ImageImageImageImage

NBA Draft 2019 Who Should Orlando Draft with the 16th and 46th pick?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Re: NBA Draft 2019 Who Should Orlando Draft with the 16th and 46th pick? 

Post#341 » by The Effect » Mon May 20, 2019 8:32 pm

Im liking Herro more and more, would be pretty happy if we took him at 16
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#342 » by KillMonger » Tue May 21, 2019 1:40 am

The Effect wrote:Im liking Herro more and more, would be pretty happy if we took him at 16
But..... But.... He has a negative wingspan.... That's all that matters around here.... You know..... Long bois.... Except we got a team full of players that can't hit shots consistently besides vuc and ross when he's hot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,100

Post#343 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Tue May 21, 2019 1:44 am

Solid Snake wrote:
The Effect wrote:Im liking Herro more and more, would be pretty happy if we took him at 16
But..... But.... He has a negative wingspan.... That's all that matters around here.... You know..... Long bois.... Except we got a team full of players that can't hit shots consistently besides vuc and ross when he's hot.

If NAW, KPJ, Langford, Okpala are all off the bird at 16 and it’s Herro or big man yeah I’d take Herro
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Young Thunder
Sophomore
And1: 112

Post#344 » by Young Thunder » Tue May 21, 2019 2:12 pm

Read on Twitter
MagicFrenchie
Senior
And1: 794

Post#345 » by MagicFrenchie » Tue May 21, 2019 2:24 pm

Serbian League is the trashiest of trash competitons , he's not dominating grown men he's dominating old men.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#346 » by The Effect » Tue May 21, 2019 7:38 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Solid Snake wrote:

If NAW, KPJ, Langford, Okpala are all off the bird at 16 and it’s Herro or big man yeah I’d take Herro

NAW is the only one id consider taking over Herro, and even then its not a slam dunk
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,299

Post#347 » by NotACat » Tue May 21, 2019 8:23 pm

The Effect wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Solid Snake wrote:But..... But.... He has a negative wingspan.... That's all that matters around here.... You know..... Long bois.... Except we got a team full of players that can't hit shots consistently besides vuc and ross when he's hot.

NAW is the only one id consider taking over Herro, and even then its not a slam dunk

I like Herro, but there's no chance we're going to draft him. He simply doesn't have the length our FO is looking for in every player they acquire.
Black Lives Matter
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#348 » by KillMonger » Tue May 21, 2019 9:00 pm

NotACat wrote:
The Effect wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:

I like Herro, but there's no chance we're going to draft him. He simply doesn't have the length our FO is looking for in every player they acquire.
Neither does coby white but I doubt anyone would here would pass on him even with the negative wingspan. Yeah it's been about length in recent years but to me our playoff run exposed the fact that beyond vuc and T-Ross we had nothing offensively. Let's not ignore a glaring need simply because dudes arms isn't long enough

Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,450

Post#349 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:44 pm

MagicFrenchie wrote:Serbian League is the trashiest of trash competitons , he's not dominating grown men he's dominating old men.

They said similar tales about Jokic ijs
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#350 » by Skin » Tue May 21, 2019 11:01 pm

He's coming in for a visit. T-Rex arms though... would WeHam take him? I have my doubts.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skin
RealGM

Post#351 » by Skin » Tue May 21, 2019 11:08 pm

Solid Snake wrote:
NotACat wrote:
The Effect wrote:NAW is the only one id consider taking over Herro, and even then its not a slam dunk

Neither does coby white but I doubt anyone would here would pass on him even with the negative wingspan. Yeah it's been about length in recent years but to me our playoff run exposed the fact that beyond vuc and T-Ross we had nothing offensively. Let's not ignore a glaring need simply because dudes arms isn't long enough

You're right, it's not just about wingspan.... but there's a reason why people wouldn't feel good about passing on White as they would about Herro. White is a 6'5 PG (big in terms of PG standards) who is also a dynamic player and can affect all parts of the game including who he can defend. Herro is just a shooter and a complete liability on defense. It's not the same.
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#352 » by Def Swami » Tue May 21, 2019 11:10 pm

Speaking of Herro
Read on Twitter
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#353 » by KillMonger » Tue May 21, 2019 11:13 pm

Skin wrote:
Solid Snake wrote:
NotACat wrote:I like Herro, but there's no chance we're going to draft him. He simply doesn't have the length our FO is looking for in every player they acquire.

You're right, it's not just about wingspan.... but there's a reason why people wouldn't feel good about passing on White as they would about Herro. White is a 6'5 PG (big in terms of PG standards) who is also a dynamic player and can affect all parts of the game including who he can defend. Herro is just a shooter and a complete liability on defense. It's not the same.
We must not be talking about the same player then because the herro I saw wasn't just a shooter. This dude was pulling off harden step backs and euros against comp. The stats might say different but my eyes tell me he's about an average defender. Anything he lacks defensively is not because of a lack of effort he has a high motor. To me he's a professional scorer(not shooter) who's maybe average defensively... But I'm not worried about defense I mean sheeesh we got DJ augustine defending.... Offense is the problem

Skin
RealGM

Post#354 » by Skin » Tue May 21, 2019 11:31 pm

Solid Snake wrote:
Skin wrote:
Solid Snake wrote:Neither does coby white but I doubt anyone would here would pass on him even with the negative wingspan. Yeah it's been about length in recent years but to me our playoff run exposed the fact that beyond vuc and T-Ross we had nothing offensively. Let's not ignore a glaring need simply because dudes arms isn't long enough

We must not be talking about the same player then because the herro I saw wasn't just a shooter. This dude was pulling off harden step backs and euros against comp. The stats might say different but my eyes tell me he's about an average defender. Anything he lacks defensively is not because of a lack of effort he has a high motor. To me he's a professional scorer(not shooter) who's maybe average defensively... But I'm not worried about defense I mean sheeesh we got DJ augustine defending.... Offense is the problem

It's not lack of motor, it's lack of athleticism. He plays below the rim. Combine that with short arms... the things he was able to get away with in college will be much harder in the NBA. I'll give him credit for having control on his handle though. Nobody at 16 is perfect, but I have to imagine a big part of WeHam's vision for this team will fail if they don't have long bois at every position. hah
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#355 » by Xatticus » Wed May 22, 2019 12:12 am

Skin wrote:
Solid Snake wrote:
Skin wrote:You're right, it's not just about wingspan.... but there's a reason why people wouldn't feel good about passing on White as they would about Herro. White is a 6'5 PG (big in terms of PG standards) who is also a dynamic player and can affect all parts of the game including who he can defend. Herro is just a shooter and a complete liability on defense. It's not the same.

It's not lack of motor, it's lack of athleticism. He plays below the rim. Combine that with short arms... the things he was able to get away with in college will be much harder in the NBA. I'll give him credit for having control on his handle though. Nobody at 16 is perfect, but I have to imagine a big part of WeHam's vision for this team will fail if they don't have long bois at every position. hah

I don't hate Herro as a prospect. I haven't watched him play in full games, so you are at the mercy of the individuals that compile the highlight reels. I think you can take as much from what you don't see in highlight reels as what you do see though.

The guy is a shot maker. His shot is beautiful, consistent, and quick. He is a versatile shooter as well. His pull up game looks good. I love how he uses his body to shield defenders when he lays the ball up around the basket. He is very much an off ball threat though. His dribble doesn't take him anywhere useful. He can't find the passes when he initiates the pick-and-roll. His assist rate was alright, but his vision looks suspect in his highlight reels. The free throw percentage is reaffirming.

I hate to say it, because it feels like a lazy comparison, but JJ Redick seems an appropriate comparison to me. I thought Redick's athleticism was unfairly attacked as well and I think it did a disservice to him. Herro is physically limited, but he isn't a bad athlete. Redick was really good at some nuanced things though, like entry passes. I just don't know if Herro has those skills at present.

It seems really unlikely to me that he is going to be able to create offense. This idea that we lack shooting is gaining traction again, but our much bigger issue is a lack of facilitators. Tyler Herro is not a facilitator. He is a guy you run plays for if you want to get him the ball while going to the basket in a halfcourt set. It will take a screen or two and he hasn't shown that he is capable making the right pass if he is closed down. He will shoot well on the open shots you create for him, but I don't expect that he will create many open shots for the offense, so you just hope that he develops into a solid ball mover.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Skin
RealGM

Post#356 » by Skin » Wed May 22, 2019 12:20 am

Xatticus wrote:
Skin wrote:
Solid Snake wrote:We must not be talking about the same player then because the herro I saw wasn't just a shooter. This dude was pulling off harden step backs and euros against comp. The stats might say different but my eyes tell me he's about an average defender. Anything he lacks defensively is not because of a lack of effort he has a high motor. To me he's a professional scorer(not shooter) who's maybe average defensively... But I'm not worried about defense I mean sheeesh we got DJ augustine defending.... Offense is the problem

I don't hate Herro as a prospect. I haven't watched him play in full games, so you are at the mercy of the individuals that compile the highlight reels. I think you can take as much from what you don't see in highlight reels as what you do see though.

The guy is a shot maker. His shot is beautiful, consistent, and quick. He is a versatile shooter as well. His pull up game looks good. I love how he uses his body to shield defenders when he lays the ball up around the basket. He is very much an off ball threat though. His dribble doesn't take him anywhere useful. He can't find the passes when he initiates the pick-and-roll. His assist rate was alright, but his vision looks suspect in his highlight reels. The free throw percentage is reaffirming.

I hate to say it, because it feels like a lazy comparison, but JJ Redick seems an appropriate comparison to me. I thought Redick's athleticism was unfairly attacked as well and I think it did a disservice to him. Herro is physically limited, but he isn't a bad athlete. Redick was really good at some nuanced things though, like entry passes. I just don't know if Herro has those skills at present.

It seems really unlikely to me that he is going to be able to create offense. This idea that we lack shooting is gaining traction again, but our much bigger issue is a lack of facilitators. Tyler Herro is not a facilitator. He is a guy you run plays for if you want to get him the ball while going to the basket in a halfcourt set. It will take a screen or two and he hasn't shown that he is capable making the right pass if he is closed down. He will shoot well on the open shots you create for him, but I don't expect that he will create many open shots for the offense, so you just hope that he develops into a solid ball mover.

Probably the biggest thing I like about NAW is his ability to be a playmaking facilitator for others. That shouldn't be overlooked. Liked your critique on Herro in that regard.
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#357 » by KillMonger » Wed May 22, 2019 12:44 am

Xatticus wrote:
Skin wrote:
Solid Snake wrote:We must not be talking about the same player then because the herro I saw wasn't just a shooter. This dude was pulling off harden step backs and euros against comp. The stats might say different but my eyes tell me he's about an average defender. Anything he lacks defensively is not because of a lack of effort he has a high motor. To me he's a professional scorer(not shooter) who's maybe average defensively... But I'm not worried about defense I mean sheeesh we got DJ augustine defending.... Offense is the problem

I guess it depends what you expect from #16, i would be a lot more encouraged if this was a stonger draft but it's extremely top heavy. I'm looking at the roster and while I agree facilitating is probably the slightly worse concern....

Although what's the point of facilitating to players that can't hit a shot. We don't get calls so no one attacks the rim. We need another guy who can do both, NAW and to a lesser extent herro can do that. With herro specifically I'll take the offense and be happy that I don't have to motivate him to play defense, I can work with that. What I can't work with is bringing in another project that can't shoot. Getting back to my original point though I guess it comes down to what you want at #16 and i'm thinking at best a 6th man type....but hey we might get lucky

KillMonger
RealGM

Post#358 » by KillMonger » Wed May 22, 2019 4:11 am

yooooooooo....i totally forgot about this dude....any word on jaylen hands? i know he declared....haven't heard any buzz on him
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#359 » by KillMonger » Wed May 22, 2019 4:38 am

S.I post-combine mock about prospects in our range

15.Detroit Pistons PISTONS: ROMEO LANGFORD, SG, INDIANA
Height: 6'6" | Weight: 215 | Freshman

It’s been hard to find teams particularly enamored with Langford after the season he just had, and though his body and athletic tools look the part, there are valid concerns about the holes in his skill set, particularly his ongoing jump shooting struggles. While Langford was mostly productive and played through a thumb injury, he struggles to create good shots off the dribble and lacks a degree of creativity to his game that will create problems against better defenders. The Pistons need help on the wing, and at this point in the draft, it’s easier to justify taking the plunge.

16.Orlando Magic MAGIC: TYLER HERRO, SG, KENTUCKY
Height: 6’6” | Weight: 190 | Freshman

The Magic need shooting, and negative wingspan be damned, Herro’s ability to stroke from distance and surprisingly well-rounded skill set will make him an appealing fit to a lot of teams. While there are still some physical limitations he’ll face at the next level, he’s proven he’s more than just a specialist and added value in other ways for Kentucky. If he can refine his on-the-move shooting into an elite skill, Herro should be able to hang around the NBA for a long while.

17.Brooklyn Nets NETS: BOL BOL, C, OREGON
Height: 7'2" | Weight: 235 | Freshman

As the Nets continue to try and add depth up front, Bol offers tangible upside but also a good deal of risk. Where he eventually lands will have a lot to do as teams obtain access to his medicals and get a better sense of his long-term health picture. There aren’t many players like Bol, a jump shooting 7-footer with a natural stroke, and even with the clear holes in his game and questions about his work ethic, at some point in the draft it will become tenable to roll the dice. The fact he weighed in light at the combine, even coming off injury, is a little scary and makes you wonder how well he can keep weight on. A team with multiple first-rounders would be best positioned to select Bol and take the gamble; his range is somewhat wide because of how divisive he can be from team to team.

18. Indiana Pacers PACERS: NICKEIL ALEXANDER-WALKER, SG, VIRGINIA TECH
Height: 6'5" | Weight: 205 | Sophomore

Indiana can go a variety of directions with this pick, with a good chunk of their roster set to hit free agency and a big off-season ahead. Adding perimeter talent makes the most sense, with Myles Turner and Domantas Sabonis entrenched up front. What Alexander-Walker lacks in athletic upside and innate ability attacking the basket, he should be able to compensate for with feel and skill, and he could be a strong eventual fit playing off of Victor Oladipo.

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/05/20/nba-mock-draft-pelicans-grizzlies-knicks-lakers-zion-williamson-ja-morant-rj-barrett-post-combine
pinoynurse
Rookie
And1: 353

Post#360 » by pinoynurse » Wed May 22, 2019 5:37 am

herro reminds me of redick, and i dont mind having redick 2.0
From strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail.

Return to Orlando Magic