Did Philly Abandon the Process too Early?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

knuckles862
Analyst
And1: 2,571

Re: Did Philly Abandon the Process too Early? 

Post#21 » by knuckles862 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:32 pm

I say no because most of the assets they gave up we're not that great anyway. They didn't give up much for Butler they might have for Harris but nothing crazy in the end. Also for cap reasons it was smarter to use the max spots before summons contract was due
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#22 » by MikeM » Wed May 15, 2019 10:34 pm

The Harris trade was a complete disaster. And I consider that the moment they abandoned the Process. So yes.
Basileus777
General Manager
And1: 2,031

Post#23 » by Basileus777 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:46 pm

They had to make these moves before all of their players were off their rookie contracts and their roster flexibility was gone.

And the cornerstone of their franchise is Embiid, a player ready to win now and with an uncertain future.
spacemonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,661

Post#24 » by spacemonkey » Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 pm

They did have the time limit of basically Simmons' rookie contract coming to an end.

I mean, if Fultz actually worked out how he was projected to instead of contracting the most mysterious case of the yips ever, I don't really think anybody would be doubting 'the process' right now, but instead lauding how Philly's future looked bright, and they have options on whether to let Butler / Harris go to free up a slot, or retain both, flexibility, etc.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,087

Post#25 » by jbk1234 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:54 pm

The Harris trade looks like a mistake.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
ZemGOAT
Veteran
And1: 5,729

Post#26 » by ZemGOAT » Wed May 15, 2019 10:55 pm

Hinkie was fired way too early.
The Process as far as tanking was done because the centerpiece stars and the assets were there. It was about how they manage them and use them correctly. Brand seems to be good so far but BC really made a negative but fixable impact.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#27 » by Black Mage » Wed May 15, 2019 11:30 pm

freethedevil wrote:If philly don't win a championship with embid and simmons, surely the blame falls upon the decisions of the last 2 gms trying to rush philly into "win now"?

While I will agree Colangelo really mucked up what could have been a much easier path. At the very least he should have been able to fill out a bench with all those picks.

However, I don't think it is a failure as Sixers should have many years of title contention in them and that's worth a lot more to fans than being a lousy and boring 8th seed which is what they were.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,833

Post#28 » by JShuttlesworth » Wed May 15, 2019 11:57 pm

I don’t necessarily the face up the process too early, but maybe they made some mistakes along the way. Generally speaking, I liked the Tobias and Butler additions, they just ran into Kawhi.

Embiid is a beast but like others have said, he’s going to struggle to stay healthy. He’s a big boy and it’s a lot of weight to lug around. Simmons isn’t really a big threat because despite being athletic and a gifted passer, he is afraid to shoot the basketball.

They can still have success if they surround Embiid and Ben with the right players. The clock is ticking though, I’m not sure either of their games will age well.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,587

Post#29 » by Capn'O » Thu May 16, 2019 12:09 am

MikeM wrote:The Harris trade was a complete disaster. And I consider that the moment they abandoned the Process. So yes.

Yeah, West fleeced them. Colangelo's asset management left a lot to be desired as well.

It would have been interesting to see what Hinkie would have done. I'm not convinced he was a great team builder but we may just never know.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#30 » by TheNewEra » Thu May 16, 2019 12:10 am

Fultz not being anything for them was a massive hit. At worse he was suppose to give them depth and scoring at the guard spot. Forget Tatum you draft any other player at 3 and they at least give you something by this point. Even the pieces he got traded for didn’t play in the series
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#31 » by LakerLegend » Thu May 16, 2019 12:10 am

Can we stop giving mindless tanking credit by calling it "The Process".

A chimp with a typewriter could do what Hinkie did.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#32 » by CoreyGallagher » Thu May 16, 2019 12:12 am

LakerLegend wrote:Can we stop giving mindless tanking credit by calling it "The Process".

A chimp with a typewriter could do what Hinkie did.

He made the most trades during the time of his tenure here and he won just about every one that he made, especially in vacuums, but even with a broader perspective. Chimp doesn't do that.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Spicy P
RealGM
And1: 5,859

Post#33 » by Spicy P » Thu May 16, 2019 12:17 am

They wasted so many seasons to end up with guys like Carter-Williams, Noel, Okafor, Fultz. They’ve been lucky with Embiid so far, but you can’t just keep losing until you find the players you want.
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,124

Post#34 » by Plutonashfan » Thu May 16, 2019 12:18 am

It pisses me off Hinkie wasn't allowed to execute his vision. I'm even more pissed the Knicks, Suns, and my Cavs all were punished because of the "process". Adam Silver should be ashamed.
The Champ is HERE!!!
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,054

Post#35 » by Crives » Thu May 16, 2019 12:19 am

Yes
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,569

Post#36 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 16, 2019 12:20 am

dc wrote:Giving up that pick to move up for Fultz is going to hurt.

If i'm not mistaken the pick they gave up was the Sac Pick? Currently #14 in whats considered a pretty weak draft.

Whats hurting them is missing on the #1 overall with so much talent in a draft. Lauri, Tatum, Fox, Mitchell.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,954

Post#37 » by Optms » Thu May 16, 2019 12:26 am

I actually LOVE what Philly has done from a managing perspective. On the other hand, you have the Boston Celtics who have stockpiled talent and now that team is in shambles. Missed opportunities to turn some of those assets into a superstar.

Now they have good pieces that are disgruntled and are looking to bolt that situation this summer and all they'll be left with is a mediocre team and Gordon Hayward's trash contract.

You've done well, Philly. Kudos.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#38 » by 76ciology » Thu May 16, 2019 2:17 am

B-Ball Freak wrote:
dc wrote:Giving up that pick to move up for Fultz is going to hurt.

Hindsight is 20/20 but they could have had drafted Tatum and in turn keep their picks and Shamet which they gave up for Tobias Harris.

Simmons/McConnell/Zhaire Smith
Redick/Shamet
Butler/Chandler/Ennis
Tatum/Muscala/Bolden
Embiid/Johnson

Plus their future picks they traded to the Clippers

Perennial Eastern Conference Finals contender right there.

I prefer Tobias Harris over Rudy Gay 2.0
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#39 » by 76ciology » Thu May 16, 2019 2:32 am

Regarding OP.

No, because the value of assets' we're banking to get us our third star depreciates as it's near maturity.
The 2017's 3rd pick, 2018 Lakers pick and the 2019 Kings pick are most likely to turn into role players to borderline stars at best. Fultz or Tatum, zhaire or Mikal Bridges, Nassir Little wouldn't move the needle.

Guys like Roco and Dario Saric's value will never be higher than the time we traded them.

The Butler and Tobias trade didn't just save us from near catastrophe. But also capitalized our opportunity to be the most or second most talented first 5 by this season or in the future.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#40 » by LakersSoul » Thu May 16, 2019 3:26 am

freethedevil wrote:If philly don't win a championship with embid and simmons, surely the blame falls upon the decisions of the last 2 gms trying to rush philly into "win now"?

YES!!

Dumb to trade for Fultz.
Dumb to trade for Harris.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."

Return to The General Board