If you're the Pelicans, who can offer better package for AD?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

What package does NO take over the others?

Knicks
28%
Lakers
31%
Celtics
42%

Total votes: 307

LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Re: If you're the Pelicans, who can offer better package for AD? 

Post#181 » by LKN » Wed May 15, 2019 9:13 pm

I do think that the Lakers are a bit of a disadvantage in that they are the least desired trading partner for the Pelicans - particularly compared to Eastern Conference teams. If offers are roughly equal they will likely lose out
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#182 » by hookshot199 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:36 pm

drekwins wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
robbie84 wrote:Pels have landed #1. Congratulations to the NO fans!
So, this post is going to assume they are trading Davis for one of these packages...if you can think of a better package from another team, please add below in the replies.

Knicks can offer:
#3 pick
Dennis Smith
Kevin Knox
Mudiay
Henry Ellenson
Robinson
Mavs 2021 pick

Lakers can offer:
#4 pick
Brandon Ingram
Josh Hart
Kuzma
Lonzo

Celtics can offer:
#14 pick
#20 pick
#22 pick
2020 Memphis pick
Tatum
Brown
Smart
Semi Ojeleye

A package of something from those assets is what it will likely take. So what package does NO take and why?
Keep in mind they are probably building around these assets and Zion who plays PF/SF or a combo forward type i guess.

Hard to turn down the Knicks offer of Smith, Knox and the #3 pick to go with Zion simply because you can gamble on Knox and Smith and you also have the #3 pick to get Ja Morant or whoever is left to pick from.

That being said, the Lakers have Ingram and the #4 pick. Cetlics have Tatum, Brown and some first rounders.

I can't see a clear winner? This is going to be exciting, and I'd say NO is going to land a motherload of a package for AD lol.

None of these deals is enough. And the picks, the Celtics' in particular, have almost no value. The problem is that only one draft pick, Zion Williamson, gets you close to putting together a package. And New Orleans owns that pick.

So, if I were to choose among your options:

Celtics: Tatum, Jaylen Brown, 2020 Memphis (though it may have little value) and 2019 #14 and 2019 #20 picks.
Though I love Smart, I probably wouldn't take him. But he's signed to a good contract, so consider it.

Lakers: Hart, Kuzma, Lonzo, Ingram (only if you want to pay him; he's due to be upped), and the 2019 #4 pick.
Plus Wagner.

Knicks: 2019 #3, Robinson, Knox and Smith; maybe Luke Kornet. Not Mudiay

Take on no bad contracts like Hayward or Lance Thomas.

Your guestimate and analysis of a Knicks offer is way off. Lance Thomas is not guaranteed. His contract is great. I'm sure that NO would also want Trier and/or Ntilikina just for the hell of it. The Knicks also have 5 first round picks between 2021-2023.

My mistake on Lance Thomas. I got him mixed up with Tim Hardaway Jr., who you traded to Dallas
and whose contract, in fairness, isn't in the same league as Hayward's.

As for the five first-round picks, I assume you're counting all three of the Knicks picks? Basically, I
don't think that trading for 10-20 or even 10-25 picks, which is where I suspect most people would
expect Dallas and/or the Knicks to finish two to four years from now is compensation at all. Quantity
doesn't equal quality. And if both teams make the playoffs in 2020-2021, 2021-2022 and 2022-2023,
then it's no compensation, frankly.

You'd be taking 15 and above for all of those picks.

It's possible the Knicks will screw it up again (and BTW I've always liked the Knicks), so I'd probably
take a flier on the Knicks 2021 and 2023 picks since you can't have three consecutive years.

Trier, if they want him, sure. Ditto for Ntilikina. In the case of Ntilikina, howver, he's done nothing.
And he's getting close to when management(next June, I believe) has to decide whether to take the
option on his contract.
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#183 » by hookshot199 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:51 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:This will be an interesting off-season.

If price for AD becomes too high and I personally think Smart/Brown/Tatum/Memphis pick is already too high, Boston arguably best off by letting Kyrie and Morris both walk or doing some sign and trades for them to get future picks while picking up bad short term contracts. And then trading Hayward and Horford at the deadline to highest bidders for bad contracts. And with playing time/shot attempts, I'd place 85% odds on hayward having some nice value by next years deadline. He was one of the few Celtics trying to play the right way vs the Bucks. Put Hayward on Warriors in place of KD, all of a sudden no one would think he is anything less than a top 50 player right now. But Celtics outside of a few players like Horford and Hayward have a somewhat selfish team right now.

If I am Ainge, I'd feel much better trading for AD if Laker and Knicks use up their cap space this summer so this is kind of a game of chicken.

Lakers probably "win it" if they are willing to trade Lebron to highest bidder that has cap room and his able to accept his contract but are they willing to do that? Trade Lebron to highest bidder and then all of a sudden they can afford to truly overpay if need be for AD. This assumes Leonard is willing to take Lebron's place.

I actually think Leonard would be willing to do this but only if it didn't appear as though he was scheming to screw over Lebron so that he could play with AD in LA. But given how Lebron wouldn't hesitate to probably **** other players for his own interests, turn about may be fair play.

I don't think AD gives a damn about playing with Lebron but I do think he would prefer playing with Lakers or perhaps Knicks. I just see the guy wanting best team possible in major market -- ideally LA or NY.

Right now, my money would probably be on the Knicks if KD wants to go there. If not, Celtics probably pay a price that may be too high and get him.

The ironic thing is...Boston if they trade for AD without a long term commitment is probably best off with Kyrie going to Knicks or Lakers in long term deal. Kyrie signing with lakers takes them out of 2020 AD sweepstakes since they won't have cap room unless I guess they are prepared to dump Lebron then. Kyrie going to Knicks probably won't win enough for AD to want to go to NY after next season.

Add all of this up, it really is interesting since all 3 teams(NY, Boston, LA) are fully capable of paying more than AD is actually worth and their are other teams that could get involved. The question for all 3 of the major players is if they can seriously contend after doing so. And even if they can, would they be better off with a different approach that shows more patience.

Why would you think that anyone would take Hayward's contract? Next to John Wall's
contract, it is probably the worst in the league. You'll have to give away assets to get
someone to take his contract off your hands. And by the trade deadline, you're going
to have a bunch
of roll player prospects (14, 20 and 22), Kelly Olynyk and Scary Terry types. And there
is no guarantee that the Memphis pick will even be top 10. And that would be the very
least you'd have to include IMO to take on - roughly $45 million (1 1/2 years of salary).

Hayward's contract takes up more than 25% of your cap space. I applaud Brad Stevens
for trying to salvage his career, but he's not a $30 million player anymore. Not even close.
If you were paying him $10-$12 million, that would be a different matter.

BTW: Hayward tried in the Bucks series, but he can be shut down easily if somebody puts
a good defender on him. It was painful to watch him, having watched him before. He's
just too slow although he can still make a 3 if left open.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,366

Post#184 » by robbie84 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:05 pm

Rafael122 wrote:If Ingram's medicals check out then the Lakers have the best offer.

After last night, that Memphis pick doesn't guarantee you anything. For one, it's top 6 protected. They will more than likely trade Conley and just let the bottom fall out and be bad enough that a top 6 is all but locked up. If the pick is unprotected in 2021, based off last night, the Hawks had the 5th best odds and dropped 3 spots.

The Lakers offer has the best combo of players and guaranteed picks.

Look at this from a critical viewpoint..(as GMs do with all potential trades/acquisitions)

-So Brandon Ingram, who is due for a new contract, coming off a condition that ended Chris Bosh's career.

-Lonzo 'the glass bust' Ball and his father/ family drama.

-Kyle 'dont want no small market' Kuzma
And
Josh Hart
The #4 pick

Are
'the best combo of players and picks'.

This suggests you're a Lakers fan.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#185 » by hookshot199 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:39 pm

robbie84 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:If Ingram's medicals check out then the Lakers have the best offer.

After last night, that Memphis pick doesn't guarantee you anything. For one, it's top 6 protected. They will more than likely trade Conley and just let the bottom fall out and be bad enough that a top 6 is all but locked up. If the pick is unprotected in 2021, based off last night, the Hawks had the 5th best odds and dropped 3 spots.

Look at this from a critical viewpoint..(as GMs do with all potential trades/acquisitions)

-So Brandon Ingram, who is due for a new contract, coming off a condition that ended Chris Bosh's career.

And
Josh Hart
The #4 pick

Are

I'm not a Lakers fan or a Celtics fan. But the question is: Is Smart, Brown and Tatum the best offer out there?
You have no picks, with due respect. It's possible that the Memphis pick will convey in the top five in 2021, but
that playing the markets not making basketball decisions.

And if you get rid of Smart, Brown and Tatum, what do you have left?

As for Celtics picks, I think Ainge hit on Tatum and Smart, a 3 pick and a 6 pick. Jaylen Brown, another 3 pick who
I like, the jury is still out IMO. Is he Brad Stevens creation?

As for the value of picks over 10, the best picks you've made in the past 20 years were Avery Bradley, Tony Allen,
Rajon Rondo (by way of a trade) and Al Jefferson. Only Rondo became a star. It's fools gold if you're not offering
a top 5 pick (there are exceptions), and even then it depends on the draft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Celtics_draft_history
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,114

Post#186 » by Edrees » Wed May 15, 2019 10:42 pm

It's a close call between the Celtics and Lakers off. Celtics offer might be a little better because of the health issues of Ingram and ball. Knicks are not even close to either.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,074

Post#187 » by CIN-C-STAR » Wed May 15, 2019 10:45 pm

I think Ben Simmons is the best offer.
Simmons-Zion will sell tickets better than the other offers, and that's important for a small market team.
No sure how the money works though...
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
GotDaSauce
RealGM
And1: 9,564

Post#188 » by GotDaSauce » Wed May 15, 2019 11:03 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:I think Ben Simmons is the best offer.
Simmons-Zion will sell tickets better than the other offers, and that's important for a small market team.

Two stars that cant shoot! Not sure thats the best direction for this team.
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,267

Post#189 » by mtron929 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:05 pm

I think Knicks might have the realistic best offer. In principle, the Celtics probably have the best offer from the three, but unlike the Lakers/Knicks, the Celtics would be much more reluctant to go all in. At least none of the Celtics fans want to offer Smart+Tatum+Brown+picks without full endorsement from AD so this hypothetical offer is not popular with the Celtics base either. And given that it is difficult to match salary with Tatum+Brown+picks, it would be more like Smart+Tatum+picks. And this "practical" offer, imo, is less than what the Knicks will be willing to offer.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,366

Post#190 » by robbie84 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:17 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
robbie84 wrote:

And
Josh Hart
The #4 pick

Are

I'm not a Lakers fan or a Celtics fan. But the question is: Is Smart, Brown and Tatum the best offer out there?
You have no picks, with due respect. It's possible that the Memphis pick will convey in the top five in 2021, but
that playing the markets not making basketball decisions.

And if you get rid of Smart, Brown and Tatum, what do you have left?

As for Celtics picks, I think Ainge hit on Tatum and Smart, a 3 pick and a 6 pick. Jaylen Brown, another 3 pick who
I like, the jury is still out IMO. Is he Brad Stevens creation?

As for the value of picks over 10, the best picks you've made in the past 20 years were Avery Bradley, Tony Allen,
Rajon Rondo (by way of a trade) and Al Jefferson. Only Rondo became a star. It's fools gold if you're not offering
a top 5 pick (there are exceptions), and even then it depends on the draft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Celtics_draft_history

I agree, that is the question.
The next question is, does the #3 pick from NY or the #4 pick from the Lakers+ their players have the potential to be better than Tatum, Brown and Smart +Celtics picks combined? Or even Tatum? Where would a college freshman Tatum go in this draft?
I think (trying to put my Celtics bias aside), that the Knicks and Celtics have the best offers. Jason Tatum just turned 21 and has 'proven' himself to an extent.
My thoughts are that although he underachieved to an extent this season, an NBA GM will see him as a just as good, if not better prospect than anyone available from #4 (maybe #3 too) onwards in this draft given his play in his rookie season when there weren't so many other players needing the ball and taking away usage % from him.

Also, those C's picks you mentioned were all mid/late first round picks (Perkins, Posey, Rondo, Jefferson).
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,074

Post#191 » by CIN-C-STAR » Thu May 16, 2019 12:07 am

GotDaSauce wrote:

As opposed to one star that can't shoot?

I mean, if they can get Steph for AD by all means they should do so.
Everyone wants stars that can bomb from 3, which is why they are pretty much unattainable.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,761

Post#192 » by Rafael122 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:08 am

robbie84 wrote:

And
Josh Hart
The #4 pick

Are

Not a Lakers fan, I'm a Wizards fan. Literally the only advantage Tatum has over Ingram is the fact that he has an extra year on his rookie contract. You can say the same thing about Brown, who also has 1 year left on his deal. What is he? Is he a 20 point per game scorer on a bad team? A 6th man? What?

Marcus Smart...sure...what else you got? Hypothetical picks. I'm trading a top 5 player for a pick that may or may not turn out the way I want to in TWO YEARS. Try selling that to management "hey Gayle, yeah we're trading our meal ticket for the hope that Jalen Johnson, who hasn't decided on a school by the way, lives up to the hype and becomes the top pick in the 2021 draft AND hope that the new lottery rules don't screw us over and we end up with the top pick instead of 5th."

It's unbelievable that somehow Boston still surfaces as a possible trade destination when they're unwilling to trade Tatum, their war chest of picks are now actual players which loses their value and they may be facing their own rebooting situation if Irving bolts.

I added the caveat of Ingram's health, IF it checks out and he's fine, I'd probably take him over Tatum. The Lakers DEFF tanked once Ball went down. Say what you want about his dad, but the kid can play defense.

We'll agree to disagree. I think Tatum was underrated until he became overrated. He's not an alpha, his ceiling is probably a #2, but he's more than likely a #3 on a really good team. I just like Ingram's upside more, assuming his health checks out.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#193 » by Darth Celtic » Thu May 16, 2019 12:16 am

Rafael122 wrote:
robbie84 wrote:

And
Josh Hart
The #4 pick

Are

Not a Lakers fan, I'm a Wizards fan. Literally the only advantage Tatum has over Ingram is the fact that he has an extra year on his rookie contract. You can say the same thing about Brown, who also has 1 year left on his deal. What is he? Is he a 20 point per game scorer on a bad team? A 6th man? What?

Marcus Smart...sure...what else you got? Hypothetical picks. I'm trading a top 5 player for a pick that may or may not turn out the way I want to in TWO YEARS. Try selling that to management "hey Gayle, yeah we're trading our meal ticket for the hope that Jalen Johnson, who hasn't decided on a school by the way, lives up to the hype and becomes the top pick in the 2021 draft AND hope that the new lottery rules don't screw us over and we end up with the top pick instead of 5th."

It's unbelievable that somehow Boston still surfaces as a possible trade destination when they're unwilling to trade Tatum, their war chest of picks are now actual players which loses their value and they may be facing their own rebooting situation if Irving bolts.

I added the caveat of Ingram's health, IF it checks out and he's fine, I'd probably take him over Tatum. The Lakers DEFF tanked once Ball went down. Say what you want about his dad, but the kid can play defense.

We'll agree to disagree. I think Tatum was underrated until he became overrated. He's not an alpha, his ceiling is probably a #2, but he's more than likely a #3 on a really good team. I just like Ingram's upside more, assuming his health checks out.

That's the point. ingram's health can't check out. A doctor could clear him, he could play for 3 years, and then have it come back and he's career ending. Do you trade AD for a package built around a guy who could be really good, could be average, and might just not ever play again? Nah. Everyone is saying he has no trade value atm.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#194 » by Kefa461 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:19 am

will the pels even trade ad to the west.....
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#195 » by Crives » Thu May 16, 2019 12:20 am

A Robinson/Zion front court feels like a fun block party
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,761

Post#196 » by Rafael122 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:22 am

Darth Celtic wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:
robbie84 wrote:

And
Josh Hart
The #4 pick

Are

That's the point. ingram's health can't check out. A doctor could clear him, he could play for 3 years, and then have it come back and he's career ending. Do you trade AD for a package built around a guy who could be really good, could be average, and might just not ever play again? Nah. Everyone is saying he has no trade value atm.

The last thing I saw about Ingram was that he is expecting to make a full recovery, but honestly, no one knows. Its premature for me to say he's coming back and its premature to say he's never playing again.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#197 » by Crives » Thu May 16, 2019 12:23 am

Kefa461 wrote:will the pels even trade ad to the west.....

Good point, with Zion they are competing for playoffs immediately with the assets they should receive from AD. Definitely don’t want to see AD in playoffs for the next 10 years..
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#198 » by Darth Celtic » Thu May 16, 2019 12:26 am

Rafael122 wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:

The last thing I saw about Ingram was that he is expecting to make a full recovery, but honestly, no one knows. Its premature for me to say he's coming back and its premature to say he's never playing again.

Same thing Bosh has. Could be it never comes up again and he plays forever. I'm sure the Heat thought that the first time, but as soon as it happened, Bosh couldn't be traded basically. Same thing. He won't pass a physical even if it's healed.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
LAL
Sixth Man
And1: 2,860

Post#199 » by LAL » Thu May 16, 2019 12:37 am

Darth Celtic wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:That's the point. ingram's health can't check out. A doctor could clear him, he could play for 3 years, and then have it come back and he's career ending. Do you trade AD for a package built around a guy who could be really good, could be average, and might just not ever play again? Nah. Everyone is saying he has no trade value atm.

Same thing Bosh has. Could be it never comes up again and he plays forever. I'm sure the Heat thought that the first time, but as soon as it happened, Bosh couldn't be traded basically. Same thing. He won't pass a physical even if it's healed.

Same thing as Bosh, but a different cause. Ingram had a blood clot caused structural issues. Bosh has a random blood clot that is unexplained. Ingram is expected to be fine now that the structural issue causing the clot has been corrected through surgery. Bosh can’t correct the issue because they don’t even know what it is. The situations are quite different.
GotDaSauce
RealGM
And1: 9,564

Post#200 » by GotDaSauce » Thu May 16, 2019 12:38 am

CIN-C-STAR wrote:
GotDaSauce wrote:

As opposed to one star that can't shoot?

I mean, if they can get Steph for AD by all means they should do so.
Everyone wants stars that can bomb from 3, which is why they are pretty much unattainable.

Get a star that can bomb past 3 feet!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm not asking for Ray Allen but you clearly could see how not being able to shoot affected him and the team all season and playoffs!
Just think Zion needs a different running mate if he is going to succeed in NO.

Return to The General Board