You're David Griffin. How do you rebuild the Pelicans with Zion?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

DB43
Junior
And1: 195

Re: You're David Griffin. How do you rebuild the Pelicans with Zion? 

Post#21 » by DB43 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:57 pm

I'm trading AD to the Knicks for #3, Knox and fillers, and I'm trading Jrue to Phx for #6, JJ and fillers
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,347

Post#22 » by Johnny Bball » Wed May 15, 2019 8:57 pm

Trade it all for picks and last years draft picks, except current youth. Tank one year. Load up cap space and then proceed. Short rebuild.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#23 » by SK21209 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:58 pm

DB43 wrote:I'm trading AD to the Knicks for #3, Knox and fillers, and I'm trading Jrue to Phx for #6, JJ and fillers

This except I'd push to get Robinson from the Knicks too.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,764

Post#24 » by nikster » Wed May 15, 2019 9:13 pm

coldfish wrote:AD is 25. You keep him.

Dump a contract using a future first, sign Butler or someone, get ring chasers, win titles.

Jrue
Butler
ring chaser
Zion
AD

Is a really nasty team. Not sure why people want to make this so hard. If Zion pans out, few teams will ever be able to say they have players as young and talented as Zion and AD playing next to each other. You could put that team together and contend for 7 years.

It’s a big gamble, but if they keep AD they are way better of than in any other trade scenario
method
RealGM
And1: 299

Post#25 » by method » Wed May 15, 2019 9:20 pm

Davis wants out. He has said he will not resign with the Celtics. He had said that he will only re-sign with the Knicks or the Lakers heard it on The odd couple podcast. So it's basically between the Lakers and the Knicks
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,694

Post#26 » by Domejandro » Wed May 15, 2019 9:31 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Keep Anthony Davis and Jrue Holiday and clear Solomon Hill (and E'Twaun Moore, if needed) to sign an additional, quality free-agent (or a collection of quality role-players), realizing that this is likely your one chance to have a core this good.

This is the play I'd love to see. I don't think we will because I think New Orleans will feel like they have to get something back for AD, but if you knew he'd give it his all even if he planned on walking, if Zion is really what many think he is right away, and you could add a 4th piece by clearing out some dead weight, that's a really interesting team immediately.

What I expect is for Griffin to cave to Paul/AD and send him to a team he wants to go to for a pitiful return, they ask Jrue to stay and be the leader of a young, bad team and what could have been never is.

Why would Griffin do that? No incentive to cave like that, David Griffin is 100% set in that job.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,764

Post#27 » by Upperclass » Wed May 15, 2019 9:32 pm

Yeah you keep an unmotivated and unhappy AD that will end up faking an injury and then leaving after the season. That's how GM's get fire immediately.

AD will end up a Laker for the #4, Kuzma, Bi, Hart and probably Wagner and salary filler

or AD will be a Knick for #3, Mitchell Rob, DSJ, Knox, and salary filler.

The only other team that may take a shot is Boston. but Kyrie is resigning.. then you put yourself in the same situation of giving up assets for a guy who's leaving after a year. AD isnt staying to play with Rozier and an injured Hayward.
(if Boston is smart.. you keep your other assets and look to move Hayward for a guy like Jrue or Conley and then draft Bol Bol or Jaxson Hayes to work in the middle.

Philly SHOULD flip Ben Simmons and filler for AD if they resign Butler.. but will I dont see them having the heart to do so.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,413

Post#28 » by infinite11285 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:35 pm

Too much damage has been done. Keeping him just to sit him again isn’t a viable option. It sets you up to be left with nothing when he inevitably leaves as an FA.

Do you see AD re-signing in Boston without Kyrie, Brown, or Tatum? I don’t. On top of that those Boston picks hold little to no value.

You aren’t going to get equal value in return in an AD trade. Accept that. Trade AD and JRue for youth, and do a full youth rebuild.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Post#29 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 15, 2019 9:39 pm

Domejandro wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Keep Anthony Davis and Jrue Holiday and clear Solomon Hill (and E'Twaun Moore, if needed) to sign an additional, quality free-agent (or a collection of quality role-players), realizing that this is likely your one chance to have a core this good.

This is the play I'd love to see. I don't think we will because I think New Orleans will feel like they have to get something back for AD, but if you knew he'd give it his all even if he planned on walking, if Zion is really what many think he is right away, and you could add a 4th piece by clearing out some dead weight, that's a really interesting team immediately.

What I expect is for Griffin to cave to Paul/AD and send him to a team he wants to go to for a pitiful return, they ask Jrue to stay and be the leader of a young, bad team and what could have been never is.

Why would Griffin do that? No incentive to cave like that, David Griffin is 100% set in that job.

Because Agents hold a ton of power in the NBA and Klutch is a powerful agency. He's got to work with them in the future. This is not a reflection on Griffin in any way. I think he was a great hire who will do a good job there. I think this is just a no-win situation with Davis.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Bknight4three
Junior
And1: 219

Post#30 » by Bknight4three » Wed May 15, 2019 10:04 pm

1st order of business: I am taking the Lakers offer, but sending PHX lonzo and taking back Bridges.

2nd order of business: I’m selling Jrue to the highest bidder. I’d ideally want the best draft pick available but I’d consider packages centered around young players that fit the timeline and fit with Zion (SGA, Myles Turner, etc.)

4th pick- Draft Garland. I think he tailor made for today’s nba and would be in consideration for the 2nd pick if he hadn’t gotten hurt. Love his game and I’m willing to take on some risk.

What I love about this strategy: The NBA draft odds have flattened and this team probably wins ~33 games next season and has a 6% chance at #1 overall next season. I have a young core and the pieces I need to make my team better once my guys are ready to compete.

I’ve got a team full of young kids who will learn to play together. Garland, Hart, Bridges, Kuzma, Ingram, and ZION.
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,673

Post#31 » by dorkestra » Wed May 15, 2019 10:15 pm

AD for Mitchell Robinson, Kevin Knox, DSJr, 3rd pick and filler.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,882

Post#32 » by Effigy » Wed May 15, 2019 10:29 pm

I'm not sure they should trade Jrue. He's only 28. He could be a good vet for them to learn from. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get another PG of similar skill, and that's such an important position.
theocratic_n'_nature
Pro Prospect
And1: 372

Post#33 » by theocratic_n'_nature » Wed May 15, 2019 10:54 pm

If I'm Griffin I bet on myself. If the teams I send him to are going to take the year to try to sell AD on staying, why shouldn't I? My approach would be to increase the profile of the team and by extension my best players - fill the arena and make noise in the playoffs.

Precursor to Steps
- Clean house and get employees that will work hard and aspire to be the best run organization in sports.

Step 1: Draft Zion - promptly hire a personal shooting coach for the summer (take 300-400 3pt shots/day); hire personal chef for entirety of season to make sure his weight doesn't balloon out of control.

Step 2: Throw boatload of cash at Jimmy Butler. (credit to Coldfish for suggesting this one) This team needs a vocal leader and someone that can come up clutch in the playoffs. He also doubles as a pseudo point guard and can take turns initiating the offense with Jrue (when Payton isn't playing)

Step 3: Fill out roster: Sign Trevor Ariza or Danny Green. Another veteran that can help Zion adjust and provide that 3 and D presence. Resign Randle.

Roster:
Holiday Main Bench: Payton/Moore/Randle
Butler
Ariza
Zion
AD

Step 4: Invest in a G-league development strategy - this has worked wonders for my Raptors as we not only discover hidden gems but give them a platform to develop according to the organization's needs. Result: a steady crop of cheap but solidly developed role players that can fill in for injured players without missing a beat AND increase a pool of positive value players to be used in trade scenarios.

Step 5: Partner with local 'establishments' to cater to visiting players - either to increase the desirability of NO to possible FA and/or get them tired for the next day's game (it's New Orleans damnit, take advantage of it!).

Step 6: Partner with the city and outsource PR to a marketing firm with national capabilities to increase the profile of the organization and the city itself. Find avenues to get not only local deals for your players, but especially national deal opportunities for the players to increase their brand and their bank account.

Step 7: Hire a team of private investigators and dig up all the dirt on Klutch sports, specifically Rich Paul and then blackmail him to drop AD as a client or all his dirty laundry will be a regular staple on TMZ and Good Housekeeping for the next 2 years.

Step 8: Resign AD

Step 9: If I can't achieve step 2 - trade AD and Jrue for picks and prospects and jump straight to step 4.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#34 » by Wilber85 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:01 pm

Trade Zion for a Lebron and #4
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#35 » by jbk1234 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:09 pm

infinite11285 wrote:Too much damage has been done. Keeping him just to sit him again isn’t a viable option because you then set yourself up for him to leave and you get nothing in return.

Do you see AD re-signing in Boston without Kyrie, Brown, or Tatum? I don’t. On top of that those Boston picks hold little to no value.

You aren’t going to get equal value in return in an AD trade. Accept that. Trade AD and JRue for youth, and do a full youth rebuild.

I agree that too much damage has been done. His body language was awful when he was on the court after the deadline. Also, him publicly reaffirming he wanted out on the day the Pelicans won the first pick was awful. You don't want to let ego get in the way of retaining good talent, but at a certain point it becomes a matter of pride for your organization.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,528

Post#36 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:13 pm

Send Holiday to the spurs

Holiday + Frank Jackson

for

D.Murray
Jakob P
Patty Mills
Bertans or Marco (I'd ask for Bertans of course)
+19

Then i'd go Davis for #3 + Knox + Mitch Robinson + DSJ + Lance Thomas

After that i'd go

DSJ + 19 for Luke Kennard + 15

2019 pelicans

D.Murray / E.Payton
RJ / Luke Kennard
Knox / #15
Zion / Bertans
Mitchell Robinson / Jakob

2019 Spurs

Holiday
White
Demar
Rudy
LMA

In Raptor Ball I Trust
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,267

Post#37 » by mtron929 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:15 pm

One out of the box idea that I would explore with the Celtics is to relax on the players that you will receive (say that you will be content with Tatum + Smart + picks) but request that the Celtics add Brad Stevens to the package. The Celtics might mull it over given that Stevens had a bad time coaching Kyrie + rest and adding Davis to the mix will require managing more egos. So then, I would roll out with

Jrue, Smart, Tatum, Zion, Free Agent Center
Coach: Brad Stevens
spacemonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,661

Post#38 » by spacemonkey » Wed May 15, 2019 11:20 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
DSJ + 19 for Luke Kennard + 15

2019 pelicans

Pistons just can't wait to do this deal...
syrus3
Pro Prospect
And1: 904

Post#39 » by syrus3 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:20 pm

I don’t see the Lakers getting Davis.

“Let’s send our star to a rival team in our own conference.”
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#40 » by SpeedyG » Thu May 16, 2019 12:35 am

AD to Celtics for Tatum package

Holiday to Jazz, Suns, or Magic (whoever loses out on Conley, Russell, PG FA market)

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09

Return to The General Board