ImageImageImageImage

Mo Bamba's future with Orlando?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,125

Re: Mo Bamba's future with Orlando? 

Post#81 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 7, 2019 10:47 pm

Solid Snake wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:I don't think Bamba will on trade block any time soon, regardless of Vučević situation.
IF Vučević resigns, Bamba will be his 18-22 mpg backup and part time starter if injury strikes.
If Vučević walks, Birch will play starter min, maybe off bench, but Bamba will be still for his own sake, limited on 25-26 mpg at max. Probably even less.

Just like Weltman said, Bamba's path has nothing to do with Vučević, they understand they have project and it will need time. How much will he improve is on him.
Wait birch is still on the team in your scenario? How does bamba get minutes if birch is still around? Let birch sign an offer sheet elsewhere and solidify bamba's backup minutes and if worst comes just suit up mozgov.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

No, no,.
If Vučević is resigned , Bamba is backup, Birch gone.
If Vučević is gone, you should resign Birch.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#82 » by Def Swami » Tue May 7, 2019 11:51 pm

Skin wrote:
Def Swami wrote:
Skin wrote:Vucevic is not signing a 1-2 year contract. If he signs for 3, then ok... maybe Bamba stays.

But the question is why would it be bad to trade him for a Top pick in this year's draft if we can get someone like DeAndre Hunter who could start sooner than Bamba?

Vucevic will probably get 3 or 4 years, but that doesn't mean he'll see all of it through here in Orlando. If the Magic front office were to have their way, they'd hope that Bamba develops into the star role they've longed for and makes Vucevic expendable to help shore up their weaknesses. That should be all of our hopes.

My issue in trading Bamba is all in the reasoning. The Magic shouldn't be trading someone who is possibly a better prospect for another one just because the other one may fill a void. If the Magic are high on one of the prospects in that range and feel confident that their career trajectory is at least similar or better than Bamba's, then they should go for it (on more thought, I could see them doing this for someone like Darius Garland or Coby White). But if it's solely to fill a void and because Vucevic is starting, then I don't believe that is the sound reasoning to do a deal like that.

Again, both Bamba and Isaac are in the plans for the Magic for the next 7ish years if all goes according to plan. They along with Fultz represent the real chances of developing star talent at the moment. In some ways, they're each kind of like a lottery ticket and we're all praying one hits. Hammond used his draft picks the same way in Milwaukee. There was an SI story a couple years ago where they interviewed Hammond and talked about how hard it is to land star talent in a small market town and how they had to take risks in the fringe lottery on guys and hope one pans out.

Unfortunately, for every Greek Freak, there's a Thon Maker, but this is how Hammond has used the draft. Antetokounmpo wasn't really considered a good NBA player until his late 3rd season and 4th seasons in the league. The development of his body over that time has been a big factor. They're hoping something similar can happen for Bamba or Isaac, and even Fultz. At the same time, they'd like to remain competitive and continue to collect assets, which is why I beleive it's preferable to them to keep Vucevic on a decent contract while developing Bamba at the same time.

Well if you're keeping Vuc, that means you want to win now. Better to surround him with players who can have a bigger impact.

Bamba is not irreplaceable, imo.

Sure, they want to win now. But they also don't want to sacrifice their future. Those two paths aren't mutually exclusive.
J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 298

Post#83 » by J the Drafter » Tue May 7, 2019 11:56 pm

It would be best to think of Bamba as a big instead of a center, IMO.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#84 » by Skin » Tue May 7, 2019 11:58 pm

J the Drafter wrote:It would be best to think of Bamba as a big instead of a center, IMO.

Agreed. :nod:
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skin
RealGM

Post#85 » by Skin » Wed May 8, 2019 12:01 am

Def Swami wrote:
Skin wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Vucevic will probably get 3 or 4 years, but that doesn't mean he'll see all of it through here in Orlando. If the Magic front office were to have their way, they'd hope that Bamba develops into the star role they've longed for and makes Vucevic expendable to help shore up their weaknesses. That should be all of our hopes.

My issue in trading Bamba is all in the reasoning. The Magic shouldn't be trading someone who is possibly a better prospect for another one just because the other one may fill a void. If the Magic are high on one of the prospects in that range and feel confident that their career trajectory is at least similar or better than Bamba's, then they should go for it (on more thought, I could see them doing this for someone like Darius Garland or Coby White). But if it's solely to fill a void and because Vucevic is starting, then I don't believe that is the sound reasoning to do a deal like that.

Again, both Bamba and Isaac are in the plans for the Magic for the next 7ish years if all goes according to plan. They along with Fultz represent the real chances of developing star talent at the moment. In some ways, they're each kind of like a lottery ticket and we're all praying one hits. Hammond used his draft picks the same way in Milwaukee. There was an SI story a couple years ago where they interviewed Hammond and talked about how hard it is to land star talent in a small market town and how they had to take risks in the fringe lottery on guys and hope one pans out.

Unfortunately, for every Greek Freak, there's a Thon Maker, but this is how Hammond has used the draft. Antetokounmpo wasn't really considered a good NBA player until his late 3rd season and 4th seasons in the league. The development of his body over that time has been a big factor. They're hoping something similar can happen for Bamba or Isaac, and even Fultz. At the same time, they'd like to remain competitive and continue to collect assets, which is why I beleive it's preferable to them to keep Vucevic on a decent contract while developing Bamba at the same time.

Well if you're keeping Vuc, that means you want to win now. Better to surround him with players who can have a bigger impact.

Sure, they want to win now. But they also don't want to sacrifice their future. Those two paths aren't mutually exclusive.

It's a nice thought, but it's limited. If you want to win a championship during Vuc's next contract, then the Magic need to explore all options at getting better fast. If they just want more 1st round... maybe 2nd round playoff exits (and call that winning), then yeah, what you say makes sense.
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#86 » by Def Swami » Wed May 8, 2019 1:29 am

Skin wrote:
Def Swami wrote:
Skin wrote:Well if you're keeping Vuc, that means you want to win now. Better to surround him with players who can have a bigger impact.

It's a nice thought, but it's limited. If you want to win a championship during Vuc's next contract, then the Magic need to explore all options at getting better fast. If they just want more 1st round... maybe 2nd round playoff exits (and call that winning), then yeah, what you say makes sense.

Realistically, there is no "get good quick" fix in the NBA unless you sign a top 10 player in free agency or draft a generational talent. And drafting the generational talent is nice in theory, but they're "generational" for a reason. Teams like us have plodded through the lottery season after season without anything to show for it, while others have lapped us in that timespan.

The Magic are going to take a slow and methodical approach to building this team over several seasons. Weltman and Hammond have both said that. It has taken a team like the Raptors, who collected assets, drafted well, and remained competitive 6 years to finally actualize their potential as a contender. It has also taken a team like the 76ers just as long to reach that status after starting "the Process." It really doesn't matter whether Vucevic is here or not and doesn't really matter which approach the Magic take to building their team. The odds of the Magic winning a championship are slim over the next few years. A lot of that rests on the shoulders of Isaac, Gordon, Bamba, Fultz, and collectively what they can do with future draft picks and assets on the team.

In the mean time, the Magic, like 80% of the NBA teams, aren't realistically playing for a championship over the next few seasons. They'll take incremental improvements season after season, while hoping to improve their roster.

As an aside that is probably best for another thread, I do think there is something enjoyable about following a perennial 50ish win team over 10 years despite never showing any championships. If my sole enjoyment came from championships or bust, I'd be the most miserable poster in all of basketball forums. Do I want the Magic to win a championship? Absolutely! But, it's not the end all be all for me as a fan. I really just want an entertaining brand of basketball to watch every night and fun team to root for that is good. Whether that means tanking to get a superstar talent or building slowly off what we have, I don't really care. I kind of envy what the Blazers fans have; a really fun team and cast of players to root for every night. They have a team that is always a move away from being a contender but have been consistently good for the last several seasons, and are on pace to be so going forward. I think the Raptors fans have had that during their run as well. Ultimately, that's what I want for our team and fans.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#87 » by tiderulz » Wed May 8, 2019 1:47 am

pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:I don't think Bamba will on trade block any time soon, regardless of Vučević situation.
IF Vučević resigns, Bamba will be his 18-22 mpg backup and part time starter if injury strikes.
If Vučević walks, Birch will play starter min, maybe off bench, but Bamba will be still for his own sake, limited on 25-26 mpg at max. Probably even less.

Just like Weltman said, Bamba's path has nothing to do with Vučević, they understand they have project and it will need time. How much will he improve is on him.

Again, you're not thinking beyond next year. If Vuc signs a 4 year deal, in what year does Bamba start?

He was not playable this year.
He won't turn into starting level C any time soon. Better than Vučević maybe ever. Once he becomes, if he becomes, start him .But it probably won't happen in next 3 years anyway.
This overvalue of draft picks just to jusfty selection is beyond me.
By same logic Nuggets should still shove some fool over Jokić because Jokić wasn't lottery pick "and you gotta play them".

Also we are talking about Vučević on $22-25 M a year, as i posted 2 days ago, he will be payed just in a range like most others, non superstars get. If Bamba turns into something elite, you can always trade Vučević down the road.

I disagree. He was playable this year, if for nothing else to see where he stood against NBA competition and where his body stood. Now we know both.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#88 » by pepe1991 » Wed May 8, 2019 5:17 am

tiderulz wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:Again, you're not thinking beyond next year. If Vuc signs a 4 year deal, in what year does Bamba start?

He won't turn into starting level C any time soon. Better than Vučević maybe ever. Once he becomes, if he becomes, start him .But it probably won't happen in next 3 years anyway.
By same logic Nuggets should still shove some fool over Jokić because Jokić wasn't lottery pick "and you gotta play them".

Also we are talking about Vučević on $22-25 M a year, as i posted 2 days ago, he will be payed just in a range like most others, non superstars get. If Bamba turns into something elite, you can always trade Vučević down the road.

I disagree. He was playable this year, if for nothing else to see where he stood against NBA competition and where his body stood. Now we know both.

With filter of :
minimum 10 games played
and minimum 10 min per game

Mo Bamba was 4th worst nba player by net rating ahead of : Cameron Payne, Frank Mason and Marqeese Chriss.
IF that's not unplayable i don't know what is.

Before season starter at OPP we as fans come to idea that he should only play home games and close road games to get stronger and avoid traveling. Lot of fans thought that he is so poorly suited for NBA for last year that team should red shirt him for whole season and just have him practice with a team and, if time is right , play him toward the end of a season.

History showed what we all knew, he wasn't ready for NBA.
Skin
RealGM

Post#89 » by Skin » Wed May 8, 2019 6:34 am

pepe1991 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

With filter of :
minimum 10 games played

Mo Bamba was 4th worst nba player by net rating ahead of : Cameron Payne, Frank Mason and Marqeese Chriss.

Before season starter at OPP we as fans come to idea that he should only play home games and close road games to get stronger and avoid traveling. Lot of fans thought that he is so poorly suited for NBA for last year that team should red shirt him for whole season and just have him practice with a team and, if time is right , play him toward the end of a season.

Those rating stats are irrelevant. What was his role, what was his supporting cast, was he being asked to focus on certain aspects of his game, were plays being called for him, etc etc.. He's such a young player, you can't base what he is capable of by looking at his rating stats. Jeez man. It's not crazy to think that by the end of the season, his stats would improve over time. But noooo, not for you. Whatever his stats are, you just gotta pro rate it. lol

His injury is what limited him. Not his rating stats.
Skin
RealGM

Post#90 » by Skin » Wed May 8, 2019 6:36 am

Def Swami wrote:
Skin wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Sure, they want to win now. But they also don't want to sacrifice their future. Those two paths aren't mutually exclusive.

Realistically, there is no "get good quick" fix in the NBA unless you sign a top 10 player in free agency or draft a generational talent. And drafting the generational talent is nice in theory, but they're "generational" for a reason. Teams like us have plodded through the lottery season after season without anything to show for it, while others have lapped us in that timespan.

The Magic are going to take a slow and methodical approach to building this team over several seasons. Weltman and Hammond have both said that. It has taken a team like the Raptors, who collected assets, drafted well, and remained competitive 6 years to finally actualize their potential as a contender. It has also taken a team like the 76ers just as long to reach that status after starting "the Process." It really doesn't matter whether Vucevic is here or not and doesn't really matter which approach the Magic take to building their team. The odds of the Magic winning a championship are slim over the next few years. A lot of that rests on the shoulders of Isaac, Gordon, Bamba, Fultz, and collectively what they can do with future draft picks and assets on the team.

In the mean time, the Magic, like 80% of the NBA teams, aren't realistically playing for a championship over the next few seasons. They'll take incremental improvements season after season, while hoping to improve their roster.

As an aside that is probably best for another thread, I do think there is something enjoyable about following a perennial 50ish win team over 10 years despite never showing any championships. If my sole enjoyment came from championships or bust, I'd be the most miserable poster in all of basketball forums. Do I want the Magic to win a championship? Absolutely! But, it's not the end all be all for me as a fan. I really just want an entertaining brand of basketball to watch every night and fun team to root for that is good. Whether that means tanking to get a superstar talent or building slowly off what we have, I don't really care. I kind of envy what the Blazers fans have; a really fun team and cast of players to root for every night. They have a team that is always a move away from being a contender but have been consistently good for the last several seasons, and are on pace to be so going forward. I think the Raptors fans have had that during their run as well. Ultimately, that's what I want for our team and fans.

Fair enough. I can see that pov.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#91 » by pepe1991 » Wed May 8, 2019 7:27 am

Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:I disagree. He was playable this year, if for nothing else to see where he stood against NBA competition and where his body stood. Now we know both.

With filter of :
minimum 10 games played

Those rating stats are irrelevant. What was his role, what was his supporting cast, was he being asked to focus on certain aspects of his game, were plays being called for him, etc etc.. He's such a young player, you can't base what he is capable of by looking at his rating stats. Jeez man. It's not crazy to think that by the end of the season, his stats would improve over time. But noooo, not for you. Whatever his stats are, you just gotta pro rate it. lol

I'm sure your posts make sense in your head.

His injury is what limited him. Not his rating stats

His lack if skills, strenght and muscle mass is what limited him. Injury just finished his horrid rookie year early.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Post#92 » by Skybox » Wed May 8, 2019 10:33 am

Skin wrote:
J the Drafter wrote:It would be best to think of Bamba as a big instead of a center, IMO.

Agreed. :nod:

I think Bamba will be a very solid role player off the bench (at minimum). If he becomes John Salley and transforms our second unit into a monster and contributes in various lineups at 25-30min a game, he's still a solid piece. He doesn't have to "replace" Vuc or revolutionize the Center position to be worthy of the #6 slot. Depth is good...I wouldn't consider him on the block but I also wouldn't consider him untouchable in trade talks. When you become a good team, trading a young guy doesn't necessarily mean giving up on him. If Ainge trades Tatum, Brown, etc for AD...nobody will accuse him of giving up on Tatum. We need to change our perspective with some of these draft picks like AG, Isaac, and Mo -it's not "Hall of Fame or bust".
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#93 » by tiderulz » Wed May 8, 2019 11:23 am

pepe1991 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

With filter of :
minimum 10 games played

my statement still stands. we had guesses but we didnt really know how he would compare. now we know exactly how much work he needs
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,085

Post#94 » by yoyojw17 » Wed May 8, 2019 1:02 pm

Def Swami wrote:
Skin wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Sure, they want to win now. But they also don't want to sacrifice their future. Those two paths aren't mutually exclusive.

WELL PUT!!!!

especially this part...

I do think there is something enjoyable about following a perennial 50ish win team over 10 years despite never showing any championships. If my sole enjoyment came from championships or bust, I'd be the most miserable poster in all of basketball forums.

there are 30 teams and 1 champion ...there is no way that one should hinge their overall happiness on those odds. But the excitement of winning one will be otherworldly. i believe in WeHam... and love the approach they are taking. just gotta see if it all works out in the end.... because we don't know when they next group of stars say.... "wanna form a super team with me?" lol
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,085

Post#95 » by yoyojw17 » Wed May 8, 2019 1:19 pm

I'm gonna wait till bamba is no longer a freaking bean sprout and a ROOKIE.... to make any decisions on what he will be. We all knew from the get go that he was going to be a couple year project... so we can't sit here and judge him on the first half of his ROOKIE season. If he still gets thrown around at 235-240lb and those numbers stay the same... then i can get these projections.

So that's why i have no problem retaining vuc with bamba on the team... as it might take his rookie contract before we can make those projections accurately.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#96 » by OrlandO » Wed May 8, 2019 1:36 pm

Nah, it's best to think of him as a C because that's what he is. Nothing we saw from him this season should make people think of him as a PF/C or even a C/PF.
Catledge
Starter
And1: 833

Post#97 » by Catledge » Wed May 8, 2019 2:34 pm

I have the same attitude about Bamba that I have about Fultz: we should plan a workable rotation that doesn't include major contributions from either player. If one of them shows major improvement and matches or exceeds the productivity of the starter at his position, then that's a great problem to have, and we'll deal with it if and when it happens.

Until that problem presents itself, we should build the rotation and game plan around the core of AG, Isaac, and Vooch.
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Post#98 » by magicman112 » Wed May 8, 2019 3:29 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
With filter of :
minimum 10 games played

I'm sure your posts make sense in your head.

His injury is what limited him. Not his rating stats

His lack if skills, strenght and muscle mass is what limited him. Injury just finished his horrid rookie year early.

Yes, as I've said before I don't know why people thought he was going to come in and be gangbusters. He was a project that was known from the start so I'm not too concerned about him look at how far Isaac came along in his 2nd season with this coaching staff.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,663

Post#99 » by MagicMatic » Wed May 8, 2019 4:35 pm

Def Swami wrote:
Skin wrote:

That depends on who you deem “generational”. It’s hard to not be jaded about the NBA when every year the most elite talent (top 10 best players) ,or most stacked rosters, are always in contention conversations. Orlando was only able to achieve such success through the draft with Shaq, Penny, and Dwight. People must have forgotten that. Elite players today don’t go from good situations to worse, only seemingly or exponentially better in most scenarios.

All of this comes down to how you view the current assets of this roster and the potential the young guys carry. If you believe this roster is capable of 50+ win seasons, (GSW, MIL, HOU, PHI, TOR, POR, DEN were the only ones this season) then you have way higher hopes. Either that, or you believe WeHam will draft a diamond in the rough (Giannis, Jokic, Mitchell), that an elite player will sign as a FA, or that a big splashy trade with multiple assets will be made. My bets aren’t high on any of those things happening now or in the foreseeable future.

Being satisfied with progress is fine. Anyone can find their own personal gratification in improved success over the course of time. There are also sections of fans for certain teams that would rather blow it up, than be completely inconsequential in the larger landscape of the nba. There are fun regular season teams, fun playoff teams, and sometimes both. Orlando are neither currently.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#100 » by Xatticus » Wed May 8, 2019 4:46 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Def Swami wrote:
Skin wrote:It's a nice thought, but it's limited. If you want to win a championship during Vuc's next contract, then the Magic need to explore all options at getting better fast. If they just want more 1st round... maybe 2nd round playoff exits (and call that winning), then yeah, what you say makes sense.

That depends on who you deem “generational”. It’s hard to not be jaded about the NBA when every year the most elite talent (top 10 best players) ,or most stacked rosters, are always in contention conversations. Orlando was only able to achieve such success through the draft with Shaq, Penny, and Dwight. People must have forgotten that. Elite players today don’t go from good situations to worse, only seemingly or exponentially better in most scenarios.

All of this comes down to how you view the current assets of this roster and the potential the young guys carry. If you believe this roster is capable of 50+ win seasons, (GSW, MIL, HOU, PHI, TOR, POR, DEN were the only ones this season) then you have way higher hopes. Either that, or you believe WeHam will draft a diamond in the rough (Giannis, Jokic, Mitchell), that an elite player will sign as a FA, or that a big splashy trade with multiple assets will be made. My bets aren’t high on any of those things happening now or in the foreseeable future.

Being satisfied with progress is fine. Anyone can find their own personal gratification in improved success over the course of time. There are also sections of fans for certain teams that would rather blow it up, than be completely inconsequential in the larger landscape of the nba. There are fun regular season teams, fun playoff teams, and sometimes both. Orlando are neither currently.

I'd add though that the list of top ten players is dynamic and that the new entries onto that list aren't always predictable. It always seems that the players among the top ten were preordained when you have the benefit of retrospect, but it just isn't the case. How long ago was it that Jokic or Giannis weren't on the radar as among the NBA's elite? I certainly remember a time when Curry was struggling to find his footing with reoccuring ankle ailments.

Our best chance at such a player is to draft and develop it. Our current front office seems to appreciate this, at least to some extent, as they have targeted high-ceiling prospects in the draft. We will have a better idea of just how much appreciation they have by how this summer plays out.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991

Return to Orlando Magic