Zion Williamson still has until May 29 to Withdraw

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Should He Withdraw

Yes, It will be better for his career
31%
No, New Orleans is the place to be
69%

Total votes: 398

vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Re: Zion Williamson still has until May 29 to Withdraw 

Post#261 » by vaff87 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:44 pm

He's probably just caught off guard because the media was so over-the-top in the their Knicks love that they had him in New York already.
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,034

Post#262 » by RamonSessions7 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:47 pm

vaff87 wrote:He's probably just caught off guard because the media was so over-the-top in the their Knicks love that they had him in New York already.

That ESPN lottery show was such a pile of crap, but it's ESPN.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#263 » by Sprewell4Three » Wed May 15, 2019 12:50 pm

Hephaestus wrote:I'd rather live in NO than in Phoenix or Atlanta.

Phoenix and Atlanta have better younger players that can grow with Zion.
vaff87
RealGM

Post#264 » by vaff87 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:13 pm

Antinomy wrote:
ShazamDaShiznt wrote:
Antinomy wrote:
I’m tired of that franchise. Talent considered, they’re easily the most poorly run organization.

I am tired of them too, they don't deserve these players. And that constant New Orleans appearance in ASG is even worse, made me almost puke last time they hosted it. Bunch of struggle artists and the ambassador of pelicans AD not giving a F

One 50 win season in the past two decades with two all-time greats passing through your franchise. It’s absurd.

It’s one thing to be like the Knicks who swing & miss on big free agents or put together middling teams for a long time. It’s another thing to legitimately have ATG talent on your roster & you STILL can’t do anything significant. Most franchises dream of getting guys like that.

Maybe you should listen to your fellow Bucks fan before making fun of other franchises. You know, the guy that's been a Bucks fan for a long time, and didn't just hop on the bandwagon. Before this year, the Bucks had one 50 win season since 1987.
Antinomy
Head Coach
And1: 7,617

Post#265 » by Antinomy » Wed May 15, 2019 1:17 pm

vaff87 wrote:
Antinomy wrote:
ShazamDaShiznt wrote:
I am tired of them too, they don't deserve these players. And that constant New Orleans appearance in ASG is even worse, made me almost puke last time they hosted it. Bunch of struggle artists and the ambassador of pelicans AD not giving a F

One 50 win season in the past two decades with two all-time greats passing through your franchise. It’s absurd.

It’s one thing to be like the Knicks who swing & miss on big free agents or put together middling teams for a long time. It’s another thing to legitimately have ATG talent on your roster & you STILL can’t do anything significant. Most franchises dream of getting guys like that.

Maybe you should listen to your fellow Bucks fan before making fun of other franchises. You know, the guy that's been a Bucks fan for a long time, and didn't just hop on the bandwagon. Before this year, the Bucks had one 50 win season since 1987.

They’ve also had zero all-time great players in that time period like I’ve stated multiple times in this thread. Pelicans have had 2 in one decade. Maybe you should read.

Also, why are you trying to imply that I “hopped on the bandwagon”?
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,477

Post#266 » by Jon1798 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:28 pm

Antinomy wrote:
FelixD wrote:
Antinomy wrote:
The Pelicans have had AD & CP3 for the past decade plus and only have one 50 win season to show for it. That franchise is the definition of incompetence.

Knicks get so much hate yet they haven’t had that kinda guy since Ewing. Most franchises have never had players like those guys & now NOLA get to ruin another one.

Lakers gets 3 #2 picks, lebron in free agency and still sucks. Magic, Pelinka, Jason Kidd, Rambis,.... Los angeles has become a **** show lmao

Knicks has dolan as a owner... in fact only Sarver is worse than him, their front office is bad too, not player picked in lottery has resigned with them since a lot time.

No doubt the Lakers have been bad. But didn’t mention anything about them.

What about teams like Charlotte or Atlanta? They deserve a shot too.

Pelicans have had 2 ATG players & nothing to show for it. Nothing.

Atlanta picked ahead of the Pelicans in the Chris Paul draft and took Marvin Williams lol. Get out of here with that nonsense.
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,139

Post#267 » by DingleJerry » Wed May 15, 2019 1:31 pm

I didn't read the whole thread but there is absolutely no way he should stay in college. It's just absolutely stupid to turn down this money from the NBA contract but also the 100 mil Nike will give him. It's frankly asinine to even consider it.

I saw some comps to look at AD and KAT, etc. Well, look at Giannis. But also, even looking at AD and KAT I'm sure they're really disappointed in the 250 mil they've made.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
vaff87
RealGM

Post#268 » by vaff87 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:39 pm

Antinomy wrote:
vaff87 wrote:
Antinomy wrote:

They’ve also had zero all-time great players in that time period like I’ve stated multiple times in this thread. Pelicans have had 2 in one decade. Maybe you should read.

How is that an excuse? They drafted Jabari Parker over Embiid, Andrew Bogut over Chris Paul, they traded Dirk for Tractor Traylor, they picked Glenn Robinson over Jason Kidd and Grant Hill...

That's even worse.
BladeKor
Sophomore
And1: 102

Post#269 » by BladeKor » Wed May 15, 2019 1:42 pm

Zion best hope is Pelicans trades him.
Antinomy
Head Coach

Post#270 » by Antinomy » Wed May 15, 2019 1:47 pm

vaff87 wrote:
Antinomy wrote:
vaff87 wrote:

How is that an excuse? They drafted Jabari Parker over Embiid, Andrew Bogut over Chris Paul, they traded Dirk for Tractor Traylor, they picked Glen Robinson over Jason Kidd and Grant Hill...

That's even worse.

It is an excuse. New Orleans has had 2 ATGs in one decade. That’s more than teams like Chicago, Phoenix, LAC, Charlotte, Minnesota, New York, Memphis, ATL etc & New Orleans hasn’t accomplished a damn thing more than they have. That is a complete indictment on that franchise. Some of those teams have never even had a top 10 player in the league at any point.

It’s one level of incompetence to not be able to build a decent team out of mid first round picks & mediocre FA signings. It’s an entirely worse level of incompetence to have legitimate superstars on your roster over the course of a decade plus & only have one 50 win season.
vaff87
RealGM

Post#271 » by vaff87 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Antinomy wrote:
vaff87 wrote:
Antinomy wrote:

How is that an excuse? They drafted Jabari Parker over Embiid, Andrew Bogut over Chris Paul, they traded Dirk for Tractor Traylor, they picked Glen Robinson over Jason Kidd and Grant Hill...

That's even worse.

It is an excuse. New Orleans has had 2 ATGs in one decade. That’s more than teams like Chicago, Phoenix, LAC, Charlotte, Minnesota, New York, Memphis, ATL etc & haven’t accomplished a damn thing more than they have. That is a complete indictment on that franchise.

It’s one level of incompetence to not be able to build a decent team out of mid first round picks & mediocre FA signings. It’s an entirely worse level of incompetence to have legitimate superstars on your roster over the course of a decade plus & only have one 50 win season.

I just told you the Bucks had several chances to draft all time great players and they failed to do so. They drafted Glenn Robinson 1st overall ... Kidd was 2nd, Hill 3rd. They drafted Jabari Parker 2nd ... Embiid was 3rd. They literally had Dirk and traded him for Tractor Traylor. They drafted Bogut 1st and an all time great player went 4th. They have no excuses, they had their chances.
Percentsign
Senior
And1: 652

Post#272 » by Percentsign » Wed May 15, 2019 1:52 pm

I said this in that other thread. He'll look like a snobbish primadonna. People dream about playing in the NBA ... having the talent to make it, getting the money, getting the fame. For a guy who still hasn't accomplished anything or earned any serious money, you can't be picky about the team or the city; regular folks won't relate to him.

People say Zion shouldn't play for Pelicans because Pelicans lack history and prestige. But Pelicans can get history and prestige only by getting people like Zion from the draft. Catch 22?
The KnicksFix
Sixth Man
And1: 1,548

Post#273 » by The KnicksFix » Wed May 15, 2019 1:56 pm

FelixD wrote:LMAO.Its not like Knicks and lakers are less dysfunctional than pelicans. In fact, they(NO) seem more competent than them.

uhhhhh.... this coming from a celtics fan where terry rozier went in on hayward and kyrie yesterday :crazy: :crazy:
Antinomy
Head Coach

Post#274 » by Antinomy » Wed May 15, 2019 1:58 pm

vaff87 wrote:
Antinomy wrote:
vaff87 wrote:

That's even worse.

It is an excuse. New Orleans has had 2 ATGs in one decade. That’s more than teams like Chicago, Phoenix, LAC, Charlotte, Minnesota, New York, Memphis, ATL etc & haven’t accomplished a damn thing more than they have. That is a complete indictment on that franchise.

I just told you the Bucks had several chances to draft all time great players and they failed to do so. They drafted Glenn Robinson 1st overall ... Kidd was 2nd, Hill 3rd. They drafted Jabari Parker 2nd ... Embiid was 3rd. They literally had Dirk and traded him for Tractor Traylor. They drafted Bogut 1st and an all time great player went 4th. They have no excuses, they had their chances.

You’re missing the point completely. You can use the shoulda woulda coulda argument with every team. The draft is a complete crapshoot for the most part. It’s very difficult to project players to the NBA.

Plenty of teams passed on guys like Curry, Kawhi, Klay Thompson, Nash, Dirk, Giannis, Hayward, PG, Gobert, Jokic, etc...That’s just the nature of the draft. Especially when you’re picking in the mid lottery like the Bucks were all those years.

IT IS AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THING to have multiple ATGs pass through your franchise & you STILL aren’t relevant. And you can’t even win 50 games more than once in nearly 2 decades. What are you not understanding?
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,981

Post#275 » by jfs1000d » Wed May 15, 2019 1:59 pm

I love it. Zion withdraws, goes pro in Europe. Comes back next year. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,269

Post#276 » by mtron929 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:01 pm

Percentsign wrote:I said this in that other thread. He'll look like a snobbish primadonna. People dream about playing in the NBA ... having the talent to make it, getting the money, getting the fame. For a guy who still hasn't accomplished anything or earned any serious money, you can't be picky about the team or the city; regular folks won't relate to him.

People say Zion shouldn't play for Pelicans because Pelicans lack history and prestige. But Pelicans can get history and prestige only by getting people like Zion from the draft. Catch 22?

To play the devil's advocate, this type of stuff happens all the time in the "real" world. So it is only the past precedence (or the lack of) that makes him seem like a snobbish primadonna. I think Zion can actually set a trend here. If he forces his way out of New Orleans, then his action would seem like more of the norm in the NBA. That is, #1 overall picks can dictate where they want to play by using every means necessary to make it uncomfortable for the team with the #1 pick. And if it becomes the norm, the NBA would need to adjust accordingly as it would be a disaster for them and the small market teams.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,139

Post#277 » by DingleJerry » Wed May 15, 2019 2:20 pm

IDK, this is so defeatist to me. You're supposed to be this all time great, go play and build a team around you and win as much as you can. Improve as much as you can. Prove yourself. Earn a ton of money. Then reassess a few years down the line.

And note, I'm not some hater on KD/LBJ for leaving and going to where they could win. Just this attitude that since NO hasn't won means they never can and that they can't build a team around him. I mean, NO has done better than the Knicks. Plus NO will have the AD trade return to go with him and do a proper build.

Also, IMO the best thing for him is to not be in the NYC media circus of blowing every little thing out of proportion and stirring up drama. In this era NY doesn't make a huge difference in the marketing money and all that as long as he's good. Plus, he's gonna sign that shoe contract before he even plays and that's the big one anyway.

Of course he's still a human and has feelings so I get if he just wanted to 'go for it' in NYC so to speak and liked the idea of the big stage. Just saying after watching the circus around the Knicks for years and now the Lakers the last 5ish years I'd prefer to be out of that bubble. I was hoping he'd end up in ATL, good young players to pair with and not in a circus media market. Plus it's the most 'home' city for him being from SC
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
The_Original_Baller
Veteran
And1: 112

Post#278 » by The_Original_Baller » Wed May 15, 2019 2:24 pm

There was definitely a media bias last night for Zion to go to the Knicks but let’s be honest, Zion doesn’t want to go to New Orleans. New Orleans isn’t a great city. During the post draft interview Zion said he never been to New Orleans, and tried to push the view that “anything could happen, anyone might get drafted #1” when all night long before he was grinning and smiling when Rachel was saying he was the #1 pick, clearly after he saw it was New Orleans his tune changed. You can’t deny his body language and his resistance on accepting his #1 pick status is because he doesn’t want to go there.
simmons21
Junior
And1: 472

Post#279 » by simmons21 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:32 pm

I hate this nonsense where people talk **** about smaller franchises in the NBA, and try to undermine any success they get. It's always from fans of bigger franchises and casuals that will never experience a threat of team relocation. Zion will like New Orleans just fine. He seems like a good kid, and he was just as surprised in the moment as everyone was.

Basically OP can **** right off.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#280 » by Clay Davis » Wed May 15, 2019 2:36 pm

New Orleans isn't even that bad of a front office. Unfairly maligned.

https://youtu.be/l7LayDyYYE4

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using RealGM mobile app
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.

Return to The General Board