WCF | P1: (1) Golden State Warriors vs (3) Portland Trail Blazers

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Call it!

Blazers in 4
3%
Blazers in 5
1%
Blazers in 6
6%
Blazers in 7
5%
Warriors in 4
17%
Warriors in 5
41%
Warriors in 6
23%
Warriors in 7
4%

Total votes: 334

bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Re: WCF | P1: (1) Golden State Warriors vs (3) Portland Trail Blazers 

Post#1021 » by bon » Wed May 15, 2019 7:14 pm

Impuniti wrote:
HotTubMike wrote:
SeniorWalker wrote:The bucks would have massacred the rockets. Are you out of your mind? How would they have defended them at all?

I also believe the bucks will beat the warriors even with Durant. They are too physical, too disciplined, consistent effort every game, consistent from 3, and too dominant in the paint in regards to shot blocking and scoring. I will gladly take that bet.

Toronto would also be a good series for the warriors although I think they are a little too reliant on kawhi.

lol

Leastern conference fan talk is cheap.

Lets see how you do when your in the ring with GSW.

It won’t be pretty.

I asked one guy who thought the Raptors would be better defensively than the Rockets to put a bet (which teams keeps the Warriors to a lower PPG average throughout each series). If both teams make it, lets make an avatar/signature bet for the rest of the year (or we can push it for the full 2020 as well).

He has since disappeared. :lol:

Warriors had a 114.1 Offensive Rating against Houston in the 2nd round. The highest among all 2nd round teams.

I'll gladly take you up on that
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,843

Post#1022 » by inquisitive » Wed May 15, 2019 7:22 pm

SeniorWalker wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
HotTubMike wrote:
lol

It won’t be pretty.

I asked one guy who thought the Raptors would be better defensively than the Rockets to put a bet (which teams keeps the Warriors to a lower PPG average throughout each series). If both teams make it, lets make an avatar/signature bet for the rest of the year (or we can push it for the full 2020 as well).

Well I mean, I'm not going to disappear. I don't care about being wrong at all. I've also been on realgm for over 10 years, so I dont know why I would leave for being wrong about a playoff series...

That said, I really do think if the bucks make the finals they will win it all. The warriors are to be respected surely but they match up horribly with the bucks. The bucks can absolutely destroy them in the paint and also keep up with their shooting. There are definitely reasons to look at the matchup and think the warriors will have major problems unlike what Houston or anyone else so far has been capable of doing to them. I love Draymond and Iggy but if you think they are going to stop or significantly slow down giannis, I dont know what to tell you. It's going to be ugly. And dont even talk about KD guarding him, that would be a terrible idea. Their only hope in that regard is if cousins can come back and give them some respectable minutes as a big body to throw at him and force him to guard.

I think the Bucks have a real shot at winning it all, but they gonna have to make the FTs especially Giannis when he goes to the line, but i guess i won't talk about it anymore since this is the wrong thread and getting too far ahead of everything.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 424

Post#1023 » by superunknown » Wed May 15, 2019 7:54 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
HotTubMike wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:Quoting my post and ignoring most of what I said was a solid plan.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

Yea, let me go into the weeds breaking down four years of finals with the Cavs stan whose hyopthesis is, "they needed KD to get past Lebron" - Uh, no, they didn't, they did it in 2015 and they lost in 7 in the most epic series in NBA history in '16. To act as if that is "proof" that they "had to have" KD is asinine.

They didn't "have to have him" - nobody knows what would have happened if they didn't sign KD, but they got him to make sure they could beat LeBron. I'm not sure why that's hard to understand:

LeBron in playoffs series against the Warriors from 2015-2018: 1-3

Western Conference against the Warriors in the same time frame: 0-12

They were 6-0 against the West without KD and 6-0 with him - they signed him so that they wouldn't lose to LeBron again.

James+Irving+love+the highest payroll on the league.
Stop acting like James was playing with a bunch of scrubs. This narrative is simply ridiculous. That cavaliers team was legit.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,618

Post#1024 » by bmurph128 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:00 pm

superunknown wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:
HotTubMike wrote:
Yea, let me go into the weeds breaking down four years of finals with the Cavs stan whose hyopthesis is, "they needed KD to get past Lebron" - Uh, no, they didn't, they did it in 2015 and they lost in 7 in the most epic series in NBA history in '16. To act as if that is "proof" that they "had to have" KD is asinine.

They didn't "have to have him" - nobody knows what would have happened if they didn't sign KD, but they got him to make sure they could beat LeBron. I'm not sure why that's hard to understand:

They were 6-0 against the West without KD and 6-0 with him - they signed him so that they wouldn't lose to LeBron again.

Stop acting like James was playing with a bunch of scrubs. This narrative is simply ridiculous. That cavaliers team was legit.

We're actually in agreement on that - I just said "LeBron" in this case but I meant the Cavs team as a whole - I didn't mean to put it out there as if LeBron was doing it himself.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 424

Post#1025 » by superunknown » Wed May 15, 2019 8:08 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
superunknown wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:They didn't "have to have him" - nobody knows what would have happened if they didn't sign KD, but they got him to make sure they could beat LeBron. I'm not sure why that's hard to understand:

We're actually in agreement on that - I just said "LeBron" in this case but I meant the Cavs team as a whole - I didn't mean to put it out there as if LeBron was doing it himself.

Allright.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,032

Post#1026 » by og15 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:09 pm

bon wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
HotTubMike wrote:
lol

It won’t be pretty.

Warriors had a 114.1 Offensive Rating against Houston in the 2nd round. The highest among all 2nd round teams.

Hmm, how many series' since having Durant have the Warriors had an Ortg under 114? I think it has been 2 or 3 out of their 10 series' (Portland is the 11th series).
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Post#1027 » by bon » Wed May 15, 2019 11:28 pm

og15 wrote:
bon wrote:
Impuniti wrote:I asked one guy who thought the Raptors would be better defensively than the Rockets to put a bet (which teams keeps the Warriors to a lower PPG average throughout each series). If both teams make it, lets make an avatar/signature bet for the rest of the year (or we can push it for the full 2020 as well).

Hmm, how many series' since having Durant have the Warriors had an Ortg under 114? I think it has been 2 or 3 out of their 10 series' (Portland is the 11th series).

Yeah it's 3. All coming in last season's playoff run
BigLurch92
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#1028 » by BigLurch92 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:04 am

I feel like there has been a blazers game every other night for weeks. have the playoffs always been this fast paced or am i just noticing now cause Portland advanced?
bb22
Starter
And1: 984

Post#1029 » by bb22 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:46 am

I hope the Blazers take game 2. I see the series seesawing between big games from Steph/Klay and Dame/CJ until Durant comes back. Once KD is back, it just makes the Warriors impossible to contain down the stretch.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,175

Post#1030 » by Impuniti » Thu May 16, 2019 8:19 am

bon wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
HotTubMike wrote:
lol

It won’t be pretty.

Sounds good. If you guys make it, let me know once the finals is over and I lose the bet and I'll change it to what you'd like for all of 2019.
jimbutton4
Freshman
And1: 40

Post#1031 » by jimbutton4 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:51 pm

MrPerfect1 wrote:
HotTubMike wrote:
MrPerfect1 wrote:

If making a Top 5 list of players in the NBA, it could easily be argued that 3/5 of them are in the East (Giannis, Kawhi Embiid).

MIL has been the best team in the League this year and only has 1 Top 15 player. # Top 15 players on a team is not exactly a perfect way to measure strength. Heck, some people think OKC has 2 of them and they always get bounced in Round 1

We are discussing conference strength.

It's sensible to discuss where the overwhelming majority of the best NBA talent plays. It's in the Western Conference. Try putting together a WC all-star team and an EC all-star team. No wonder they had to change the format. :lol:

MIL does not have the best team in the league. The back-to-back champs do.

Absolutely nobody with any credibility has Joel freaking Embiid in the "Top 5." Get a grip.

-The West has the "Overwhelming majority of talent", yet the East could easily have 3/5 of the 1st Team All NBA... Congrats to the West for having more 2nd and 3rd Tier Stars.

-We'll find out who the Best team in the NBA is. At Worst, MIL is the 2nd Best (assuming something insane doesn't happen like they improbably get destroyed by TOR). GS winning previous years means nothing in assessing this year, unless you consider CLE to be a Top team since they have made multiple Finals in a row.

The top team in the league is the reigning champion, who did not lose any key players and added Boogie.
TOR/MIL has the potential to take that crown, but until another team takes home the trophy, GSW remains on top.

We'll know more in a few weeks.
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#1032 » by Showdown » Thu May 16, 2019 1:50 pm

I would love to see Turner on Steph in next games
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#1033 » by LKN » Thu May 16, 2019 2:16 pm

jimbutton4 wrote:
MrPerfect1 wrote:
HotTubMike wrote:
We are discussing conference strength.

It's sensible to discuss where the overwhelming majority of the best NBA talent plays. It's in the Western Conference. Try putting together a WC all-star team and an EC all-star team. No wonder they had to change the format. :lol:

MIL does not have the best team in the league. The back-to-back champs do.

Absolutely nobody with any credibility has Joel freaking Embiid in the "Top 5." Get a grip.

-The West has the "Overwhelming majority of talent", yet the East could easily have 3/5 of the 1st Team All NBA... Congrats to the West for having more 2nd and 3rd Tier Stars.

-We'll find out who the Best team in the NBA is. At Worst, MIL is the 2nd Best (assuming something insane doesn't happen like they improbably get destroyed by TOR). GS winning previous years means nothing in assessing this year, unless you consider CLE to be a Top team since they have made multiple Finals in a row.

The top team in the league is the reigning champion, who did not lose any key players and added Boogie.
TOR/MIL has the potential to take that crown, but until another team takes home the trophy, GSW remains on top.

We'll know more in a few weeks.

I think the Bucks have a really good shot at beating the Warriors. ... but yeah - the champs are the champs until proven otherwise.
HotTubMike
Veteran
And1: 4,166

Post#1034 » by HotTubMike » Thu May 16, 2019 2:59 pm

bb22 wrote:I hope the Blazers take game 2. I see the series seesawing between big games from Steph/Klay and Dame/CJ until Durant comes back. Once KD is back, it just makes the Warriors impossible to contain down the stretch.

Na. GSW have elite wing defenders they can keep throwing at Dame/CJ... Thompson, Iggy and Green.. I doubt we see either of them "go off"
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#1035 » by ILOVEIT » Thu May 16, 2019 3:28 pm

One thing is super clear .... Portland can't beat the Warriors if the warriors are playing their A game. Portland grabs game 2 IF Warriors come out sleepy and sloppy...letting Damion and CJ get off to big time starts.

Otherwise, I don't see a defensive matchup that has Portland slowing down Klay or Curry....Portland beat Denver BECAUSE they were smaller and quicker and Denver couldn't match up. Warriors can in may ways.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#1036 » by OptionZero » Thu May 16, 2019 6:22 pm

Just looked at the regular season stats, and its closer than i woulda though
PDX: #3 offense / #16 defense (points per 100 possessions)
GSW: #1 offense / #13 offense

Of course, GSW's regular season defensive rating is completely misleading since they didn't give a ****
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#1037 » by Roy The Natural » Thu May 16, 2019 7:25 pm

HotTubMike wrote:
bb22 wrote:I hope the Blazers take game 2. I see the series seesawing between big games from Steph/Klay and Dame/CJ until Durant comes back. Once KD is back, it just makes the Warriors impossible to contain down the stretch.

Na. GSW have elite wing defenders they can keep throwing at Dame/CJ... Thompson, Iggy and Green.. I doubt we see either of them "go off"

They've "gone off" multiple times in the past against these same defenders though? They will have big games. Portland just needs to be a lot smarter about lineups to be competetive. Rodney Hood needs to be out there with the starters for spacing and size. Collins should be playing over Kanter and should blitz Curry in the pick and roll and use his length to bother Curry. Harkless and Collins double teaming Curry in a pick and roll situation is going to be EXTREMELY difficult on Curry.... I'm not sure I trust Stotts to make the proper adjustments though.

The Blazers could and should absolutely play the blitzing game that GS is employing on Lillard on Curry. Warriors defenders may be better, but there's no way you're going to convince me that a Collins/Harkless blitz isn't an immediate pass out for Curry.

The most obvious thing for Portland to do is play with:

Collins
Aminu
Harkless
CJ
Lillard

With Hood coming on for large stretches, I would have Hood come in when ANY single one of Green/Klay/Curry sit. Hood could also play in the starting lineup in place of Aminu. With a lineup of:

Collins
Harkless
Hood
CJ
Lillard

With the 1st lineup, my thought is sticking Harkless on Curry, and blitzing Green/Bogut P&Rs with Aminu or Collins. That level of length necessitates a near immediate pass out by Curry. The offense won't likely be great, but that's the best defensive matchup for Portland IMO.

The 2nd lineup I throw Hood on Curry, and blitz with Harkless or Collins in 1-4 and 1-5 P&Rs. Hood isn't the greatest defender, but he's still pretty long, and hasn't been a complete sieve for Portland to this point. Still a difficult time for Curry to get up many shots as the ballhandler. Portland's offense will look a lot better if the Warriors are content to give Hood open looks all game. Portland should also make a concerted effort with this lineup to get Hood on Curry in the post. In both lineups you have to keep CJ on Klay unfortunately, and hide Lillard on Iggy. But the Blazers in these lineups are at least mobile, and can chase on the defensive end.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,824

Post#1038 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu May 16, 2019 8:24 pm

Do I want to see Steph Curry hit so many threes again?

Easy answer:

So please don't do that. thanks, from Blazers fans everywhere.
deadfeather
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#1039 » by deadfeather » Thu May 16, 2019 10:26 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:One thing is super clear .... Portland can't beat the Warriors if the warriors are playing their A game. Portland grabs game 2 IF Warriors come out sleepy and sloppy...letting Damion and CJ get off to big time starts.

Otherwise, I don't see a defensive matchup that has Portland slowing down Klay or Curry....Portland beat Denver BECAUSE they were smaller and quicker and Denver couldn't match up. Warriors can in may ways.

Portland couldnt beat 20 out of the 30 teams in this league if the other team plays their A game. People forget Portland didnt win anything this off season the other teams just laid eggs.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,834

Post#1040 » by whatisacenter » Thu May 16, 2019 10:41 pm

deadfeather wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:One thing is super clear .... Portland can't beat the Warriors if the warriors are playing their A game. Portland grabs game 2 IF Warriors come out sleepy and sloppy...letting Damion and CJ get off to big time starts.

Portland couldnt beat 20 out of the 30 teams in this league if the other team plays their A game. People forget Portland didnt win anything this off season the other teams just laid eggs.

You must be one of the most uninformed posters on here or you are an irrational Blazers hater. Which one?
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe

Return to The General Board