ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft team needs

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,247

Re: Draft team needs 

Post#21 » by xdrta+ » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:34 pm

donkeylips wrote:i want a lou williams type player. someone that can carry the offensive load while curry, klay and durant are sitting.

So does every team in the league.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#22 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:20 am

donkeylips wrote:i want a lou williams type player. someone that can carry the offensive load while curry, klay and durant are sitting.

That's not a player you draft. You have to find that player already in the league.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#23 » by Mylie10 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:41 am

I think Kendrick Nunn was that type of scorer, but efficiency is lacking a bit from him. But if he aged well in that aspect he'd be a good scorer off the bench.

To bad he got signed.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#24 » by wco81 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:09 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:One more year for Iguodala as a rotation player.

I don't think you're going to get someone approaching Iggy's abilities late in the draft. For one thing, he was a high lotto pick because of his athleticism and wingspan. Even if he couldn't shoot consistently, those elite attributes translated into a great defender.

Iggy still has great bounce. Yes they have to try to develop potential replacements or trade/sign one. Question for him at this age is how durable he will be, the rest of the playoffs and going into the final year of his deal.

Iggy said earlier this year he may be done after next year.

But then more recently, he supposedly talked about playing at least 2-3 more years.

Athletically, he absolutely looks like he could. Again the issue is durability and salary. He may not be interested in a discount, given what happens in free agency this year with all the buyers.

If the Warriors win the title again with him playing key minutes, it's going to be hard to deny he's worth what he's making now.

Sure the WArriors are in a tough spot cap-wise but if they move into Chase Center off another championship and they're just raking in the dollars, why would he care about the Warriors' cap situation.

Of course last time, he leveraged Houston to get his deal. When his deal is up after next season, most of the other contenders will be capped out. So he'd have to go to some rising team or maybe a bad team in order to get that kind of money again.

Tough thing is they have to manage his minutes during the regular season so if he's taking up a lot of cap space and not able to play as many minutes, it's another very top-heavy roster.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#25 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:42 pm

wco81 wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:One more year for Iguodala as a rotation player.

I don't think you're going to get someone approaching Iggy's abilities late in the draft. For one thing, he was a high lotto pick because of his athleticism and wingspan. Even if he couldn't shoot consistently, those elite attributes translated into a great defender.

Iggy still has great bounce. Yes they have to try to develop potential replacements or trade/sign one. Question for him at this age is how durable he will be, the rest of the playoffs and going into the final year of his deal.

Iggy said earlier this year he may be done after next year.

But then more recently, he supposedly talked about playing at least 2-3 more years.

Athletically, he absolutely looks like he could. Again the issue is durability and salary. He may not be interested in a discount, given what happens in free agency this year with all the buyers.

If the Warriors win the title again with him playing key minutes, it's going to be hard to deny he's worth what he's making now.

Sure the WArriors are in a tough spot cap-wise but if they move into Chase Center off another championship and they're just raking in the dollars, why would he care about the Warriors' cap situation.

Of course last time, he leveraged Houston to get his deal. When his deal is up after next season, most of the other contenders will be capped out. So he'd have to go to some rising team or maybe a bad team in order to get that kind of money again.

Tough thing is they have to manage his minutes during the regular season so if he's taking up a lot of cap space and not able to play as many minutes, it's another very top-heavy roster.

Yes, teams don't get an Iguodala level player late in the draft very often unless we are talking about the Spurs.

Iguodalla looked nice takinging off from a ways out and dunking between to Clippers in game 6. The last 2 regular seasons Iguodala has looked like he was aging. I have been watching the game for a long time and have seen a lot of players get old. Maybe we get 2 more years of high level play from Iguodala but that is all. I am not saying that Iguodala can't be a good 9th man 3 years from now. I just am betting that Iguodala won't be a good 6th man 2 years from now. I sort of hope Iguodala sticks around at a reasonable salary after his body can't do what he has been doing. I think Iguodala might be very important for team chemistry and team leadership.

If KD stays we will find out just how much luxury tax the Warriors are willing to spend. I doubt the Warriors will want to over pay Iguodala or anybody but I am not sure that the luxury tax will stop the Warriors from spending.
wco81
RealGM

Post#26 » by wco81 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:11 pm

While they're paying big salaries to Steph and Klay, they're going to want to try to maximize their ceiling while they're still in their prime.

Whether or not KD stays.

So how much would a great defender, glue guy, playmaker cost for the Warriors if they tried to replace him?

My guess is there aren't too many out there who wouldn't cost at least an 8-figure salary.

I see a player like Bridges for Charlotte, who's a big time finisher and has the physical tools to be able to defend. But it may take him a couple of seasons to become a defender like Iggy.

Another good young defender is Taurean Prince, who did one of the best individual defending against Durant when the Hawks came to Oakland this season. He can shoot it a bit too but he's coming up for a big payday, though the Hawks may move him instead.

Yeah players late in the draft either lack elite athleticism or even any kind of skills. If they had all those attributes, they go top 10 or higher.

Maybe the Warriors can find value in a wing who hasn't panned out and may not have many buyers this year. Stanley Johnson and Hollis-Jefferson may be in that category, good athletes but haven't been able to shoot consistently so they may not get big offers.

They may get more than minimum salary offers but in case they don't ...
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Post#27 » by cdubbz » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:59 am

Wish I knew more about college players, but a Patrick McCaw type player. Rookie that can defend the wing, have some energetic plays and has potential.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
radtech
Senior
And1: 46

Post#28 » by radtech » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:17 am

Chuma Okeke and/or Matisse Thybulle in the draft. Youth and size to match up with the younger teams like the Kings. The more wings the better. Bench scoring like Wayne Ellington, Jamal Crawford, Robin Lopez to fill the vet center role, and Stanley Johnson.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#29 » by cdubbz » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:48 am

BolBol
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:38 pm

Offer Iguodala a 2 year deal at the minimum and a 5 year guaranteed coaching contract at $10M a year to follow. He gets his money and the team gets cap relief.

I want Kerr to be more willing to play the young guys during the season.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#31 » by cdubbz » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:29 am

The Atlanta Hawks have 5 draft picks and 3 second rounders. Will they take cash considerations?

I’d love to trade our rookie (honestly forgot his name) for a second rounder.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#32 » by Samurai » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:10 am

Scoots1994 wrote:Offer Iguodala a 2 year deal at the minimum and a 5 year guaranteed coaching contract at $10M a year to follow. He gets his money and the team gets cap relief.

Isn't $10M/year double what Kerr is making (5 years for $25M)? How confident are you that Kerr or the other assistant coaches will be comfortable with this>?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Scoots1994 » Thu May 2, 2019 2:55 am

Samurai wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:Offer Iguodala a 2 year deal at the minimum and a 5 year guaranteed coaching contract at $10M a year to follow. He gets his money and the team gets cap relief.

Isn't $10M/year double what Kerr is making (5 years for $25M)? How confident are you that Kerr or the other assistant coaches will be comfortable with this>?

They would probably understand. And coaches salaries are not generally released.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#34 » by Samurai » Thu May 2, 2019 3:52 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
Samurai wrote:

They would probably understand. And coaches salaries are not generally released.

I have my doubts. If your company hired a person to the same position level that you have except a) the new person has zero experience and you have several years of experience and b) the new person would be making double what your boss makes, you would "understand"? I am very skeptical.
CalGTR
Junior
And1: 248

Post#35 » by CalGTR » Sat May 4, 2019 8:38 pm

We need a Kyle Kuzma-type hit with that late first round or second round pick. Kuzma was second round. He's not a perfect player, but he has length and can get shots. We definitely need to start hitting on some draft picks again. Hopefully Evans will become playable. It will be great to get Damian Jones back, as he looked to be developing nicely. It will be interesting to see who ends up with our mid-level exemption this year. Gotta have someone that can truly contribute. This squad can continue to compete for championships post-KD (assuming he leaves, which I hope he does not), but we need to add a wing that can shoot and play defense somehow. And, we'll definitely need to add someone to the roster that can bring the ball up and initiate the offense to replace Shaun. Tough to do, but that's where we'll be if KD leaves.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Scoots1994 » Sun May 19, 2019 11:20 pm

I want Grant Williams. Unfortunately the whole NBA is looking for 6'7" all around smart basketball players who can defend up and down position now.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#37 » by cdubbz » Wed May 22, 2019 2:13 pm

not a lot of big men late in this year's draft looking at mock drafts -- we'll need to find a big via Free agency.

We draft BPA.
FunkNinerFlex
Freshman
And1: 8

Post#38 » by FunkNinerFlex » Wed May 22, 2019 2:49 pm

Since the Warriors are in “win as much as they can mode”, do they take a player who is older and may be able to contribute immediately such as SF Cameron Johnson of UNC or PG Ty Jerome of Virginia? Or take a young big man such as C Nicolas Claxton of Georgia? He’s a modern day big but is raw with exciting potential if he decides to stay in the draft.
I’m a sucker for potential so I’m leaning toward a big like Claxton lol
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#39 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed May 22, 2019 3:37 pm

cdubbz wrote:BolBol

I hope he drops to us because of the injury, could be a nice project like Looney. I think because of name recognition he’ll go way before us though.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
wco81
RealGM

Post#40 » by wco81 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:13 pm

FunkNinerFlex wrote:Since the Warriors are in “win as much as they can mode”, do they take a player who is older and may be able to contribute immediately such as SF Cameron Johnson of UNC or PG Ty Jerome of Virginia? Or take a young big man such as C Nicolas Claxton of Georgia? He’s a modern day big but is raw with exciting potential if he decides to stay in the draft.
I’m a sucker for potential so I’m leaning toward a big like Claxton lol

No projects, get the BPA.

Though picking in the high 20s, they're probably going to get projects or someone who needs development.

Return to Golden State Warriors