Zion Williamson still has until May 29 to Withdraw

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Should He Withdraw

Yes, It will be better for his career
31%
No, New Orleans is the place to be
69%

Total votes: 398

jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Re: Zion Williamson still has until May 29 to Withdraw 

Post#361 » by jason bourne » Thu May 16, 2019 4:40 pm

Smirk wrote:
Ben Simmons wrote:If Zion has the courage to confront Pelicans management and make it clear how much he despises the team, they'll trade him, because they can get whatever they want for him :nod:
But I seriously doubt he has the courage or self-confidence to do that.
He's not a man.

This is deranged.

Sure, it's Sixer fan telling people what to do with overall #1 pick. You have to wonder what he thought of one of those overall #1 picks was crying after Kawhi's shot bounced-bounced-bounced in.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Ben Simmons
Starter
And1: 1,077

Post#362 » by Ben Simmons » Thu May 16, 2019 4:52 pm

jason bourne wrote:
Smirk wrote:
Ben Simmons wrote:If Zion has the courage to confront Pelicans management and make it clear how much he despises the team, they'll trade him, because they can get whatever they want for him :nod:
But I seriously doubt he has the courage or self-confidence to do that.
He's not a man.

This is deranged.

Sure, it's Sixer fan telling people what to do with overall #1 pick.

I didn't tell anyone what to do with the #1 pick....
I said what I think New Orleans will do if Zion makes it clear that he "would prefer not to play for New Orleans" (in those exact classy words).
Again I don't think Zion has the courage to say that to New Orleans front office anyway :D
But there is no chance that Zion would prefer to play for New Orleans over New York or other big markets.
rrayy
Senior
And1: 382

Post#363 » by rrayy » Thu May 16, 2019 4:59 pm

Lalouie wrote:
Ice Trae wrote:Does anyone have a screen cap? Did he really look that unhappy?

No

Someone here is dreaming
Apparently you ignored the first page of the thread. The screen cap is there. He absolutely was unhappy.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#364 » by Lalouie » Thu May 16, 2019 6:55 pm

rrayy wrote:
Lalouie wrote:
Ice Trae wrote:Does anyone have a screen cap? Did he really look that unhappy?

No

Someone here is dreaming
Apparently you ignored the first page of the thread. The screen cap is there. He absolutely was unhappy.

i saw the whole thing and you're telling me you're basing everything on a screen cap of one frame???

please

now,,,zion maybe would have "liked" to go elsewhere. who wouldn't. if you like reading discontent into such a desire, then you'll be reading into subplots of subplots of innuendos like a $5 psychiatrist.

leave it alone - https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/253811/Zion-Williamson-Met-With-Pelicans-Grizzlies-In-Chicago
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,432

Post#365 » by FlyingArrow » Thu May 16, 2019 7:06 pm

asero wrote:Except morally, what is the justification that is better for him to enter this year's draft?

Morally? What moral issue is at at stake here? He doesn't owe the city of New Orleans anything.

If he enters this year, he gets paid a year earlier and he gets his max contract a year earlier. Postponing it isn't going to add a year to his career at the end, so it really is money left on the table.
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,597

Post#366 » by Asianiac_24 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:56 pm

FlyingArrow wrote:
asero wrote:Except morally, what is the justification that is better for him to enter this year's draft?

Morally? What moral issue is at at stake here? He doesn't owe the city of New Orleans anything.

If he enters this year, he gets paid a year earlier and he gets his max contract a year earlier. Postponing it isn't going to add a year to his career at the end, so it really is money left on the table.

Not to mention going from making 0 or close to it as a college basketball player to making millions. Even if he gets a career ending injury in the NBA, his rookie contract is enough to set him up for life.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#367 » by jason bourne » Thu May 16, 2019 10:15 pm

Ben Simmons wrote:
jason bourne wrote:
Smirk wrote:
This is deranged.

Sure, it's Sixer fan telling people what to do with overall #1 pick.

I didn't tell anyone what to do with the #1 pick....
I said what I think New Orleans will do if Zion makes it clear that he "would prefer not to play for New Orleans" (in those exact classy words).
Again I don't think Zion has the courage to say that to New Orleans front office anyway :D
But there is no chance that Zion would prefer to play for New Orleans over New York or other big markets.

Zion already said he would be happy with any team before the draft lotto. That said, what you are proposing is really stupid AF. He would be putting the start of his career in jeopardy. If I were the Pels, I would still take him and then Zion would have to hold out trying to force a trade. That won't be popular with the NBA and the league. He also would be going back on his word which he already said to a national audience. That won't be too popular with the shoe cos and other marketers.

Zion doesn't have that kind of leverage although he has more than other draftees in recent past. He isn't going to bring back what AD could. AD has the leverage to force a deal this year instead of just walking away. He already has the endorsement deals. He can give up a supermax deal. Zion already is going to get a shoe contract and endorsements based on his appeal, so it doesn't matter if it's the small market Pelicans. But if he holds out, then the endorsement deals will be put on hold, too. It seems from the reports on realgm that Zion has already met with some of the teams that could get him and he gave them assurances. His stepfather has said as much. That's smart thinking instead of holding out or going back to Duke. What does he have left to prove if he's a lock at #1? Thus, he seems like a great pick for any team with the #1.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
asero
Rookie
And1: 633

Post#368 » by asero » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:01 pm

asero wrote:
13th Man wrote:What would he do? Go back to college for another year? No, can't see it. Too risky.

Too risky as well to play for the Pelicans. See Anthony Davis.

It only took 18 months for Pelicans to prove that Zion will be the next AD
asero
Rookie
And1: 633

Post#369 » by asero » Sun Nov 7, 2021 2:58 am

Zion might be regretting not withdrawing his draft application in 2019.
Like as i said before, stay away from New Orleans or his years will be wasted ala AD

Return to The General Board