Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers 

Post#81 » by Black Mage » Wed May 15, 2019 11:15 pm

sule wrote:
T-d0t wrote:
Black Mage wrote:He didn't get clowned.

Quite honestly, a Raptors fan shouldn't comment about crying because I'm pretty sure their tears after choking so many years in a row are part of the reason we have rising sea levels.
Damn, that's some salt.

You'd be salty too if your team tanked for a decade, wasted a half dozen top 3 picks, and ended up with an overweight, injury prone C and a PG who has less scoring range than Shaq. :lol:

Weak troll attempt. Tank was 3 years. During those three years I recall watching over inflated Raptor egos popping every year as their team curled into the fetal position against LeBron. Good times. 8-)
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#82 » by sule » Wed May 15, 2019 11:37 pm

Black Mage wrote:
sule wrote:
T-d0t wrote:Damn, that's some salt.

You'd be salty too if your team tanked for a decade, wasted a half dozen top 3 picks, and ended up with an overweight, injury prone C and a PG who has less scoring range than Shaq. :lol:

Weak troll attempt. Tank was 3 years. During those three years I recall watching over inflated Raptor egos popping every year as their team curled into the fetal position against LeBron. Good times. 8-)

And what does it say about Philly that you couldn't get past the Raptors you look down upon? After all, you're the ones who tanked for superstars after giving up every season LeBron has been in the league. In fact, you guys have been tanking nearly his entire career :lol:
reborn123
Pro Prospect
And1: 780

Post#83 » by reborn123 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:02 am

mrtease wrote:
Luigi wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:People who laughed at Embiid for crying should be the ones embarrassed. Last time I checked most sports fans were older than 6th graders, and athlete showing care and emotion after a devastating loss should be cheered up.

mrtease wrote:Laughing at someone for crying is what kids do at school, once you've matured and developed empathy for other people, what the heck is your excuse?

honestly, most normal people outside of internet boards will see you laughing at Embiid crying and think way worse of you than they do of him (most people will have a lot of empathy/sympathy for him).

Everybody cries- would you like it if next time you're crying, someone filmed it and then a bunch of internet nerds started laughing at you because they're devoid of basic empathy?

Why do you think all crying is the same?

If a passionate player cries in a tragic defeat, that is nothing to laugh at. I respect it. If someone cries after being bullied, I have great sympathy. But if a childish, showboating, disrespectful player cries in his defeat, well, that's a different story. There is good comedy in an incredibly talented grown man act like a child on social media and on the court, and then acting childish in his defeat, too. Most normal people are sensitive to this difference. So you are right that laughing at crying by itself is usually a bad thing, and most normal people see that. But you are wrong about this case. A laugh at a temper tantrum or a comeuppance is totally appropriate, and most normal people can see the difference.

It also seems like the moral disgust you are feeling applies to people we have relationships with. Fellow students, coworkers, friends. I think that's different than laughing at a story. None of us are acquainted with Joel Embiid the person. Instead, we are acquanted with Joel Embiid the basketball personality in an entertainment league. He's more like a character in a story than the fellow student getting bullied. This character just underwent the change in the drama that leads to a later resolution.

https://www.britannica.com/art/peripeteia
"Peripeteia, (Greek: “reversal”) the turning point in a drama after which the plot moves steadily to its denouement. It is discussed by Aristotle in the Poetics as the shift of the tragic protagonist’s fortune from good to bad, which is essential to the plot of a tragedy. It is often an ironic twist, as in Sophocles’ Oedipus Rex when a messenger brings Oedipus news about his parents that he thinks will cheer him, but the news instead slowly brings about the awful recognition that leads to Oedipus’s catastrophe."

It will be a comedy is he reforms, a tragedy if he doesn't. All good drama, but I'm rooting for the happy ending.

Kate Winslow wrote:Embiid's a fun character. He shouldn't change.

He is certainly a good character in a storyline. This story is a funny one at his expense. But if he reformed going forward, grew up and changed his ways, he could become a very interesting hero in a story instead of a clown. But we'll see. If he wants to stay on the childish villain side, it does make for a good story. But I like to root for characters to mature and develop.

You're a grown man laughing at someone crying, yet you seem to think they're the immature one :nonono:

Get off your high horse please.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#84 » by B-Ball Freak » Thu May 16, 2019 12:08 am

76ciology wrote:You see. Jojo doesnt clown guys who are better than him. Just think about it.

If he knows he’s better, then he has to clown over that guy. And if you think you’re better than jojo, then you could clown him to.

He was clowning the Raptors in game 3, Kawhi is on the Raptors...does he think he's better than Kawhi? Just curious.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#85 » by 76ciology » Thu May 16, 2019 1:28 am

B-Ball Freak wrote:
76ciology wrote:You see. Jojo doesnt clown guys who are better than him. Just think about it.

If he knows he’s better, then he has to clown over that guy. And if you think you’re better than jojo, then you could clown him to.

He was clowning the Raptors in game 3, Kawhi is on the Raptors...does he think he's better than Kawhi? Just curious.

We were the more talented team than the raptors. He wasnt particularly clowning kawhi.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#86 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu May 16, 2019 1:45 am

sule wrote:
Black Mage wrote:
sule wrote:

And what does it say about Philly that you couldn't get past the Raptors you look down upon? After all, you're the ones who tanked for superstars after giving up every season LeBron has been in the league. In fact, you guys have been tanking nearly his entire career :lol:

You’re not even close to being the same team, for starters. It’s kinda embarrassing how you’re puffing your chest out over a coin flip series. Make like Kawhi and act like you’ve been there before.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#87 » by Black Mage » Thu May 16, 2019 2:56 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
sule wrote:
Black Mage wrote:

You’re not even close to being the same team, for starters. It’s kinda embarrassing how you’re puffing your chest out over a coin flip series. Make like Kawhi and act like you’ve been there before.

Don't worry, Giannis is there ready to remind him and the Raptors that they've been here before. :wink:
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#88 » by TheNewEra » Thu May 16, 2019 3:00 am

It’s crazy as hell they lost that series shooting a better fg and 3pt percentage in game 7. lol
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#89 » by Baski » Thu May 16, 2019 7:31 am

This Embiid white knighting is ridiculous. So crying negates all the reasons he's given others to dislike him? Nonsense. So now all players have to do to avoid ridicule when they lose is cry?
mksp
Analyst
And1: 2,485

Post#90 » by mksp » Thu May 16, 2019 1:15 pm

Some of these Raptor fans are the biggest whiners on the board, so none of this thread is surprising.

As Bodner said on their podcast, If you didn't like Embiid windmill dunking in a game then don't let a 7' 2" guy roll down the lane and windmill dunk.

Has nothing to do with showing genuine emotions after the game. Gasol understands that, wish the fans in Toronto did.
spacemonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,661

Post#91 » by spacemonkey » Thu May 16, 2019 2:04 pm

Imagine complaining that you got to see a sick ass dunk.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,629

Post#92 » by LordCovington33 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:21 am

I don’t really think Embiid gives a damn about the trolls since he is using the crying pic as his twitter profile. His motivation to keep striving, keep getting better.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoelEmbiid

You can laugh at him all you like, but I don’t really think he cares. He is a doer and is successful at what he does, unlike many of those mocking.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#93 » by GeorgeMarcus » Fri May 17, 2019 4:25 am

LordCovington33 wrote:I don’t really think Embiid gives a damn about the trolls since he is using the crying pic as his twitter profile. His motivation to keep striving, keep getting better.

You can laugh at him all you like, but I don’t really think he cares. He is a doer and is successful at what he does, unlike many of those mocking.

:lol: Probably deserves its own thread. Way to be JoJo
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,346

Post#94 » by Johnny Bball » Fri May 17, 2019 4:18 pm

LordCovington33 wrote:I don’t really think Embiid gives a damn about the trolls since he is using the crying pic as his twitter profile. His motivation to keep striving, keep getting better.

"Peacock today, feather duster tomorrow."
HeartBreaking
Starter
And1: 2,313

Post#95 » by HeartBreaking » Fri May 17, 2019 10:25 pm

Him crying doesnt mean anything. It doesnt mean hes going to work harder or watch his diet.

Sent from my LG-H873 using RealGM mobile app
PaulieWal wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:He's going to get fined by the league for that. Marv Albert was actually saying don't do that, don't do that. Meanwhile half the audience was thinking Marv should know.

That's Kevin Harlan.

Return to The General Board