Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

benhillboy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,635

Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#1 » by benhillboy » Wed May 15, 2019 3:34 am

I just can’t undertand the comparisons between he and Durant. One guy has better than a 2:1 assist to turnover and a career .436 three point shooter. The other has a 4:3 assist to turn and shoots .381 from three. One is blitzed even without the ball, the other is allowed to iso at will.

The records of one without the other is overwhelmingly in favor of Steph. Steph has led the league in steals twice, KD has barely sniffed All Defense. What am I missing? If it’s Finals MVPs then inject Iggy into the comparison as well.
Admiral-Kizaru
Veteran
And1: 2,487

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#2 » by Admiral-Kizaru » Wed May 15, 2019 3:37 am

benhillboy wrote:I just can’t undertand the comparisons between he and Durant. One guy has better than a 2:1 assist to turnover and a career .436 three point shooter. The other has a 4:3 assist to turn and shoots .381 from three. One is blitzed even without the ball, the other is allowed to iso at will.

The records of one without the other is overwhelmingly in favor of Steph. Steph has led the league in steals twice, KD has barely sniffed All Defense. What am I missing?

This is a hot take but yes, Curry is a better overall Basketball player than Durant. Durant is the better Iso scorer due to his height and ability to draw fouls hence the nickname FT35, but basketball is a team game and Steph simply makes the whole team better while Durant does not to the same level.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#3 » by FNQ » Wed May 15, 2019 3:37 am

Durant is better in isolation and on defense.
Curry is better at making his teammates better and is a better microwave shooter.

Split hairs as you must, define who's better if you must... both are superstars, with different styles. Durant gets more love here, IMO, because he doesnt necessarily need to depend on anyone else to have maximum impact. Curry does.
Strepbacter
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,365

Post#4 » by Strepbacter » Wed May 15, 2019 3:38 am

... knowledge of the Warriors going 10-3 with a +8 MOV without Curry in the post-season?
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#5 » by Prokorov » Wed May 15, 2019 3:43 am

curry didnt leave his team to join a durant lead team that beat him on the way to a title

Curry > durant

durant = bigest coward of all time
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#6 » by Dupp » Wed May 15, 2019 3:43 am

Curry probably needs more ideal situations to be better where as you can plug kd in anywhere and he’ll be better than curry.

Curry was clearly sacrificing for kd but while doing so he can somewhat be taken out of games. Without kd he is video game.

Just further proves kd joining the warriors is the weakest move in sports history.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,349

Post#7 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed May 15, 2019 3:48 am

He's not. Curry takes the majority of the defensive attention and teams bait the Warriors into running the offense through Durant.

**Teams do this because Curry is better**

The Warriors take the bait because Durant is still amazing and Curry is great off the ball. So the Warriors end up with the same results with half the effort.

If teams actually focused Durant and let the offense flow through Curry the Warriors would win every game by 60.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,592

Post#8 » by knicksNOTslick » Wed May 15, 2019 3:48 am

KD is more unstoppable on offense and a much better defender. However, in terms of team impact, Steph can elevate a team that's built around him a lot more than a Durant iso-heavy team. The problem is Steph's impact don't always show up on the stat sheet (hockey assists, ball moving a lot better with him on the floor) and that's why KD will always get the Finals MVP.

Wasn't there a post before of the Warriors record without Durant playing? The team as a whole step up more when they don't have to watch one player try to score while they stand away from the ball.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#9 » by clyde21 » Wed May 15, 2019 3:50 am

Steph has a higher ceiling but a lower floor

Durant has a lower ceiling but a higher floor

whoever is better apparently hinges on whoever had the last best game per RealGM.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,229

Post#10 » by freethedevil » Wed May 15, 2019 3:51 am

Dupp wrote:Curry probably needs more ideal situations to be better where as you can plug kd in anywhere and he’ll be better than curry.

The player who makes his teammates far better is far less reliant on situations than the player who doesn't.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,229

Post#11 » by freethedevil » Wed May 15, 2019 3:52 am

knicksNOTslick wrote:KD is more unstoppable on offense .
When he plays with steph.
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,592

Post#12 » by knicksNOTslick » Wed May 15, 2019 3:56 am

freethedevil wrote:
knicksNOTslick wrote:KD is more unstoppable on offense .
When he plays with steph.

But when you really need a bucket at the end of the game, I would go with KD. He can get his shot off against anyone just like Kawhi.

Steph can be stopped at times, even against a meh defender in Kevin Love.

Steph def has more impact on offense.
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,633

Post#13 » by taikibansei » Wed May 15, 2019 3:58 am

Strepbacter wrote:... knowledge of the Warriors going 10-3 with a +8 MOV without Curry in the post-season?

:crazy:

Maybe not the best argument to make. The Warriors are now 4-0 with a +15 MOV without Durant in the post-season. (I.e., including KD's first post-season with the team.)
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
Middle Child
Pro Prospect
And1: 811

Post#14 » by Middle Child » Wed May 15, 2019 4:00 am

Curry is so damn good.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,369

Post#15 » by Jimmy Recard » Wed May 15, 2019 4:02 am

KD is the better 1 on 1 player, Steph is the better 5 on 5 player if that makes sense.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,534

Post#16 » by Peregrine01 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:03 am

GSW with Curry and without Durant is now 31-4. That’s basically the 73 win season.

Curry is better at KD at the only thing that matters in the end: contributing to his team winning.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,534

Post#17 » by Peregrine01 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:05 am

Jimmy Recard wrote:KD is the better 1 on 1 player, Steph is the better 5 on 5 player if that makes sense.

Almost sounds like Steph is the better basketball player.
jg77
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#18 » by jg77 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:14 am

They're pretty much even
Lou Fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 673

Post#19 » by Lou Fan » Wed May 15, 2019 4:16 am

It astounds me how many smart people on here whose opinion I respect have Durant as the better player. Steph is so clearly the better player. Everything except the box score (and even the box score sometimes) screams steph is the better player. I think it is very telling who opposing defenses want with the ball.

People get too caught up in who do I want taking the last shot or whatever. I agree I would want Durant to take the last shot because all that matters on a last shot is that it goes in wheter from the paint mid range the line or from 3. Durant is the best in the world and maybe even ever at creating a high% look for himself with little time because he literally just has to have the ball within 20 feet and he can just turnaround and shoot and it's a decent look.
smartyz456 wrote:Duncan would be a better defending jahlil okafor in todays nba
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#20 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Wed May 15, 2019 4:21 am

benhillboy wrote:I just can’t undertand the comparisons between he and Durant. One guy has better than a 2:1 assist to turnover and a career .436 three point shooter. The other has a 4:3 assist to turn and shoots .381 from three. One is blitzed even without the ball, the other is allowed to iso at will.

The records of one without the other is overwhelmingly in favor of Steph. Steph has led the league in steals twice, KD has barely sniffed All Defense. What am I missing? If it’s Finals MVPs then inject Iggy into the comparison as well.
Not disagreeing with your premise, but I *hate* when people use steals to argue who is good at defense. It is probably the worst stat to use. Plenty of high steal players get their steals by gambling and being out of position. 1.x steals per game isn't worth it if tons of easy baskets were allowed on all the failed attempts at creating them.

Return to The General Board