Stephen A. Smith: Hello darkness my old friend

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,080

Re: Stephen A. Smith: Hello darkness my old friend 

Post#21 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed May 15, 2019 2:19 pm

Life as a Knicks fan. I can appreciate Stephen A's passion.

However I do believe it's a miracle we didn't slide to 5 knowing the Knicks are cursed. I'm truly thankful for that.

And I believe RJ might turn out to be the best player in the draft. I obviously wanted Zion, but I've been saying that since the tournament. Of course, Memphis might just draft RJ instead of Morant, whom I'm not sold on.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#22 » by Coeur » Wed May 15, 2019 2:21 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:
Coeur wrote:That guy is such an idiot. He will prob be surprised when Kyrie and KD sign somewhere other than the Knicks.

I actually look forward to his speech after the knicks free agent class is jj reddick, fariq aminu, and Meyers leanord

Scott Perry is not signing those dudes.

Yeah I’m not specifically stuck on those guys. Just that tier of talent and money is how I think they’ll use all that money.

The only guys I’d feel confident enough to put money on the knicks not signing are Durant and to a lesser extent Kyrie.

Problem with betting money on no Durant to NY is that Las Vegas thinks there’s so little of a chance that he will sign with the Knicks that you have to bet 400 dollars to make 100
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#23 » by Sprewell4Three » Wed May 15, 2019 2:21 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:Life as a Knicks fan. I can appreciate Stephen A's passion.

However I do believe it's a miracle we didn't slide to 5 knowing the Knicks are cursed. I'm truly thankful for that.

And I believe RJ might turn out to be the best player in the draft. I obviously wanted Zion, but I've been saying that since the tournament. Of course, Memphis might just draft RJ instead of Morant, whom I'm not sold on.

If we slid to 5, Knicks fans would be on suicide watch. Today is just disappointment of what could have been. But you're right ITS NOT THAT BAD! We could be 5th.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#24 » by Spens1 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:22 pm

if RJ does go #2, i'd love to see the Knicks pass on Morant (please, we need some hope here at 4).
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 23,982

Post#25 » by cupcakesnake » Wed May 15, 2019 2:23 pm

i can't wait for SAS to move to the next stage of his career where he self-produces his own web series or cable access television show and just screams NBA conspiracy theories. The NBA's own Alex Jones please we NEED this.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Clincher
General Manager
And1: 694

Post#26 » by Clincher » Wed May 15, 2019 2:24 pm

SeniorWalker wrote:SAS is quite good at what he does.

I used to make fun of him all the time but soon I realized I was the idiot, not him. He knows what he is doing and who he is appealing to. That's why he makes the money he does. He's not for the analytics/stat crowd, or even the true basketball lifers who play and watch in detail..... and he doesnt pretend to be. Criticizing him for that is like criticizing a studio pop musician for not being able to play jazz. That's not his job.

He got fired by ESPN at one point, dude had to change it up to survive and has embraced being the loud mouth dude. It's like a comedy skit, it's borderline brilliant and he's making a lot of money. He's borderline an icon in sports media talk.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,080

Post#27 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed May 15, 2019 2:24 pm

SeniorWalker wrote:SAS is quite good at what he does.

I used to make fun of him all the time but soon I realized I was the idiot, not him. He knows what he is doing and who he is appealing to. That's why he makes the money he does. He's not for the analytics/stat crowd, or even the true basketball lifers who play and watch in detail..... and he doesnt pretend to be. Criticizing him for that is like criticizing a studio pop musician for not being able to play jazz. That's not his job.

Exactly, SAS is brilliant at what he does. I can always go to Zach Lowe, Chris Herring and Kevin Arnovitz for legit basketball analysis.

My only complaint about SAS is his lack of appreciation for foreign players because he's a chauvinist. This is where he crosses the line.
Clincher
General Manager
And1: 694

Post#28 » by Clincher » Wed May 15, 2019 2:28 pm

Skip Bayless is the same way as that defiant troll character portrayed on TV. Will Cain is trying to harness this.

I believe Jason Whitlock truly believes the **** he spews, Stephen A. exaggerates it to the mpth degree and throws his sources around to keep his integrity ongoing to the common fan that isn't all into analytics, stats etc.
pb-ceo
Analyst
And1: 830

Post#29 » by pb-ceo » Wed May 15, 2019 2:31 pm

he has a new contract. big money locked in. now he is going to do what he wants...
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,055

Post#30 » by Tron Carter » Wed May 15, 2019 2:32 pm

Spens1 wrote:

if RJ does go #2, i'd love to see the Knicks pass on Morant (please, we need some hope here at 4).

they probably will and rightfully so.
R.I.P Black Mamba
Tron Carter
RealGM

Post#31 » by Tron Carter » Wed May 15, 2019 2:33 pm

Coeur wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:
Coeur wrote:That guy is such an idiot. He will prob be surprised when Kyrie and KD sign somewhere other than the Knicks.

I actually look forward to his speech after the knicks free agent class is jj reddick, fariq aminu, and Meyers leanord

Scott Perry is not signing those dudes.

Yeah I’m not specifically stuck on those guys. Just that tier of talent and money is how I think they’ll use all that money.

The only guys I’d feel confident enough to put money on the knicks not signing are Durant and to a lesser extent Kyrie.

Problem with betting money on no Durant to NY is that Las Vegas thinks there’s so little of a chance that he will sign with the Knicks that you have to bet 400 dollars to make 100

that doesn’t make sense
R.I.P Black Mamba
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#32 » by Spens1 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:34 pm

Tron Carter wrote:
Spens1 wrote:

Why? Unless you know for sure you're getting Kyrie it makes no sense.

I mean for us its great because we get our guy at 4 (well, if Magic is to be believed).
Illuminatos
Analyst
And1: 1,211

Post#33 » by Illuminatos » Wed May 15, 2019 2:35 pm

Lol the Knicks are fine.

If they don't sign KD however, then they're screwed lol.
WadeInTheWater wrote:I stick up for LeBron to the depths of the earth, i tell anyone i know when discussing basketball that LeBron is everything that Jordan was AND more but just without the rings YET. No doubt about he is better all round than Jordan ever was

^^Trololol^^
Tron Carter
RealGM

Post#34 » by Tron Carter » Wed May 15, 2019 2:48 pm

Spens1 wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:
Spens1 wrote:

Why? Unless you know for sure you're getting Kyrie it makes no sense.

I mean for us its great because we get our guy at 4 (well, if Magic is to be believed).

because garland is better
R.I.P Black Mamba
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Post#35 » by SeniorWalker » Wed May 15, 2019 2:56 pm

Clincher wrote:Skip Bayless is the same way as that defiant troll character portrayed on TV. Will Cain is trying to harness this.

I believe Jason Whitlock truly believes the **** he spews, Stephen A. exaggerates it to the mpth degree and throws his sources around to keep his integrity ongoing to the common fan that isn't all into analytics, stats etc.

Dont forget that SAS does actually talk to many players/former players and does have some legitimate sources in the NBA. He absolutely does have relationships with a few players and has for a long time. He's not 100% making up everything he says.

....BUT because of the fact that he does have some relationships, he can stretch and exaggerate his connections as far as he wants in many situations and act like he knows more than he does know whenever it is convenient for him! And it's totally fine, because he's not really a journalist, he's a media sensationalist as many of you have already pointed out. He can say whatever the hell he wants, his job is to be loud and keep people interested in the daily culture so the networks maintain their revenue stream.

He's no different than most 24 hour news these days anyway, half the stories brought up are not only things that are completely irrelevant to your daily life, the opinion talk on them is even more propagandistic and worthless. But because TV has an inherent power in keeping people listening and watching regardless, they still get views and messages out.

Mind you that's no shade on SAS. I actually have grown to really like him, skip and shannon Sharpe. These guys are hilarious when you understand what they're actually doing and also not doing. They probably love their jobs.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#36 » by LKN » Wed May 15, 2019 2:59 pm

I think in some ways what happened last night helped the Knicks. If they have interest in AD they have a much better shot of getting him now. The Pelicans are now getting their centerpiece via the draft and this means that a more pick/young player heavy package like NY could offer for AD may look more attractive. Mitchell Robinson is a good asset - he's going to be very cheap for quite some team
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,473

Post#37 » by dc » Wed May 15, 2019 3:04 pm

Do these people not understand what 14% means?

I remember when Boston had a 30% shot at the #1 pick in 97’ and the media was already assuming that Tim Duncan was going to be a Celtic. There was a 70% chance that wasn’t going to happen, yet they were shocked when it didn’t, LOL.

These fools don’t understand basic math.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#38 » by Lalouie » Wed May 15, 2019 5:47 pm

sas was absolutely hilarious on first take and get up.

he was cracking up the whole studio
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#39 » by Lalouie » Wed May 15, 2019 5:50 pm

LukaMagic wrote:He really lost his marbles this time. He should be institutionalized. Long overdue.

enjoy the hilarity of it.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#40 » by NBAFan93 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:00 pm

GusT15 wrote:
Percentsign wrote:I'm at work, so I can't play the sound. What is that video? Looks like a scene from a found-footage horror movie.

It sounds like a horror movie as well.

A pretty bad horror movie where the girl that showed her b**bs 20 mins ago is crying and screaming at the sight of the killer before she gets killed.

In which case Screaming A. Smith is a girl that 20 mins ago took off her bra.

:lol: :lol:

Return to The General Board