It’s still mind boggling that Paul George decided to kill his career and stay with okc

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,663

Re: It’s still mind boggling that Paul George decided to kill his career and stay with okc 

Post#21 » by Fat » Wed May 15, 2019 7:27 pm

someone had to be KD's replacement
Miami Heat Baf

Fultz | NAW
Mitchell | Grimes
Trent Jr | DFS
Al Horford | Covington
Adams | Achiuwa
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Re: It’s still mind boggling that Paul George decided to kill his career and stay with okc 

Post#22 » by NBAFan93 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:28 pm

Karate Diop wrote:PG bought into the Westbrook hype. There were definitely moments this year when you could tell he regretted it though... Westbrook ends up rubbing most players the wrong way eventually. It's why Harden and Durant had no choice but to leave...

Lol. This is just not true at all. Harden and Russ are still friends and Harden didn’t want to leave. Revisionist history.
BigtimeNBAfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,960

Post#23 » by BigtimeNBAfan » Wed May 15, 2019 7:38 pm

It looks bad now, but he is playing with a former mvp who is still averaging triple doubles each year. George had his best season of his career last year. He has two years left and then can finish his career in LA or latch onto a title contender.
JamesDolan
Junior
And1: 231

Post#24 » by JamesDolan » Wed May 15, 2019 8:34 pm

Sure that's on AD mind and one of the reasons .. He wants out of New Orleans

Sent from my SM-S727VL using RealGM mobile app
pb-ceo
Analyst
And1: 830

Post#25 » by pb-ceo » Wed May 15, 2019 8:36 pm

because if he went to LAL he would be stacking rings?
kj_
Analyst
And1: 3,298

Post#26 » by kj_ » Wed May 15, 2019 8:43 pm

Maybe he knew he would be miserable playing with LeBron, winning or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,882

Post#27 » by Effigy » Wed May 15, 2019 8:44 pm

iamtheking wrote:
I can’t imagine any other star or superstar that would make a decision similar to Paul George. He picked comfort over winning. Years back he will look back in this decision and will kick himself for staying.

LeBron literally did the same thing. He certainly didn't go to LA to win.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#28 » by FNQ » Wed May 15, 2019 8:46 pm

iamtheking wrote:This is the guy who was going toe to toe with lebron James just a few years back before his injuries and now he’s literally have to carry Westbrook and okc to first round exits for the next 3-4 years.

I can’t imagine any other star or superstar that would make a decision similar to Paul George. He picked comfort over winning. Years back he will look back in this decision and will kick himself for staying.

IMO he will give okc one more year to fix the roster and he’ll demand a trade.

Shoulda gone to LA where he would have endured a frustrating season? Maybe a 1st round exit?

Paul George upped his game to a near MVP level this year. Dont think he regrets it one bit. When OKC decides to rebuild, he can move on and look for rings then - if OKC doesnt make a move or two that vaults them back into contention anyways, that is.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,472

Post#29 » by dc » Wed May 15, 2019 8:54 pm

FNQ wrote:Paul George upped his game to a near MVP level this year. Dont think he regrets it one bit. When OKC decides to rebuild, he can move on and look for rings then - if OKC doesnt make a move or two that vaults them back into contention anyways, that is.

Yeah, people have a short memory on this for whatever reason. PG was looking like a legit MVP candidate early on and OKC looked like a Top 3 seed in the West.

Then he hurt his shoulder(s) and he just wasn't the same. Not coincidentally, that's when OKC's season started going downhill.

The guy was playing hurt for most of 2019 and he played through it. He should get credit for that, but it seems the opposite has happened. The guy just had surgery, so he was legit hurt but he still played through it. Had he just sat out the year, people probably wouldn't have given him a hard time about it, but he played through it and now people are questioning him.

Pretty lame, IMO.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,346

Post#30 » by Johnny Bball » Wed May 15, 2019 8:56 pm

He made the playoffs at least.
DonDoolie
Veteran
And1: 3,690

Post#31 » by DonDoolie » Wed May 15, 2019 9:06 pm

dacrusha wrote:Only bored housewives and little kids worry about a players' legacy.

Paul George is happy to play in OKC and makes more money in one day than most of this board's members make in an entire year.

I think he'll be fine.

You’re on a basketball forum... what the **** are people supposed to talk about ? How much money each player makes ?
Making Salat, I ain't miss a beat Praise to Allah, made it out the clink Alhamdulillah, praise be to God Big booty freak, givin' a massage
spicy6
Starter
And1: 1,841

Post#32 » by spicy6 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:21 am

Pablo Escobar wrote:
spicy6 wrote:He and westbrook were both bad in the first round, he wasnt carrying anything especially after the all star break where he slumped majorly. They both need to look at each other in the mirrors and play better next year because theyre definitely capable. Only time will tell whether he made the right choice or not.

torn rotator cuff

Injuries are bound to happen to there main players because donovan plays them a lot of minutes in the RS and OKC's offense is predicated on russ and PG doing everything one or the other its going to happen again (knock on wood obviously hope it doesnt) because they play the same reckless way. Injuries or not its the same story, everybody is limping going into the playoffs.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,313

Post#33 » by mtcan » Thu May 16, 2019 1:24 am

The mark of a miserable fan base is when you start pining over over team's players because your own team sucks so badly. Lebron is doing it as we speak on Twitter...gushing over how great Kawhi is.
Guest202
Sixth Man
And1: 1,245

Post#34 » by Guest202 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:36 am

Bill Simmons hits on this conspiracy once a month: Silver told PG and Lakers he isn't signing there. Too much blatant tampering, including tampering that led to Magic getting fined. I guarantee owners, especially Dan Gilbert, were livid behind the scenes that Bron and Magic were tampering so shamelessly.

And I believe it. PG to LA was a lock for like a year. Only way that didn't happen is because Silver flexed.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 25,836

Post#35 » by azcatz11 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:42 am

Guest202 wrote:Bill Simmons hits on this conspiracy once a month: Silver told PG and Lakers he isn't signing there. Too much blatant tampering, including tampering that led to Magic getting fined. I guarantee owners, especially Dan Gilbert, were livid behind the scenes that Bron and Magic were tampering so shamelessly.

And I believe it. PG to LA was a lock for like a year. Only way that didn't happen is because Silver flexed.

I doubt it man. There'd be a paper trail and why is Silver risking his entire career on this? And why is PG agreeing also? He could go public and completely ruin Silver.
TheProfessor
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#36 » by TheProfessor » Thu May 16, 2019 1:43 am

spicy6 wrote:He and westbrook were both bad in the first round, he wasnt carrying anything especially after the all star break where he slumped majorly. They both need to look at each other in the mirrors and play better next year because theyre definitely capable. Only time will tell whether he made the right choice or not.

Who? PG had 1 bad game in game 1 and for the series he was going for 29/9/4 on 58&ts and had -.4 on and a -44.1 off playing 41minutes a game. PG wasn't allowed to leave the court because they were getting blown out without him and add to fact he hurt his shoulder.

Westbrick on the other hand was a waste of 40m and was a complete negative, and hijacked game 6 for the L.

PG probably had one of the best 2 way seasons in the nba, he was leading the league in rapm. But thanks to Westbrick and his own stupidity, all will be forgotten.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,313

Post#37 » by mtcan » Thu May 16, 2019 1:47 am

Guest202 wrote:Bill Simmons hits on this conspiracy once a month: Silver told PG and Lakers he isn't signing there. Too much blatant tampering, including tampering that led to Magic getting fined. I guarantee owners, especially Dan Gilbert, were livid behind the scenes that Bron and Magic were tampering so shamelessly.

Believe it or not...there are players that choose NOT to play in LA or NYC...they do exist. I'm sure it's even harder to believe that players who grew up in LA who actively choose NOT to play in LA. I know it's a hard concept to grasp...but it does happen.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,955

Post#38 » by MrBigShot » Thu May 16, 2019 1:47 am

Killing his career is a bit much, but he did lose the chance to contend for a while.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,403

Post#39 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu May 16, 2019 1:47 am

I've made this point before but sometimes I think players make the same mistakes as MLB general managers. They look at a guys past performance and award him a huge contract for his free agent years. Often, those contracts end up being horrendous and just a gigantic black hole (see Chris Davis most recently I guess). Players, like Paul George perhaps, maybe make the same mistake...assuming westbrook would play at a top 10 player level going forward.

Anyways I like how the narrative is now, why isn't this guy teaming up and trying to create a superteam? WHAT IS HE THINKING?

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#40 » by NBAFan93 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:01 am

dc wrote:
FNQ wrote:Paul George upped his game to a near MVP level this year. Dont think he regrets it one bit. When OKC decides to rebuild, he can move on and look for rings then - if OKC doesnt make a move or two that vaults them back into contention anyways, that is.

Yeah, people have a short memory on this for whatever reason. PG was looking like a legit MVP candidate early on and OKC looked like a Top 3 seed in the West.

Then he hurt his shoulder(s) and he just wasn't the same. Not coincidentally, that's when OKC's season started going downhill.

The guy was playing hurt for most of 2019 and he played through it. He should get credit for that, but it seems the opposite has happened. The guy just had surgery, so he was legit hurt but he still played through it. Had he just sat out the year, people probably wouldn't have given him a hard time about it, but he played through it and now people are questioning him.

Pretty lame, IMO.

Yeah - it is lame. Their season would have been over if he didn’t come back after the ASB. Russ also needed hand surgery that has him on a 3 week recovery that he put off too. They still lost a good portion of their games during that time frame, but they finished the season on a 5-0 win streak and tried their best in the playoffs.

In retrospect all the hate they got for dropping off probably wasn’t worth it, but the fans of OKC should realize they at least got to watch them play instead of a literal giving up by the team with them having only Westbrook and for a 3 week stretch not even that.

Return to The General Board