Michael Porter Jr. Fully Cleared, Will Play In Summer League

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Michael Porter Jr. Fully Cleared, Will Play In Summer League 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon May 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Michael Porter Jr. has been fully cleared for all basketball related activities and expects to play in Summer League.

"I can't wait for that," said Porter.

Porter said he also could have played towards the end of the 18-19 season.

Porter was the 14th overall pick in the 2018 NBA Draft. Porter underwent a second back surgery in July of last year.

Porter said he's no longer feeling pain in his back.

Via Mike Singer/Denver Post

Priest24
Pro Prospect
And1: 830

Re: Michael Porter Jr. Fully Cleared, Will Play In Summer League 

Post#2 » by Priest24 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:46 pm

Nuggets gonna be a problem next year if this dude pans out.
My opinion may not be your opinion or their opinion but I have it.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,962

Post#3 » by Cassius » Mon May 13, 2019 7:54 pm

Priest24 wrote:Nuggets gonna be a problem next year if this dude pans out.

Yup. As long as Millsap refuses to age, SF was the only weak point in the roster and this guy could be as good as anyone else on their team.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,873

Post#4 » by deeps6x » Mon May 13, 2019 8:47 pm

Love that picture. That should be the one the team shows in game when listing his stats.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#5 » by RipCityKJ » Mon May 13, 2019 10:10 pm

After watching the blazers battle in 7 games of brutal basketball the thought of the Nuggets getting better should scare the whole league. Even if Durant and klay come back I honestly think Denver will be the team to beat and for a long time to come if they keep their core together. Murray is streaky but when he’s hot he’s hard to stop and Harris is a great defender.
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#6 » by arasu » Mon May 13, 2019 11:22 pm

Cassius wrote:

Yup. As long as Millsap refuses to age, SF was the only weak point in the roster and this guy could be as good as anyone else on their team.

They should probably pick up Millsap's $30 million team option for his age 34 season, or better yet, sign him to a more cap friendly 3 year deal. He is clearly not 'refusing to age' and in decline, though his playoff run was solid. He turns 35 in February, and may have only 1 or 2 decent postseason runs left in him. I'm not taking away anything from Millsap, but his future role could be shrinking.

Even without Millsap, the Nuggets would be covered at both forward spots with some depth to spare. If Porter becomes a star, Milsap's importance diminishes substantially. Porter could easily fill a similar role as Hernangomez, as a stretch combo forward---splitting minutes between the 3 and 4---except he presumably would do that at a star level. Craig played 11% of his regular season minutes and 32% of his postseason minutes at the 4, while Plumlee played 32% and 42% at the 4. With Porter, Craig, and Plumlee fully capable of absorbing all of the minutes at PF, Millsap could be seen as expendable. While SF could be seen as a 'weak point' for the Nuggets, they showed to be very deep on the wing, and barely had enough minutes to go around. Barton played the majority of his minutes at SF, including 93% of them in the playoffs. While Barton had a poor showing, he is signed through the '21-'22 season for a combined $41 million, and may be expected to play SF again next season. Ideally, having Craig, Millsap, and Jokic starting, with Barton, Porter, and Plumlee off the bench would create massive depth and positional flexibility, and with the additional big guards they have, Barton could be expendable as well.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#7 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Tue May 14, 2019 2:23 am

He is really repping that hat to the fullest in the above pic.
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,962

Post#8 » by Cassius » Tue May 14, 2019 12:54 pm

arasu wrote:
Cassius wrote:

They should probably pick up Millsap's $30 million team option for his age 34 season, or better yet, sign him to a more cap friendly 3 year deal. He is clearly not 'refusing to age' and in decline, though his playoff run was solid. He turns 35 in February, and may have only 1 or 2 decent postseason runs left in him. I'm not taking away anything from Millsap, but his future role could be shrinking.

Even without Millsap, the Nuggets would be covered at both forward spots with some depth to spare. If Porter becomes a star, Milsap's importance diminishes substantially. Porter could easily fill a similar role as Hernangomez, as a stretch combo forward---splitting minutes between the 3 and 4---except he presumably would do that at a star level. Craig played 11% of his regular season minutes and 32% of his postseason minutes at the 4, while Plumlee played 32% and 42% at the 4. With Porter, Craig, and Plumlee fully capable of absorbing all of the minutes at PF, Millsap could be seen as expendable. While SF could be seen as a 'weak point' for the Nuggets, they showed to be very deep on the wing, and barely had enough minutes to go around. Barton played the majority of his minutes at SF, including 93% of them in the playoffs. While Barton had a poor showing, he is signed through the '21-'22 season for a combined $41 million, and may be expected to play SF again next season. Ideally, having Craig, Millsap, and Jokic starting, with Barton, Porter, and Plumlee off the bench would create massive depth and positional flexibility, and with the additional big guards they have, Barton could be expendable as well.

Great analysis. I’d hope he agrees to a three year descending deal for maybe 50 million, but a partial guarantee on year three, so he gets his original money and only the last year he might forfeit 7-8 million at most. I look at Millsap next year the way Danny Green has been a boon to the Raptors this season. His role might shrink, but Paul has to be completely reliable in those minutes or you’re looking at a rotation that isn’t title ready. If Porter is who we believe him to be, the Nuggets should be talking NBA Finals, especially if KD leaves.

Assuming MPJ comes out and has even a Kuzma-level of impact (not raw numbers), I’m not sure what anyone can do with them defensively... which is again where Millsap is crucial to anchoring their defence on the other end. If that’s MPJ’s floor, then anything above that is scary.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.

Return to Wiretap Discussion