Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand?

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus, PockyCandy, Prez, Yuri Vaultin, ken6199, Dirk

User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 37,339
And1: 42,231
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#121 » by clyde21 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:51 pm

Baski wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Baski wrote:Exactly this. Voter fatigue, Dray/Klay/Iggy declining/coasting, the annual injury, the possibility of whoever they sign with KD's capspace not being half as good as KD, the fatigue from 2 consecutive finals runs, the momentum the Cavs had after 2016 plus the establishment of the "Curry blueprint" as another poster put it and a bunch of others stick out as factors that would work against Curry winning another MVP, let alone going all the way to a 2nd championship. And then there's 2018 and 2019 too. It's............silly to assume not signing KD might actually cause things to turn out better than they have for them.


i don't think anyone is suggesting that....i think people are saying that they're just funner to watch without KD.

KD made our margin of error that much greater though, especially in the POs when things get bogged down.

My initial response was to a poster who said basically that. If you're not gonna follow conversations don't jump in with statements like "I don't think anyone said that".


No, ur response was to a post saying that Steph might have one another ring or two without KD, in which you disagreed, talking about his durability etc.

he didn't say that things would've turned out BETTER without KD...he just said that Steph might have still accumulated more accolades with or without KD. do you disagree?

and don't accuse me of not following the convo when you can't even keep up with your own posts.
#freepalestine
#BernieBro
User avatar
RoyceDa59
RealGM
Posts: 20,003
And1: 3,696
Joined: Aug 25, 2002
         

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#122 » by RoyceDa59 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:53 pm

I'd prefer to build around Durant. Curry is a terrible defender and requires a specific build of team to succeed. I think you can more effectively build around Durant.
TORONTO RAPTORS 2019 NBA CHAMPIONS! :o
User avatar
Baski
Veteran
Posts: 2,660
And1: 1,906
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
   

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#123 » by Baski » Wed May 15, 2019 6:54 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Baski wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
i don't think anyone is suggesting that....i think people are saying that they're just funner to watch without KD.

KD made our margin of error that much greater though, especially in the POs when things get bogged down.

My initial response was to a poster who said basically that. If you're not gonna follow conversations don't jump in with statements like "I don't think anyone said that".


No, ur response was to a post saying that Steph might have one another ring or two without KD, in which you disagreed, talking about his durability etc.

he didn't say that things would've turned out BETTER without KD...he just said that Steph might have still accumulated more accolades with or without KD. do you disagree?

and don't accuse me of not following the convo when you can't even keep up with your own posts.

Sigh. His was a response to my response. He cut out the post I was initially responding to, which said that Curry gave up a top 10 spot by allowing KD to join. Again if you can't follow the convo, don't jump in.
Funniest Nicknames for NBA players I've ever heard on realgm:
1. Nicholas Kaboom
2. Lasoftus Aldridge
3. Glass
4. LeBaby
5. Zaza Pacheapshot
6. Stone Cold Steve Adams
7. Rapestaps Rapezingis :lol: :lol: :lol:
8. Yawnnis Icantshootthough
User avatar
Admiral-Kizaru
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,679
And1: 1,275
Joined: Jun 28, 2017
       

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#124 » by Admiral-Kizaru » Wed May 15, 2019 6:55 pm

Image

Dingo :oops:
Image
User avatar
iamworthy
RealGM
Posts: 17,001
And1: 3,696
Joined: Jul 20, 2007
Location: Ring City!!!
   

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#125 » by iamworthy » Wed May 15, 2019 6:56 pm

It's pretty clear if you watch the two play. and saying that is not a knock on curry whatsoever. Klay Thomson also recently just said Durant was the best player.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
User avatar
Admiral-Kizaru
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,679
And1: 1,275
Joined: Jun 28, 2017
       

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#126 » by Admiral-Kizaru » Wed May 15, 2019 7:13 pm

RoyceDa59 wrote:I'd prefer to build around Durant. Curry is a terrible defender and requires a specific build of team to succeed. I think you can more effectively build around Durant.


So is that the reason that Steph has succeeded at all levels no matter the level of players that are around him? Is that the reason Steph has more success than Durant despite Durant having played his entire career prior to GSW with Elite Level, MVP, HOF, DPOY, Record Breaking, Stat Stuffing, Loaded Talent?

Lets make a list prior to Durant coming to the Warriors who KD has played with

1. Westbrook
2. Harden
3. Ibaka
4. Adams
5. Reggie Jackson
6. Thabo
7. Collison
8. Derek Fisher
9. Perkins
10. Caron Butler
11. Jeremy Lamb
12. Roberson
13. Waiters
14. Felton
15. Enes Kanter
16. DJ Augustin

- Westbrook is an all-time great generation talent that has won MVP and has averaged a triple-double in the past 3 seasons when looking at impact stats when KD was on the Thunder, WB was by far the more impactful player compared to WB.

- Harden is an all-time great generation talent that has won an MVP and will likely finish 2nd for the 4th time in 5 years. Known as one of the greatest isolation scorers of all time, all nba caliber player and talent.

- Ibaka one of the best shot blockers and 3&D players in the league during his Prime when he was on OKC elite shot blocker and great roll man with agility and quickness to challenge most forwards and the strength to keep up with the strongest centers. Still in the league and just contributed to the Raptors victory on Sunday with 17 clutch points.

- Adams is known as one of the best interior defenders in the league, one of the best all-around rebounders and one of the strongest players in the league. He terrorized the Warriors during the 2016 WCF and made things very difficult. Most teams would kill to have a player of that Caliber especially a big man on their team.

- Reggie Jackson is a great starting point guard in this league and was a bloody backup on the OKC thunder system/team.

- Thabo was an elite defender in the league when he was on OKC. Literally one of the best wing defenders and a good 3&D player that the OKC team decided to start over James freakin Harden.

- Roberson is quite possibly the best perimeter defender in the league. If not for a horrific injury last year would and should have won DPOY for the Thunder and played suffocating man defense on the warriors during 2016 and suffocated the heck out of Kawhi during that 2016 playoffs as well. He can't shoot but if KD is such a great player, and easier to build around, his lack of shooting shouldn't be a detriment due to his ELITE defense.

- Enes Kanter one of the best post players in the league today and when healthy puts up 20/10 in his sleep with very little effort. HIs defense is horrible but, again, if Durant is easier to build around and the better player, this shouldn't be an issue right?



I could keep going but I'd like you to present some evidence of how KD is the easier player to build around when the man won nothing apart from individual accolades on loaded teams before coming to the Warriors.
Image
User avatar
Admiral-Kizaru
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,679
And1: 1,275
Joined: Jun 28, 2017
       

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#127 » by Admiral-Kizaru » Wed May 15, 2019 7:16 pm

iamworthy wrote:It's pretty clear if you watch the two play. and saying that is not a knock on curry whatsoever. Klay Thomson also recently just said Durant was the best player.

Read on Twitter
?s=21


What is he supposed to say? We don't need his ass? (They do due to weak and depleted bench) And if they're trying to get him to resign, they will do and say everything possible to appease his ego. And I don't understand what you mean "watch" them play. Watching them play, it's clear who teams think is the better player due to how they plan the game. You can't tell me the player that is allowed to play 1 v 1 and is single covered by players he has 6+ inches on is the better player when his running mate is quite literally drawing double or sometimes even triple attention by just walking to the other side of the court. :banghead:


The amount of cognitive dissonance is insane. Just because KD has all the physical tools needed to be the best player doesn't mean he actually uses it or is the best player. It's like insisting that Andrew Wiggins is a better player than say Trae Young because Wiggins has all the physical tools needed to be an elite player. The player actually has to use those tools and simply being able to score 1 v 1 because your teammate is taking all the attention away from you is not enough to warrant the better player label.
Image
Iplaytolose
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,519
And1: 189
Joined: May 10, 2011
   

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#128 » by Iplaytolose » Wed May 15, 2019 7:30 pm

Admiral-Kizaru wrote:
RoyceDa59 wrote:I'd prefer to build around Durant. Curry is a terrible defender and requires a specific build of team to succeed. I think you can more effectively build around Durant.


So is that the reason that Steph has succeeded at all levels no matter the level of players that are around him? Is that the reason Steph has more success than Durant despite Durant having played his entire career prior to GSW with Elite Level, MVP, HOF, DPOY, Record Breaking, Stat Stuffing, Loaded Talent?

Lets make a list prior to Durant coming to the Warriors who KD has played with

1. Westbrook
2. Harden
3. Ibaka
4. Adams
5. Reggie Jackson
6. Thabo
7. Collison
8. Derek Fisher
9. Perkins
10. Caron Butler
11. Jeremy Lamb
12. Roberson
13. Waiters
14. Felton
15. Enes Kanter
16. DJ Augustin

- Westbrook is an all-time great generation talent that has won MVP and has averaged a triple-double in the past 3 seasons when looking at impact stats when KD was on the Thunder, WB was by far the more impactful player compared to WB.

- Harden is an all-time great generation talent that has won an MVP and will likely finish 2nd for the 4th time in 5 years. Known as one of the greatest isolation scorers of all time, all nba caliber player and talent.

- Ibaka one of the best shot blockers and 3&D players in the league during his Prime when he was on OKC elite shot blocker and great roll man with agility and quickness to challenge most forwards and the strength to keep up with the strongest centers. Still in the league and just contributed to the Raptors victory on Sunday with 17 clutch points.

- Adams is known as one of the best interior defenders in the league, one of the best all-around rebounders and one of the strongest players in the league. He terrorized the Warriors during the 2016 WCF and made things very difficult. Most teams would kill to have a player of that Caliber especially a big man on their team.

- Reggie Jackson is a great starting point guard in this league and was a bloody backup on the OKC thunder system/team.

- Thabo was an elite defender in the league when he was on OKC. Literally one of the best wing defenders and a good 3&D player that the OKC team decided to start over James freakin Harden.

- Roberson is quite possibly the best perimeter defender in the league. If not for a horrific injury last year would and should have won DPOY for the Thunder and played suffocating man defense on the warriors during 2016 and suffocated the heck out of Kawhi during that 2016 playoffs as well. He can't shoot but if KD is such a great player, and easier to build around, his lack of shooting shouldn't be a detriment due to his ELITE defense.

- Enes Kanter one of the best post players in the league today and when healthy puts up 20/10 in his sleep with very little effort. HIs defense is horrible but, again, if Durant is easier to build around and the better player, this shouldn't be an issue right?



I could keep going but I'd like you to present some evidence of how KD is the easier player to build around when the man won nothing apart from individual accolades on loaded teams before coming to the Warriors.


Didn't the young core of OKC make it to a finals vs the Heat before the FO prematurely blew it up and mismanaged resigning players? I mean, they were supposed to lose to the heat in 2012, but that 2012 OKC team was on track to easily be a top 2-3 team in the NBA for years to come until the FO mismanaged it... The FO didn't give KD the chance to grow with the core of players he was the most successful with like Steph did...

And I don't know if I can agree with WB being more impactful than Durant when they played together, and Harden was not the player he is today when he played on OKC.
SenZu
Sophomore
Posts: 109
And1: 127
Joined: Aug 16, 2014

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#129 » by SenZu » Wed May 15, 2019 7:31 pm

picc wrote:How convenient this topic comes after the warriors play a porous defensive team for the first time this postseason. Gee, wonder if that could have anything to do with curry suddenly looking like god.

It's still relevant because this is essentially what KD faces nightly, and certainly what he faced in the last 2 finals with Curry getting all the defensive attention, people were quick to label KD the best when he was essentially playing CJ McCollum's role.

You've got to wonder have people forgotten Durant used to have some of the biggest regular season to post season efficiency drop offs in the league before he joined Golden State, and when teams could actually lock in on him?
Vladimir777
Pro Prospect
Posts: 903
And1: 656
Joined: May 12, 2018
 

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#130 » by Vladimir777 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:13 pm

What if other teams double Steph because it’s EASIER to shut him down than it is KD? So they’d rather shut down ONE of them rather than NONE.

Just a thought.
TwoStarz
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,929
And1: 1,066
Joined: Apr 20, 2014

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#131 » by TwoStarz » Wed May 15, 2019 8:16 pm

Vladimir777 wrote:What if other teams double Steph because it’s EASIER to shut him down than it is KD? So they’d rather shut down ONE of them rather than NONE.

Just a thought.

This is actually a fair point
Peregrine01
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,687
And1: 1,354
Joined: Sep 12, 2012

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#132 » by Peregrine01 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:25 pm

Vladimir777 wrote:What if other teams double Steph because it’s EASIER to shut him down than it is KD? So they’d rather shut down ONE of them rather than NONE.

Just a thought.


If it was so easy to shut him down, why would they put two guys on him instead of Durant? It’s quite obvious that teams are far more fearful when Steph has the ball than when Durant has it.
Vladimir777
Pro Prospect
Posts: 903
And1: 656
Joined: May 12, 2018
 

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#133 » by Vladimir777 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:29 pm

Peregrine01 wrote:
Vladimir777 wrote:What if other teams double Steph because it’s EASIER to shut him down than it is KD? So they’d rather shut down ONE of them rather than NONE.

Just a thought.


If it was so easy to shut him down, why would they put two guys on him instead of Durant? It’s quite obvious that teams are far more fearful when Steph has the ball than when Durant has it.


First off, I'm not saying it's EASY to shut ANYONE down here. I'm saying maybe Steph can't be shut down with one defender, but CAN be shut down with two (I think this is a fair assessment). I suspect it'd be easier to shut down a small guard than it would KD. So they throw two defenders on him to do their best to shut him down and live with the results of KD feasting.

I'm not saying it is this way or not. Just a theory. I just imagine it would be easier to shut down a small guy like Curry than KD, so they gameplan to do so.
User avatar
cpower
RealGM
Posts: 12,378
And1: 4,597
Joined: Mar 03, 2011
   

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#134 » by cpower » Wed May 15, 2019 8:40 pm

Vladimir777 wrote:What if other teams double Steph because it’s EASIER to shut him down than it is KD? So they’d rather shut down ONE of them rather than NONE.

Just a thought.

you realize teams have been doubling Curry for 4 years and how many times he has been completely shut down ?
27/6/6 on 62%TS and 7.7 BPM...for 4 years of playoff runs

I can't believe teams are so dumb to implement something that does not work at all.
Peregrine01
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,687
And1: 1,354
Joined: Sep 12, 2012

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#135 » by Peregrine01 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:41 pm

Vladimir777 wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:
Vladimir777 wrote:What if other teams double Steph because it’s EASIER to shut him down than it is KD? So they’d rather shut down ONE of them rather than NONE.

Just a thought.


If it was so easy to shut him down, why would they put two guys on him instead of Durant? It’s quite obvious that teams are far more fearful when Steph has the ball than when Durant has it.


First off, I'm not saying it's EASY to shut ANYONE down here. I'm saying maybe Steph can't be shut down with one defender, but CAN be shut down with two (I think this is a fair assessment). I suspect it'd be easier to shut down a small guard than it would KD. So they throw two defenders on him to do their best to shut him down and live with the results of KD feasting.

I'm not saying it is this way or not. Just a theory. I just imagine it would be easier to shut down a small guy like Curry than KD, so they gameplan to do so.


I think the fact that a whole team’s defense prioritizes Curry so much shows just how much they fear him versus the other star. If a KD-centric offense was more potent, they’d do it the other way. I don’t think it has much to do with how much easier it is to shut down one style over the other.

if they really wanted to shut down KD’s isolation scoring they’d send the doubles fast. Instead, smart teams (especially Houston) have deliberately invited that.
Triples333
Analyst
Posts: 3,011
And1: 2,867
Joined: Sep 05, 2016

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#136 » by Triples333 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:52 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Baski wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
yea, Steph can get 'shut down' sometimes as we clearly saw in the Houston series, but it's not like Houston sent 1 person to shut him down...Houston was sending doubles and allocating almost all their resources to stop shut him down...that counts for something. Meanwhile, KD was getting match ups vs. Austin Rivers and Chris Paul the entire time.

This is tiresome. You do not need to remind everyone who highlights Curry's weaknesses that he gets treated like a superstar. We know. Her doesn't get bonus points for that.
I didn't compare the two of them, nor did I say Curry is trash. KD has helped Curry far far more than he's hurt him. That's all.


no one is saying otherwise? but when you say Steph gets easily shut down, you need to provide context. teams are loading up on Steph to shut him down. you're ignoring THAT part. :roll:

Also bear in mind that the "shut down" Steph people sometimes refer to in the 2016 Finals still put up 24 on better efficiency than Finals MVP Lebron or widely acclaimed offensive superstar of the series Kyrie. Nobody else has scoring expectations like Curry. We have seen the likes of Kyrie, KD, Lebron etc have countless far worse offensive series and not receive anyt ing comparable to the backlash Curry will get if he does not completely pop off like were accustomed to.
freethedevil
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,162
And1: 2,123
Joined: Dec 09, 2018
         

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#137 » by freethedevil » Wed May 15, 2019 9:02 pm

RoyceDa59 wrote:I'd prefer to build around Durant. Curry is a terrible defender and requires a specific build of team to succeed. I think you can more effectively build around Durant.

Durant has never been good enough to build a defence around, and curry has never been a terrible defender lol
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 37,339
And1: 42,231
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#138 » by clyde21 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:07 pm

cpower wrote:
Vladimir777 wrote:What if other teams double Steph because it’s EASIER to shut him down than it is KD? So they’d rather shut down ONE of them rather than NONE.

Just a thought.

you realize teams have been doubling Curry for 4 years and how many times he has been completely shut down ?
27/6/6 on 62%TS and 7.7 BPM...for 4 years of playoff runs

I can't believe teams are so dumb to implement something that does not work at all.


TeRiRbLe In ThE PlaYOFfs...just 27/6/6 on 62 TS%?
#freepalestine
#BernieBro
User avatar
Young gun 6
Starter
Posts: 2,091
And1: 3,366
Joined: Dec 23, 2014
     

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#139 » by Young gun 6 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:56 pm

More unstoppable on offense.
About 150 times better as a defender.
Better rebounder.
Better shot blocker.
Better scorer.
Better at getting a bucket when you NEED one.
Better at scoring out of a double team.
Passes the eye test when watching both (isn’t as flashy but more pure scorer and actually defends).
Da ThRONe
Starter
Posts: 2,024
And1: 1,218
Joined: Sep 26, 2016
   

Re: Durant better than Curry?!?! Make me understand? 

Post#140 » by Da ThRONe » Wed May 15, 2019 10:01 pm

It's simple both guys are A+ on offense Durant is a A- on defense while Curry is a C+

Return to The General Board