It’s still mind boggling that Paul George decided to kill his career and stay with okc

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Re: It’s still mind boggling that Paul George decided to kill his career and stay with okc 

Post#61 » by red_power » Thu May 16, 2019 7:21 am

OnlyOneWay2Play wrote:If the Pelicans refuse to deal with the Lakers for AD, it makes a lot of sense for everyone (OKC, LAL, and PG13 himself) to do a trade like the following:

OKC gets: #4 pick and Brandon Ingram
LAL get: Paul George

Why for OKC?: Start to rebuild (since they are going nowhere anyway) with two great young players AND save a ton of money.

Why for LAL: Gets a great two-way player that fits well with LeBron. If they sign even a Kemba or Butler level player in FA (let alone Kawhi or KD), they are a legit contender: Lonzo-Butler-PG13-LeBron-Javale

Why for PG13: Gets to play on a real contender and not waste more years with shell-of-himself Westbrook AND go back to his hometown (+ bigger market) of LA

Ingram's career is pretty much over. His trade value equals to a 2nd round pick from GSW right now.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,813

Re: It’s still mind boggling that Paul George decided to kill his career and stay with okc 

Post#62 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Thu May 16, 2019 8:00 am

Not every players have "rings" as their priority in basketball. Many of them care about comfort and just playing basketball for fun. Winning games and being in a playoff is just gravy for some of them.

People's obsession with stars winning rings can be toxic sometimes. This is why LeBron created this "superteam" culture and KD did what he did. Leave these players alone and let them figure out how they want their career to end. How they want their legacy to be is up to them. Who are you to tell guys like PG that he "killed" his career?

And for the record, even if OKC lost at the first round, PG had an overall successful season.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 9,508

Post#63 » by Chuck Everett » Thu May 16, 2019 8:08 am

Lakers fans are struggling with being bad for 6 years in a row. It's not exactly clear if they will be in the playoffs next year either, because the West is literally that difficult. Sacramento, Minnesota, Dallas all want to make it as well and are willing to compete to get there. Phoenix, New Orleans and Memphis are rebuilding.

That is a tough situation to think you have Lebron (regardless of age) and you are still not guaranteed to make the playoffs. Whoever they pick at 4 is going to want to play or they will try to move. Again, who is in charge there? Pelinka? Jeanie? Rambis? Phil? Klutch? It's a **** in El Segundo.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,141

Post#64 » by marcush » Thu May 16, 2019 8:41 am

If the choice was L.A. v OKC then he made a great decision.

Would imagine that he took an objective look at LAs roster and just saw Garbage. Looked at the FO and thought, Joke. A weird family business type ownership group.

And was totally justified when they.......couldn’t even make the playoffs......not even close.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#65 » by Spens1 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:37 am

I mean in the regular season they did damn well. Of course in the playoffs it all fell a part.

They just need a good S.G and an upgrade at P.F and they'll be fine.

Granted, i think if P.G came to the lakers, we'd have made the playoffs (37-45 without him, its not unlikely with him we get to the 8th seed) but still, he's much more of a star this season than he would have been otherwise had he gone anywhere else.
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,784

Post#66 » by Mos_Heat » Thu May 16, 2019 11:10 am

NBAFan93 wrote:Lol. LeBron is 4 years older than Westbrook and missed 18 games last season. Let’s just see who is more of a “shell of themselves” a year from now. Brandon Ingram and pick for a 29 year old MVP-level player w/ 2 years left on his deal is LOL.

It's gonna be Westbrook
:reporter:
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,003

Post#67 » by iggymcfrack » Thu May 16, 2019 11:19 am

There was no way he could possibly know how hard Westbrook was gonna fall off this year. It was kinda baffling really. Had he bounced back a little closer to his 2017 form this year instead of going further downhill this season, OKC would have been at least the 2 seed if not the 1 seed. I mean it still didn’t seem like the very best basketball decision at the time, but it didn’t seem anywhere near as bad as it looks in retrospect.
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#68 » by Gooner » Thu May 16, 2019 11:34 am

They just need more shotoers and they'll be fine. Presti needs to step up. I don't understand the purpose of Terrance Ferguson in the starting lineup.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,648

Post#69 » by nedleeds » Thu May 16, 2019 11:35 am

Westbrook and his supermax cap killer killed his career.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Klayforspicy
Head Coach
And1: 7,248

Post#70 » by Klayforspicy » Thu May 16, 2019 11:37 am

He had his best regular season. Both guys are too injury riddled and I think it played a big part in their playoff demise
spicy6
Starter
And1: 1,841

Post#71 » by spicy6 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:11 pm

TheProfessor wrote:
spicy6 wrote:He and westbrook were both bad in the first round, he wasnt carrying anything especially after the all star break where he slumped majorly. They both need to look at each other in the mirrors and play better next year because theyre definitely capable. Only time will tell whether he made the right choice or not.

Who? PG had 1 bad game in game 1 and for the series he was going for 29/9/4 on 58&ts and had -.4 on and a -44.1 off playing 41minutes a game. PG wasn't allowed to leave the court because they were getting blown out without him and add to fact he hurt his shoulder.

Westbrick on the other hand was a waste of 40m and was a complete negative, and hijacked game 6 for the L.

PG probably had one of the best 2 way seasons in the nba, he was leading the league in rapm. But thanks to Westbrick and his own stupidity, all will be forgotten.

Uh no... He was terrible games 1 and 3, like terrible, difference is if he played well game 1, and russ played well game 5 they could have had both of those games but they were both to inconsistent. They were both awful the plus minus doesnt take into the fact that they were playing PG most of the time well mccollum and lillard were off thats why its such a disgruntled stat most times. And he played great in the RS up to the all star break but then went on his usual slump, russ's shot is broken, had an anomaly of a year and he obviously needs to get better they both do.
lamscott
Analyst
And1: 3,034

Post#72 » by lamscott » Thu May 16, 2019 8:15 pm

Is rotator cuff surgery that long? Why not get it fixed and healthy before the playoffs? Although... they did skid all the way to the back end of the west coast playoff teams.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,797

Post#73 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu May 16, 2019 8:18 pm

He seems happy in OKC. I don't understand why it's mind boggling a guy stayed where he was happy and seemed to feel loved plus welcomed.

I don't think that makes him less of a competitor or makes him have less of a drive to win.
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran
And1: 2,379

Post#74 » by WestbrookGOATed » Thu May 16, 2019 8:19 pm

Guest202 wrote:Bill Simmons hits on this conspiracy once a month: Silver told PG and Lakers he isn't signing there. Too much blatant tampering, including tampering that led to Magic getting fined. I guarantee owners, especially Dan Gilbert, were livid behind the scenes that Bron and Magic were tampering so shamelessly.

And I believe it. PG to LA was a lock for like a year. Only way that didn't happen is because Silver flexed.
That is one of the most dumb things I've ever heard. Only a Lakers fan would believe that.
Guest202
Sixth Man
And1: 1,245

Post#75 » by Guest202 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:23 pm

Best2EverDoIt wrote:
Guest202 wrote:Bill Simmons hits on this conspiracy once a month: Silver told PG and Lakers he isn't signing there. Too much blatant tampering, including tampering that led to Magic getting fined. I guarantee owners, especially Dan Gilbert, were livid behind the scenes that Bron and Magic were tampering so shamelessly.

And I believe it. PG to LA was a lock for like a year. Only way that didn't happen is because Silver flexed.
That is one of the most dumb things I've ever heard. Only a Lakers fan would believe that.

Bill Simmons is a Celtics fanboy and Clippers season ticket holder, so...
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,492

Post#76 » by Bergmaniac » Thu May 16, 2019 8:24 pm

lamscott wrote:Is rotator cuff surgery that long?

Yes, he had it done about a week ago and is expected to miss the start of the preseason training camp for next season.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,490

Post#77 » by JayMKE » Thu May 16, 2019 8:24 pm

Maybe Lebron shouldn't have killed his career and signed with the Lakers
FREE GIANNIS
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran
And1: 2,379

Post#78 » by WestbrookGOATed » Thu May 16, 2019 8:48 pm

Guest202 wrote:
Best2EverDoIt wrote:

Bill Simmons is a Celtics fanboy and Clippers season ticket holder, so...
And he's talking just to talk. Common sense says he's bull ****.
NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#79 » by NPZ » Thu May 16, 2019 9:55 pm

Wasabi_Johnson wrote:Every player not playing for legacy. Cash them checks.

Going from Indianapolis and then choosing Oklahoma City demonstrates an individual who has absolutely no need for excitement. George resigning there was the biggest thing since the Dustbowl and the OKC bombing.
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,182

Post#80 » by Nuntius » Thu May 16, 2019 10:05 pm

Nah, he didn't kill his career at all. He was at his best this past season and was talked up as an MVP candidate. PG is a relatively chill guy so he needs to play alongside a vocal guy like Westbrook. I believe that the two of them are a pretty good fit.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch

Return to The General Board