Frank Vogel expectations?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Re: Frank Vogel expectations? 

Post#21 » by TKainZero » Mon May 13, 2019 3:05 am

That he will be run out of town before new yeara
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#22 » by Spens1 » Mon May 13, 2019 3:10 am

That he'll suck and he'll be out by the trade deadline.
Lakers24gm
Junior
And1: 118

Post#23 » by Lakers24gm » Mon May 13, 2019 4:01 am

I think he’s going to be good. It mostly depends on free agency. If they sign players like they did last year he will fail. If they sign shooters and players who make sense around Lebron they will be ok. I’m hoping he brings in a young offensive coach who can think the game like it played today. But time will tell.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#24 » by Landsberger » Mon May 13, 2019 2:17 pm

Spens1 wrote:That he'll suck and he'll be out by the trade deadline.

Define suck from just the coaches standpoint.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,390

Post#25 » by Danny Darko » Mon May 13, 2019 5:12 pm

A couple questions I have:

1- he's reported like many coaches and doesn't play kids, however the young core is largely coming into their 3rd/4th years now. If he actually treats then like rookies that would be a real problem. Also I think Ownership either wants them to play for the good of the play or the trade value, so I doubt this is an issue outside of if we keep our pick.

2- Are we rolling with his offense or kids or a what is the plan there? I would guess his.

3- when is the presser? or do the lakers not talk to media anymore?
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,598

Post#26 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon May 13, 2019 5:30 pm

Visiting Orlando Magic fan here. Any expectations regarding Defense from Vogel is not warranted. He was horrible defensively for us. Clifford was able to produce a top 10 defense for the Magic with the same exact roster whereas Vogel couldn't get the team to stop anyone. Schemes and substitutions were horrid. Offensively, team wasn't that bad. I think Vogel gets lumped with the solid defense crowd because of the good years he had with Hibbert and Paul George in their prime. He had solid defensive players. Just saying, if the team doesn't play good defense already, Vogel himself is not going to get them to play better, it will be up to the GM to get he players or the players themselves to improve defense. Vogel is not one to hold players accountable and is more of a players coach. Players will like him, but he didn't inspire anybody that I saw to achieve greater heights outside of Aaron Gordon maybe. He will fit good with Lebron as it will be Lebrons team and scheme. Vogel just needs to stay out of the way and do whatever Lebron wants him to do.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,390

Post#27 » by Danny Darko » Mon May 13, 2019 6:20 pm

I've been trying to get a feel for who this guy is and so far this exit interview is fairly interesting.
He covers:
small ball new nba concepts vs his Indiana success
What he wants out of a gm/fo
some pretty point blank opinions on players making bad decisions
and a little on analytics and player development

https://www.nba.com/magic/videos/frank-vogel/exit-interviews-20170413
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,661

Post#28 » by dockingsched » Mon May 13, 2019 8:17 pm

Danny Darko wrote:I've been trying to get a feel for who this guy is and so far this exit interview is fairly interesting.
He covers:
small ball new nba concepts vs his Indiana success
What he wants out of a gm/fo
some pretty point blank opinions on players making bad decisions
and a little on analytics and player development

https://www.nba.com/magic/videos/frank-vogel/exit-interviews-20170413

This was a good listen. Has a lot on his thoughts about adjusting to the new switch and spread nba. Liked when he straight up said the defensive scheme they used in Indy just wouldn’t work anymore.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#29 » by Spens1 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:58 pm

Landsberger wrote:

Just completely ineffective in implementing what he wants to do.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#30 » by Landsberger » Tue May 14, 2019 2:13 pm

Spens1 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

Just completely ineffective in implementing what he wants to do.

So you know what he wants to do and that it will fail within hours of his agreeing to coach the Lakers. I'll add that you know nothing about what team he'll have, or how the players will respond to him yet you are positive he'll fail by the trade deadline.

Seems reactionary to me.
Slink
Bench Warmer
And1: 965

Post#31 » by Slink » Wed May 15, 2019 2:45 am

Expectations are keeping the coach's seat warm for Kidd.
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#32 » by john248 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:38 am

Part of the reason why Vogel was let go by the Pacers was because Bird thought he was slow to adapt to a constantly evolving NBA which currently and is trending with smaller line-ups. Bird also credited the defense to Dan Burke, who is still an assistant with the Pacers as a defensive coach. Don't know what to make of his experience with the Magic because it was doomed from the start for him.

Vogel seems like a hindsight 20/20 type rather than a guy who's able to recognize where the league is heading which is odd considering he started in the video room. I don't see this as an upgrade over Walton though I don't necessarily see this as a downgrade either. He just seems like another players coach who will preach some defense and struggle with offensive schemes.

If the front office stabilizes, depending on how this summer goes, and how much LeBron declines, Vogel gets to keep his job until LeBron's play falls off or until LBJ's contract expires. That is so long as there's not as much drama as their was last season. However, that's asking a lot.
The Last Word

Return to Los Angeles Lakers