Image ImageImage Image

2019 Draft Thread Volume #6 - Post Lottery

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,288

Re: 2019 Draft Thread Volume #6 - Post Lottery 

Post#201 » by dumbell78 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:04 am

Sekou is a real project, I don't know if I would consider him at #7, that clip doesn't sway me really. Looks like a practice run, with a crappy defensive team on the other end.

He could end up being the next Aminu just the same.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#202 » by Axolotl » Mon May 20, 2019 9:53 am

Benedict Miller wrote:I don't expect Hunter to be there by the time we pick.

He might very well be.

If the Lakers use that pick, they might go for a shooter who can play off ball, and take Garland (if they end up trading the pick, who knows). The Cavs might well go for a wing, and take Culver or Hunter. The Suns then take White - and one of Culver/Hunter is available for the Bulls at #7.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#203 » by Red Larrivee » Mon May 20, 2019 11:23 am

Axolotl wrote:
Benedict Miller wrote:I don't expect Hunter to be there by the time we pick.

He might very well be.

If the Lakers use that pick, they might go for a shooter who can play off ball, and take Garland (if they end up trading the pick, who knows). The Cavs might well go for a wing, and take Culver or Hunter. The Suns then take White - and one of Culver/Hunter is available for the Bulls at #7.

Yeah, at this point Cleveland is the wild card. Basically, whoever they don't take has a solid chance to be the Bulls pick at 7. This is assuming the Lakers promised Garland and Phoenix promised White.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#204 » by Hangtime84 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:07 pm

HomoSapien wrote:Nassir Little is growing on me. I wasn't too high on him before after his somewhat disappointing season, but after watching some more tape on him I'm sort of intrigued. We might as well swing for the fences and his potential is undeniable.

I think he is a strong work ethic guy and will reach whatever ceiling he has. We need someone imo who can handle the ball some to break down defenses.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#205 » by No-Man » Mon May 20, 2019 12:37 pm

with the intel we have so far, it's looking like;

NO, Zion Williamson
Memphis, Ja Morant
NY, RJ Barrett
LA, Darius Garland
Cleveland, Jarrett Culver or De'Andre Hunter
Phoenix, Jarrett Culver or Coby White
Chicago, whoever is left between Culver, White and Hunter (likely White), or maybe a trade (?)
Atlanta, Cam Reddish
Washington, Jaxson Hayes, Goga Bitadze, Brandon Clarke or Sekou Doumbouya (would bet Goga)
Atlanta, one of the 3 remaining from the group above (would bet Hayes)
Minnesota, Rui Hachimura
Charlotte, Brandon Clarke's floor
Miami, PJ Washington, Romeo Langford, or the one guy remaining from the Hayes, Sekou, Bitadze group (would bet Sekou)
Boston, whoever the Pelicans want (I believe the AD trade ends up getting done before the Draft with this one included), if Boston keeps the pick my bet would be Tyler Herro
No-Man
RealGM

Post#206 » by No-Man » Mon May 20, 2019 12:41 pm

HomoSapien wrote:Nassir Little is growing on me. I wasn't too high on him before after his somewhat disappointing season, but after watching some more tape on him I'm sort of intrigued. We might as well swing for the fences and his potential is undeniable.

He is Kenneth Faried with half the motor (obviously a different mentality too, rawer generally) and maybe a chance to shoot it okay in time
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#207 » by realEAST » Mon May 20, 2019 1:45 pm

Fischella wrote:with the intel we have so far, it's looking like;

NO, Zion Williamson
Memphis, Ja Morant
NY, RJ Barrett
LA, Darius Garland
Cleveland, Jarrett Culver or De'Andre Hunter
Phoenix, Jarrett Culver or Coby White
Chicago, whoever is left between Culver, White and Hunter (likely White), or maybe a trade (?)
Atlanta, Cam Reddish
Washington, Jaxson Hayes, Goga Bitadze, Brandon Clarke or Sekou Doumbouya (would bet Goga)
Atlanta, one of the 3 remaining from the group above (would bet Hayes)
Minnesota, Rui Hachimura
Charlotte, Brandon Clarke's floor
Miami, PJ Washington, Romeo Langford, or the one guy remaining from the Hayes, Sekou, Bitadze group (would bet Sekou)
Boston, whoever the Pelicans want (I believe the AD trade ends up getting done before the Draft with this one included), if Boston keeps the pick my bet would be Tyler Herro

Interesting.

From players in our range, I'd keep a pick for Culver, otherwise if we could get a guy like Beal in trade (+Lauri/Wendell) I'd strongly entertain it.

Two questions - does this mean T'wolves are dead set on Hachimura? What about Sekou? (Isn't he closer to their desired 3&D type for that position?)

Do you still think Herro goes lotto after underwhelming measurment results at Combine?

(personally, wasn't ever high on him, but he did get serious traction at one point)
No-Man
RealGM

Post#208 » by No-Man » Mon May 20, 2019 1:51 pm

I think Herro's range is like 13th to 20th, can't see him getting past Boston there

Seems like Minnesota has promised Hachimura yeah, either them or the Heat, maybe even a team before them (Washington?)
bigworld2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

Post#209 » by bigworld2017 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:41 pm

Fischella wrote:I think Herro's range is like 13th to 20th, can't see him getting past Boston there

Seems like Minnesota has promised Hachimura yeah, either them or the Heat, maybe even a team before them (Washington?)

Herro looks too much like McDermott, and I don't mean their complexion. I suppose his ceiling is Kyle Korver. I'd pass on him until late First or early Second Round. Not a long term starter in my opinion.
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#210 » by taj2133 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:49 pm

Read on Twitter
No-Man
RealGM

Post#211 » by No-Man » Mon May 20, 2019 2:52 pm

Herro is a play-making Guard, better at pull-ups than spot-ups actually, he has bad length but does make plays and competes on D, likely going to be a one position defender and struggle against size though, but he is actually athletic

He is gonna get all the white guy type of comps but he is more of a combo-guard type than a standstill shooter, not saying he is going to be Devin Booker, but he is kinda what some that were high on Stauskas (who is a slow and bad athlete) thought Nik was when he was a top20 consensus guy in his Draft and ended up lotto

Probably limits you on defense too much, but I'd take the risk at some point, he really has real juice on offense on ball
ChicagoSportsFan21
Head Coach
And1: 1,661

Post#212 » by ChicagoSportsFan21 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:08 pm

It looks like Hunter will be the Bulls pick if they keep the pick assuming LA takes Garland, Cavs take Culver, and Suns take White which I think likely is going to happen (unless there are trades). Hunter would be my 4th choice in this group (ideally prefer one of the point guards and then Culver). Hunter is a good overall player who should be a great supporting cast kind of player but that’s it as he is not able to create his own shot at this point. You can take your chances on a Reddish who has more potential but had a rough season in college. I’ll go with the safer pick in Hunter personally.

Thoughts?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#213 » by doordoor123 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:21 pm

GimmeDat wrote:I wonder how high Sekou's ceiling is relative to Hunter. They're a similar archetype - 2-way combo forwards. Sekou's defense apparently has some bright sparks but is a real project and he has some areas of liability right now that he really has to develop on that end. He's also shot 29% from 3 in 600 minutes this season - his shot certainly looks comfortable and promising, but we shouldn't be expecting him to come in and shoot the ball well. He's 18 still, the potential is absolutely there, but it might be easy to watch the 34 point game (against pretty poor defense), and be kidded in to thinking he's already a polished player.

Hunter is an efficient shooter and has some pull-up/mid-range game. Is that exactly what Sekou aspires to be, or can he be more?

Even if Sekou's ceiling is somewhat higher, Hunter is basically at his own ceiling just about already. It's an interesting debate about who to take out of those 2. I think I'd go Hunter, he's already at a level defensively that Sekou's absolute ceiling is, and Hunter's still like 70-80% of what I think Sekou's offensive ceiling can be, I think.

Hunter is a much better prospect IMO. Going to the basket he can be very hard to stop and he’s already a good defender. There are times where he was just able to get a basket whenever he wanted. Sekou’s IQ on offense and defense is very questionable, but he’s long and fluid enough to be a plus defender, he runs the floor really well with the ball for his position and he can make open/corner threes. But there is a lot of skill missing, he also doesn’t have a soft touch. Reminds me of a younger Siakam, but I don’t see the same trajectory because Siakam was such a rare case. I like Sekou going to Indiana or Brooklyn if a team doesn’t fall in love with him early. A team that likes to push the ball and play to his strengths.
bigworld2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

Post#214 » by bigworld2017 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:22 pm

ChicagoSportsFan21 wrote:It looks like Hunter will be the Bulls pick if they keep the pick assuming LA takes Garland, Cavs take Culver, and Suns take White which I think likely is going to happen (unless there are trades). Hunter would be my 4th choice in this group (ideally prefer one of the point guards and then Culver). Hunter is a good overall player who should be a great supporting cast kind of player but that’s it as he is not able to create his own shot at this point. You can take your chances on a Reddish who has more potential but had a rough season in college. I’ll go with the safer pick in Hunter personally.

Thoughts?

Give me Hunter without hesitation. Proven player. Great defensive fundamentals. Good length. Can defend 1-4. Can hit open shots. Not a creator but a high BBIQ glue guy. Makes his teammates better. A lot like Porter in that sense. Almost no bust potential. Ready to contribute in Year 1. If he develops it allows us to shop Porter to free up money next summer when we have to extend Lauri. Hunter would be a strong pick at #7 if he's still on the board.
Bluewaterheaven
Assistant Coach
And1: 664

Post#215 » by Bluewaterheaven » Mon May 20, 2019 5:28 pm

If we get Hunter in the Draft, and walk away with Beverly/Brogdon and Rose or Taj for room mle I will be ecstatic.
Unknown wrote:Dwarves laugh when they run because the grass tickles their balls.
NDave79
Sixth Man
And1: 1,348

Post#216 » by NDave79 » Mon May 20, 2019 6:38 pm

While nbadraft.net doesn't always have the best reputation, they seem to be good at getting information after teams make decisions. Now there is a lot of time till the draft so a lot of things might change, but they have the following top 10 mock.

https://www.nbadraft.net/

NO-Zion
Memphis-Morant
NY-Barrett
LA-Hunter
CL-White
Phoenix-Garland
Bulls-Culver
Atl-Reddish
Wash-Hayes
Atl-Rui

They seem to think that the promises are Cleveland to White and Phoenix to Garland and they have been good at this sort of thing in the past.

There seems to be a lot of speculation that LA promised Garland, but IMO, (and which has already been pointed out by others) it doesn't make sense for LA to promise Garland when they can draft him if they want without promising. Why lose the flexibility of trading?

Also, I agree with those that have pointed out the potentially good fit with Sexton and White so I could see that.

Now, I actually think that LA will draft Garland (although Hunter makes sense as well with his shooting and all around game) if they don't make a trade, but it just doesn't make sense to make a promise imo.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,188

Post#217 » by kodo » Mon May 20, 2019 6:55 pm

NDave79 wrote:There seems to be a lot of speculation that LA promised Garland, but IMO, (and which has already been pointed out by others) it doesn't make sense for LA to promise Garland when they can draft him if they want without promising. Why lose the flexibility of trading?

They didn't. They could very well draft Garland at #4 but I don't believe there was ever a promise.

A ton of players have pulled out of the combine, and most of them without promises. It's mainly done to cause drama & rumors and also keep the kid healthy for private workouts which are the only ones that matter. Kids get hurt at this time of the year every year, happened last year as well to some top guys.

I can't remember a draft where a team drafting as high as #4 made a promise, promises are for teams drafting lower and players mocked to go lower.

There's no point in promising Garland at #4. What are they afraid that the Pels might draft Garland instead of Zion? Memphis will draft Garland instead of Morant?

At #4, you WANT Garland to be drafted higher, you don't want to stop that.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#218 » by Mech Engineer » Mon May 20, 2019 7:19 pm

bigworld2017 wrote:
ChicagoSportsFan21 wrote:It looks like Hunter will be the Bulls pick if they keep the pick assuming LA takes Garland, Cavs take Culver, and Suns take White which I think likely is going to happen (unless there are trades). Hunter would be my 4th choice in this group (ideally prefer one of the point guards and then Culver). Hunter is a good overall player who should be a great supporting cast kind of player but that’s it as he is not able to create his own shot at this point. You can take your chances on a Reddish who has more potential but had a rough season in college. I’ll go with the safer pick in Hunter personally.

Thoughts?

Give me Hunter without hesitation. Proven player. Great defensive fundamentals. Good length. Can defend 1-4. Can hit open shots. Not a creator but a high BBIQ glue guy. Makes his teammates better. A lot like Porter in that sense. Almost no bust potential. Ready to contribute in Year 1. If he develops it allows us to shop Porter to free up money next summer when we have to extend Lauri. Hunter would be a strong pick at #7 if he's still on the board.

If that's the case...I would think usually GarPax would pick Hunter. It gives them the flexibility for the future in salary cap if Hunter is decent enough. But, I also think, they would pick the best player available on their draft board or swing for the fences. Their #1 goal is to get a star not to fill a spot or draft a PG. They have nothing to lose and thinking of a starter to replace OPJ a year from now would be a bad idea.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#219 » by Am2626 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:49 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
cjbulls wrote:I know that isn’t exactly what you asked for, but the point is relevant that many players have been drafted that significantly outperform their college numbers. Their numbers didn’t justify their draft position but they were picked on traits. And Reddish is loaded with NBA traits.

College stats are so dangerous because there is such variance in team, conference, role, situation, etc. You’re making the same mistake I asked you not to make: you’re pulling Paul George’s sophomore season to compare it to Reddish’s freshman season. If Reddish went to Fresno State for two years, he’d probably have very different numbers, although we’ll never really know.

I hate being the Reddish defender when at best I have him eighth, but one season’s college numbers do not make a player. The key is trying to understand why those were his numbers. I don’t have an answer for why he struggled but I don’t have the access to information that NBA scouts have.

That wasn't the question. The question was: How many success stories are there with Reddish' development arc? The context is that Reddish entered the college season as an elite recruit, with Top-5 draft hype and had an awful season. There are other players who fit the bill and they were not good pros.

This is a much different question than wondering if a player with a higher floor will produce better in the NBA.

Reddish is starting from a poor baseilne. He had a worse season than Kevin Knox at Kentucky, and Knox went on to have a really bad rookie season. Did Reddish show NBA traits? Yes, but they're outweighed by bad traits. I don't understand why Paul George was even brought up. George was not an elite recruit, nor did he have a poor freshman season. If Reddish had George's freshman season, he'd easily be a Top-5 lock.

I agree that Reddish could've went back to Duke, improved, and entered the NBA with a better long-term outlook. As I said, the hope probably stems from the fact that he was turned into an exclusive catch/shoot player at Duke, which wasn't his game coming into the year. But, when you look deeper into what he did when he had the ball, it was a mixed bag.

If Reddish goes on to become a star, then more power to him. But, I prefer not to hope that players become anomalies. There's no process in that; it's just a random hunch.

In my opinion at 7 Reddish is worth the risk. The Bulls need a franchise changing talent. They have enough “good but not great” players already. I would rather the Bulls go with someone like Reddish at 7 instead of a Coby White, Culver, or Hunter. I even wouldn’t mind the Bulls trading down and getting Nassir Little.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#220 » by Am2626 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:55 pm

bigworld2017 wrote:

Thoughts?

That description sounds like half the core of this Bulls team. How does Hunter move the needle for the Bulls? Regarding freeing up money for who? What star free agent wants to come to this organization? Right now given the constraints that are created by this ownership group, FO, and coach the draft is really the only realistic way for this team to get better.

Return to Chicago Bulls