I'm taking a break from following the NBA. Here's why.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,974

Re: I'm taking a break from following the NBA. Here's why. 

Post#41 » by Capn'O » Thu May 16, 2019 4:32 am

Weird timing. The last few playoffs have been awful. These have been FIRE.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,974

Post#42 » by Capn'O » Thu May 16, 2019 4:33 am

Black Jack wrote:Suns fans have no basis to complain, you had great teams for years. Back when the Warriors were fielding such monsters as Todd Fuller and Les Jepsen.

You had superstars like Barkley and Nash land in your lap :lol: :lol: :lol:

Les Jaspen, more problems I always say.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#43 » by xdrta+ » Thu May 16, 2019 4:33 am

76ciology wrote:
Regarding players' actions:
Social media, the style of sports media and players getting ridiculously overpaid. You can't blame the players giving those kind of statements when Media keep fishing for hot takes. If they don't answer it, then it could also be open to a lot of speculation. Kind of how FBI interrogates suspects.

I've said it before, as you increase the salary the value of a championship decreases. These days players value money and where they want to spend that money over winning championships.

The players are overpaid? Yeah, they should cut all the players salaries so the owners can make more money. That sounds fair. The NBA is entertainment, and the players are the talent. Do you know how much some talent in the entertainment business make? A lot more than basketball players.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,741

Post#44 » by Johnny Bball » Thu May 16, 2019 4:40 am

Player movement, ignore obvious flaws in officiating, and the cost that has become astronomical will be the reason why I stop buying seasons, likely next year. If it wasn't for a different kind of year, that would have happened already. And as for altogether, I sense that the NBA doesn't want to hear what fans don't like and one day it will just happen on a larger scale.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,516

Post#45 » by 76ciology » Thu May 16, 2019 4:45 am

xdrta+ wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Regarding players' actions:
Social media, the style of sports media and players getting ridiculously overpaid. You can't blame the players giving those kind of statements when Media keep fishing for hot takes. If they don't answer it, then it could also be open to a lot of speculation. Kind of how FBI interrogates suspects.

I've said it before, as you increase the salary the value of a championship decreases. These days players value money and where they want to spend that money over winning championships.

The players are overpaid? Yeah, they should cut all the players salaries so the owners can make more money. That sounds fair. The NBA is entertainment, and the players are the talent. Do you know how much some talent in the entertainment business make? A lot more than basketball players.

Do you also know the expense these owners have to spent and the amount of money in terms of risks when business aren’t doing well?

Exaggerating to make my point.. who would play his heart out for a championship and the bonuses that goes along with it between a player guaranteed to be paid for $100M and a player paid for $1$
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#46 » by bleeds_purple » Thu May 16, 2019 4:45 am

Usual Suspects wrote:
TheDavinciCHODE wrote:I get that a lot of the off-court stuff with the NBA is tough to swallow and we focus on too much more outside of bball now.

But I have the same memory span of basketball as you do and I can say 100% without a doubt that the game was nowhere near as good in the 90s and 2000s as you're remembering. A lot of the basketball was UNBEARABLE.

I get what you mean about watching Kobe do the work and the suspense of seeing the moves and what not, but a lot of his shots made me throw up my hands. And Kobe is what? A career 40% shooter or something? The ball really didn't go in that often.

And these playoffs have proven that 3s mean nothing if you don't have everything else. They've been tough, physical, played in the mid range and around the bucket, etc.

I do 100% agree with the issues of loyal fan bases and loving teams with "homegrown" players. That's a big issue for me and as a Knicks fan one that's going to be challenged with this offseason dreams of KD and Kyrie, but basketball is definitely better as a game now than it ever has been.

do you really think the 2008 Celtics played "beautiful" basketball? I loved that team, but there was nothing beautiful about it man. That's your memory overhyping the past like we all do.

They played KENDRICK PERKINS AT CENTER!!!!

This times a million.

Some people need to take off their rose-colored glasses.

The thing is, they are both right. Enjoying entertainment is largely subjective. Some people love a TV show; other people hate the same show. What makes you think basketball is any different?
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#47 » by homecourtloss » Thu May 16, 2019 4:53 am

8on wrote:
I don't think the NBA is great right now.

I completely disagree. I’m 42 and have watched and attended NBA games since I was 8. I mention this in anticipation of the inevitable “Didn’t see the glory of the ‘80s and ‘90s Ball” contingent.

The NBA has more talent now than it has ever had, and it’s by a fairly large margin as well. The worldwide talent pool is so large right now, and it’s making the game better. You talk about late ‘90s and the 2000s—the talent today is a night and day difference. Go look at the rosters of the ‘80s and ‘90s, watch a few of those games.

As for talking a break from watching, go right ahead, but you’ll be missing out. Also, most people who say “I’m leaving” or “taking a break” don’t stay away very long.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
PizzaSteve
Veteran
And1: 1,837

Post#48 » by PizzaSteve » Thu May 16, 2019 5:09 am

We all get older. Embrace it. Fan since around 1969. After 40 years of being a joke, one exception, my franchise is the most hated dynasty. Never in my wildest dreams.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,437

Post#49 » by Cactus Jack » Thu May 16, 2019 5:25 am

nomansland wrote:If the NBA no longer appeals to you as an entertainment product, just find other **** to do. Life's short.

Yeah, I don't watch the Regular Season anymore. Especially during the Football season. Very little interest.

When we lost the Sonics, I stopped watching for a period. Mostly out of anger & well...sadness.

OP will be back at some point. Because the NBA is frankly downright entertaining. Great reality TV.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#50 » by Mulhollanddrive » Thu May 16, 2019 5:27 am

I doubt this thread exists if Phoenix won Zion yesterday.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,701

Post#51 » by Chuck Everett » Thu May 16, 2019 7:52 am

Honestly, the issue right now is the media and how they cover the game. Too much gossip, not enough basketball. Siakam turns into a stud, yet all anyone wants to talk about is if Kawhi will leave. Why not talk about it after the playoffs are over?

Then I remember one thing. Traditional media is on its last legs. These guys livelihoods depend on this madness. So I simply tune it out. I go to one site which aggregates all of the NBA transactional news for me and I come to RealGM or Reddit to talk about the actual games.

I have only ever cared about basketball from a standpoint of winning and losing. Other people care about shoe endorsements like they are getting a cut from the players' or Nike themselves. I find that strange.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Promezclan
Starter
And1: 948

Post#52 » by Promezclan » Thu May 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Keep us updated on your thought processes!
Knicks7Tape
Pro Prospect
And1: 902

Post#53 » by Knicks7Tape » Thu May 16, 2019 12:13 pm

BlogGM
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,442

Post#54 » by Myth » Thu May 16, 2019 12:49 pm

The OP's post seems very confusing. So many of the things he complained about fit with the Suns team that he was a fan of. The Nash led Suns is a huge reason the style of play of the Warriors exist. He hates players bouncing around teams searching for championships, but his favorite moment included a team that consistent of Steve Nash and Shaq. Then non-Suns related: He misses the good ole days of Derrick Rose? That was the same era as LeBron building superteams of people in their prime. He hates the idea of the feeling of an inevitable championship for a specific team, but was a fan of the NBA during the era of MJ Bulls and early 2000s Lakers. As others have pointed out, this really does feel like it boils down to "I don't like the Warriors so this isn't fun for me, and the Suns aren't relevant currently, so I'm out."

That is fine if you are out for the following reason, but this does have the feeling of the OP not caring as much about basketball as he does specific rooting interests.
KayDee35
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,613

Post#55 » by KayDee35 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:00 pm

I don't blame you. Kawhi took a break from the NBA too and then this happened.

OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,775

Post#56 » by OrlandoNed » Thu May 16, 2019 1:37 pm

Cool story.
jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Post#57 » by jbent87 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:49 pm

jlokine wrote:Here's why:

"i'm a suns fan."

looked at the OPs allegiance and the first few sentences about the game not being played the right way anymore and then stopped lol. Dude has the worst run organization in sports and is blaming the league, not his team, for his issues with the game.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,741

Post#58 » by Johnny Bball » Thu May 16, 2019 1:57 pm

picc wrote:How about instead of announcing you're going to leave in a hyper narcissistic and desperate cry for attention, you just leave?

You mean like ...The Decision. And the subsequent two times..
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,558

Post#59 » by ken6199 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:07 pm

OP, I can feel your passion and I love it, seems like you can channel it in a better way. At the end of the day this is just an entertainment unless you are actually in the basketball profession yourself. If you can enjoy it, great. If not, don't let it ruin your life.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#60 » by zimpy27 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:12 pm

Knicks7Tape wrote:BlogGM

FeelGM
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie

Return to The General Board