ImageImageImageImage

Lol Vogel head coach of the Lakers

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Re: Lol Vogel head coach of the Lakers 

Post#21 » by basketballRob » Sun May 12, 2019 11:03 pm

He didn't get a lot of help from the Magic as far as getting experienced assistants who may of cost more. I actually remember him complaining that he not only had to train the players in a new system but he had to train his assistants too.

Plus he had to endure a lot of injuries.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#22 » by basketballRob » Sun May 12, 2019 11:09 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:I expect him to do a decent job in that scenario. He failed in Orlando because he just isn’t a developmental coach. Cliff is and has already done great for us but we have seen in Charlotte that there is a hard cap on how far his style can take us. Vogel has a different approach which has proven successful when he has the star power.

The Lakers however are in a no man’s land. They have Lebron but they are also trying to develop a number of young players ... most importantly Lonzo. For that reason I think the addiction of Jason Kidd is great.

Ultimately is comes down to chemistry. If Vogel and Kidd can clearly define their respective roles without stepping on toes and Lebron gets on board then it will work out well. If not ... they will be looking for another coach soon.
Cliff had a staff that was together for 6 years and that's a huge advantage.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#23 » by RickB-Orlando » Mon May 13, 2019 2:08 am

And I'll admit that I thought signing Vogel was going to nbe a great move for the Magic...and it obviously didn't work out that way. I thought he was an under-appreciated coach and to be perfectly honest, it wouldn't have surprised me for him to have displayed SVG-like coaching skills.

At the end of the day, we all know the Lakers will sign at least one quality free agent, maybe two, or make a significant trade, or some other move, or some combination thereof. They'll end up with another star plus a solid third player and LeBron (as much as he irritates me) is still good enough to lead such a package to a very successful season. Vogel will end up looking a lot better than he did here, where he needed to actually drive the growth and make the team better.

That's what I expect anyway.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,742

Post#24 » by Audi » Mon May 13, 2019 2:31 am

What’s hilarious is every article I’ve seen states “Frank Vogel, former coach of the Indiana Pacers”, as if we never happened.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#25 » by fendilim » Mon May 13, 2019 2:46 am

Audi wrote:What’s hilarious is every article I’ve seen states “Frank Vogel, former coach of the Indiana Pacers”, as if we never happened.

Yeah, even ESPN put out a graphic and disregarded VOgel's time in Orlando. haha
Bonafide89
Junior
And1: 160

Post#26 » by Bonafide89 » Mon May 13, 2019 4:08 am

fendilim wrote:
Audi wrote:What’s hilarious is every article I’ve seen states “Frank Vogel, former coach of the Indiana Pacers”, as if we never happened.

Yeah, even ESPN put out a graphic and disregarded VOgel's time in Orlando. haha
I'm really starting to see that the mainstream media and non Magic fans are giving Vogel a pass for his horrible time in Orlando.

If his time here is ever brought up...it's suggested that those years shouldn't count against him because the we were a rebuilding team that was horribly run by previous management with no direction. And people love to bring up all the injuries we suffered.

And many point at a reason he was fired was because WeltHam wanted to bring in their own guy

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Anti Chalmers
Analyst
And1: 2,856

Post#27 » by Anti Chalmers » Mon May 13, 2019 11:08 am

I’ll give him a pass for his time here in Orlando. He proven that he could build a playoff team in Indiana. No one could’ve win with that team we had a few years ago.
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,297

Post#28 » by NotACat » Mon May 13, 2019 1:34 pm

Anti Chalmers wrote:I’ll give him a pass for his time here in Orlando. He proven that he could build a playoff team in Indiana. No one could’ve win with that team we had a few years ago.

Regardless of the win/loss record, he didn't show anything to prove he was a competent coach. No lineup changes, putting players in different position to succeed. His only change was starting Biz over Vuc lol
Black Lives Matter
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,650

Post#29 » by j-ragg » Mon May 13, 2019 3:04 pm

Anti Chalmers wrote:I’ll give him a pass for his time here in Orlando. He proven that he could build a playoff team in Indiana. No one could’ve win with that team we had a few years ago.

How much different do you think the team he coached versus the team we have today is?
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#30 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon May 13, 2019 4:15 pm

Knightro wrote:I’m wishing Frank a lot of luck because he’s going to need it.

Glad to see he’s still a spineless worm though. How much of a cuck do you have to be to willingly allow your inevitable replacement to be forced onto your staff?

I guess his rationale is that there’s only 30 of these jobs and it’s better to have one that not have one even if the circumstances are less than ideal.

As he showed here, he is not very sharp. Within months there will be rumors of internal strife and Kidd taking over. Hope the money is worth it Frank!
aka: prorl
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Post#31 » by magicman112 » Mon May 13, 2019 5:16 pm

NotACat wrote:

Regardless of the win/loss record, he didn't show anything to prove he was a competent coach. No lineup changes, putting players in different position to succeed. His only change was starting Biz over Vuc lol

And the fact that Clifford took virtually the same exact roster to the playoffs in his first season.
J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 298

Post#32 » by J the Drafter » Mon May 13, 2019 10:52 pm

Clifford didn’t have to deal with the injury stuff Vogel was stuck with. Seriously, the biggest difference between the losing years and our playoff run was how no one missed several weeks worth of games this time.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#33 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue May 14, 2019 12:09 am

magicman112 wrote:
NotACat wrote:

And the fact that Clifford took virtually the same exact roster to the playoffs in his first season.

And, the fact the Magic were a noticeably better team the year before and the year after Vogel was Coach.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,067

Post#34 » by SOUL » Tue May 14, 2019 12:19 am

Vogel had more injuries to work with but he did nothing inspiring with his rotations or lineups. Looked like a sad puppy when times got hard and always had the same excuses.
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#35 » by paperboymafia » Tue May 14, 2019 8:15 am

I wish him well, honestly. But I can't help but feel we'll see Kidd take over by the All star game.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#36 » by SD2042 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:58 pm

woosah wrote:I'm more puzzled why the just HAD to attach Jason Kidd to the position. It was rumored to be part of the reason Lue soured on them.

Vogel aged 10 years in 2 with the magic. He's about to take the stress to the next level. I don't know if he's gonna make it through the contract.

The move with Kidd as the assistant said to Lue that in the event he screws up, Kidd will be waiting in the wings. That's not a move that spells confidence in your new hire.

That being said, I still do not see Lue as a coach overall in-spite of having a chip under his belt.

Plus the Lakers will be a dumpster fire for the seeable future with the JennieBuss and the Rambis duo pulling the strings. I'm no LBJ fan, but if I'm him, get out from that sunken place.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#37 » by SD2042 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:57 pm

Max Power wrote:Tyronn Lue was never the coach of the Cavs, Lebron was. Tyronn Lue knew that, David Blatt didn’t. That’s why he was fired. I like to compare Tyronn Lue to the fake car driver in the Men in Black films. He was hired to stand on the sideline, point and argue with refs.

You said a mouthful.
Flannerz
Pro Prospect
And1: 499

Post#38 » by Flannerz » Wed May 15, 2019 1:53 pm

Nice gig for Vogel. A few months coaching in LA and then a big payoff. Nice work if you can get it.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#39 » by basketballRob » Wed May 15, 2019 4:36 pm

Vogel is a genius because they got the fourth pick!

Funny how luck can make you appear better.

Just like if Hennigan won the lottery twice we would have thought he was a genius.
npiper17
General Manager
And1: 2,337

Post#40 » by npiper17 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:50 pm

I guess some people still think Jason Kidd can coach. Looking forward to seeing Lebron run into him deliberately on the sideline.

Return to Orlando Magic