magic for the next 7ish years if all goes according to plan. They along with Fultz represent the real chances of developing star talent at the moment. In some ways, they're each kind of like a lottery ticket and we're all praying one hits. Hammond used his draft picks the same way in Milwaukee. There was an SI story a couple years ago where they interviewed Hammond and talked about how hard it is to land star talent in a small market town and how they had to take risks in the fringe lottery on guys and hope one pans out.

Unfortunately, for every Greek Freak, there's a Thon Maker, but this is how Hammond has used the draft. Antetokounmpo wasn't really considered a good NBA player until his late 3rd season and 4th seasons in the league. The development of his body over that time has been a big factor. They're hoping something similar can happen for Bamba or Isaac, and even Fultz. At the same time, they'd like to remain competitive and continue to collect assets, which is why I beleive it's preferable to them to keep Vucevic on a decent contract while developing Bamba at the same time.

Well if you're keeping Vuc, that means you want to win now. Better to surround him with players who can have a bigger impact.

Bamba is not irreplaceable, imo.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#80 » by KillMonger » Tue May 7, 2019 10:23 pm

Wait birch is still on the team in your scenario? How does bamba get minutes if birch is still around? Let birch sign an offer sheet elsewhere and solidify bamba's backup minutes and if worst comes just suit up mozgov.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Orlando Magic