Should the Pelicans trade for LeBron?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Should the Pelicans acquire LeBron James?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 69

Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Re: Should the Pelicans trade for LeBron? 

Post#21 » by Boneman2 » Thu May 16, 2019 4:39 am

It would be a self inflicted wound if LAL were to trade LeBron because it would give reason for pause to other potential free agents, especially elite ones, worried about getting shipped out to undesirable locations. In reality, LeBron runs the team now. Whatever he decides will happen, will happen, and he damn sure won't end up in the bayou.

Although LAL is hemorrhaging high lotto picks left and right, the organization does not deserve any compensation for LeBron, that would be Cleveland.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,720

Post#22 » by NZB2323 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:58 am

canadiansporter wrote:So funny how people legitimately think it's a good idea to trade LeBron :lol:

I'm not a huge Bron fan but c'mon now...... man has one injury after one of the best playoff runs we've seen in YEARS and still averages great numbers and all of a sudden he's a "useless old man."

The hate for Bron often blinds people from reality. The Lakers ain't moving LeBron unless they just want to be in the lottery for the next 5 years again LOL

I’d rather have a 19 year old star than a 35 year old star.

It’d be like if the Lakers traded Shaq for Lebron in 2005.
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,096

Post#23 » by JB2 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:18 am

The Shop: Bourbon Street Edition Coming Fall 200Never
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#24 » by yoyoboy » Thu May 16, 2019 7:05 am

What about Solomon Hill, E'twaun Moore, Zion Williamson (#1 Pick), 2020 lottery protected first (and needed guys for salary filler) for LeBron James, Josh Hart, Kyle Kuzma, Alex Caruso, De'Andre Hunter (#4 Pick)?

Use the number 4 pick to draft Hunter since he's the most surefire, ready prospect available at that slot.

Jrue Holiday / Alex Caruso
Josh Hart / Vet Min Guy
Kyle Kuzma / De'Andre Hunter
LeBron James / Julius Randle
Anthony Davis / Vet Min Guy

If KD leaves Golden State, that team can contend for a championship.

As for the Lakers, you turn a situation that looks like it's imploding on itself into a promising one and escape 3 more years of LeBron drama. You still retain your two most prized young guys and build around Zion, Lonzo, and Ingram, while using that core to entice one of the big fish this summer, and then once Hill and Moore expire next summer, you can now go after one of the 2020 free agency stars.
badass316
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,075

Post#25 » by badass316 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:57 am

Absolutely not. Not only would they mortgage their future, but it will all be for not. LeBron will most likely try to force his way out of town and act like a complete cancer to the team.

They've been gifted Zion. Rake Boston for as much as they can for AD. Move Jrue for more future assets. Build around Zion and whatever young asset they get in exchange and take on expiring contracts for even more future picks.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#26 » by Spens1 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:58 am

I mean if you send either of Zion or A.D, i don't think many lakers fans would complain :lol:
TheNG
Rookie
And1: 1,395

Post#27 » by TheNG » Thu May 16, 2019 8:11 am

Up-And-Coming wrote:
sule wrote:I think it'd actually make a lot of sense for LeBron + #4 for Zion +whatever contracts they can muster together.

Lakers get a star they can groom and grow with Lonzo and Ingram and Kuzma. And LeBron gets to play with AD. Both AD and LeBron should theoretically be happy.

A championship run by New Orleans with AD and LeBron would also bring in enough cash and generate a potentially lasting interest in the team such that subsequent rebuilding years would be easier on the team. They'd lose out on Zion's career, but for the next 3 years they'd potentially have LeBron and would have AD for at least a year.

You keep LeBron for 3 years, generating cash for the franchise, and that's probably worth losing out on the career of Zion wearing your jersey.

And if NO still can't generate enough money or interest in the team with LeBron (even on his final legs), then you seriously consider moving the franchise, b/c nothing would make the market viable if they can't be massively profitable with LeBron.

I get what you are saying, but I think Lebron + # 4 for Zion + filler is a bit disrespectful to Lebron. I get that he's up there in age but I think recency bias does a disfavor to Lebron who just last year made a GOATish finals run and almost universally takes a backseat to only one, Michael Jordan for being the GOAT. Not to mention statistically this year he hasn't dropped off as much as people like to think (despite the fact that it's common knowledge he paces himself during the regular season)

There is nothing disrespectful in a deal made by two teams (assuming it happens). You don't trade player resumes, You trade their current value, which include stuff as age etc.
If you have more "Posts" than "And1", don't feel bad if I didn't reply to you - I just don't like to speak with people who argue a lot :beer:
TheNG
Rookie
And1: 1,395

Post#28 » by TheNG » Thu May 16, 2019 8:15 am

canadiansporter wrote:So funny how people legitimately think it's a good idea to trade LeBron :lol:

I'm not a huge Bron fan but c'mon now...... man has one injury after one of the best playoff runs we've seen in YEARS and still averages great numbers and all of a sudden he's a "useless old man."

The hate for Bron often blinds people from reality. The Lakers ain't moving LeBron unless they just want to be in the lottery for the next 5 years again LOL

Or if they want to get rid of the toxicity which doesn't help their brand.
If you have more "Posts" than "And1", don't feel bad if I didn't reply to you - I just don't like to speak with people who argue a lot :beer:
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#29 » by marcush » Thu May 16, 2019 8:43 am

Billy King and Bobby Marks approve.
canadiansporter
Rookie
And1: 873

Post#30 » by canadiansporter » Thu May 16, 2019 5:32 pm

Lunartic wrote:
canadiansporter wrote:
Lunartic wrote:
Aren't the Lakers in the lottery now?

because they were plagued with injuries and shut it down with 2+ weeks left in the season to tank a little.

but everyone knew they wouldn't be good this year, unless you were completely oblivious.

Will they be good this coming season?

Loaded question, depends how FA goes... if they don't get anyone and barring injuries, I give them 8th seed.

If they get someone in FA, that could change everything
canadiansporter
Rookie

Post#31 » by canadiansporter » Thu May 16, 2019 5:37 pm

NZB2323 wrote:

The Lakers want to win now, not in 5 years. They tried the prospect route, where did that get them?
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,242

Post#32 » by PhilBlackson » Thu May 16, 2019 5:38 pm

Nope they have their cashcow for the next 7+ years. I don't want an AD trade to the Knicks for my own selfish reasons (ie/ no superteam in the East) but if they trade with NY to get #3 so they can also lock in Zion's bff RJ, they might just have him for a decade plus.

Give that away for what?! Maybe 2 years of a roster not guaranteed to win while LeBron bends your franchise to his will and your left with nothing in 3 years?! Pass!
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#33 » by Up-And-Coming » Thu May 16, 2019 5:41 pm

TheNG wrote:
Up-And-Coming wrote:
sule wrote:I think it'd actually make a lot of sense for LeBron + #4 for Zion +whatever contracts they can muster together.

Lakers get a star they can groom and grow with Lonzo and Ingram and Kuzma. And LeBron gets to play with AD. Both AD and LeBron should theoretically be happy.

A championship run by New Orleans with AD and LeBron would also bring in enough cash and generate a potentially lasting interest in the team such that subsequent rebuilding years would be easier on the team. They'd lose out on Zion's career, but for the next 3 years they'd potentially have LeBron and would have AD for at least a year.

You keep LeBron for 3 years, generating cash for the franchise, and that's probably worth losing out on the career of Zion wearing your jersey.

And if NO still can't generate enough money or interest in the team with LeBron (even on his final legs), then you seriously consider moving the franchise, b/c nothing would make the market viable if they can't be massively profitable with LeBron.

I get what you are saying, but I think Lebron + # 4 for Zion + filler is a bit disrespectful to Lebron. I get that he's up there in age but I think recency bias does a disfavor to Lebron who just last year made a GOATish finals run and almost universally takes a backseat to only one, Michael Jordan for being the GOAT. Not to mention statistically this year he hasn't dropped off as much as people like to think (despite the fact that it's common knowledge he paces himself during the regular season)

There is nothing disrespectful in a deal made by two teams (assuming it happens). You don't trade player resumes, You trade their current value, which include stuff as age etc.

I guess what I’m saying is that even current Lebron who paired with AD and another All-Star gives you the best shot in franchise history to obtain a title. That alone I think values him at just as much value as Zion for the Pelican franchise imo.

This again is only assuming AD and Lebron are both on board and AD signs a long term deal for NOLA
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#34 » by DoItALL9 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:41 pm

Lunartic wrote:
canadiansporter wrote:So funny how people legitimately think it's a good idea to trade LeBron

Aren't the Lakers in the lottery now?
LoL

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
NZB2323
RealGM

Post#35 » by NZB2323 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:49 pm

canadiansporter wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:

The Lakers want to win now, not in 5 years. They tried the prospect route, where did that get them?

Seemed to work out pretty well when they got an 18 year old Kobe Bryant.
bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#36 » by bulliedog8 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:19 pm

Boneman2 wrote:It would be a self inflicted wound if LAL were to trade LeBron because it would give reason for pause to other potential free agents, especially elite ones, worried about getting shipped out to undesirable locations. In reality, LeBron runs the team now. Whatever he decides will happen, will happen, and he damn sure won't end up in the bayou.

Although LAL is hemorrhaging high lotto picks left and right, the organization does not deserve any compensation for LeBron, that would be Cleveland.

I never understand this reasoning. The, "you cant trade lebron because then other elite free agents will consider not going to LA in fear of being shipped out."

The lakers have only acquired one major free agent in the last nearly 30 years. And that was shaq. But other than Shaq, they never acquired major FAs. Malone and Payton were 1yr from retirement when they came. Lebron is the other major one, but even he is 34 and it was more for post basketball life and his kids, than for truly the lakers. Or else every other free agent they have missed on.

Dwight-Trade
Pau- Trade
CP0- trade and veto

This myth that they get major FAs isnt true. So they should not be afraid to trade lebron because of that.
Durant Durant
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,094

Post#37 » by Durant Durant » Thu May 16, 2019 6:23 pm

No no yes yes
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,789

Post#38 » by Michael Jordan » Thu May 16, 2019 6:28 pm

Lebron will be 35 during next years playoffs if his team even makes it. This is the terrible idea.
canadiansporter
Rookie

Post#39 » by canadiansporter » Thu May 16, 2019 9:12 pm

NZB2323 wrote:
canadiansporter wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:

You're really comparing Kobe to an unproven prospect? Kobe also joined a top-10 player of all time .... of course they did well
NZB2323
RealGM

Post#40 » by NZB2323 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:31 pm

canadiansporter wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:
canadiansporter wrote:

You're really comparing Kobe to an unproven prospect? Kobe also joined a top-10 player of all time .... of course they did well

Kobe’s whole career turned out great and Zion is a much better prospect than Kobe Bryant was at the time.

While we’re playing this game, name me all the great years players have had at 35 and 36 years old.

Return to The General Board