I'm taking a break from following the NBA. Here's why.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Cavaliers2
Sixth Man
And1: 1,958

Re: I'm taking a break from following the NBA. Here's why. 

Post#21 » by Cavaliers2 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:51 am

Would you like to know all the sports I follow and don't follow?
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#22 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu May 16, 2019 2:53 am

Nostalgia isn't everything. The game is still great. Your choice, though.
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,330

Post#23 » by Forbes » Thu May 16, 2019 2:53 am

I came in here to see why and saw a Novel.

See you next season bro!
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#24 » by jlokine » Thu May 16, 2019 2:53 am

Vladimir777 wrote:I think there was some good points in the OP. No need for you guys to mock someone for being honest.

Reading about all the off-the-court stuff, especially with how much people talk about it on here, is definitely stressful. I just don’t get into the whole financial side, the trading, etc., and with this whole free agency era, it does seem like it’s here to stay.

I love LeBron and want the best for him, but he really did help create this whole super team era.

And Kevin Durant definitely ruined the enjoyability of the league for me. I don’t blame him. He did what was best for him. But ****, we all knew who was going to win the last three seasons in a row. How lame is that? Why even play the games?

i think danny ainge inspired it when he made the moves for ray allen and KG.

lebron, wade and bosh reacted to that.. before boston big 3, it was kobe's dynamic duo with pau, it was tim duncan and tony parker (w/ manu off the bench), it was nash and stat, it was pippen and jordan, stockton and malone..
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,124

Post#25 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Thu May 16, 2019 2:56 am

i thought this was a vox.com article for a sec
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,337

Post#26 » by 76ciology » Thu May 16, 2019 2:58 am

Regarding competition:
GSW will force teams to adapt or die. Look at the Sixers and how they're forced to build a top heavy team. Look at how many teams are tanking and not wanting to be on the treadmill. The LeBron teams were supposed to be unfair back then. The big 3 of the heat and the big 3 of the Cavs. Then the Warriors team was built. It's the same cycle dating back from a single superstar in Jordan to duos like Shaq and Kobe.

Regarding players' actions:
Social media, the style of sports media and players getting ridiculously overpaid. You can't blame the players giving those kind of statements when Media keep fishing for hot takes. If they don't answer it, then it could also be open to a lot of speculation. Kind of how FBI interrogates suspects.

I've said it before, as you increase the salary the value of a championship decreases. These days players value money and where they want to spend that money over winning championships.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Vladimir777
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,121

Post#27 » by Vladimir777 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:59 am

jlokine wrote:
Vladimir777 wrote:I think there was some good points in the OP. No need for you guys to mock someone for being honest.

Reading about all the off-the-court stuff, especially with how much people talk about it on here, is definitely stressful. I just don’t get into the whole financial side, the trading, etc., and with this whole free agency era, it does seem like it’s here to stay.

I love LeBron and want the best for him, but he really did help create this whole super team era.

And Kevin Durant definitely ruined the enjoyability of the league for me. I don’t blame him. He did what was best for him. But ****, we all knew who was going to win the last three seasons in a row. How lame is that? Why even play the games?

lebron, wade and bosh reacted to that.. before boston big 3, it was kobe's dynamic duo with pau, it was tim duncan and tony parker (w/ manu off the bench), it was nash and stat, it was pippen and jordan, stockton and malone..

Perhaps you’re right. It certainly seems like the Boston Big Three was a big step towards the super team era.
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,893

Post#28 » by Joshyjess » Thu May 16, 2019 2:59 am

LordCovington33 wrote:I have bought four jerseys over the last three years. Covington, Simmons, Fultz and Butler. Only two now play for my team. But you cannot expect loyalty from players when you got GMs like Danny Ainge trading you in a heartbeat and their fans only caring if they won the trade.

Hmm, all I see in this post is "......Fultz......GMs like Danny Ainge...." I think somebody is still just a wee bit bitter. :lol:

As to the original post, I just figure all sports go through changes in time. There are times I love watching pro sports, and there are times I can't stand it. The game is constantly changing (look at how the NFL is quickly becoming a glorified game of two-hand touch). You do what you think is best for you. If you don't get enjoyment from the NBA right now - take a break from it. Maybe in a few years it will change into something that you will like. BTW, I started watching the NBA in the late 70's / early 80's, so I can attest to quite a few changes throughout the years. Not all are good, not all are bad.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,265

Post#29 » by Black Jack » Thu May 16, 2019 3:02 am

Suns fans have no basis to complain, you had great teams for years. Back when the Warriors were fielding such monsters as Todd Fuller and Les Jepsen.

You had superstars like Barkley and Nash land in your lap :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,897

Post#30 » by thebigbird » Thu May 16, 2019 3:19 am

Vladimir777 wrote:
jlokine wrote:

Perhaps you’re right. It certainly seems like the Boston Big Three was a big step towards the super team era.

Super teams have existed for decades. Anyone who says otherwise has a narrative to push. Just look at the 80s. The Lakers had Magic, Kareem, and James Worthy. Great role players in Byron Scott, Michael Cooper, AC Green, and Mychal Thompson. The Celtics had Bird, McHale, Parish and Dennis Johnson. Super teams are not new. Not at all.
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,261

Post#31 » by picc » Thu May 16, 2019 3:23 am

How about instead of announcing you're going to leave in a hyper narcissistic and desperate cry for attention, you just leave?

See you soon, probably days from now after you can't help yourself from watching a game and start posting again as if nothing ever happened. Also known as the George Costanza special.

Bye.
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#32 » by woosah » Thu May 16, 2019 3:31 am

Vladimir777 wrote:
jlokine wrote:

Bron got the idea from Team USA
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#33 » by NBAFan93 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:39 am

This season I enjoyed the regular season a lot more than the playoffs. Playoffs just feel like a death march to the inevitable where one by one every team gets knocked off execution style cause they don’t have enough talent to beat the Warriors. Teams celebrate first and second round victories like its their championship cause they know what’s ultimately going to happen. Things didn’t feel like that 3 seasons ago.

I also hate all this “well that player is gone” when a team loses in the playoffs. What kind of loser traitor crap is that? Guys team loses a big game and instead of being upset and wanting to do better next season all the fans and media speculate that his first thought is “I should leave this team and go to a better one”...or actually in most of these cases a much WORSE one where they can sell more shoes and team up w/ another traitor who also quit on his last team. Smh.

The number of like-able loyal/stand up guys left in this league dwindles year by year and media just fuels this disloyalty and selfishness. I do like the regular season though cause at least people are locked in for a set amount of time and the speculation of superstars leaving is lower. You also get to discuss things like MVP, All NBA, ROTY, etc. cause at least those are legitimately up for grabs by anyone.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#34 » by trwi7 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:43 am

"Because I'm a Suns fan."

There, saved everyone a ton of reading.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Sulico
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,295

Post#35 » by Sulico » Thu May 16, 2019 3:48 am

To be honest if I were locked to 5 more years of rooting for Devin Booker's led team, I would quit too.
Vladimir777
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,121

Post#36 » by Vladimir777 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:52 am

NBAFan93 wrote:This season I enjoyed the regular season a lot more than the playoffs. Playoffs just feel like a death march to the inevitable where one by one every team gets knocked off execution style cause they don’t have enough talent to beat the Warriors. Teams celebrate first and second round victories like its their championship cause they know what’s ultimately going to happen. Things didn’t feel like that 3 seasons ago.

I also hate all this “well that player is gone” when a team loses in the playoffs. What kind of loser traitor crap is that? Guys team loses a big game and instead of being upset and wanting to do better next season all the fans and media speculate that his first thought is “I should leave this team and go to a better one”...or actually in most of these cases a much WORSE one where they can sell more shoes and team up w/ another traitor who quit on his last team. Smh.

The number of like-able loyal/stand up guys left in this league dwindles year by year and media just fuels this disloyalty and selfishness. I do like the regular season though cause at least people are locked in for a set amount of time and the speculation of superstars leaving is lower. You also get to discuss things like MVP, All NBA, ROTY, etc. cause at least are legitimately up for grabs by anyone.

I hate players constantly wanting to leave and team up, too, but it’s literally IMPOSSIBLE to beat the KD Warriors otherwise.

I really, truly hate Kevin’s decision. I respect him so much as a basketball player, but hate the move so much. So much cognitive dissonance.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,360

Post#37 » by Dominator83 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:55 am

I've lost a lot of interest too.... Because my team sucks! We keep getting screwed in the lottery, have never gotten a legit star in free agency, and haven't gotten one in trade since Rodman in 1995. We are THE definition of NBA hell.

The only flipside to that is, tickets are much cheaper and easier to score! So that part I enjoy.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
SamSepiol
Rookie
And1: 3,614

Post#38 » by SamSepiol » Thu May 16, 2019 4:16 am

Here’s why
“With the 6th pick in the NBA draft:
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,514

Post#39 » by nomansland » Thu May 16, 2019 4:19 am

The game evolves, for better or worse. I actually enjoyed the physical, defense-oriented era of the 90's. It was like hockey on a hard court and was still tense and fun to watch.

These days you have the Harden style of play, which I don't like much because of all of the free throws, but you also have teams that move the ball extremely well and that style of play is a lot of fun to watch. And the skill level and talent of the players is ever-increasing, especially with the influx of international talent.

As an old man, the disappointing part is the businesslike way in which teams and players treat each other. I get it, this is an entertainment business and people gotta do what they gotta do. And the Sonics fiasco made me extremely jaded about pro sports. It's a mercenary pursuit. But it still sort of sucks knowing that situations like Dirk in Dallas, Duncan in San Antonio, and Kobe in LA are by far more the exception than the rule these days.

If the NBA no longer appeals to you as an entertainment product, just find other **** to do. Life's short.
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#40 » by everdiso » Thu May 16, 2019 4:24 am

8on wrote:I've been a fan of the league since Jordan's second three-peat.

I had a kid's size Grant Hill Pistons jersey in 1997 or so. I played the original NBA Jam with my brother on Super Nintendo. I fell in love with Steve Nash and SSOL. I've been following the league for nearly my entire life.

I'm at the point where the game doesn't resonate with me anymore.

First of all, I miss the old style. I don't care that it was worse analytically. I miss the moves of Kobe Bryant, the suspense that came with watching him do all that work, take an impossible shot, and have no idea whether the ball was going in or not. I miss watching Derrick Rose finish with authority. I miss Michael Jordan's hunger and drive. I miss the urgency of seeing who would take the throne after Jordan retired twice, or if he would ever come back. I miss Allen Iverson's passion, Sheed's personality, Reggie's trash talk, KG's intensity, Shaq's brutality, the connection with hip-hop, the underdog dynasty of the Spurs, the consistency and beauty of John Stockton and Steve Nash, and more.

It was beautiful to watch Ray, Paul and KG get together. Neither of them had ever been on a true contender. They joined to play a beautiful brand of basketball, and they finally won. I felt the suspense. I felt the passion. There were younger guys like LeBron and Dwight, but the old guys came through. That's the kind of story I love.

I feel like I'm just expected to be happy for players when they get their money, no matter whether they stay on my team or not. I guess I'm supposed to be happy for AD? LeBron and Rich Paul blitzed the Pelicans and almost got away with it. I'm not happy for them. As a fan of a small market team, I don't empathize with the invaders, or the young players who skip town without the slightest bit of remorse. Every team has the right to field a competitive team with a superstar without ESPN speculating whether stars could do better. It's like being with a really attractive woman, someone who's out of your league, and then turning on the television to watch Rachel Nichols speculate as to whether your girlfriend is going to end up with your best friend, or a total stranger. There's zero chance she could re-sign with me, right? That's "not going to happen." It's offensive to small market fans, i.e. most fans.

I do feel like the league office is trying to prop up the Knicks and Lakers, but they can't seem to get out of their own way. If they were better organizations, perhaps free agents would have gone there in the last six years.

My fondest memory as a fan was Christmas Day 2008. I was fortunate to be able to go to the game at US Airways Arena with my family. This was the Steve Nash/Jason Richardson/Amar'e Stoudemire/Shaq team. I knew we weren't better than the Spurs, but we still had some crazy offensive talent. STAT was still STAT back then. Shaq was huge, and one of my favorite players and personalities. My favorite player of all time was and is Steve Nash. He was just as graceful as advertised. Roger Mason Jr. buried us at the buzzer, and it was a push and pull the entire way. We almost had it, and then we didn't. Still, it was a great game.

For the last couple of years, everyone would tell me that the champion would either be the Warriors, or whichever team had LeBron James. It was annoying to watch the Cavs and Warriors for four straight years, although the 2016 Finals was actually quite suspenseful. There were twists and turns. My heart was on edge. I needed to see the outcome. I needed to know if the 73 win team could knock out LeBron, or if the Cavs could pull it out for the city of Cleveland. I was pulling for the underdog, as I normally do, and they won, and that was great. Since Kevin Durant joined the Warriors, there has been very little suspense. I don't think there has ever been a single team with that much firepower. The media talks about them like they're inevitable, and they have been. It's not that fun for the rest of us.

I've never understood players' thinking with regards to their own mobility between different teams. I understand you have the right to do it at least once. If you have a certain amount of talent, you'll have the right to choose your place of employment and where you situate. That's totally fine, but the sheer number of young players who have no loyalty to a team is mind boggling.

Few will buy your jersey, if they don't think you'll be wearing it for long. You won't have as many loyal fans, if you aren't loyal to a fan base. Jayson Tatum recently remarked that he wouldn't mind being traded to New Orleans. Really, Jayson? Did you have to respond that way? Did you have to fuel speculation? Couldn't you have just not answered that one, instead of making Celtics fans feel more insecure than they already are?

It's stuff like this that made me turn off the TV just now. I know I'm not in the majority, but I'm probably not alone in feeling this way, either. I just need a break. I want players to care about the game the way Michael Jordan does. I want it to feel like battle, not an AAU game. I don't want to see competitors show more love for each other than their own teammates. I want to see players finally get over the hump, instead of giving up when the going gets mildly inconvenient. I'm just done. I don't think the NBA is great right now.

I'm not asking you to agree or disagree. Feel free to react, but that's how I feel.

Aka

A) "My team sucks"
B) sports are way more fun when you're a kid
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."

Return to The General Board