Post#4963 » by ChrisPozz » Tue May 14, 2019 6:03 pm

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Re: Around the NFL Thread 

Post#4964 » by ChrisPozz » Tue May 14, 2019 7:09 pm

andylevitre

It all started as a big kid growing up in the mountains of Santa Cruz. I had a fire in my belly and a burning desire to be the best football player I could be. I was never the the most talented athlete on the field so I made the conscious choice to outwork everyone else. Coming from a high school that wasn’t highly recruited I spent many nights piecing together my own VHS tapes to send off in hopes of being recruited. Some of my fondest memories are of my grandfather driving me around the country to meet with some different colleges. Although I may not have been able to reach all of my goals as an athlete, I can end this chapter of my life knowing I gave the game of football everything I had. I have memories that will last me a life time. I met my wife while I was playing in Buffalo. I fell in love with the city of Nashville while playing for the Titans. I also had to rush out after my first playoff game with the Falcons to attend the birth of my first child. Unfortunately, due to injury my body won’t allow me to continue any longer. Thank you to my wife and children, my family, friends, coaches, teammates and all of the fans who have supported me on this journey. I am looking forward to shifting my time & energy to focus more on family, friends, restoring my health & pursuing other passions of mine. I hope you all have enjoyed my career as much as I have.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#4965 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 14, 2019 7:53 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not doing that Seattle pass rush any favors.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#4966 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 14, 2019 9:28 pm

And what a surprise. "Adderall" use again in Seattle. They just have a lot of trouble concentrating. Must be the short winter days so far up north....
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#4967 » by ChrisPozz » Wed May 15, 2019 3:35 pm

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#4968 » by ChrisPozz » Wed May 15, 2019 3:42 pm

Read on Twitter

Maccagnan wasn't near special, and eventually needed to go IMO, and maybe Gase and company back into something special, but good luck with Gase as your coach and double good luck having him as a large piece in hiring your next GM and creating that kind of structure.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#4969 » by ChrisPozz » Wed May 15, 2019 3:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Would come with a strong recommendation from Ozzie Newsome I would imagine unless something has changed. Worked together in Baltimore and he's been vocal in the past about how good he is.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#4970 » by ChrisPozz » Wed May 15, 2019 4:01 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Maccagnan wasn't near special, and eventually needed to go IMO, and maybe Gase and company back into something special, but good luck with Gase as your coach and double good luck having him as a large piece in hiring your next GM and creating that kind of structure.

Read on Twitter

------

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-mccagnan-jets-nfl-draft-20190427-zkdq675zw5emrce3pqmzsknrda-story.html?utm_content=buffercc36f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=mmehta+twitter

“Actually, I think Adam and I have worked very well together,” Maccagnan said Friday. “I’m sure, like in any process, there are times where… you know, you work through the process.”

It’s naïve to think that everyone on One Jets Drive has agreed with all of Maccagnan’s decisions, but it’s inaccurate to paint a picture of warring factions in the building. (The Daily News reported in March that the Jets were divided in their pursuit of Bell for a myriad of reasons in the run-up to free agency).

The notion that the general manager’s job is in jeopardy right now after ownership entrusted him with hiring a new head coach, spending more than $100 million and leading the draft is untrue.

--------------------

Read on Twitter
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#4971 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:09 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

I would not surprised to Seattle take a small step back this coming season. I would bet on that more than them being better this season than last. I think overall their roster has taken a step back this year.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#4972 » by Cactus Jack » Wed May 15, 2019 6:24 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

He had little to no impact last season. Just a roster bubble guy. He was a free agent & likely wasn't going to stick around anyway.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#4973 » by Cactus Jack » Wed May 15, 2019 6:33 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

I would not surprised to Seattle take a small step back this coming season. I would bet on that more than them being better this season than last. I think overall their roster has taken a step back this year.

Losing Baldwin hurts. No denying that. But, also consider that he only played in a handful of games last season & they also appear to be deeper at WR now with the drafting of 3 guys & more competition. They had to rely on Lockett & a bunch of no-names (David Moore, Jaron Brown) last season for the most part while Baldwin missed a good chunk of the season.

Pass Rush remains a big concern. Although, Signing Ziggy Ansah was a good start. They also drafted LJ Collier (1st) & signed Niner legend Cassius Marsh :wink:.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#4974 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed May 15, 2019 6:50 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Odd timing. He kind of crushed the draft. We'll see how things pan out, but he could easily have added four starters and totally overhauled that front seven on D.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#4975 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed May 15, 2019 6:59 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

He had little to no impact last season. Just a roster bubble guy. He was a free agent & likely wasn't going to stick around anyway.

Sure, he's little more than depth for them, and might have lost his job to Marsh anyway. But they need all the guys in the mix at DE that they can get. That edge pass rush could be a real problem, especially early in the year.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#4976 » by Cactus Jack » Wed May 15, 2019 7:04 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Sure, he's little more than depth for them, and might have lost his job to Marsh anyway. But they need all the guys in the mix at DE that they can get. That edge pass rush could be a real problem, especially early in the year.

Really anyone off the street could replicate his (Dion's) production honestly. The guy hardly played or produced for that matter. Not a big deal.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#4977 » by Cactus Jack » Wed May 15, 2019 7:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Fwiw I think this officially puts us over the top! :lift: 8-)
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#4978 » by ChrisPozz » Wed May 15, 2019 7:37 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Odd timing. He kind of crushed the draft. We'll see how things pan out, but he could easily have added four starters and totally overhauled that front seven on D.

On that 2nd sentence covering the draft, here's a small story away from Macagnan's overall resume as GM I feel like tossing out there that doesn't have to do so much with the Jets as it does the kinds of opinions you get from a league perspective.

Colin Cowherd said a week ago he spoke to a "rival GM" who told him that the Jets "had the worst draft by a wide margin not counting any trades."

Assuming he quoted him accurately, and assuming this GM didn't have any sort of beef of wanting to put something out there on the Jets for whatever weird reason, and assuming it was straight down the middle line as those words, wow.

Someone not loving their draft? Ok, fine. No problem.
Someone not liking their draft? Ok, fine. No issue.
Someone criticizing their draft factoring in needs or needs plus value? Fine, no peep from me either. I lean a lot of different directions than the majority sometimes myself.

Someone saying the Jets had the worst draft by a WIDE MARGIN (and not factoring in any trades)? Now that's discussion worthy to me.

It won't shock me, like many, if Q is the best player from this draft. Getting Polite in the 3rd is where I said I'd start to be comfortable with him, and I think he has one of the higher ceilings among any edge in this draft. I'm higher on Chuma Edoga than most people and think his ceiling is high (very good starting tackle with an elite lower body and movement skills) and I did not think he was going to last much longer than that (2 more tackles went after him and another one went 1 pick ahead of him with no other tackle being taken until way later in the draft).

It's not incredibly common for a team to hit the ceilings on their first 3 picks but if the Jets come close to that with Q, with an edge in Polite, and a tackle in Edoga, that's a hell of a start of that draft for them and I don't even think it's THAT far-fetched. Polite's floor obviously is very scary but even with him he was one of the character question marks I said I was fine with if they got him where they did.

Now, in rounds 4, 5, and 6 they took Trevon Wesco, Blake Cashman, and Blessuan Austin and that's where it sort of starts to fall off for me.

Wesco is the only guy I may have targeted at all as a draft worthy player. Wesco is a fun, long-armed project, who I think can be a move chess piece that gives you the option to play multiple positions and play them all somewhat well (TE, FB, , though in Gase's offense he's probably not going to be lining up at FB much, and a key special teamer).

Cashman graded well as a coverage backer against RBs and TEs (only for one season of major playing time) but in the NFL I don't think his size and physical limitations are going to translate very well to doing that and he's more of a smart, timing blitzer than effective rusher that gets there with much of anything he will be able to rely on in the NFL. I think the size and physical limitations are too big of problems and he's nothing more than a high effort, team leader, type that plays with toughness and smarts and might be a special teamer.

Austin played in only 5 games in 2 years and missed 19 of his last 20 possible game with an ACL (two surgeries - one in '17 and one following the '18 season opener). He needs a ton of physical development in upper and lower body and struggles against physical receivers and struggles with multiple techniques. The measurables he does have in his favor are above average at best IMO and I don't see an exciting ceiling even if you get a player that can stay healthy. Far more risk than reward so I'll give any skeptics that one.

Their first 3 picks were just too good, with very high ceilings at 3 KEY positions, and with floors on those first three that are still high enough for me to not get anywhere close to "worst draft by a wide margin."
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#4979 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed May 15, 2019 8:08 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

On that 2nd sentence covering the draft, here's a small story away from Macagnan's overall resume as GM I feel like tossing out there that doesn't have to do so much with the Jets as it does the kinds of opinions you get from a league perspective.

Colin Cowherd said a week ago he spoke to a "rival GM" who told him that the Jets "had the worst draft by a wide margin not counting any trades."

Assuming he quoted him accurately, and assuming this GM didn't have any sort of beef of wanting to put something out there on the Jets for whatever weird reason, and assuming it was straight down the middle line as those words, wow.

Someone criticizing their draft factoring in needs or needs plus value? Fine, no peep from me either. I lean a lot of different directions than the majority sometimes myself.

Someone saying the Jets had the worst draft by a WIDE MARGIN (and not factoring in any trades)? Now that's discussion worthy to me.

It won't shock me, like many, if Q is the best player from this draft. Getting Polite in the 3rd is where I said I'd start to be comfortable with him, and I think he has one of the higher ceilings among any edge in this draft. I'm higher on Chuma Edoga than most people and think his ceiling is high (very good starting tackle with an elite lower body and movement skills) and I did not think he was going to last much longer than that (2 more tackles went after him and another one went 1 pick ahead of him with no other tackle being taken until way later in the draft).

It's not incredibly common for a team to hit the ceilings on their first 3 picks but if the Jets come close to that with Q, with an edge in Polite, and a tackle in Edoga, that's a hell of a start of that draft for them and I don't even think it's THAT far-fetched. Polite's floor obviously is very scary but even with him he was one of the character question marks I said I was fine with if they got him where they did.

Now, in rounds 4, 5, and 6 they took Trevon Wesco, Blake Cashman, and Blessuan Austin and that's where it sort of starts to fall off for me.

Wesco is the only guy I may have targeted at all as a draft worthy player. Wesco is a fun, long-armed project, who I think can be a move chess piece that gives you the option to play multiple positions and play them all somewhat well (TE, FB, , though in Gase's offense he's probably not going to be lining up at FB much, and a key special teamer).

Cashman graded well as a coverage backer against RBs and TEs (only for one season of major playing time) but in the NFL I don't think his size and physical limitations are going to translate very well to doing that and he's more of a smart, timing blitzer than effective rusher that gets there with much of anything he will be able to rely on in the NFL. I think the size and physical limitations are too big of problems and he's nothing more than a high effort, team leader, type that plays with toughness and smarts and might be a special teamer.

Austin played in only 5 games in 2 years and missed 19 of his last 20 possible game with an ACL (two surgeries - one in '17 and one following the '18 season opener). He needs a ton of physical development in upper and lower body and struggles against physical receivers and struggles with multiple techniques. The measurables he does have in his favor are above average at best IMO and I don't see an exciting ceiling even if you get a player that can stay healthy. Far more risk than reward so I'll give any skeptics that one.

Their first 3 picks were just too good, with very high ceilings at 3 KEY positions, and with floors on those first three that are still high enough for me to not get anywhere close to "worst draft by a wide margin."

I'm admittedly focused primarily on those first three picks. Q might have been a no-brainer, but he could be the best player in this draft. Polite comes with plenty of risk, but they had a big need, and the guy has some talent if he can tap into it consistently at the next level. And I agree that Edoga has starter potential.

In terms of Cashman, when you are saying size AND physical limitations, what are the physical limitations other than size, Chris? He's short-ish, though there are plenty of 6'1" LBs. He does have noticeably short arms and small hands, but he's a 91st percentile SPARQ guy.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#4980 » by ChrisPozz » Thu May 16, 2019 2:43 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

I'm admittedly focused primarily on those first three picks. Q might have been a no-brainer, but he could be the best player in this draft. Polite comes with plenty of risk, but they had a big need, and the guy has some talent if he can tap into it consistently at the next level. And I agree that Edoga has starter potential.

In terms of Cashman, when you are saying size AND physical limitations, what are the physical limitations other than size, Chris? He's short-ish, though there are plenty of 6'1" LBs. He does have noticeably short arms and small hands, but he's a 91st percentile SPARQ guy.

I didn't see good upper body pop in his hands or arms. He'd rather always play around you than through you. You get into him and he can be neutralized with above average or better size. Part of it are his smaller arms (shortest at NFL Combine and one of only 3 LBs with a hand under 9'') but he also plays quite small to me. He doesn't erase throwing windows in coverage and it feels like it's going to be a problem for him in the NFL. Can you teach him to be more active and help him develop secondary, third and fourth moves? Maybe. I just don't know if he overcomes the lack of pop/brute/natural strength that I see IMO though.

Return to San Francisco 49ers