Should Pelicans pair Zion with RJ Barrett?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Should Pelicans trade for Knick's #3 pick and draft RJ Barrett?

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 119

LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Re: Should Pelicans pair Zion with RJ Barrett? 

Post#61 » by LKN » Wed May 15, 2019 10:57 pm

Only if they think RJ Barrett is worth trading for/taking at #3.

Going out of your way to get him because he's buddies with Zion is stupid as hell
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,837

Post#62 » by Domejandro » Wed May 15, 2019 10:58 pm

drekwins wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Those points are a pretty slanted from the reality of the situation, but sure. Force Anthony Davis' hand.

Walk away from....
35% max (compared to 30%)
7.5% raises (compared to 4.5%)
5 year contract (compared to 4 years)
A core of Jrue Holiday, Zion Williamson, and Himself (+Whomever they net in free-agency)

If I am David Griffin, I am happy to hold out and make him make the decision.

Of course, I wouldn't be opposed to listening to trade offers, but frankly, I would be perfectly happy moving forward with what New Orleans has, if I was the President of Basketball Operations.

What makes you think that he hasn't made a decision? The decision was clearly made last year. He has given no indication of any hope that he wants to be in NO. He made his decision, accepted the fierce backlash from fans, other coaches/executives/analysts and is ready to move on. He even made it clear that he will only resign long-term with a select number of teams (LAL, NYK, Mil and LAC). Then, after the LAL trade fell through, he even wanted out so bad that he stated that he'd accept a trade to any of the other 29 teams in the league... but would not sign long-term unless it was one of the main 4.

He has been very clear and his agent re-affirmed it last night. Staying in NO is not even a consideration.

Awesome, then he can walk in free-agency. Until then, I'll try to convince him to stay with Zion Williamson, Jrue Holiday, and whatever free-agents I can bring in, not a problem.

Fans like to project a lot more pressure on teams to trade their superstars than there actually is. If a team offers the moon and more for Anthony Davis, fair enough, but there really isn't THAT much pressure to trade him compared to the reward of pairing him with Zion and Jrue Holiday.
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,162

Post#63 » by drekwins » Wed May 15, 2019 11:12 pm

Domejandro wrote:
drekwins wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Those points are a pretty slanted from the reality of the situation, but sure. Force Anthony Davis' hand.

Walk away from....
35% max (compared to 30%)
7.5% raises (compared to 4.5%)
5 year contract (compared to 4 years)
A core of Jrue Holiday, Zion Williamson, and Himself (+Whomever they net in free-agency)

If I am David Griffin, I am happy to hold out and make him make the decision.

Of course, I wouldn't be opposed to listening to trade offers, but frankly, I would be perfectly happy moving forward with what New Orleans has, if I was the President of Basketball Operations.

What makes you think that he hasn't made a decision? The decision was clearly made last year. He has given no indication of any hope that he wants to be in NO. He made his decision, accepted the fierce backlash from fans, other coaches/executives/analysts and is ready to move on. He even made it clear that he will only resign long-term with a select number of teams (LAL, NYK, Mil and LAC). Then, after the LAL trade fell through, he even wanted out so bad that he stated that he'd accept a trade to any of the other 29 teams in the league... but would not sign long-term unless it was one of the main 4.

He has been very clear and his agent re-affirmed it last night. Staying in NO is not even a consideration.

Awesome, then he can walk in free-agency. Until then, I'll try to convince him to stay with Zion Williamson, Jrue Holiday, and whatever free-agents I can bring in, not a problem.

Fans like to project a lot more pressure on teams to trade their superstars than there actually is. If a team offers the moon and more for Anthony Davis, fair enough, but there really isn't THAT much pressure to trade him compared to the reward of pairing him with Zion and Jrue Holiday.

So, you want Zion to suffer the same fate as CP3 and Baron. Play their 7 years and leave over roster/team-building issues. Put aside the pride and take all of the assets. Accumulate as much talent as possible and keep the cap VERY healthy prior to Zion's first extension. If you get 2-4 very good-to-great young guys on rookie deals with a healthy salary cap, you can then add 2 max cats around them. Imagine the following:

Max Contract Cap Space
Max Contract Cap Space
Zion
RJ
Knox
DSJ
Mitch
2020 NO Pick
2021 NO, NYK and DAL Picks
2022 NO Pick
2023 NO, NYK and DAL Picks

If you're looking to keep Zion long-term, that's how you do it. Bring in his best friend and accumulate assets to keep growing the team. Don't let pride get in the way. That is of no productive use.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,837

Post#64 » by Domejandro » Wed May 15, 2019 11:23 pm

drekwins wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
drekwins wrote:

So, you want Zion to suffer the same fate as CP3 and Baron. Play their 7 years and leave over roster/team-building issues. Put aside the pride and take all of the assets. Accumulate as much talent as possible and keep the cap VERY healthy prior to Zion's first extension. If you get 2-4 very good-to-great young guys on rookie deals with a healthy salary cap, you can then add 2 max cats around them. Imagine the following:

Max Contract Cap Space
Max Contract Cap Space
Zion
RJ
Knox
DSJ
Mitch
2020 NO Pick
2022 NO Pick

If you're looking to keep Zion long-term, that's how you do it. Bring in his best friend and accumulate assets to keep growing the team. Don't let pride get in the way. That is of no productive use.

I mean, sure, if New York is literally offering....

Kevin Knox, Dennis Smith Jr., Mitchell Robinson, #3, Dallas' 2021 First Round Draft Pick, New York's 2021 First Round Draft Pick, Dallas' 2023 First Round Draft Pick, and New York's 2023 First Round Draft Pick

for

Anthony Davis

....You definitely have to heavily consider accepting that trade. That said, I doubt New York is currently offering five First Round Draft Picks (including this year's #3), along with Kevin Knox, Dennis Smith Jr., and Mitchell Robinson.
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,162

Post#65 » by drekwins » Wed May 15, 2019 11:41 pm

Domejandro wrote:
drekwins wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Awesome, then he can walk in free-agency. Until then, I'll try to convince him to stay with Zion Williamson, Jrue Holiday, and whatever free-agents I can bring in, not a problem.

Max Contract Cap Space
Max Contract Cap Space
Zion
RJ
Knox
DSJ
Mitch
2020 NO Pick
2022 NO Pick

Kevin Knox, Dennis Smith Jr., Mitchell Robinson, #3, Dallas' 2021 First Round Draft Pick, New York's 2021 First Round Draft Pick, Dallas' 2023 First Round Draft Pick, and New York's 2023 First Round Draft Pick

for

Anthony Davis

....You definitely have to heavily consider accepting that trade. That said, I doubt New York is currently offering five First Round Draft Picks (including this year's #3), along with Kevin Knox, Dennis Smith Jr., and Mitchell Robinson.

Would it not make NY better? Would it not increase their odds of KD and Kyrie?

If you're NY, you have to do whatever possible to secure KD/Kyrie. If the AD trade ensures the other two, then you do it without thinking twice. The Knicks have to shed salary anyways and can always buy future late first round picks. I'd be more than comfortable to offer:

RJ
2021 NYK and 2021 Dal
2023 NYK and 2023 Dal
Lance Thomas (salary filler - non-guaranteed)
DSJ
Knox
Trier
Ntilikina

The hope is to keep Mitch. But, if push came to shove, I'd include him too.

C - Mitch
PF - AD
SF - KD
SG - Dotson
PG - Kyrie
Hroz
Pro Prospect
And1: 468

Post#66 » by Hroz » Wed May 15, 2019 11:48 pm

No. Barrett and Zion have shown they can't win together :-p
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#67 » by jimmy keys » Thu May 16, 2019 12:05 am

Domejandro wrote:
drekwins wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Awesome, then he can walk in free-agency. Until then, I'll try to convince him to stay with Zion Williamson, Jrue Holiday, and whatever free-agents I can bring in, not a problem.

Max Contract Cap Space
Max Contract Cap Space
Zion
RJ
Knox
DSJ
Mitch
2020 NO Pick
2022 NO Pick

for

Anthony Davis

If I'm NO I need all dem picks. You can keep DJS & the rest of them. I need the picks, 5 at minimum including the #3.

Same goes for LA. Kuzma, Ball, Ingram, meh give me picks. I tell LA to trade those guys for future picks if they want AD.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,936

Post#68 » by Effigy » Thu May 16, 2019 12:17 am

NoBias wrote:
Effigy wrote:
baldur wrote:will memphis select rj barrett or ja morant? what do you reckon?

Everyone assumes it will be Ja. That's who I'd take. I'm not high on Barrett at all. But you never know.

Memphis hasn’t had an elite wing in their entire existence. They’d be crazy to draft Ja over RJ.

They could draft Barret and that would still be true (imo) so..... I’d take Ja.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#69 » by SlowPaced » Thu May 16, 2019 12:34 am

Zion and RJ are not a good fit together. Having been teammates doesn't guarantee a fit at the next level. Their fit looked problematic at Duke to begin with.
evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,760

Post#70 » by evilpimp972 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:08 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:
evilpimp972 wrote:
jonjames wrote:Jrue Holiday
Rj Barrett
Zion Williamson
Julius Randle
Mitchell Robinson

That's a really nice team.

Id love to watch them bricks though. Worst shooting team in the nba

Depends. Are the Lakers cleaning house with their roster? If not, Rondo, Ball, LeBron, Ingram, Kuzma, McGee and Beasley wanna talk :rofl:

Who would have guessed that Julius Randle was going to shoot better from 3 than Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, and LeBron and that only Kuzma would outshoot him from the free throw line.

I guessed it, but fellow Lakers fans told me Randle couldnt improve like he was 31 yo
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,756

Post#71 » by KingDavid » Thu May 16, 2019 9:04 am

SFour wrote:We know there are reports that Zion would prefer to play in New York, do you guys think that the Pelicans should try and trade AD for the Knicks #3 pick (and other assets) and then draft RJ Barrett in order to make Zion more happy with the situation he's in.

The Lakers could possibly offer a better package, but that might not matter if the Pelicans main goal was to make Zion happy and build around him.

If you're a Knicks fan, do you do this trade for AD, assuming that it would attract free agents like Kyrie and KD?

Rj will continue the tradition started at Duke and steal Zion's shots for a huge chunk of his career. So of course, lol.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#72 » by Ayt » Thu May 16, 2019 9:40 am

NoBias wrote:
Effigy wrote:

Everyone assumes it will be Ja. That's who I'd take. I'm not high on Barrett at all. But you never know.

Memphis hasn’t had an elite wing in their entire existence. They’d be crazy to draft Ja over RJ.

How would Barrett change that?
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Post#73 » by Dupp » Thu May 16, 2019 9:41 am

The knicks package looks good but what scenarios are they offering this? What if they only get kemba for example?
evilution
Senior
And1: 709

Post#74 » by evilution » Thu May 16, 2019 10:23 am

NoBias wrote:
Effigy wrote:

Not crazy, and they already announced they're picking Ja unless something bizarre happens.
VCBC
Senior
And1: 1,114

Post#75 » by VCBC » Thu May 16, 2019 11:10 am

Domejandro wrote:Just keep Anthony Davis and force his hand. If he leaves, he leaves, so be it. Why would you break up your only opportunity to have a core of Anthony Davis, Zion Williamson, and Jrue Holiday?

This isn't NBA2k, it's real life where GMs have the mindset of portfolio managers at HFs or LOs. There's no "forcing hands" here. Griffin will immediately lose his job if he keeps AD and he leaves via FA and Griffin is holding a bag of air.

0 chance Griffin goes into season with AD if he reiterates he wants to be dealt during a 1on1 meeting. There's a distinct difference between a new team convincing a player to stay post trade ala Kawhi than the same team convincing a player to stay post announcement of wanting out.
JamesDolan
Junior
And1: 231

Post#76 » by JamesDolan » Thu May 16, 2019 11:20 am

No freshman comes into the NBA that does not need to work on his outside shot.

RJ is no different. But he got good mechanics and he is a hard worker. He going to be great NBA player for years to come.

I think he is going to be stud at the next level. I like him at the next level and the kid can really pass the rock.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using RealGM mobile app
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#77 » by The_Hater » Thu May 16, 2019 11:54 am

giberish wrote:I didn't see a good on-court fit with Zion and Barrett at Duke. Though I don't see anyone else as at #3 that's a better option.

Duke lost only 3 games in which both of them played last season and they both put up monster numbers as freshman. Not sure I see that.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#78 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu May 16, 2019 12:00 pm

Well if the Knicks go for it they have to give up the farm to get him. I think hes worth it but its alot. This years pick, future picks, all our best young prospects. And I dont even know that we could then still sign both Durant and Kyrie if they wanna come

And I'm sure all the responses will sound similar to the ones I heard before th he Melo trade, how all our assets really suck and wed be so lucky to get a bonafide superstar at 26. Who the hell is Knox or Robinson compared to AD......only for the second it happened everybody change tune like Monday morning quarterbacks and say how could the Knicks be dumb enough to give up the farm.
TheProfessor
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#79 » by TheProfessor » Thu May 16, 2019 1:09 pm

Still think AD for MEM pick w/Tatum+ draft picks this year is the way to go. That Memphis pick is a massive asset, either they convey it next year, which ends up probably being a top 10 pick or the year after which is going to be one of the most talented drafts in the last 25years as the one and done rule should be done by then. Zion+Tatum plus a warchest of picks doesn't sound too bad.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,534

Post#80 » by Alatan » Thu May 16, 2019 1:23 pm

Barret is bad. In a year all you people will be asking how did he fail and blame it on some strange personality disorder. It happens every year and this year it will be Barret.

Return to The General Board