not to blame for current circumstances but must prove herself this summer
25%

Total votes: 64

danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Re: Questioning Jeanie’s ability to be the owner the Lakers need 

Post#41 » by danfantastk32 » Tue May 7, 2019 6:27 pm

machine18 wrote:But yes, for your argument's purposes, let's just label them both as 'large markets' and act as if they could both realistically vie for the same media deal and only achieve it by the skill of the front office.

Sarcasm aside.....your once again making my point: Deals don't just happen. If you got yourself a crappy owner with small vision, then yeah...your not on the same level....even though your in the same city. Thank you for getting it.

Wasn't a fantastically deep comment I made. Rather an obvious one. Both of you just made points that prove it.

Going way way back.....I said Jeanie has been great at the business side. The Lakers have been running smooth under her, as far as the business goes. I see no reason to replace here. She just needs to get a Pat-Riley / J-West type....and leave them alone.

I think she can.
machine18
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#42 » by machine18 » Tue May 7, 2019 7:44 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
machine18 wrote:But yes, for your argument's purposes, let's just label them both as 'large markets' and act as if they could both realistically vie for the same media deal and only achieve it by the skill of the front office.

Sarcasm aside.....your once again making my point: Deals don't just happen. If you got yourself a crappy owner with small vision, then yeah...your not on the same level....even though your in the same city. Thank you for getting it.

Wasn't a fantastically deep comment I made. Rather an obvious one. Both of you just made points that prove it.

Going way way back.....I said Jeanie has been great at the business side. The Lakers have been running smooth under her, as far as the business goes. I see no reason to replace here. She just needs to get a Pat-Riley / J-West type....and leave them alone.

I think she can.

Cool. That statement was only sarcasm, nothing more, because it doesn't make sense. There is zero logic behind your 'point' other than "I'm saying Jeanie is doing a good job because I want to say Jeanie is doing a good job."

If that's your prerogative then cool, but I am done trying to help you understand how giving her the credit that you are by acting as if any other owner in the league had the same 'opportunity' is a terrible metric to judge her success on.

And if only she would interview literally anyone at all to find her "Pat-Riley/ J-West type", but she must already have it with Pelinka and probably Rambis, so you are right - super job Jeanie, knocking it out the park! And bringing your best friend along for the coaching interviews, that's what all the top execs do of course! Bringing your lap dog in your purse to work when you're meeting with Ingram and Pelinka about Ingram's future with the organization - shows you are a very professional and serious owner. Top notch, indeed.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#43 » by danfantastk32 » Tue May 7, 2019 10:06 pm

machine18 wrote:If that's your prerogative then cool, but I am done trying to help you understand how giving her the credit that you are by acting as if any other owner in the league had the same 'opportunity' is a terrible metric to judge her success on.

Sorry you had to give up on me. It must be frustrating.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,652

Post#44 » by dockingsched » Wed May 8, 2019 11:22 pm

Report 1: Lakers don’t have unanimous support for Lue over Williams, so they wait it out til Monty is hired elsewhere so that the unanimous support can now be there.

Report 2: After allowing the only other candidate to be hired elsewhere, you decide to only offer a 3 year deal go Lue, which is insanely short. You also reportedly push for Lue to add Kidd to his staff.

Report 3: having had everything blow up in your face due to money issues that shouldn’t even be a concern in this market, you turn to retreads like Lionel Hollins and Mike Woodson.

Someone has to answer for these blunders and right now it’s in Jeanie. Repeated incompetence.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Post#45 » by Dr Aki » Thu May 9, 2019 12:44 am

I've changed my vote.

The Lakers are what the French call... "Les Incompetents"

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,931

Post#46 » by zimpy27 » Thu May 9, 2019 1:37 am

dockingsched wrote:Report 1: Lakers don’t have unanimous support for Lue over Williams, so they wait it out til Monty is hired elsewhere so that the unanimous support can now be there.

Report 2: After allowing the only other candidate to be hired elsewhere, you decide to only offer a 3 year deal go Lue, which is insanely short. You also reportedly push for Lue to add Kidd to his staff.

Report 3: having had everything blow up in your face due to money issues that shouldn’t even be a concern in this market, you turn to retreads like Lionel Hollins and Mike Woodson.

Someone has to answer for these blunders and right now it’s in Jeanie. Repeated incompetence.

This is like calling all the way to the river and then putting out a weak raise before folding.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Post#47 » by madmaxmedia » Thu May 9, 2019 5:32 am

dockingsched wrote:Report 1: Lakers don’t have unanimous support for Lue over Williams, so they wait it out til Monty is hired elsewhere so that the unanimous support can now be there.

Don’t worry- Linda has this.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#48 » by Slava » Thu May 9, 2019 7:03 am

Sell the team.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#49 » by Slava » Thu May 9, 2019 7:53 am

:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,035

Post#50 » by JazzUte88 » Thu May 9, 2019 10:48 am

I'll be in LA and have free time to go? Lmao. :crazy:
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,026

Post#51 » by RamonSessions7 » Thu May 9, 2019 3:45 pm

Slava wrote:Apparently a protest outside Staples on Friday

https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/bmct21/lakers_protest_friday_outside_staples/

Jim better be there.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,388

Post#52 » by Danny Darko » Thu May 9, 2019 5:09 pm

Read on Twitter
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#53 » by Kilroy » Thu May 9, 2019 6:08 pm

Don't even need to sell it... Just give it back to Jim... Clearly, he wasn't the problem...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,388

Post#54 » by Danny Darko » Thu May 9, 2019 7:21 pm

Kilroy wrote:Don't even need to sell it... Just give it back to Jim... Clearly, he wasn't the problem...

MozDeng want to say hello.

Not sure I trust any Buss now.

Joey and Jesse seem to be doing good jobs, but as far as franchise decisions, I think I'm over seeing which of his kids didn't suffer from genetic variation or lack of meaningful experience.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#55 » by Kilroy » Thu May 9, 2019 7:45 pm

Danny Darko wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Don't even need to sell it... Just give it back to Jim... Clearly, he wasn't the problem...

MozDeng want to say hello.

Not sure I trust any Buss now.

Joey and Jesse seem to be doing good jobs, but as far as franchise decisions, I think I'm over seeing which of his kids didn't suffer from genetic variation or lack of meaningful experience.

Nobody wants to recognize that the Deng and Moz deals A) were a direct result of the pressure Jeanie and her arbitrary deadline created, and B) Neither of those deals were all that bad for us in the long run, nor did they prevent us from making any significant moves.

We had been unable to sign any significant free agents for 2 seasons because no one wanted to play with Kobe... Jeanie was on the news saying if we weren't competing for a Championship, she was going to fire Jim... So the next FA period opens and we sign the first 2 free agents that meet our needs and will return our call... We over-pay, but we time the deals to end when the top free agents start coming online...
There was no one of significance we were going to sign to play out Kobe's contract with him anyway, so what good would keeping maybe what?... $10M in cap space? What good would that have done us?

Jim and Mitch never got the chance to play out their plan... Magic and Jeanie started doing their bash media-blitz, and when they saw that public opinion was where they wanted it, Jim and Mitch were out....

We've had cap space for the last 2 seasons... What did we do with it? We signed LeBron, and although I personally think he was coming here regardless for the media opportunities, I'll give Magic some credit for that... Still, what good did saving the money get us?

So I'll counter Moz/Deng, with Rondo/Chandler/Beasley/KCP... And I'll double counter with the unimaginably bad way the AD trade was handled, and I'll triple counter with the fact that Jim/Mitch saw the value in Russell and Randle, but Maginka/Jeanie dumped them... All in the space of 2 seasons... Also remember the Dwight "Please Stay" banners... That was all Jeanie...

I think it's pretty clear that the negative public perception of Jim was being carefully orchestrated by Jeanie... All the leaks we have now... Seems logical the leaks we had then were coming from her too...
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#56 » by NBAWestFan » Thu May 9, 2019 8:18 pm

The Lakers need to get their business in gear.

Being a long time fan there has never been this much instability in the organization.

People are calling the team a circus.

I would also look to the outside to get some Veteran Leadership.

We need someone who can clean house and clear the smoke away and make Free Agents want to come to LA.
Sushisensei26
Sixth Man
And1: 614

Post#57 » by Sushisensei26 » Thu May 9, 2019 8:41 pm

Fcuk what Jim and now Jeannie have done to this team.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#58 » by Kilroy » Fri May 10, 2019 7:18 pm

Jeanie needs to ask herself whether it would be better to completely turn the the basketball side of the team over to an outsider... Or ask Jim back to run it... Because unless she completely divests herself of all things Lakers Basketball and just focuses on the Marketing side of things, she's damaging the brand.
She allowed Linda and Kurt and Pelinka and Magic to turn this into, not even a Circus, but a fly-by-night carnival, run by Inbred Syphilitic Gypsies...
She basically has to completely clean house at this point and get a real POBO to run the team. And we need LeBron happy too much at this point to do the easy thing and bring in Phil... So either she turns that over to family and lets Jim hire a real POBO and be the ownership face of the franchise (not an active participant in Operations), or she fires everyone, and starts interviewing guys like Myers, etc...
She completely screwed this up and it's time for her to take her punishment and make some painful decisions.

Or if she doesn't like those options, suck it up and hire West...

As comically bad as things are right now, there's plenty of time to turn things around, but she needs to do something now to stop the bleeding and give herself some breathing room to make the tough calls...
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#59 » by leeprettyp » Sat May 11, 2019 5:45 pm

I think we're being impatient... At least give this front office group this off-season to see if they get a top tier free agent and produce a legit roster.
machine18
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#60 » by machine18 » Sat May 11, 2019 6:01 pm

leeprettyp wrote:I think we're being impatient... At least give this front office group this off-season to see if they get a top tier free agent and produce a legit roster.

Again, people aren't getting upset because the perfect POBO and head coach weren't hired immediately, the first day of the off-season. Its the decisions (or lack of) and antics of the front office over the past couple months that have shown gross incompetence across the board. They are showing they couldn't successfully operate a local McDonald's franchise, let alone a multi-billion dollar organization such as the Lakers.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers