Wolves To Hire Ryan Saunders As Head Coach Permanently

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Wolves To Hire Ryan Saunders As Head Coach Permanently 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon May 20, 2019 12:00 pm

Ryan Saunders and the Minnesota Timberwolves are negotiating a deal to make him the permanent head coach.

Saunders replaced Tom Thibodeau as interim head coach in January.

Gersson Rosas was hired as president of basketball operations with no preconditions to retain Saunders.

Saunders received support from the Wolves' players in addition to Glen Taylor.

Via Jon Krawczynski/The Athletic

Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Re: Wolves To Hire Ryan Saunders As Head Coach Permanently 

Post#2 » by Dino353 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:39 pm

He was the right hire, he made Wiggins into a more efficient scorer as the season winded down. Now all they have to do is put Hachimura together with Wiggins and Towns and they'll be good to go. Maybe signing Collison in free-agency would not be a bad idea since he's a really good shooter.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#3 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:31 pm

Not that it matters too much, but were the conditions of deal released?
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#4 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 20, 2019 4:14 pm

This is a very dark day for the Timberwolves. They had several qualified candidates and one interim coach who had never even been a lead assistant. Choosing Saunders is akin to choosing Ndudi Ebi over Josh Howard so many years ago in the draft. Howard was IIRC ACC Player of the Year. Ebi was a high school guy who looked good guarding somebody in a practice.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#5 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 20, 2019 4:17 pm

Dino353 wrote:He was the right hire, he made Wiggins into a more efficient scorer as the season winded down. Now all they have to do is put Hachimura together with Wiggins and Towns and they'll be good to go. Maybe signing Collison in free-agency would not be a bad idea since he's a really good shooter.

Horrible decision. Saunders has never even been a lead assistant and the Wolves performed very poorly for him the half season he had. Nice guy and ex Coach's son doesn't make a person qualified to be an NBA Head Coach. This decision has possibly damaged us irreparably for 5-10 years.
As for Hachimura the next player he defends will be the first. He's an average athlete at best and doesn't have a reliable 3 point shot. I had high hopes for Rosas now I think he was a big mistake.
Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Post#6 » by Dino353 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:33 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Dino353 wrote:He was the right hire, he made Wiggins into a more efficient scorer as the season winded down. Now all they have to do is put Hachimura together with Wiggins and Towns and they'll be good to go. Maybe signing Collison in free-agency would not be a bad idea since he's a really good shooter.

Horrible decision. Saunders has never even been a lead assistant and the Wolves performed very poorly for him the half season he had. Nice guy and ex Coach's son doesn't make a person qualified to be an NBA Head Coach. This decision has possibly damaged us irreparably for 5-10 years.
As for Hachimura the next player he defends will be the first. He's an average athlete at best and doesn't have a reliable 3 point shot. I had high hopes for Rosas now I think he was a big mistake.

I think you are focusing on the negatives and not seeing the positives. Hachimura could be Derrick Williams 2.0 that is not bad at all. As for Saunders, the players wanted him back thats all the matters. Whether he is nice or rough, he has the respect of the team and they will rally behind him.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#7 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 20, 2019 4:42 pm

Dino353 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

I think you are focusing on the negatives and not seeing the positives. Hachimura could be Derrick Williams 2.0 that is not bad at all. As for Saunders, the players wanted him back thats all the matters. Whether he is nice or rough, he has the respect of the team and they will rally behind him.

Being a guy the players like/respect is not nearly enough credentials to be an NBA HC. If he applied for a HC job with any other team in the league he would be laughed out of the office.
Hachimura is not nearly the athlete that Williams was and Williams actually shot the college three very well.
interchangeable
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by interchangeable » Mon May 20, 2019 4:50 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Dino353 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Horrible decision. Saunders has never even been a lead assistant and the Wolves performed very poorly for him the half season he had. Nice guy and ex Coach's son doesn't make a person qualified to be an NBA Head Coach. This decision has possibly damaged us irreparably for 5-10 years.

Being a guy the players like/respect is not nearly enough credentials to be an NBA HC. If he applied for a HC job with any other team in the league he would be laughed out of the office.
Hachimura is not nearly the athlete that Williams was and Williams actually shot the college three very well.

Saunders has a long record of assistant coach experience. Why do you only assume that he's "a former coach's son and a nice guy" but ignore literally all of his experience? What are you trying to prove with your willful ignorance?
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,989

Post#9 » by Laimbeer » Mon May 20, 2019 4:53 pm

Let's face it, he only got the job because he was Flip's son. Emotional decision.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#10 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 20, 2019 4:55 pm

interchangeable wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Dino353 wrote:

Saunders has a long record of assistant coach experience. Why do you only assume that he's "a former coach's son and a nice guy" but ignore literally all of his experience? What are you trying to prove with your willful ignorance?

He was never even a lead assistant and his experience was all with losing teams. That does not get a person consideration for Head Coaching jobs anywhere other than with the Wolves. The other candidates were all lead assistants or associate head coaches with successful teams.
interchangeable
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#11 » by interchangeable » Mon May 20, 2019 5:49 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
interchangeable wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Being a guy the players like/respect is not nearly enough credentials to be an NBA HC. If he applied for a HC job with any other team in the league he would be laughed out of the office.

He was never even a lead assistant and his experience was all with losing teams. That does not get a person consideration for Head Coaching jobs anywhere other than with the Wolves. The other candidates were all lead assistants or associate head coaches with successful teams.

You're shifting the argument from "he's only the son of a coach and a good guy." Sorry but you're obviously not acting in good faith here, can't take you seriously. Ryan did fine as HC during the season. There are so many bad "lead assistant" and even head coaches out there. It sounds like you would rather hire an awful coach with a "proven record" of being horrible, just because of experience and literally nothing else :crazy:
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#12 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 20, 2019 6:11 pm

interchangeable wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
interchangeable wrote:

You're shifting the argument from "he's only the son of a coach and a good guy." Sorry but you're obviously not acting in good faith here, can't take you seriously. Ryan did fine as HC during the season. There are so many bad "lead assistant" and even head coaches out there. It sounds like you would rather hire an awful coach with a "proven record" of being horrible, just because of experience and literally nothing else :crazy:

You couldn't be more wrong about my stand if you tried. Ryan got the interim gig just because he was the assistant that wasn't brought in by Thibodeau. He has never been above a 4th or so assistant in the pecking order. I don't want to hire awful lead assistants or awful head coaches I wanted us to hire a good lead assistant.

Look at the credentials of Finch, Vanderpool, and Ham and compare them to Saunders. It's night and day difference. Saunders was completely unsuccessful in his interim stint. Yes the team had injuries so it wasn't his fault, but to hire him over far more qualified applicants is a horrible decision. I have nothing personal against him I never even met him, but he's not qualified and if you are discussing in good faith you would admit that.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#13 » by BigHustle » Mon May 20, 2019 7:21 pm

Laimbeer wrote:Let's face it, he only got the job because he was Flip's son. Emotional decision.

It was emotional and KAT May like him but how much longer will he tolerate losing seasons?
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#14 » by Killboard » Mon May 20, 2019 7:57 pm

Rosas already has spoken and the N1 task is make KAT succesful.Wiggins shouldnt be any factor in the coach decision. Is a bad player who doesnt contribute winning except the ocasional 30pt game where he wont play defense anyway. I think we must eat some years on that contract and make him look as good as we can, but just to trade him. As for Hachimura he is a offensive player who cant shoot 3's or pass or rebound. No thanks.

Collison actuallly make sense but I doubt he leaves Indy. Joseph is also someone I would pursuit making Teague expiring expendable.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#15 » by Killboard » Mon May 20, 2019 8:00 pm

KGdaBom wrote:This is a very dark day for the Timberwolves. They had several qualified candidates and one interim coach who had never even been a lead assistant. Choosing Saunders is akin to choosing Ndudi Ebi over Josh Howard so many years ago in the draft. Howard was IIRC ACC Player of the Year. Ebi was a high school guy who looked good guarding somebody in a practice.

Is not like the other guys are coaching right now, 29 other teams also are passing on them. Im not saying Ryan is definetly the best choice, but Im not sure the other guys are going to be HoF and KAT knows and respect Ryan. Maybe after what the previous regime did is a good way to show him we care about his input.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#16 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 20, 2019 8:33 pm

Killboard wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:This is a very dark day for the Timberwolves. They had several qualified candidates and one interim coach who had never even been a lead assistant. Choosing Saunders is akin to choosing Ndudi Ebi over Josh Howard so many years ago in the draft. Howard was IIRC ACC Player of the Year. Ebi was a high school guy who looked good guarding somebody in a practice.

Is not like the other guys are coaching right now, 29 other teams also are passing on them. Im not saying Ryan is definetly the best choice, but Im not sure the other guys are going to be HoF and KAT knows and respect Ryan. Maybe after what the previous regime did is a good way to show him we care about his input.

Nobody is Head Coaching until they are. The candidates other than Saunders had impeccable assistant coaching resumes as lead assistant or associate head coach with mostly winning organizations. Saunders was never even a lead assistant. That is why I say his credentials were being Flip's son and KAT liking him. To me that isn't enough. I guess to you it is. Ryan getting the job totally reminds me of Ebi being drafted over Howard. It's a great analogy. As a Wolves fan I don't see how anybody can see this happen and not feel like a piece of their heart is being ripped out. I guess we have been conditioned to accept whatever happens.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#17 » by Killboard » Mon May 20, 2019 8:47 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Killboard wrote:

Nobody is Head Coaching until they are. The candidates other than Saunders had impeccable assistant coaching resumes as lead assistant or associate head coach with mostly winning organizations. Saunders was never even a lead assistant. That is why I say his credentials were being Flip's son and KAT liking him. To me that isn't enough. I guess to you it is. Ryan getting the job totally reminds me of Ebi being drafted over Howard. It's a great analogy. As a Wolves fan I don't see how anybody can see this happen and not feel like a piece of their heart is being ripped out. I guess we have been conditioned to accept whatever happens.

I would be much more confident if I know for sure it was Rosas decision without any conditional. I suppose it is, because the guy already step aside of an organization without control. But talking strictly about Ryan perfomance, he was 17-24 without Roco and a 4th string PG (Bayless, Cannan, Terrel) in the mix in almost every of his games and KBD soaking minutes from Taj. Thibs was 19-22 with his darling Jimbo/Roco and the best Rose of the last 5 seasons, and I dont have to point you Thibs resume. Im fine with giving him a full preseason based on that and KAT input.

If we fall off of the playoff hunt before April comes I think the Ryan experiment should be over. But I understand Rosas if he wants to earn to confidence of the ownership, fanbase and roster (specially KAT) doing an slow transition in the organization. Giving Ryan a full season to prove himself worthy, accepting the input of key pieces as Casson, Taylor and Towns, while changing the culture of the front office (New Defacto GM signing today too), the scouts, medical and training staff, then the roster biggest concerns. When all the scenario is set, and if Ryan isnt who Taylor and KAT thought, you take the heat and replace him with your guy, knowing you've set up the pieces for long term success.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#18 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 20, 2019 9:05 pm

Killboard wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Killboard wrote:

I would be much more confident if I know for sure it was Rosas decision without any conditional. I suppose it is, because the guy already step aside of an organization without control. But talking strictly about Ryan perfomance, he was 17-24 without Roco and a 4th string PG (Bayless, Cannan, Terrel) in the mix in almost every of his games and KBD soaking minutes from Taj. Thibs was 19-22 with his darling Jimbo/Roco and the best Rose of the last 5 seasons, and I dont have to point you Thibs resume. Im fine with giving him a full preseason based on that and KAT input.

If we fall off of the playoff hunt before April comes I think the Ryan experiment should be over. But I understand Rosas if he wants to earn to confidence of the ownership, fanbase and roster (specially KAT) doing an slow transition in the organization. Giving Ryan a full season to prove himself worthy, accepting the input of key pieces as Casson, Taylor and Towns, while changing the culture of the front office (New Defacto GM signing today too), the scouts, medical and training staff, then the roster biggest concerns. When all the scenario is set, and if Ryan isnt who Taylor and KAT thought, you take the heat and replace him with your guy, knowing you've set up the pieces for long term success.
It's the best we can hope for now.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#19 » by Dewey » Mon May 20, 2019 9:55 pm

I'm going to assume Gersson knows what was looking for ... a young up and coming coach that has some pedigree, analytical skills, and player respect. He's been waiting a long time for this opportunity and I doubt he passes over and substantially better option. From here, assistants will be critical. Will be very interesting to see who they are able to bring in.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
GooniousMaximus
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#20 » by GooniousMaximus » Tue May 21, 2019 12:12 am

I highly doubt it was an "emotional" decision based on Coach Flip, that's been 4 years coming, and though I have no idea if he was off limits during Coach Mitchell or Thibs, but I'm sure he wouldn't have been around if he not purposeful.

I don't understand the dislike or how its worse or whatever compared to other coaches...we brought in an outside coach in Thibs and that was a nightmare. I have confidence if someone is running things now he would get what he needs in here and not waste time to get things prepped for next year.

Return to Wiretap Discussion