Re: Windhorst/Stein Report Zion Williamson Could Theoretically Return To Duke

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Windhorst/Stein Report Zion Williamson Could Theoretically Return To Duke 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 pm

Both Brian Windhorst of ESPN and Marc Stein of the New York Times have reported that there have been conversations in NBA circles that Zion Williamson could theoretically return to Duke for his sophomore season now that the New Orleans Pelicans have won the 2019 draft lottery.

Williamson has yet to sign with an agent and he would have until 10 days before the draft to return to school.

Windhorst added that by all accounts Williamson doesn't seem like the type of player who would attempt to force his way to another team, but that it is something at least being speculated about within the NBA community.

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,538

Post#2 » by lonzo_pelota » Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 pm

this is the pelicans and nba's biggest nightmare, can you imagine if he did that, if im zion i dont wanna go there simply because they have my stunt double there already by the name of julius randle and he's trying to be a lead dog on that team, plus he's a lefty ball handling big that mirrors zions game ,except zion and go about 12inches higher on vertical, if i have confirmation he's opting out and not resigning then it might work, cant picture both of them playing together down in N.O. eating up each others touches and mins
zion's gonna need space and opportunity
damedash09
Analyst
And1: 1,447

Post#3 » by damedash09 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:16 pm

Would be a major black eye for the league
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#4 » by Metallikid » Wed May 15, 2019 11:31 pm

Wait, so the Knicks could potentially miss out on Zion, Morant, and Barrett?

That would be too good.
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#5 » by 23artest23 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:41 am

I can see why Zion wouldn't want to go to New Orleans but the risk in returning is too great to seriously consider doing so
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#6 » by BigTex » Thu May 16, 2019 3:53 am

23artest23 wrote:I can see why Zion wouldn't want to go to New Orleans but the risk in returning is too great to seriously consider doing so

Does he have to play, or can he just sit out a year? I dint know if he could play in Europe or not under the CBA. That would be a circus.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,197

Post#7 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu May 16, 2019 4:26 am

RealGM... Windhorse/Stein didn't "report" this. A report requires a gathering of facts which are then presented with specificity. These guys were just saying that it was theoretically possible. Stop regurgitating the theories of Windhorse like they are news! This will never happen!

Be better!
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#8 » by hyberx » Thu May 16, 2019 4:30 am

Yeah giving up many millions to return to Duke, so he can get a chance to blow out his knees and ankles without getting paid. If Zion is gonna get hurt on a pair of Just-Blew-It, might as well do it with a guarantee contract. :lol:
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,609

Post#9 » by Snakebites » Thu May 16, 2019 4:52 am

We have this pretend drama with top prospects practically every year.

He'll declare and sign with an agent soon enough.
mickie
Rookie
And1: 516

Post#10 » by mickie » Thu May 16, 2019 11:24 am

The stupidest thing Zion will do is to go back to Duke with no guaranteed money. Sign with an agent get drafted by NO and showcase your talent in the biggest stage then in a few years if you really want to go to NYC the sign as a free agent.

NY reporters are as delusional as the Kincks fanbase
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 3,959

Post#11 » by Besart19 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:27 pm

mickie wrote:The stupidest thing Zion will do is to go back to Duke with no guaranteed money. Sign with an agent get drafted by NO and showcase your talent in the biggest stage then in a few years if you really want to go to NYC the sign as a free agent.

NY reporters are as delusional as the Kincks fanbase

You cant sign him as FA cuz NOP will match any offer
Strength and Honour!
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#12 » by Slava » Thu May 16, 2019 12:32 pm

If the NCAA passes the proposal to let athletes benefit from their likenesses as being discussed right now, Zion could make a lot of money at Duke.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Caese
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#13 » by Caese » Thu May 16, 2019 1:00 pm

I understand Zion's disappointment, but New Orleans is a pretty decent landing spot considering the randomness of the draft lottery.

They have a new GM with a solid enough track record. They can run it back with AD and Jrue, or they can sell those players off and build solely around Zion. Also, Gentry is a coach with a lot of experience dealing with skilled big men. I think once he works out for them and gets to talk with them, he'll warm up to the idea of playing in the Big Easy.
GuideDog
Junior
And1: 138

Post#14 » by GuideDog » Thu May 16, 2019 1:04 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:RealGM... Windhorse/Stein didn't "report" this. A report requires a gathering of facts which are then presented with specificity. These guys were just saying that it was theoretically possible. Stop regurgitating the theories of Windhorse like they are news! This will never happen!

Be better!

Right! This is not reporting. It's speculating. And speculating done by a reporter is called fake news.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#15 » by Donnyxc » Thu May 16, 2019 1:07 pm

It wouldn't be just passing on New Orleans, but CBA dictated $8-10 million for your first couple years.

I don't think he does it.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#16 » by Billl » Thu May 16, 2019 1:15 pm

Why would he even sign with an agent? There is no negotiating rookie deals. May as well just sign that one yourself and save $3 mil or so. Then find an agent for your shoe deals etc.

Anyway, zion is going pro. He'd have to be monumentally stupid to pass up millions of dollars and risk a major injury.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#17 » by likashing » Thu May 16, 2019 1:32 pm

My sources tell me that Klutch is going after Zion hard. They managed to brain **** AD so don’t underestimate what they can do to a real kid like Zion. No matter whether they end up being his agency, Zion is listening to Klutch.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#18 » by cheese318 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:08 pm

lonzo_pelota wrote:this is the pelicans and nba's biggest nightmare, can you imagine if he did that, if im zion i dont wanna go there simply because they have my stunt double there already by the name of julius randle and he's trying to be a lead dog on that team, plus he's a lefty ball handling big that mirrors zions game ,except zion and go about 12inches higher on vertical, if i have confirmation he's opting out and not resigning then it might work, cant picture both of them playing together down in N.O. eating up each others touches and mins
zion's gonna need space and opportunity

He’s def opting out now if NOP plans to resign him is the question
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,547

Post#19 » by Psubs » Thu May 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Should trade for #3 buddy Barrett.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#20 » by TimRobbins » Thu May 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Complete non-sense. He's going to the Pelicans.

Return to Wiretap Discussion