ImageImageImageImage

Mo Bamba's future with Orlando?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Re: Mo Bamba's future with Orlando? 

Post#121 » by Skin » Sun May 12, 2019 7:03 am

I don't think enough people here believe how much potential Bamba has or how fast he can fulfill it.

There's a total fear factor that we will not become a good team without Vuc.

Bamba will look a lot better next season on his own development but if we have a playmaking pg he will look even better.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,124

Post#122 » by pepe1991 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:59 am

You can also improve and develop while playing off bench... Harden didn't start until his 4th season
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Skin
RealGM

Post#123 » by Skin » Sun May 12, 2019 11:23 am

pepe1991 wrote:You can also improve and develop while playing off bench... Harden didn't start until his 4th season

That is not the case scenario that we want to follow. That was one of the worst moves of all time. They treated him like a 6th man. Because OKC really didn't know what they had and Harden was itching to get out to stretch his wings, they let him go. The very next year he leaves OKC he becomes an All Star. Good grief.
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#124 » by pepe1991 » Sun May 12, 2019 11:43 am

Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:You can also improve and develop while playing off bench... Harden didn't start until his 4th season

That is not the case scenario that we want to follow. That was one of the worst moves of all time. They treated him like a 6th man. Because OKC really didn't know what they had and Harden was itching to get out to stretch his wings, they let him go. The very next year he leaves OKC he becomes an All Star. Good grief.

Actually they moved him because they overvalued and overpayed Ibaka.
Same Ibaka was later overvalued by Orlando Magic and Toronto Raptors.

They didn't value him as 6th man, he played 31,4 mpg in 3rd year. Daequan Cook was "starter" but averaged 17 mpg ( him and Sefalosha were starting ,but both barley played extended min ).

Overall OKC decision was made based on idea that Ibaka " defensive big" is more important than another scorer. And given that in that moment OKC was smallest market in NBA, money played major role in decision.

If anything , moral of OKC story is that players like Ibaka " defenders, rim protectors" are nowhere near as valuable as players who can play with ball in their hands.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,152

Post#125 » by swarlesbarkley » Sun May 12, 2019 8:05 pm

Skin wrote:Bamba will look a lot better next season on his own development but if we have a playmaking pg he will look even better.

That's where I'm at. If Fultz comes in and is the playmaking PG we need, Vuc will definitely look better but Bamba would probably look great too.

We've got a lot riding on Fultz (or finding a playing PG in the draft/FA).
Skin
RealGM

Post#126 » by Skin » Tue May 14, 2019 5:51 am

When this becomes the norm instead of rookie flashes, the Magic will start to become a team to be feared.

Read on Twitter
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Post#127 » by magicman112 » Tue May 14, 2019 4:50 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:

They didn't value him as 6th man, he played 31,4 mpg in 3rd year. Daequan Cook was "starter" but averaged 17 mpg ( him and Sefalosha were starting ,but both barley played extended min ).

Overall OKC decision was made based on idea that Ibaka " defensive big" is more important than another scorer. And given that in that moment OKC was smallest market in NBA, money played major role in decision.

If anything , moral of OKC story is that players like Ibaka " defenders, rim protectors" are nowhere near as valuable as players who can play with ball in their hands.

Yes. I also think they should have just rolled with him and see what happened the next summer. They were coming off a Finals appearance for chrissakes just keep the team intact and worry about Harden's free agency after that season.
Skin
RealGM

Post#128 » by Skin » Tue May 14, 2019 5:49 pm

magicman112 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:That is not the case scenario that we want to follow. That was one of the worst moves of all time. They treated him like a 6th man. Because OKC really didn't know what they had and Harden was itching to get out to stretch his wings, they let him go. The very next year he leaves OKC he becomes an All Star. Good grief.

Yes. I also think they should have just rolled with him and see what happened the next summer. They were coming off a Finals appearance for chrissakes just keep the team intact and worry about Harden's free agency after that season.

I forgot about this post from pepe. OKC obviously had financial concerns over giving Harden a new contract, but their mistake wasn't Ibaka. It was trading for Kendrick Perkins. If they didn't do that, then they would've easily afforded Harden. Perkins never delivered what they wanted.

All that said, they still would've kept Harden if they knew what they had with hindsight 20/20 even if it put them into luxury tax territory because Harden is just THAT good. Simply put, they never gave him a chance to be a full time starter and they made the biggest mistake in their franchise history in deciding to trade him away.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#129 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue May 14, 2019 5:56 pm

Skin wrote:I don't think enough people here believe how much potential Bamba has or how fast he can fulfill it.

Bamba will look a lot better next season on his own development but if we have a playmaking pg he will look even better.

You use the "Will" statement like it is a given. He could still end up Nerlens Noel. That is why you need a backup plan aka Vooch.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Skin
RealGM

Post#130 » by Skin » Tue May 14, 2019 6:16 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Skin wrote:I don't think enough people here believe how much potential Bamba has or how fast he can fulfill it.

You use the "Will" statement like it is a given. He could still end up Nerlens Noel. That is why you need a backup plan aka Vooch.

This is ridiculous. Noel can't shoot past his nose. He has no instinct for scoring. Bamba is way more capable offensively. ...and Bamba is waaaaaay longer. Noel has a 7'4" wingspan... Bamba is 7'10"!!!

Any FA vet willing to take a 2 year with a 3rd year Team Option deal will do. INCLUDING VOOCH.

I'm all in if Vuc will sign that kind of deal. It could be 2 year, $75M for all I care. I just don't want him here long enough that he'll be in the way of Bamba starting by his 3rd year. Make that 3rd year declining to around $15M which will be tradeable in the 3rd season and we can dump him by the deadline.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,226

Post#131 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue May 14, 2019 7:08 pm

Vuc’s back up. :wink:
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#132 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:36 pm

Skin wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

This is ridiculous. Noel can't shoot past his nose. He has no instinct for scoring. Bamba is way more capable offensively. ...and Bamba is waaaaaay longer. Noel has a 7'4" wingspan... Bamba is 7'10"!!!

Any FA vet willing to take a 2 year with a 3rd year Team Option deal will do. INCLUDING VOOCH.

I'm all in if Vuc will sign that kind of deal. It could be 2 year, $75M for all I care. I just don't want him here long enough that he'll be in the way of Bamba starting by his 3rd year. Make that 3rd year declining to around $15M which will be tradeable in the 3rd season and we can dump him by the deadline.

Noel can't shoot but at least he is aware of it. Bamba can't shoot yet shoots, witch hurts his value as a player.

There is no objective reason why somebody who shoots 57% FTs and 30% for 3 ( and around 30% from mid range in general ) should attemp shots outside 3 feet.
20 out of 21 of his 3 points made was assisted and not a single one was contested ,witch says a lot about him being offensive weapon or treat. Defense simply ignores him.

Noel is smaller but much faster and always had ability to switch on defense on elite level. Bamba even on defense looked pretty bad. Granted, his wingspan will always allow him to be amazing shotblocker, but shotblocking does not mean good defense, as most of blocked shots result in inbound play for other team.

In general this 3 point frenzy for centers is huge mistake especially on start of their career.
In sport where target hangs in the air, being 7 footer and waisting your size on mediocre shooting for 3 is not best way how to use your size. Also how many Cs are even good at shooting 3s?
Horford and Lopez? And that "good" is 36% - league's average. Also Horford is barley 6'10, just to slow to play anything else but C.

System, coach and players around that players determine will their career take Frye - Maker path of Lopez , Horford path based on success of a team, not their invidiual success. Lopez shooting 3s on Lakers ment literally nothing for a team because they had A TON of other issues. It also destroyed his value as former allstar signed 1 year, $2,8M deal. Laughable. Same with him shooting 3s on Nets.
Frye on Suns was secret weapon, Frye on Magic was waste of time and salary.
Horford is painted as some great shooter but in his whole career he never averaged more than 1,3 threes made a game. So why would you guard him during 7 games series when you know for fact that his volumen on 3s does not exist? He'll take them only if there is no other option.

Mo Bamba as it is right now, has no business doing anything else outside paint until he becomes good enough screener and pick&roll rolling man. And once he is done that , he can expend his game, for start, by improving horrendus FT% that is worst than Dwight's rookie season.
If he keeps camping at 3 point line , on team with such a poor wing and guard players like Magic have, he is bound to be Maker vol 2 because his shooting will mean nothing to team and it will just hurt his value and his development. And because of lack of success of a team, he will be viewed as failure.

My whole point is that Cs who shoots 3s only have value on teams that need specific player to do specific thing well enough to help. Horford and Lopez are not first or second or even third options on their teams, they just keep defense honest by camping on 3 point line. On bad teams they would look just like Lopez looked year before and how Speights and Frye looked on Magic.

Look at Embiid, him standing on 3 point line to help Simmons is travisty and biggest waste of talent you can imagine.

That's why i think this "Vučević shoots 3s now he is good" logic was always stupid. Him shooting 3s is just bonus to other things he does well.
You CAN'T be good PG without jumpshot and you can't be good SG,SF or even PF without some sort of jumpshot ( well, if your name isn't Giannis ) , but you can be great C without shooting from outside. When you go through history, up until Embiid not a single C was shooting 3s. And again, guy CAN shoot some threes, but you can't have him shooting 1/3 of all FGA from 27 feet when he is bigger, longer, stronger and better postup player than any person on a planet Earth.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,072

Post#133 » by SOUL » Tue May 14, 2019 8:46 pm

I don't agree with that take, pepe. First of all, his sample size is very small. The month before he got hurt, his averages improved, so it's not like we can't say he might have improved on both areas as the season progressed because his play was starting to get better as far as knowing where to be before he got injured.

I will take 30% three point shooting from a rookie big who really started working on that shot only from one offseason. He shot it in Texas but not as often. His Texas FT shooting was near 70%, so obviously that will have to be better, but again, not a huge sample size and historically rookies are just not that reliable as FT shooters. I mean, Doncic was barely over 70%. His form looks fine. Just needs the repetition and to calm the nerves.

NOW if what you're saying is he shouldn't ignore the paint/post moves/getting bigger down low just to shoot those long twos/threes/etc I agree. But I don't look at that shooting as an issue or a problem just because it didn't look bad coming out of his hands, like he was Gobert or DeAndre Jordan trying to shoot. He just needs to pick his spots better and have a mixture of an in and out game.
Skin
RealGM

Post#134 » by Skin » Tue May 14, 2019 8:58 pm

Bamba is just a little pup. When he becomes a force pepe will change his mind.
Skin
RealGM

Post#135 » by Skin » Tue May 14, 2019 9:05 pm

SOUL wrote:I don't agree with that take, pepe. First of all, his sample size is very small. The month before he got hurt, his averages improved, so it's not like we can't say he might have improved on both areas as the season progressed because his play was starting to get better as far as knowing where to be before he got injured.

I will take 30% three point shooting from a rookie big who really started working on that shot only from one offseason. He shot it in Texas but not as often. His Texas FT shooting was near 70%, so obviously that will have to be better, but again, not a huge sample size and historically rookies are just not that reliable as FT shooters. I mean, Doncic was barely over 70%. His form looks fine. Just needs the repetition and to calm the nerves.

NOW if what you're saying is he shouldn't ignore the paint/post moves/getting bigger down low just to shoot those long twos/threes/etc I agree. But I don't look at that shooting as an issue or a problem just because it didn't look bad coming out of his hands, like he was Gobert or DeAndre Jordan trying to shoot. He just needs to pick his spots better and have a mixture of an in and out game.

"Development" is not a concept that he understands. Everything is "show me what he did, that's all he is".
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#136 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:14 pm

SOUL wrote:I don't agree with that take, pepe. First of all, his sample size is very small. The month before he got hurt, his averages improved, so it's not like we can't say he might have improved on both areas as the season progressed because his play was starting to get better as far as knowing where to be before he got injured.

Mo also shot 68% FTs at college and only made 14 threes (on 51 attemp).

But this is not about Bamba, it's about philosophy and new thrends in general.

Success or failure of a team that has shooting C molds perception of value of that player.

Over years guys like Bargnani , Frye, Speights,Maker, Spance Hawes shot 3s , but when you think about them you think about fools and scrubs ,right?
So what's different between them and Lopez and Horford but perception of success of their teams?
Lopez had virtually zero value for anybody last summer. Anybody but Bucks who needed specific, 3 point shooting C to lure last man out to give Giannis and other shooters space. I'm pretty sure most of the league would not enjoy 4 rpg , 7 three point attemps C who brings almost nothing else to the table but high volumen chucking at this point. Yet it works for them. We know for fact on Nets it did not work ( 20 wins ) and on Lakers it did not work ( limited to 23 mpg ).

Horford's biggest value as a player is passing , not shooting. He just developed his shot to be triple treat in pick&roll/pop. But he lacks any volumen. Despite shooting 37% for 3 for career do you know how many threes he was wide open ? 65 out of 73 he made . Despite him being always wide open , unlike guards, he still only shoots 36% on wide open jumpers ( where elite shooters knock them down at 43-48% rate ) .

And they are only 2 Cs that shoot at respectful level to even talk about.
Davis 31% for 3 for career, why even try if you can dominate from virtually any other range ?
Embiid 31% for 3 for career, same as Davis.

IMO them shooting 3s comes down to fact that it's just "modern" and without any other logical explanation why they do it. it's clear that they are not good at it ,it's clear that nobody guards them when they do and therfore it means nothing to their offense ( actually it hurts their offense as they shoot bad shots that they can't hit at respectful rate ) . So why do it aside from fact it's cool?

This 3 point frenzy with big men is same level of hype without substance like notion that you need rim protection to win title 5 years ago so every scrub who could block shot got $17M a year , 4 years deal. Or 10 years ago when teams were offering max contracts to 48% TS " iso scorers" like Marbury and Francis because "that's what Lakers have in Kobe".
Every few years you have new crappy narrative and sheep follow .

In context for Bamba, as i said, this summer he should only squat, deadlift, work on post moves, work on finishing around rim with both hands and being able to post up much smaller players. Make FTs. Once he can do it at high level,his game will be next level.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#137 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:22 pm

Skin wrote:

"Development" is not a concept that he understands. Everything is "show me what he did, that's all he is".

My comment had little to do with Bamba, but with him shooting. And bigs shooting 3s.
Much like 99% of the bigs, he should not be shootig 3s until he learns how to shoot in general, but even learning how to shoot, with addition of muscles in his arms, probably won't be most cost and time efficient thing to. Knowing how much things he has to work on first , like adding strenght ,muscles, post moves, setting screens, pick&roll movment, strenght, stamina and durability in legs...

Also if you drafted 7'10 wingspan center who is 7'1 , to shoot 3s than you are out of your mind or you want to challenge Billy King as worst GM in basketball history.
It's like drafting Iverson to decide to use him as post up center ... LIke , what an actual f**k?
Instincts
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#138 » by Instincts » Tue May 14, 2019 9:31 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

Noel can't shoot but at least he is aware of it. Bamba can't shoot yet shoots, witch hurts his value as a player.

There is no objective reason why somebody who shoots 57% FTs and 30% for 3 ( and around 30% from mid range in general ) should attemp shots outside 3 feet.
20 out of 21 of his 3 points made was assisted and not a single one was contested ,witch says a lot about him being offensive weapon or treat. Defense simply ignores him.

Noel is smaller but much faster and always had ability to switch on defense on elite level. Bamba even on defense looked pretty bad. Granted, his wingspan will always allow him to be amazing shotblocker, but shotblocking does not mean good defense, as most of blocked shots result in inbound play for other team.

In general this 3 point frenzy for centers is huge mistake especially on start of their career.
In sport where target hangs in the air, being 7 footer and waisting your size on mediocre shooting for 3 is not best way how to use your size. Also how many Cs are even good at shooting 3s?
Horford and Lopez? And that "good" is 36% - league's average. Also Horford is barley 6'10, just to slow to play anything else but C.

System, coach and players around that players determine will their career take Frye - Maker path of Lopez , Horford path based on success of a team, not their invidiual success. Lopez shooting 3s on Lakers ment literally nothing for a team because they had A TON of other issues. Same with him shooting 3s on Nets.
Frye on Suns was secret weapon, Frye on Magic was waste of time and salary.

Mo Bamba as it is right now, has no business doing anything else outside paint until he becomes good enough screener and pick&roll rolling man. And once he is done that , he can expend his game, for start, by improving horrendus FT% that is worst than Dwight's rookie season.
If he keeps camping at 3 point line , on team with such a poor wing and guard players like Magic have, he is bound to be Maker vol 2 because his shooting will mean nothing to team and it will just hurt his value. And because of lack of success of a team, he will be viewed as failure.

My whole point is that Cs who shoots 3s only have value on teams that need specific player to do specific thing well enough to help. Horford and Lopez are not first or second or even third options on their teams, they just keep defense honest by camping on 3 point line.

That's why i think this "Vučević shoots 3s now he is good" logic was always stupid. Him shooting 3s is just bonus to other things he does well.

The concern with Bamba has always been motor and instincts (offensively and defensively). These are not the ideal issues to try to overcome, not that it is impossible, and it is early, but I have yet to see anything that clearly shows he will overcome these issues, not that I would ever have expected anything from him before year 3 to 4. He is a raw (subpar instincts) player with elite physical tools. One positive, even though the 3pt percentage was low, overall I was impressed with the change in release point on his shot.

I don't have a big issue with the Noel comparison as a floor, though slightly different players, if I recall correctly Noel had nice defensive instincts and zero shooting or offensive potential as a young player.

I still begrudgingly hold the same opinion on Bamba as during the draft , I don't think he has as high a risk reward ratio as AG or JI due to the subpar motor and instincts. I would package him for a back court help as possible, if the offers are underwhelming I would take our chances with his development and hope that he reaches the upper end of his wide range.
Skin
RealGM

Post#139 » by Skin » Tue May 14, 2019 9:33 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:

My comment had little to do with Bamba, but with him shooting. And bigs shooting 3s.
Much like 99% of the bigs, he should not be shootig 3s until he learns how to shoot in general, but even learning how to shoot, with addition of muscles in his arms, probably won't be most cost and time efficient thing to. Knowing how much things he has to work on first , like adding strenght ,muscles, post moves, setting screens, pick&roll movment, strenght, stamina and durability in legs...

Also if you drafted 7'10 wingspan center who is 7'1 , to shoot 3s than you are out of your mind or you want to challenge Billy King as worst GM in basketball history.
It's like drafting Iverson to decide to use him as post up center ... LIke , what an actual f**k?

I guess your'e not really in tune with the direction the league is going...
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#140 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:54 pm

Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:"Development" is not a concept that he understands. Everything is "show me what he did, that's all he is".

I guess your'e not really in tune with the direction the league is going...

You need your team to shoot 3s, but you don't need every player on your roster to shoot them, but ones who are good at it.
That's my problem with this. It's style over substance ( and logic) . Why would you want bad shooter to shoot more if he can improve on things he is actually decent at ?

Again,why draft 7'10 wingspan , 7 footer if your goal is to have him do nothing with that size but shoot 3s? Why not just trade pick for Markkanen ( or Turner ) who you at least know is capable of doing it? Or trading all the way out of lottery for Mo Wagner, who was decent college 3 point shooter?

As i said, 3 point frenzy for Cs is mirror lunacy of " rim protection" frenzy from few years ago. Just bunch of copycats that see something works for contender so try to mimic it by failing to understand it works because other, fundamental differences like difference between best player being Giannis and second best being MIddleton, vs best player being Gordon and second best player being Ross/ Fournier( assuming in this converstation Vuc is gone ).

Funniest part about "streach bigs" is that become popualr after Bosh sucess with Heat. I guess people forgot that two other guys from that roster... That LeSomething guy and Dw..retired one ... No biggy...It has been Bosh 3 point shooting that carried them, not 60 ppg combined from wings that could not shoot

Return to Orlando Magic