Did Philly Abandon the Process too Early?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,229

Re: Did Philly Abandon the Process too Early? 

Post#41 » by freethedevil » Thu May 16, 2019 3:28 am

76ciology wrote:Regarding OP.

No, because the value of assets' we're banking to get us our third star depreciates as it's near maturity.
The 2017's 3rd pick, 2018 Lakers pick and the 2019 Kings pick are most likely to turn into role players to borderline stars at best. .

Which is more than enough when you have embid and simmons lol
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#42 » by Metallikid » Thu May 16, 2019 3:33 am

If they had chosen to forego actually trying to get to the Finals this year (by that I mean trading for Tobias Harris) I think they would have been better off, and I said as much when they made the trade.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,336

Post#43 » by 76ciology » Thu May 16, 2019 3:33 am

freethedevil wrote:

No, because the value of assets' we're banking to get us our third star depreciates as it's near maturity.
The 2017's 3rd pick, 2018 Lakers pick and the 2019 Kings pick are most likely to turn into role players to borderline stars at best. .

Actually no.

Because Simmons doesn't play like an all-star during the play-offs. Embiid doesn't play like a generational talent that can carry a team single handedly like Michael Jordan or LeBron James during the play-offs.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,034

Post#44 » by JazzUte88 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:35 am

The Jimmy trade was great.

Trading up for Fultz sucked, but the results were there in 2017 Summer League.

Trading for Harris was overrated move
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,197

Post#45 » by deneem4 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:36 am

76ciology wrote:
freethedevil wrote:

Actually no.

Because Simmons doesn't play like an all-star during the play-offs. Embiid doesn't play like a generational talent that can carry a team single handedly like Michael Jordan or LeBron James during the play-offs.

It’s their second playoffs...mj Didnt have better team success in his 2nd playoffs
Lebron was amazing but it was also his 5th year in the league
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
unclewai
Sophomore
And1: 353

Post#46 » by unclewai » Thu May 16, 2019 3:39 am

Philly didn't abandon the process. Fultz broke the process.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#47 » by freethedevil » Thu May 16, 2019 3:41 am

deneem4 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
freethedevil wrote:Which is more than enough when you have embid and simmons lol

Actually no.

It’s their second playoffs...mj Didnt have better team success in his 2nd playoffs

yeah seriously, simmons has the potential to be a great playmaker and oneof the best defenders in the league. Embid's already one of the best scorers and defenders in the league. If you need more star power then that, then you're not developing talent properly.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#48 » by freethedevil » Thu May 16, 2019 3:43 am

Metallikid wrote:If they had chosen to forego actually trying to get to the Finals this year (by that I mean trading for Tobias Harris) I think they would have been better off, and I said as much when they made the trade.

yeah, before the trade, i figured the bucks and raptors window of contention was much shorter than philly's. Tryna go win now with at least 2 title contenders out east at or near their peak seems shortsighted to me.
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,026

Post#49 » by heatwillbeback » Thu May 16, 2019 4:06 am

I dont think so. It was time to cash in assets and compete.

The mistake that was made was Fultz. They messed up so bad on that.
mike76
Junior
And1: 344

Post#50 » by mike76 » Thu May 16, 2019 4:10 am

freethedevil wrote:
Metallikid wrote:If they had chosen to forego actually trying to get to the Finals this year (by that I mean trading for Tobias Harris) I think they would have been better off, and I said as much when they made the trade.

yeah, before the trade, i figured the bucks and raptors window of contention was much shorter than philly's. Tryna go win now with at least 2 title contenders out east at or near their peak seems shortsighted to me.

I don't think the Tobi trade was about contending this year. It was about bird rights and being locked into a big 4 of Ben, JoJo, Butler, and Tobi. Furthermore, you sell him on the culture a la PG3 with OKC and make it easier to resign him.

Now whether you think Shamet and Miami pick unprotected and whatever additional first rounders we gave up were worth the bird rights of Tobi is another argument. But that's the argument that needs to be made when evaluating the trade.
KrAzY3
Starter
And1: 2,514

Post#51 » by KrAzY3 » Thu May 16, 2019 4:21 am

Yes...

They could have had Tatum, and so much more flexibility going forward. Now the debate centers around if they want to keep their coach and Harris. As soon as they got rid of Hinkie they started trying to figure out they could start selling off assets to go in win now mode. For what though? The only piece they picked up that really moves the needle would be Jimmy Butler and there's no guarantee he stays.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#52 » by Lalouie » Thu May 16, 2019 4:35 am

freethedevil wrote:If philly don't win a championship with embid and simmons, surely the blame falls upon the decisions of the last 2 gms trying to rush philly into "win now"?

When you're a cr@p team with cr@ppy players you can afford to tank endlessly because cr@ppy players don't care and don't know how to win anyway. Once you get good players like Simmons and Embiid you have a RESPONSIBILITY to play to win. Tanking is an affront to any good player. Tanking with good players is a good way to lose them when it's all said and done
76ciology
RealGM

Post#53 » by 76ciology » Thu May 16, 2019 4:49 am

freethedevil wrote:
deneem4 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Actually no.

yeah seriously, simmons has the potential to be a great playmaker and oneof the best defenders in the league. Embid's already one of the best scorers and defenders in the league. If you need more star power then that, then you're not developing talent properly.

But dont you want to vastly increase your margin of error by trading role players and projected non-lotto picks for a top 30 player and a borderline star player who’s just 26 years old?

The thing that separate the Sixers from most teams is Sixers has a high standard. Other teams would just call it done once they have Biid and Simmons. Sixers want more because they know how hard it is to win a championship
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#54 » by 76ciology » Thu May 16, 2019 4:52 am

KrAzY3 wrote:Yes...

They could have had Tatum, and so much more flexibility going forward. Now the debate centers around if they want to keep their coach and Harris. As soon as they got rid of Hinkie they started trying to figure out they could start selling off assets to go in win now mode. For what though? The only piece they picked up that really moves the needle would be Jimmy Butler and there's no guarantee he stays.

Tell me how Tatum is gonna help more than Tobias Harris.. based on his numbers, tobias is a better player. And if you tell me he’s got more upside, well Tobias is just 26 while Tatum’s development has not trended up.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#55 » by freethedevil » Thu May 16, 2019 4:56 am

76ciology wrote:
freethedevil wrote:
deneem4 wrote:

But dont you want to vastly increase your margin of error by trading role players and projected non-lotto picks for a top 30 player and a borderline star player who’s just 26 years old?

Shortening your window of contention, takung out your depth and capacity to sign complimetary pieces for a bargain(draft) and trading for stars whose primes aren't in sync with those of your foundation does not increase your margin for error. Rather, it reduces it greatly.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#56 » by 76ciology » Thu May 16, 2019 5:05 am

freethedevil wrote:
76ciology wrote:
freethedevil wrote:yeah seriously, simmons has the potential to be a great playmaker and oneof the best defenders in the league. Embid's already one of the best scorers and defenders in the league. If you need more star power then that, then you're not developing talent properly.

Shortening your window of contention, takung out your depth and capacity to sign complimetary pieces for a bargain(draft) and trading for stars whose primes aren't in sync with those of your foundation does not increase your margin for error. Rather, it reduces it greatly.

How will it shorten the window of contention? Will Embiid and Ben retire as soon as Butler hang his jersey?
Again, what sixers gave up are role players and future role players. So it’s not like Sixers gave up zion williamson and luka doncic for butler and tobias.

Sixers saw an opportunity to be the most talented team if KD walks out of GSW or be the second most talented team if KD stays. Sixers had the 3rd best netRtg among starting units all time. It’s a way better prospect than expecting Embiid and Ben simmons to be the next wilt and lebron.
KrAzY3
Starter
And1: 2,514

Post#57 » by KrAzY3 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:02 am

76ciology wrote:Tell me how Tatum is gonna help more than Tobias Harris.. based on his numbers, tobias is a better player. And if you tell me he’s got more upside, well Tobias is just 26 while Tatum’s development has not trended up.

Is this the logic that pervades the moves that Philadelphia has made?

Ok, let me see... they gave up Tatum and another pick to get Fultz. Right? Then they gave up more assets and more cap space to get Harris. Alright..

So Tatum+three first round picks+cap flexibility.

And the retort is how is Tatum gonna help more? How is more cap space and 3 more first round picks going to help? No clue, you got me.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#58 » by freethedevil » Thu May 16, 2019 6:10 am

KrAzY3 wrote:
76ciology wrote:Tell me how Tatum is gonna help more than Tobias Harris.. based on his numbers, tobias is a better player. And if you tell me he’s got more upside, well Tobias is just 26 while Tatum’s development has not trended up.

Is this the logic that pervades the moves that Philadelphia has made?

Ok, let me see... they gave up Tatum and another pick to get Fultz. Right? Then they gave up more assets and more cap space to get Harris. Alright..

So Tatum+three first round picks+cap flexibility.

And the retort is how is Tatum gonna help more? How is more cap space and 3 more first round picks going to help? No clue, you got me.

people think nba is 2k. Top heavy teams usually get **** by well rounded ones.
kan_t
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#59 » by kan_t » Thu May 16, 2019 6:20 am

They have no choice once MB has signed the contract and BS is up for the extension. The process works not only because you have picks, but also cap space flexibility.
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,141

Post#60 » by marcush » Thu May 16, 2019 8:47 am

Was last season really part of the ‘process’? If yes, then I can now understand when people say we tanked for 5 years.

Return to The General Board