Non-threadworthy UFC Events Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: Non-threadworthy UFC Events Thread 

Post#761 » by REDDzone » Sun May 12, 2019 2:32 pm

Slo wrote:On another note, how are such throwdowns OK and 12 to 6 elbows are too dangerous? I dont want to be the mom police now but if that throw lands on a slightly different angle that can be life ending, or if youre in luck you end up "only" in a wheelchair :-?

First, 12 to 6 elbows should be legal. Second, spiking on the head is actually illegal. I think what made this legal (not that the crack Brazilian "commission" would overturn it anyway) is that technically Rose had a submission in that kimura. Just like it's legal to slam your way out of triangles, etc. Think Rampage.

Also, saw this, IDK:

Read on Twitter
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#762 » by gigantes » Sun May 12, 2019 3:58 pm

spykelee wrote:Rose is so relieved to be done with being champion and sounds exasperated from training and fighting in general. Talked of wanting to do other things with her life. Isn't making any decisions tonight but at the same time said she kinda knows what she wants to do. I think she's gonna be done.

Definitely an interesting situation, altho I think it's way premature to speculate about her being "done."

So many fighters take losses ultra-hard, speak about retirement, and then fight on for many more years. Putting in that level of super-dedicated training / conditioning for so many years in virtually any endeavor will almost invariably lead an individual to return to that pursuit... at least in some form or another. That's just life.

Anyway, I thought it was both refreshing and surprising that Rose had this reaction. "Refreshing," because so much of the time a champion will get absolutely annihilated, like Stipe, Aldo and perhaps Silva, etc, then will immediately call for a return match as their 'rightful due.' Yet Rose did the complete opposite (straight dominating), then followed with the opposite reaction. Interesting. Almost like a commentary on how that kind of thing works. Like-- she can still respect herself after that kind of loss, but maybe those other guys had a very hard time looking in the mirror afterwards, and wanted to 'fix' the situation ASAP.

Sounds like a break will be good for Rose. She seems like such a great person that I wish her happiness in whatever, but I do expect her to back at some point.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#763 » by gigantes » Sun May 12, 2019 4:04 pm

REDDzone wrote:Also, saw this, IDK:

Read on Twitter

I don't know about that, but McCarthy just said that slamming someone on their head / neck is grounds for a DQ unless they're going for a submission, which Rose was.

Rose's mistake seems to have been to carry on the sub attempt too long instead of dropping it or repositioning herself for the slam.

Andrade also admitted that she had so much blood in her eyes that she was virtually blind, so this looks a lot to me like one of those Hail Mary situations that salvaged what would have been a beatdown.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#764 » by cowboyronnie » Sun May 12, 2019 6:58 pm

Dominick Cruz at his best last night...

At conclusion of Aldo fight: "The problem is Aldo's fighting not to lose", 60 seconds later: "The problem is Aldo was looking for a highlight finish". IS HE JUST INSERTING RANDOM COLOR COMMENTATOR NONSENSE??? Those are completely contradictory. And, no, Aldo was not fighting not to lose. If anything, he was way overconfident and assuming he'd catch the dude on a counter. There's no insight at all from this idiot.

Andrade in on a single of Rose, Dom: "You can't lift from here." 3 seconds later: Rose is unconscious.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#765 » by cowboyronnie » Sun May 12, 2019 7:01 pm

If anything was (or should be) illegal, it was the Cannonier kick. It did first catch hamstring, and hard, but that's way too close to the joint to be allowed IMO.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#766 » by REDDzone » Sun May 12, 2019 8:06 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Dominick Cruz at his best last night...

At conclusion of Aldo fight: "The problem is Aldo's fighting not to lose", 60 seconds later: "The problem is Aldo was looking for a highlight finish". IS HE JUST INSERTING RANDOM COLOR COMMENTATOR NONSENSE??? Those are completely contradictory. And, no, Aldo was not fighting not to lose. If anything, he was way overconfident and assuming he'd catch the dude on a counter. There's no insight at all from this idiot.

Andrade in on a single of Rose, Dom: "You can't lift from here." 3 seconds later: Rose is unconscious.

I remember awhile back you and I had an exchange (can't find the posts now) when I said Andrade is going to donkey kong rose after seeing what Esparza did to Rose and what Andrade did to Karolina/Torres. You disagreed and said Rose would pick her apart at a distance because Andrade just plods forward without cutting off the cage.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I think we can call that one a draw.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#767 » by Jasen777 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:12 pm

gigantes wrote:Rose's mistake seems to have been to carry on the sub attempt too long instead of dropping it or repositioning herself for the slam.

Could have been a mistake relaying on sub attempts instead of a more traditional wrestling defense. Then again, maybe her takedown defense wouldn't have been good enough.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#768 » by Jasen777 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Slo wrote: I dont want to be the mom police now but if that throw lands on a slightly different angle that can be life ending, or if youre in luck you end up "only" in a wheelchair :-?

It certainly could have been very bad.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,635

Post#769 » by lilfishi22 » Sun May 12, 2019 11:50 pm

That slam is way more uncomfortable to watch imo than it is seeing old school 12-6 elbows

I'm kind of glad to see Rose lose not because I don't like but because I think it was mantle that she couldn't really mentally carry. She seems like a bit of a free spirit that isn't comfortable with having a target on her back. That being said, she was doing really well with her movement and striking and was probably cruising to a decision win. She did everything right, including counters to Andrade picking her up for the slam but it was just in that last second decision making where she made a mistake and held on rather than adjust.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#770 » by cowboyronnie » Thu May 16, 2019 2:55 am

Lil Nog last weekend...**** Herb Dean...Nog ate two totally unnecessary punches, head bouncing off the canvas, for no reason but that Herb was way out of position. This isn't an issue of a momentary call. This is just not being attentive. Opponent landed a right, pushed Nog back, Herb didn't close the distance between himself and the fighters. **** idiot. Get this guy out of MMA.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Non-threadworthy UFC Events Thread 

Post#771 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu May 16, 2019 9:28 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Lil Nog last weekend...**** Herb Dean...Nog ate two totally unnecessary punches, head bouncing off the canvas, for no reason but that Herb was way out of position. This isn't an issue of a momentary call. This is just not being attentive. Opponent landed a right, pushed Nog back, Herb didn't close the distance between himself and the fighters. **** idiot. Get this guy out of MMA.

Is there anything that you actually enjoy about mma ? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Thank you Clutch0z24
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#772 » by REDDzone » Sun May 19, 2019 2:30 am

RDA literally just became my favorite fighter by picking the Bloodsport song as his walkout music. F*cking awesome, welcome to my childhood.

Ha! Felder just gave it a shout-out too. He knows.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#773 » by REDDzone » Sun May 19, 2019 2:58 am

Man. I just want Kevin Lee to be so much better than he is. I was always skeptical of him until the Barboza fight then I was all in. I guess that was just a perfect matchup for him though.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#774 » by Susan » Sun May 19, 2019 1:13 pm

Charles Oliveira is on a streak! Not sure he should ever fight Nik Lentz again tho.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,132

Post#775 » by duppyy » Sun May 19, 2019 1:17 pm

Lee is not as good as he thinks he is. Maybe he needs to train at a better gym.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#776 » by REDDzone » Mon May 20, 2019 1:57 am

Susan wrote:Charles Oliveira is on a streak! Not sure he should ever fight Nik Lentz again tho.

Only way I want to see that run back is if it's on the Jacare/Camozzi undercard.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#777 » by REDDzone » Mon May 20, 2019 1:59 am

duppyy wrote:Lee is not as good as he thinks he is. Maybe he needs to train at a better gym.

You know you're f*cked when you got a fat trainer. I'm a hobbyist pajama wrestler and would change gyms if my head instructor got as fat as his guy, and he's a ufc contender.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#778 » by cowboyronnie » Mon May 20, 2019 2:48 am

REDDzone wrote:
duppyy wrote:Lee is not as good as he thinks he is. Maybe he needs to train at a better gym.

You know you're f*cked when you got a fat trainer. I'm a hobbyist pajama wrestler and would change gyms if my head instructor got as fat as his guy, and he's a ufc contender.

Dewey Cooper? Nah, man, check out this kickboxing record. Definitely the striking coach you want.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewey_Cooper#Kickboxing_record

Also, his pad holding is ridiculously bad. Incomprehensible that he is a coach.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#779 » by cowboyronnie » Mon May 20, 2019 3:12 am

RDA, still hanging in there as a force to be reckoned with, man. I don't remember the Usman fight but I've watched that Colby fight and it was pretty respectable. IIRC, the Khabib and Ferguson fights were able pretty game. Look at the list of dudes this guy has fought and given Hell to. Every WW short of Woodley and Wonderboy.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#780 » by cowboyronnie » Mon May 20, 2019 4:14 am

That French-canadian woman who beat Anderson just called out Cyborg? Do you think Vegas will actually formalize 1,000,000:1 odds. You bet a million, you make one dollar.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts